PDA

View Full Version : Are Strategy Ratings Gone?

D6Veteran
17-04-2008, 21:41
For deployment, I cannot find a reference to using the strategy rating in the leaked 5th ed pdf. Am I blind? Is this gone?

I never liked it so I'm happy if it's gone. Curious.

Stingray_tm
17-04-2008, 21:47
I better hope it's gone. It's totally unbalanced, because it gives certain armies (mostly Marines) an advantage, that isn't compensated for other armies (like IG) in any way or kind.

Ozendorph
17-04-2008, 22:10
I better hope it's gone. It's totally unbalanced, because it gives certain armies (mostly Marines) an advantage, that isn't compensated for other armies (like IG) in any way or kind.

It's probably a moot point, but how can you be sure the strategy rating isn't compensated for? Did you run the numbers or something? It seems like you'll find any excuse to take a jab at marines.

Stingray_tm
17-04-2008, 22:26
Oh, come on. Do you really think GW came up with a formula, that calculates point costs in relation to their strategy rating? Rubbish. Strategy ratings were an addon in the rulebook after all other rules were made. It's fine from a fluff point of view, but it's an advantage on metagame. Other armys should have a different but similiar advantage to compensate that.

Azzy
18-04-2008, 04:56
I've got to agree with Stingray on this one.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-04-2008, 05:03
Have anyone actually used Strategy Rating for anything since 2nd? I know it's been in the book, but I don't believe we have used it locally since 2nd.

cailus
18-04-2008, 06:18
Have anyone actually used Strategy Rating for anything since 2nd? I know it's been in the book, but I don't believe we have used it locally since 2nd.

We haven't used it since 2nd edition. Usually it's just a D6 for deployment zones and a D6 for who goes first unless specifically stated in the scenario.

newbis
18-04-2008, 06:41
I played in a tournament last year that used it. I wasn't pleased and I hope it's gone.

Adiem
18-04-2008, 08:50
I don't think I've used it since I started - the guys I play with (and who taught me) just ignore it, generally, and I can't see any real point in it...

Bloodknight
18-04-2008, 12:19
Strategy rating was something else in 2nd edition where the pointscost reflected how often the army would have to deploy first and go last. (ie Tyranids almost always deployed first and went last, SM the other way round, but were more expensive - power armoured marines even overpriced in my eye).

cochise
18-04-2008, 12:33
Am I missing something? Strategy ratings (in 4th ed) are used only in "strategy rolls", and the only strategy roll stated as such is the roll to determine a mission. And thats only if you first rolled a 6 in the mission table. So it doesnīt influence at all which side deploys first or which side starts the game...

SeriousLee
18-04-2008, 13:49
Strategy rating also is used to see what side you get. Win strategy rating and choose side. If this is gone then my poor eldar autarch has a useless ability =(.

Dweomer
18-04-2008, 16:51
Given that the Eldar Codex was written with 5th edition in mind and that it has a specific mention of Strategy Rating... I doubt that SR is gone from the rules.

I don't think it is such a big deal though. Despite claims of increased metagame effectiveness, it is rare that it actually changes anything in tournament play. Missions are always pre-selected and terrain is often already laid out... Okay, so there's some times where you might get to place the first piece of terrain rather than the second. Whoopty. Then there were some OLD missions where it might effect the first-turn roll, but those were relatively few. Current RTT missions do not use SR. Also, we're talking 5th edition here. The first turn roll isn't going to mean as much in 5th ed. (See my thread on it if you want a full debate on that...)

So it really looks like the only place the SR might have any metagame influence is on friendly play... I'll point out the keyword there: friendly.

I don't think the inclusion nor exclusion of the rule is anything to get your panties in a bunch about.

cochise
18-04-2008, 20:42
Strategy rating also is used to see what side you get. Win strategy rating and choose side.

Funny enough this isnīt stated in the spanish version of the BRB, so it never had a big impact in the game!!!!
In the BRB only states that "both players roll a die.."
I can say that, at least in Spain, the disappearance of the rule wont be such a change because of this.