PDA

View Full Version : Whos the daddy ?

Scion
20-04-2008, 00:46
well after some help from some of you I've decided not to include a malanathrope as a centrepiece for what should be my first 40k army, so the slot is still open.

however I have been wondering what you all consider to be a centrepiece model, more specifically what is your centrepiece model and why you chose it ?

Lord Malorne
20-04-2008, 00:50
Very odd title....:D. My dreadnoughts as i took alot of time converting them and love the end result.

Besides a Bio-titan is what you need ;).

Caboose123
20-04-2008, 00:52
A malanthrope isnt necessarily a bad idea, just if your starting you shouldnt consider it (yet).

Its made for bigger games, and is not allowed in tournaments AFAIK. I would convert one or all of your Monstrous Creatures to be gribbly, without much work needed really. The Nid models are fantastic and will naturally be centrepiece models

Scion
20-04-2008, 00:58
I understand Caboose123, besides after some thought those FW Tyrant's would make an ideal centrepiece instead. However Biotitan is also temtping, perhaps once i expand the army though.

Draconian77
20-04-2008, 00:58
A converted Carnifex is my centrepiece followed closely by my Flying Hive Tyrant.

A Flying Hive Tyrant is a centre piece model, equivalent to a Dragon in fantasy. Apart from if you give it guns it really hurts things it shoots at whereas Dragon fire is about as dangerous as candle wax. (Note that I did not say heated candle wax...)

"I understand Caboose123, besides after some thought those FW Tyrant's would make an ideal centrepiece instead. However Biotitan is also temtping, perhaps once i expand the army though."

Out of all the FW stuff the Malanthrope is the least likely to "break" a 1500pt game. Its rules and pts cost are very well thought out.

The FW Hive Tyrant is a bad idea, IIRC it is the old style Hive Tyrant. Whilst this is not really a bad thing(Certainly makes it more unique) it will stand out if you add a few more standard Tyrants to your army. My tip is to buy a regualer Tyrant and add plastic Balrog Wings.

Lord Cook
20-04-2008, 01:05
In my current 1,500 point army, my Manticore (http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/LordCook9/P4030007.jpg) is my centerpiece model. It's an artillery tank that fires huge missiles that are basically lascannons with a 7" pie plate. It's big, scary and has a range of 24 feet. I like it because it looks cool and because I've never seen anyone else use one, so it feels unique. It is, in my humble opinion, the King of artillery.

As for your current dilemma Scion, if you're just getting into the hobby I wouldn't recommend anything that requires extensive conversion work, like building your own winged hive tyrant. But Draconian77 is correct in that the winged tyrant from FW is in the old style. Personally I don't see what's wrong with a malanthrope. It's powerful, without being overpowered or broken. It's fun and characterful. It looks great. And it comes in very few pieces, so it won't require much assembly. That said, it might be problematic in that it needs a stand to hold it up straight, and I'm not sure if FW include that. The pole from a flying stand should do fine.

Edit: Woo! 3,000th post!

Lord Malorne
20-04-2008, 01:08
A friend of mine has a bio-titan and let me say the pics of it on forgeworld are CRAP and do the model no justice at all....it is fantastic.

Didn't stop my masters of the chapter power fisting it though ;)

Caboose123
20-04-2008, 01:13
Cook that tank looks awesome, gratz on the post count btw!

You take FW in 1500 points?

And that title belongs only to the humble whirlwind my dear friend

MrGiggles
20-04-2008, 01:16
I thought it would have been my Big Mek with the Shokk Attack Gun, but so far, it's turning out to be my Killa-Kans. Who would have thought that building them from guns, dread bits and Star Wars bobble heads would be such a big deal with the geek crowd?

Still, it remains to be seen. Once the Hammerhead main guns get here, I can start building the Deffguns for my Lootas!

Draconian77
20-04-2008, 01:19
Your whirlwind? Ill admit its a nice model Caboose but frankly your Librian is more stunning. If you didn't hide him in a Rhino all the time we could actually look at him...

