PDA

View Full Version : Check this out....Real life power armour?

Brother Enok
17-04-2008, 09:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2jlIRKswnQ

Maybe the little brother of Astartes power armour, TDA or Bionics. Pretty exciting stuff :cool:

Dragonlv8
17-04-2008, 10:13
thats pretty cool but not quite power armour.
Last time I cheaked Marines where epic strong without there armor on as well but all well.

Rockerfella
17-04-2008, 10:21
Yeah, saw ths on the news last night. Pretty cool isn't it. The marine there can pull dwn 200lbs easy with the support from the power frame, but on his own, can't do it.

I'm wondering though if they'll be able to adapt it for combat purposes. At the moment, this seems to be an idea driven to help logisitcally. Loading and unloading etc.

Leogun_91
17-04-2008, 10:28
I'm wondering though if they'll be able to adapt it for combat purposes. At the moment, this seems to be an idea driven to help logisitcally. Loading and unloading etc.
I just hope they won´t. The world doesn´t need another weapon (but wargames do).

CaptainSenioris
17-04-2008, 10:29
Look like a mini version of the exosuits from the matrix

Tommygun
17-04-2008, 10:32
The single biggest problem with all these devices is power. Even with a small gas generator it might only run for an hour or two. Even less on electric batteries. Unless someone invents some radically new battery or power generating technology, this will never be practical in the real world.

MvS
17-04-2008, 11:47
Power issues aside (roll on matter-antimatter generators and/or 'cold' fusion), this does look like the very early days of power armour. Interesting stuff.

kryptt
17-04-2008, 12:21
Dude that was freaky!:eek: I hope were not helping create the chaos gods.lol

Müller
17-04-2008, 13:05
First... this isn't at all anything new...

The single biggest problem with all these devices is power. Even with a small gas generator it might only run for an hour or two. Even less on electric batteries. Unless someone invents some radically new battery or power generating technology, this will never be practical in the real world.

Regarding this statement... well yes, very true but how about a small nuclear reactor?

Koryphaus
17-04-2008, 14:04
Regarding this statement... well yes, very true but how about a small nuclear reactor?

Because we all want one of those on our belt...

On a serious note, nuclear reactors dont produce electricity directly. The heat generated by the reaction is used to boil water. The steam spins a turbine, which generates electricity in conjunction with a magnet. With present technology there's no feasible way of doing that on a man portable scale. Maybe in a few years and with the furthering of nanotechnology it would be possible.

Magister
17-04-2008, 15:05
That stuff's been around for nearly 6 months to a year now...

Burnthem
17-04-2008, 15:08
Yup, the news guys must have been struggling for something to do a story on so dragged this one out, this is old old news, in fact i'm sure there are 3 or 4 threads on here already about this very same thing.

Chaplain of Chaos
17-04-2008, 15:43
A small nuclear reacter would be fine, people don't seem to realize just how safe nuclear power has become.

It would be awsome to get some serious funding into a powered exoskeleton for the military. Think of the lives it would save, how much of a fear factor it would have.

Mabuhay
17-04-2008, 16:36
thats the f*ckin coolest thing ever. i want one.

Emperor's Grace
17-04-2008, 17:14
1) How about a truck/tank mounted generator recharging the suits every couple hours?

The suit alerts the user to a low power level and they go back to the truck.

Battery out, battery in and it's back to the fight.

(I see marines reloading ammo this way actually.)

2) Or beaming power to them by microwaves ala Gamma World robotics? or:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_satellite

"William C. Brown demonstrated in 1964 on CBS news with Walter Cronkite, a microwave-powered model helicopter that received all the power needed for flight from a microwave beam. Between 1969 and 1975 Bill Brown was technical director of a JPL Raytheon program that beamed 30 kW over a distance of 1 mile at 84% efficiency."

3) Heavy assualt shouldn't take more than two hours, really...

On a serious note, nuclear reactors dont produce electricity directly. The heat generated by the reaction is used to boil water. The steam spins a turbine, which generates electricity in conjunction with a magnet. With present technology there's no feasible way of doing that on a man portable scale.

Steam's not the only way to generate electricity from heat/nuclear power. Thermocouples and plate ionization also work. (Maybe the physics folks can help me out here, my schooling in biochem :) )

From : http://www.nuc.umr.edu/nuclear_facts/spacepower/spacepower.html

"radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs), which are nuclear power generators built specifically for space and special terrestrial uses."

