PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Dreamt-up Chapter, but hear me out.

Geddonight
19-04-2008, 20:07
Howdy,

My gaming buddies and I were talking about various things, from Dark Heresy to the upcoming 4th Ed D&D to our own homebrew version of a 40k RPG, then got to discussing space marines. One of my friends swears he heard of / read about a chapter of marines that instead of keeping their terminators in squads, would dole out the armor to veteran sergeants in charge of squads. I'm mildly familiar with 2nd ed, and much more familiar with 3rd & 4th, but I can't for the life of me even recall a chapter that does that.

Anyone wanna help us out, or was this just an early morning pipe dream?

Lothlanathorian
19-04-2008, 20:10
I do believe it [is/was] possible for Space Wolves to have terminators leading squads, but they weren't 'veteran sergeants', they were Wolf Guard or some such.

Pilgrim
19-04-2008, 20:30
Howdy,

My gaming buddies and I were talking about various things, from Dark Heresy to the upcoming 4th Ed D&D to our own homebrew version of a 40k RPG, then got to discussing space marines. One of my friends swears he heard of / read about a chapter of marines that instead of keeping their terminators in squads, would dole out the armor to veteran sergeants in charge of squads. I'm mildly familiar with 2nd ed, and much more familiar with 3rd & 4th, but I can't for the life of me even recall a chapter that does that.

Anyone wanna help us out, or was this just an early morning pipe dream?

Your friend is thinking of the Iron Hands, who got described this way in their Index Astartes article. The rationale given was that, because they venerate technology and machines, they dispersed their terminator armour throughout the companies, so that they would inspire the rank and file.

In terms of rules, they lost the ability to field terminator squads, but gained the ability to outfit veteran sergeants with terminator armour (along with, if I remember correctly, some other minor rules changes).

All the other chapters who got Index Astartes articles got their own changes too.

Basically a set of rules changes to make each chapter unique, as part of Games Workshop's mania for giving anything and everything its own set of rules in the belief it's the only way to create variety.

Adrian

The Guy
19-04-2008, 23:46
Basically a set of rules changes to make each chapter unique, as part of Games Workshop's mania for giving anything and everything its own set of rules in the belief it's the only way to create variety.

Only if it's space marines ;)

You can still have termies leading your squads. There's a trait for it in the codex. Scions of mars IIRC.

dr.oetk3r
20-04-2008, 02:05
Ahh, the awesome Terminator with sniper rifle combo :)