PDA

View Full Version : Template half off the table

londo
19-04-2008, 00:28
Hi,
I have problem with the template.
Here it is: there was an eagle on the edge of the table, my helstorm fire on the eagle and hit, then another roll move the template half off the table, the other half still covered the eagle. What would we do now? My friend argued that everything that is cross the edge is lost - i disagree.
What would you do?
Thank you

redrum
19-04-2008, 00:32
Hmm, that's sort of a tough one actually. If the shot actually landed off the table I think your friend is right. If you hit the edge and half of the template is off the table the other half should still count. That's how I see it at least.

theunwantedbeing
19-04-2008, 00:33
The template is over a model, that model is hit.

][nquist0r
19-04-2008, 00:36
Nah, the eagle was hit. A template is not a unit that would be removed if it was partly off the table. Remember that existance doesnt end off the table, units can even *gasp* come back from no mans land if they chase another unit off the table. According to your friends logic cannonballs that bounce off the table would also fail to hit things they crossed prior to leaving the board. He is beat on this one, tell him to suck it up.

londo
19-04-2008, 00:54
Hi,
To be precise, he actually said that if the "centre of the template" is off the table, the shot is lost. Sorry.
Thank you

Greyfire
19-04-2008, 02:47
I'm gonna side with theunwantedbeing and ][nquist0r. There's no rule that says that if the center (or any part) of a template is off the table then the shot is discounted. But the rules do say we have to use our judgement and commonsense to determine what is hit. You might just have to roll off for it depending upon your opponent.

Personally, I'd say you hit and wouldn't begrudge you the shot.

Grimgormx
19-04-2008, 03:58
unless your table is surrounded by chaos portals, then the eagle is hit....

;)

Gabacho Mk.II
19-04-2008, 05:59
Hi,
To be precise, he actually said that if the "centre of the template" is off the table, the shot is lost. Sorry.
Thank you

I have to agree with your opponent: Shot lands off the table, then it is a lost splash.

While you can most easily argue this either way (look at above posts), to be an objective referee on the topic (the center of a template landing OUTSIDE of the tabletop) will most certainly be a lost shot. Sorry, but that is how I see it.

If the middle of the template (the round hole) was on the table, then I would argue that the shot was good. However, that is not the case here.

[I can also easily argue that at exact point of where the mortar round landed there might have been an area of very difficult ground, which could have absorbed enough of the explosion as to render the shot incapable of causing any damage to a model on the tabletop.]

Caboose123
19-04-2008, 11:38
[nquist0r;2536693'] According to your friends logic cannonballs that bounce off the table would also fail to hit things they crossed prior to leaving the board. He is beat on this one, tell him to suck it up.

This confused me, are you saying that a cannonball can hit a unit that overan off the board?

londo
19-04-2008, 17:39
While you can most easily argue this either way (look at above posts), to be an objective referee on the topic (the center of a template landing OUTSIDE of the tabletop) will most certainly be a lost shot. Sorry, but that is how I see it.
Well, the point is that Mortar have a centre of explosion, Helstorm Rockets Battery does not - after a shot there is many rockests explode in target area - 5" template. That why you do not have to even roll on the models that are covered only partially - they are hit automaticly.
Thank you.