PDA

View Full Version : 250 Point Easterling army

Guard Of The Citadel
18-04-2008, 08:29
I have decided to go back to Easterlings, but unfortunatley I no longer have any of my Easterling models, so I will have to by them again :( I have come up with a simple 250 point army for the moment, here it is:

8 Easterlings with bows - 64
8 Easterlings with Shields - 64
4 Easterlings with spears and shields - 40
Easterling Captain - 50
Easterling with Banner - 32

Total - 250 Points

Leviro
18-04-2008, 13:28
well, there isnt much you can say about it really, its simple and hard to remove plus its cheap

Guard Of The Citadel
18-04-2008, 14:13
Yes it would only cost me 22 to buy. Does anyone know of any Easterling painting guides? Its been a long time since I have painted any Easterlings.

Joewrightgm
18-04-2008, 14:34
There is a really good one in "Shadow in the East", covering how to do the gold, bindings, leather etc.

battle captain corpus
18-04-2008, 14:36
There was one in White Dwarf when the source book came out, that and try the GW website.
Good alternative to Gondor though, especially if you are used to shield wall tactics etc. Post some pics of them when your done! :)

Guard Of The Citadel
18-04-2008, 15:02
That is why I like both Gondor and Easterlings, they have the same profiles, except Gondor get spears and Easterlings get Pikes :D

Leviro
19-04-2008, 09:04
I find it easier to pait easterlings blue white and silver, if anyones interested ill go into more detail

Guard Of The Citadel
19-04-2008, 15:11
Yeah i'm interested, please can you go into more detail :)

Pitalla Crimson
19-04-2008, 15:50
Well lucky for you I have a basic starter armie that is good and fun to collect:

Khamul On Horse and foot.
Easterling Captain
Easterling Banner
8 easterlings with shields n swords
8 easterlings with shields and spears
8 easterlingsa with bows
5 kataphracts

After this you could expand yourself with some allies cause the easterlings are not a stand alone armie.
you could go with mass khand mercenaries or you could add haradrim wich would be:
Hashari
8 Haradrim Spearmen
5 serpent riders

hope this helps, and chek out my army blog for some inspiration;)
Blue or purple and silver seems like a nice variant.

Leviro
20-04-2008, 12:32
Ok, first you paint the easterling chaos black, and wait for it to dry...;)
First phase: THE BASECOAT
You get out chainmail and paint the helmet, the centre of the shield, the sword and all the armour, dont bother with neatness, if you make a mistake you can go over it later
Next comes the regal blue, paint all the cloth apart from straps and the loincloth, also pain the back of the shield and the edge of the front
Get some fortress grey and paint the straps, the loincloth and middle of the shield
Second phase: THE SHADE
Ok, paint either the chainmail with black ink, or, if your looking for the all out model, paint all the model
Third phase: THE FINNISH
Drybrush (more or less) the chainmail areas with more chainmail.Then Hilight the regal blue and fortress grey areas with mordian blue and skull white respectively.
Well there you have it, how to pain easterling, my way
Ill try to get my camera working, and then ill start a new thread with photos.
Hope it helps you paint!

Guard Of The Citadel
20-04-2008, 15:53
Alright thanks for that guide. When do you think you can get the pictures up?

Pitalla Crimson
20-04-2008, 17:45
I definitely think that pruple would work alot better than blue.

Like, first paint the cloth liche purple, then when its dry, apply some black ink, then when its dry (again) paint the higlights with liche purple, then add a very little skull white to make the lights.

If you decide to go with blue then make the belt colours that usually go black into yellowish ones in order to make it contrast.

Guard Of The Citadel
20-04-2008, 18:41
If I was to paint their armour gold what would be my best sollution? I like drybrushing, I use it whenever possible so what i'm thinking is maybe a drybrush of Shining Gold, but i'm not sure what colour to do after that, maybe a ink wash or something then followed by another drybrush of Shining Gold

Leviro
20-04-2008, 18:53
Well ill get my friend to paint some of his easterlings black, ill have the post within a week (I hope!!):D
Oh and BTW I tried it with purple and a few other colors (green, purple and brown(?)) and they didnt turn out that well...

Leviro
20-04-2008, 18:55
never tried doin armour gold, apart from painting my first ever troops in gold armour, the turned out ..well kinda bad, so if anyone has any ideas on painting decent gold, id like to here them to

Guard Of The Citadel
20-04-2008, 18:58
Well ill get my friend to paint some of his easterlings black, ill have the post within a week (I hope!!):D
Oh and BTW I tried it with purple and a few other colors (green, purple and brown(?)) and they didnt turn out that well...

