PDA

View Full Version : cannon sniping unit champions?

kiron
17-04-2008, 23:49
is this possible?
would it work the same as characters getting a look out sir rule and such?

theunwantedbeing
17-04-2008, 23:51
Perfectly possible, so long as the guy fails his "look out, sir!" roll.
Much easier to pick off unit champions with hochland long rilfes though.

Look at page 81 of the rulebook.

Thorgrim Brokenfoot
18-04-2008, 06:32
Okay, i was wondering that too :D
So you can realy use a canon to snipe a unit champion, but can you also use it to snipe a character hiding in a regiment?

TheSanityAssassin
18-04-2008, 06:45
Yes, so long as they fail their "look out sir" roll as detailed under the character section of the rule book.

Thorgrim Brokenfoot
18-04-2008, 18:30
Okay! Thanks a lot. I am going to use that with my canons with dwarfs :evilgrin:

Lord Raneus
18-04-2008, 18:56
Remember, it's only a 1 in 6 chance, and you have to hit the guy first. Not exactly a reliable tactic, but it is fun when it works. :D

kiron
18-04-2008, 21:51
sorry with the new tzeench daemons coming out, seeing a level 3 mage champion is just scary for every 30 horrors is just scary esp. with the bolt of change spell, 7-8 str 7-8 hits, yikes!

Thorgrim Brokenfoot
19-04-2008, 06:24
Remember, it's only a 1 in 6 chance, and you have to hit the guy first. Not exactly a reliable tactic, but it is fun when it works. :D

Hehe, 1 in 6 chanse goes good if you have 3 canons :D
Thats 2 - 3 characters per game (if you can hit them, that is).

With dwarfs, you just hammer on a rune that gives the canon "reroll missfire". Then, the chanse to kill is better.

My last fight (a wierd one) High Elves & Orks & Goblins (3000 pts together) vs Empire & Dwarfes (2000 pts + castle). The fight was unbalanced, but thats not what i was about to say :)

The HE player sendt his mage against my canon, and i blew his head of with it. That, was fun :D

Fanfan
19-04-2008, 11:26
There is one thing I don't get: why do cannons are able to snipe and not bolt throwers? They are both sending a projectile in a straight line and all... (mind you this is not whining, it's curiosity. I play the Empire.)

Caboose123
19-04-2008, 11:32
Maybe the cannons come with an increased velocity to the bolt throwers, and hence are harder to dodge...?
(This sounds highly suspect as the Bolt would probably be faster...)

blueon462
19-04-2008, 17:09
Maybe the cannons come with an increased velocity to the bolt throwers, and hence are harder to dodge...?
(This sounds highly suspect as the Bolt would probably be faster...)

Actually...the increased range of the cannon (since they both appear to use similar trajectories) means the cannonball would be traveling faster.

blueon462
19-04-2008, 17:14
There is one thing I don't get: why do cannons are able to snipe and not bolt throwers? They are both sending a projectile in a straight line and all... (mind you this is not whining, it's curiosity. I play the Empire.)

I am with you on this one. As far as comparing the weapons, assuming they are both within range, the boltthrower/ballista would be much more accurate than a cannon. So, one can only assume the rules are made this way due to balancing issues and not any type of physics or common sense.

Rioghan Murchadha
19-04-2008, 19:36
I am with you on this one. As far as comparing the weapons, assuming they are both within range, the boltthrower/ballista would be much more accurate than a cannon. So, one can only assume the rules are made this way due to balancing issues and not any type of physics or common sense.

because cannon are less reliable. Guess range, roll for extra distance, roll for bounce, potential to misfire etc. Bolt throwers roll off of BS, which would make them much much nastier. Elf RBTs would be hitting on 4s at long range against chars.. since they wouldn't get the 'single man sized model on foot' penalty if the guy was in a unit.

blueon462
19-04-2008, 21:13
because cannon are less reliable. Guess range, roll for extra distance, roll for bounce, potential to misfire etc. Bolt throwers roll off of BS, which would make them much much nastier. Elf RBTs would be hitting on 4s at long range against chars.. since they wouldn't get the 'single man sized model on foot' penalty if the guy was in a unit.

thats sort of what i insinuated...

Thorgrim Brokenfoot
22-04-2008, 09:44
I was also wondering, it is ONLY canons that can?
Feks, a grudge thrower. If the small template his over the character, can you kill the character instantly? does he get the "look out sir" rule?

Thanks for answers

Lordmonkey
22-04-2008, 10:22

It's one of the best ways to deal with multi character block regiments. If you miss the character, you've still took down 3 - 5 infantrymen instead :)

Rioghan Murchadha
23-04-2008, 03:56
thats sort of what i insinuated...
Yeah, but I sort of glossed over your response ;)

I was also wondering, it is ONLY canons that can?
Feks, a grudge thrower. If the small template his over the character, can you kill the character instantly? does he get the "look out sir" rule?

Thanks for answers

Anything using a template can hit a character. However, at the same time, any attack using a template pretty much allows a 'look out sir!' roll.