PDA

View Full Version : 2k High Elves magic-heavy

eleveninches
17-04-2008, 11:32
175: lv2 Mage (ring of fury)
185: lv2 Mage (ring of corin, powerstone, gem of courage)
185: lv2 Mage (silver wand, 2x powerstones)
185: lv2 Mage (seerstaff, powerstone)
140: 10 Archers (standard, warbanner)
110: 10 Archers
140: Lion Chariot
140: Lion Chariot
290: 7 Dragon Princes (standard, musician, banner of sorcery)
150: 10 Swordmasters
100: RBT
-----
-----

TK421
17-04-2008, 18:26
Hmm, definitely something a little different from the norm with no Archmage.

Looks pretty good for what it is trying to do but one thing I'd change would be reduce the size of the Dragon Princes to 6 max (8 is a really bad number for them considering how expensive they are, no rank bonus and they likely won't provide any extra attacks) and try to fit in an Eagle or some Shadow Warriors to march block and give your magic and shooting an extra round or two to do their thing.

Mike KK
17-04-2008, 21:08
get a muscian on them swordmasters i found they rock so much when you kill the front rank giving you 5 kills vs there 3ranks standard outnumber
its a draw if you have a musician too :D

eleveninches
19-04-2008, 11:27
About the princes, they do seem to get shot at a LOT, so taking a big unit is the best way to ensure that the unit is a decent size for when it gets into combat. Also, taking about 8 is the only way to get enough attacks to cancel the enemy static CR and beat them in combat enough to break them on the charge (if the knights dont break the enem on the charge, they are going to die in the next round, and thats 320 points wasted)

WhiteKnight
19-04-2008, 16:44
Well, here's the thing. By giving the Dprinces the banner of elllyrion so if you can move them through terrain, they won't get shot as much if you stay out of line of sight. As for combat, go after the units that are str 4 and lower. Great weapons will kill you a lot. Try casting Shield of Saphery on them when they go into combat. In the 1st round, you will leave his champion and / or characters left. You have 11 attacks that will most likely wound a lot. Remember, ward saves will save them!

Bob the Butcher
19-04-2008, 19:32
I don't know where your mages are going to hide, they wont last long in the archers.

minionboy
19-04-2008, 19:35
magic heavy with no level 4's just seems weird and silly to me.

winkypinky
19-04-2008, 20:50
..... a whooping 11-13 Pd a turn.... That is not magic heavy.

You should aim for at least 17 Pd each turn when going magic heavy. I know that youhave powerstones. But that is only a half spell. If you get an average of 12 Pd and pop 1 stone each turn. Then its only 14 Pd a turn. And you do not have enough stones for that. 4-6 spells a turn is nearly nothing. (without any enemy magic protection, most cases will be at least 1 dispel + 1 scroll a turn, so you will get 2-3 spells thorugh each turnif you are super lucky) compared to how many 5 man units of dragon princes you could get for the points.

- Also there is not a single mage that can cast any really usefull spells in your army. (the seerstaff one can still only cast with 3 power)

- You do also not have a single unit to marchblock with. How an earth are your mages going to do anything important and game deciding in the 1 turn of casting with out combat limitations and such if you are unlucky? (mostly youwill have 2-3 turns to cast in, but that is just not enough.
If you get an eagle it will almost double the time youhave to cast spells in... for 50 points. Quite a good item. (can more or less be read as this: Great eagle, 50 points, gives you 3 extra magic phases and 3 extra shooting phases)

theunwantedbeing
19-04-2008, 21:07
Not so sure the silver wand is entirely nessecary. Same for the powerstones.
Your army has so few troops.....that'll be a problem.

eleveninches
22-04-2008, 14:29
list has been edited a bit

..... a whooping 11-13 Pd a turn.... That is not magic heavy.
10+D3 power dice per turn,
+ ring of fury
+ring of corin
+4 power stones
that is quite magic heavy

Also there is not a single mage that can cast any really usefull spells in your army. I have to disagree there. I can use powerstones to get 5-dice casting on really important spells, and most others can be cast on 3 dice easily

I don't know where your mages are going to hide, they wont last long in the archers.
2 in bolt thrower crew
1 in an archer unit
1 in swordmaster unit or another archer unit (or if she has spells that dont need line of sight, hide her in a wood)