PDA

View Full Version : 2x 2250 High Elves (New player planning ahead)

GMMStudios
20-04-2008, 00:57
Hey all

Decided to start up High Elves. I wrote up two lists today and Id like to get some feedback from the vets around here. Here are the two lists:

List 1:

Prince on Star Dragon
ToLoec, Armor of Caledor, Vambraces, Lance

Mage Lvl 2
Dispel Scroll x2

Mage Lvl 2
Jewel of Dusk

10 Archers

24 Spearmen including command

14 Swordmasters bare

20 Pheonix Guard including command, war banner

20 Pheonix Guard including command

repeater

Repeater

Total: 2242

List two:

Prince on Star Dragon
ToLoec, Armor of Caledor, Vambraces, Lance

Mage Lvl 2
Dispel Scroll x2

Mage Lvl 2
Jewel of Dusk

11 Archers

24 Spearmen including command

14 Swordmasters bare

14 Swordmasters bare

21 Pheonix Guard including command, war banner

Repeater

Repeater

Repeater

Total: 2248

For both Lists, the main idea is that the spears and the PG sit in the center and provide a solid core to the army. From what I have read online PG are hard as nails when ranked up, and I absolutely love the models. I have to have at least one unit.

Comparing the two armies, I think that list one will be harder to crack, but list two is much more threatening. I like that in list two I would have two solid units flanked by two 7x2 units of SM. Also the extra repeater means more reason for them to close with me.

Some other things I am thinking:

1. Make room for another mage. This would severely limit the number of warm bodies on the table, but I could definitely dominate the magic phase where I play. I could also make the prince a dragon mage and take a noble on foot.

2. Dropping the war banner and taking a BSB with the +D6 combat res in the PG unit would just be over the top, but I think really good. So many points though, more than the dragon!

3. Dropping the spears for more points is a possiblity too, but I like the solidity of them in 6x4 (well, I havent played but that is the feeling I get) If it is worth it to get a great eagle I can do that.

4. I have the minis to take two units of archers, but every list I have seen that does this feels so light. I just cant justify taking two units that wont have much impact. One at 110 is a nice compromise of filling out core for a cheap price, much better in my opinion than taking another block of spears.

Please let me know what you think, rip them apart and give me any advice you can, Im gonna need it! :D

Thank you!

Brandon

EDIT: I forgot, this is for casual play and tourney play, which around here really is about the same thing. Casual play is to tweak your list.

Be Afraid
20-04-2008, 08:50
i wold probally take list 1, and drop the sword masters for 2 more bolt throwers, and the extra spell magic itm on the scroll mage.

If not, just take list 1, but dropping the 11th archer for either extra spell on mage, or a musition in the masters.

isidril93
20-04-2008, 09:00
doesnt the prince on star dragon cost 600 point plus

SilentStalker
20-04-2008, 22:55
yeah prince on star dragon with ToLoes, A of Caledor, vambraces and lance should be around 630. Think you used the points value of a sun dragon there

WhiteKnight
21-04-2008, 03:29
Both lists shouldn't have a dragon. Here's the thing. Even with the awesome power of a dragon, it just takes up too many of your points. You can have tyrion who is twice as good as a prince on a dragon and is about 230 points less. Thats another unit of swordmasters or spearmen.

GMMStudios
21-04-2008, 04:51
Aww crap you guys are right. I must have hit something wrong on the calculator...

Well, I think Im going to scratch this army and build it around the dragon rather than taking a bunch of models I love. That just doesnt work with HE...

TheSanityAssassin
21-04-2008, 07:04
Well, I think Im going to scratch this army and build it around the dragon rather than taking a bunch of models I love. That just doesnt work with HE...

That seems the wrong way to go about it in my opinion. An army based around models you love will serve you best in the end. If you enjoy putting it on the table, you'll inevitably learn to play it well.

Destroyer of Eternities
21-04-2008, 20:38
I echo the last post plus building the army around the dragon can be very limiting

GMMStudios
22-04-2008, 05:22
Hmm good points, and thank you for the advice. I will be posting a new list in a minute, so please if you have a moment comment.