"The first RTGs, which produced only a few watts, have evolved into today's generation of RTGs, which produce power in the hundreds of watts."

"An RTG has no moving parts. It produces electric energy through the interaction of its two main components: the radioactive heat source (fuel and containment) and the thermoelectric generator.

Radioactive material can be used for fuel because it is unstable and decays, or spontaneously disintegrates into a different atomic form. As the material naturally decays, it produces heat. The other main component of the RTG, the thermoelectric generator, converts this heat into electricity.

This heat-to-electricity conversion occurs through the thermoelectric principle discovered early in the last century. This principle is a way of producing electric current without using a device that has moving parts. It involves two plates, each made of a different metal that conducts electricity. Joining these two plates to form a closed electrical circuit and keeping the two junctions at different temperatures produces an electric current. These pairs of junctions are called thermocouples. In an RTG, the radioisotopic fuel heats one of these junctions while the other junction remains unheated and is cooled by space.

RTGs are reliable because they produce electricity without moving parts that can fail or wear out. This high degree of reliability is especially important in space applications, where the investment is great, and repair or replacement of equipment is not feasible."

"Because the nuclear fuel in RTGs is radioactive, safety is a critical issue. As it decays, Pu-238 emits radiation mainly in the form of alpha particles, which have a very low penetrating power. Only lightweight shielding is necessary because alpha particles cannot penetrate a sheet of paper. Radioisotopes producing more penetrating radiation, such as beta or gamma particles, would be more difficult to handle safely and would require heavier shielding, a distinct drawback on space missions."

"One option is the dynamic isotope power systems (DIPS), which are much more efficient in converting heat into electricity than the RTGs used on recent missions. The dynamic systems have moving parts that transform heat into mechanical energy, which is used to generate electricity. One such engine, the Stirling engine, contains helium that expands by absorbing heat on the hot side of the engine and rejecting it on the cold side. The rapidly changing pressure cycles cause a piston to move back and forth, driving an alternator and producing electricity.

The range of technologies under investigation is wide. For instance, a process called Alkaline Metal Thermal to Electric Conversion (AMTEC) converts infrared radiation into electricity using liquid metal ions, which are charged atoms. By contrast, the thermo-photovoltaic (TPV) converter changes infrared radiation emitted by a hot surface into electricity. Design goals for AMTEC and TPV technology call for even more efficient conversion of heat into electricity of about 20-30%, or a three-fold increase over RTGs."

As to man portable, the General Purpose Heating Source is shown as roughly 4 feet long and 5 inches in diameter (contains 72 Pu238 cells) with all the shielding. Depending on weight (not so much a problem with PA) you could practically mount this on a backpack as two "half" cells.

I'll concede that there would be an issue on the ground with shedding the excess heat.

BTW - I can't see Youtube from work, Is this a modification of the powerframe that was being shown for nursing applications (lifting patients, etc...) in Japan last year?

Ajamax5
17-04-2008, 18:36
One issue with truck based power or whatever, what if they are separated or the truck gets neutralized? after two hours(or when they last charged) there would be some issues. If you were in a building in enemy territory cleaning house and then you can't move, it'll be hard for people to get to you(use more suits to retrieve him maybe). Unless they had easy exit from the suit and complete survival kit and weapons afterwards. Just my thoughts, could be wrong.

Brother Siccarius
17-04-2008, 18:59
One issue with truck based power or whatever, what if they are separated or the truck gets neutralized? after two hours(or when they last charged) there would be some issues. If you were in a building in enemy territory cleaning house and then you can't move, it'll be hard for people to get to you(use more suits to retrieve him maybe). Unless they had easy exit from the suit and complete survival kit and weapons afterwards. Just my thoughts, could be wrong.

First of all, that's a terrible application for the suit anyways, trying to bring a suit that makes the wearer bulkier in/out of a building is asking for them to get fragged. As nimble as he may be in the suit, it looks like he'd be slower than usual. All in all, it's not exactly the best idea for a combat role, and non-suited soldiers will always be needed for tight, confined areas. The suit may be able to carry a SAW easier than the average marine, but it's a bit of a waste of an expensive piece of wargear. However, if you went the Imperial route for the armor, and used the extra carrying capacity to add slabs of armor, rather than just extra bulky weapons, that a normal man would find difficult to move in, then yes, it would be an interesting sight on the (open) battlefield.