Ok thankyou for that, much appreciated :)

I have just found a painting guide for Easterlings with gold armour, it looks pretty good, here is the link:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=341

Leviro
20-04-2008, 19:13
the gold looks good maybe ill try it with some elves, but im not shure about the rest, i dont like using lots of paints... oh, and my friend pays me to paint his miniatures so i got no problem painting them

Guard Of The Citadel
20-04-2008, 19:17
Yeah thats the same with me, i'm a very basic painter, I only like using a few paints. The thing is could I be bothered to do that to all 20 models in the boxed set?

Leviro
21-04-2008, 13:10
i prefer to invent a color skeme then pick an army, that way i can keep the paints to my collection and know how to paint them

battle captain corpus
21-04-2008, 13:48
Shining gold, brown ink wash...bosh job done! ;)

Guard Of The Citadel
21-04-2008, 14:24
Shining gold, brown ink wash...bosh job done! ;)

Do you have any pictures of what they look like when they have been painted like this?

Pitalla Crimson
21-04-2008, 15:44

Try silver armour with purple cloth, they aiwll acquire a similar colour to that of the dark elves.
By the way dont double post.

Corpus way seems the most apropiate tought.

battle captain corpus
21-04-2008, 16:03
Do you have any pictures of what they look like when they have been painted like this?

Ummm...no. Sorry! D'oh!
My DIY Chapter have this colour all over and its very quick to do and looks perfectly good for table top. Basically just:
~Watered down shining gold, 2 layers if needs be,
~Brown ink wash all over, think muddy water not thick and out of the jar!
~Another ink wash just in the recesses to add depth.
~If you want to go all out ;) Try an extreme highlight of shining gold again.

Its quick, painless and you can knock them out by the dozen! Plus gold works with most other colours for the robes etc.

Guard Of The Citadel
21-04-2008, 19:35
And where might your DIY chapter be?

battle captain corpus
21-04-2008, 21:57
And where might your DIY chapter be?

My SM chapter are the Ath-Enayos Chapter. Based on the Athenians of ancient Greece. Hence the gold. ;)
Anywho, give it a whirl, might look good! :)

Guard Of The Citadel
22-04-2008, 16:22
What do you think of the armour on this Easterling? I think it looks quite good and it is very simple to paint

battle captain corpus
23-04-2008, 08:02
Its good, how was it done? Did you try the gold then ink or...?

Guard Of The Citadel
23-04-2008, 15:08
Thta one is just simply a dry brush of Shining Gold, nothing else

Leviro
26-04-2008, 18:59
Well ill get my friend to paint some of his easterlings black, ill have the post within a week
sorry everyone, ive had a buisy week and havent had time to paint much, maybe ill get id done tomorrow, but next week ive got losts of free time
oh and i like the simple gold used on the easterling

Guard Of The Citadel
26-04-2008, 19:42
Ok thankyou, i'm looking foorward to seeing the models :)

dvdhwk
26-04-2008, 23:27
Here's a guide from my blog, on how I do my easterlings:
http://runningfromthelaw-dvdhwk.blogspot.com/2008/04/new-project-lord-of-rings-easterlings.html

lorelorn
26-04-2008, 23:33
Here's a pic of how I did my easterlings, there's more in my project log. I like your gold effect, it looks fine.

Easterling Archers (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/lorelorn/easterlingarchers.jpg)

Leviro
01-05-2008, 15:16
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2572764#post2572764
this is the link to my easterling painting guide

Guard Of The Citadel
01-05-2008, 16:19
Ok thanks for all your help everyone, very good guide leviro

stonehorse
10-05-2008, 15:38
I've found a very easy way to pump out my Easterlings.

Undercoat Chaos Black. Paint armour and shield in Shinning Gold, then paint the clothes Mechrite Red. I leave the boots Black, to help break down the red and gold. Once these 2 are dry I give a watered down Chestnut Ink wash. I paint any weapon blades in Chainmail. That is it very easy and it does look good. If you want you can always go back and highlight the red and gold at a later date.

As for the list, I think you are over your bow limit. I would try drop some of the Bow armed warriors and give the Captain a shield.

Simon Sez
11-05-2008, 08:06
I'm an admittedly poor painter, but Did you think of using a brown basecoat instead of black? I did with Bestial Brown and it looked fine with Shining Gold armour and Liche Purple cloth.

Aren't the Easterlings odd? One of the easiest army lists to construct but not the easiest to win with, even with Khamul.