Arcane_Blade
17-04-2008, 19:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maYor7PXYpo&fmt=18

The NEW trailer for Dawn of War II.

Allright so Orks and Space Marines are confirmed. I do hope they include Imperial Guards too as I would want to go rampaging again in my Baneblade and hopefully they would have more variants of Baneblades and Leman Russes in DoW II.

Also, I would like to see Supa-Stompa replace the Squiggoths and they invent something for the Tau to replace the Greater Knarloc. Frankly I felt these two super units are ridiculous. You'd expect them to field something more.....sophisticated not some bloody monster! I can accept the Bloodthirstier or the Avatar but not the Squiggoth and Greater Knarloc.

:confused::confused:

What's the point of posting that in this thread?

Rockerfella
17-04-2008, 19:10
I was thinking the same. If you could create a shelled armour/turtle type system round the robotic limbs, then you have indeed got power armour and a walking tank. Marines would be much less vulnerable to small arms fire, but as you rightly said, may struggle in small confined areas.

Brother Siccarius
17-04-2008, 19:29
My biggest complaint would be, if you're thinly armoring it, like the prototype models seemed to suggest, then you'd be dog food (or "Chunky Salsa" as the term goes) if someone gets you near a grenade or IED.

Burnthem
17-04-2008, 19:44
Exactly, it doesn't matter if you've got the most advanced personal armour ever devised, somebody can still sneak up behind you and hit you over the head with a rock whilst you're changing your batteries ;)

This stuff would have to be incredibly advanced before it became anything useful and not a hindrance to soldiers.

Brother Siccarius
17-04-2008, 19:59
Thing is though, it's still a great advance for non-combat roles, such as loading and unloading payloads from planes, heavy machinery, loading ammunition, ect. It's a great advance, but it's not a giant leap forward in combat.

Emperor's Grace
17-04-2008, 20:43
One issue with truck based power or whatever, what if they are separated or the truck gets neutralized?

Battery backup. The robots used it too in Gamma World.

after two hours(or when they last charged) there would be some issues.

They'd have roughly two hours to get out of the building and find another support vehicle. Or call for extract. Or to exit their armor (self destruct to deny the enemy?) and fight more conventionally.

What happens today when you're 30 miles from the local base and the APC gets taken out?

Support is sent to you and you hole up/hold out as best you can until it gets there.

Again, I wasn't trying to explain how this would function in combat, only trying to provide power options. I'll admit that it's not a combat ready technology at this point. (PS - if you look at what is being developed for soldiers now, this sort of thing is high on the list, but it's more about reducing the soldiers burden/fatigue from ammo, weapons, and gear loads than combat use.)

I can't see this being used for protracted combat. You can just send a robot for that. :D

It'd be more SM than IG. You smash in and let loose walking tanks.

Quick heavy assault (hopefully surprise) operations where you bring more to bear than they think that you can carry in. Regular troops can follow in to secure your holdings.

Mandown
17-04-2008, 21:23
I dont see this being used in a combat role for many, many, many years, where it would be ideal in a support role, the latest idea of bulking up, is almost as much of a hinderance as it is a help.
The current way is to up amour troop, and keep adding more and more kit, I remember struggling aroung the cab of my truck, when wearing all my stuff, and wasnt too fast with it on, speed, and nimbleness are as much an armour as kevlar plates are.

Bretonnian Lord
17-04-2008, 21:35
If this stuff actually becomes viable... and the US military perfects its eventual plans of space-borne deployment of troops... we can have drop podding marines! (Without all the religious zeal programmed in). :evilgrin:

Actually they'd probably be more like the ODSTs from Halo. But still, way cool. :D

downundercadet07
17-04-2008, 21:47
There has been a great deal of design work for an orbital lander that could deliver between a platoon and a company of Marines anywhere in the world in a matter of about an hour and a half. Still there are a lot of problems with the project-- namely the massive expense, the fact that a platoon of current day Marines is insufficient for most tasks worth doing unilaterally, how to secure the bird once the troops had offloaded, how to evacuate the pilots and Marines afterwards and of course, the biggest problem of all the USAF trying to block the program because they think it should be theirs.

Mandown
17-04-2008, 21:55
Also, the US has so many bases around the world, that most 'local' forces could be used

kishvier
17-04-2008, 21:59
Hey I have seen this video put on the fourms a few times I think...anyway, looks real cool hope to see it in action soon.