Scion
20-04-2008, 01:20
As for your current dilemma Scion, if you're just getting into the hobby I wouldn't recommend anything that requires extensive conversion work, like building your own winged hive tyrant. But Draconian77 is correct in that the winged tyrant from FW is in the old style. Personally I don't see what's wrong with a malanthrope. It's powerful, without being overpowered or broken. It's fun and characterful. It looks great. And it comes in very few pieces, so it won't require much assembly. That said, it might be problematic in that it needs a stand to hold it up straight, and I'm not sure if FW include that. The pole from a flying stand should do fine.

Edit: Woo! 3,000th post!

Congrats on the post count :)

however im not new to the hobby to say, just new to 40k, i don't mind adding wings on a tyrant, it's just that im not fond on the new look gw gave the tyrant, i prefered the old one, and still do (buts that just my opinion). exactly what does a Malanathrope do besides provide Synapse, just a brief on its abilities not the whole rules, we don't want the "Inquisition" closing the thread down do we.

btw the Manticore sounds awesome, i like tanks with immense firepower :)

Lord Cook
20-04-2008, 01:33
Many thanks to Templar Ben, Draconian77, Scion, and Caboose123 for their kind words.

Im just annoyed that my post count doesn't actually increase no matter how much I post...

Any posts in "Groups and Factions" don't contribute towards your total iirc.

You take FW in 1500 points?

Why not? Books like IA:5 and IA:A all tell you which FOC slot units occupy in normal Imperial Guard armies. Not only is it perfectly legal (except in certain tournaments), but it's fun to be different. People are often glad not to be fighting an army with T4 and a 3+ save, and anything you can do to inject a bit more variety on top of that is usually welcomed.

And that title belongs only to the humble whirlwind my dear friend

S5 Ap4 5" blast < S9 Ap2 7" ordnance blast ;)

How much is a whirlwind these days? 70 points? So that's 2 whirlwinds for every 1 manticore. Yours may be better against hordes, but I enjoy being able to crack open terminator armour and monoliths. Not to mention I've still got 2 HS slots left open. Of course if you want to compare infantry I'll hand you that trophy without a fight :).

Draconian77
20-04-2008, 01:39
Any posts in "Groups and Factions" don't contribute towards your total iirc.

Posts in Groups and Factions = 0
Thanks for the heads up though.

I meant that no matter how much I post every other member seems to be hundreds ahead of me. :cries: Its not like Im a stranger!

"Of course if you want to compare infantry I'll hand you that trophy without a fight ."

Yeah but ill just take it away from him again. Termagaunts FTW!

Oh, I will send you a PM with a link to the Malanthropes rules tomorow. I copied them onto my comp when they first appeared on FW.com, I advise everyone else do the same.

Lord Malorne
20-04-2008, 01:43
What does it matter if you have a few hundred posts or a few thousand? ( i want a thousand :cries:)

HA! crusader squads can and have killed anything and EVERYTHING!

Kulgur
20-04-2008, 01:45
For my WitchHunters, it will be my Exorcist as soon as I actually get the thing to stay together

HsojVvad
20-04-2008, 01:46
How about the Fly Rant or Tyrant with wings from Forge World. I have to get me one of those.

Lord Cook
20-04-2008, 01:49
what does a Malanathrope do besides provide Synapse, just a brief on its abilities not the whole rules, we don't want the "Inquisition" closing the thread down do we.

Not sure what the old rules were like, but the malanthrope received an update in Imperial Armour: Apocalypse. Its stat line is a lot like that of a hive tyrant, assuming you gave that tyrant most of the upgrades. Very poor Ws, so pretty much everyone is hitting you on a 3, but with feeder tendrils you hit everything on 3s as well. Its 2 strong points are that it's faster than your average monstrous creature, and it has Anaphylactic Shock, which causes instant death on pretty much everything that isn't daemonic. In general, the malanthrope is summed up by the phrase "BWWAHAHAHAHA!!!!".

I copied them onto my comp when they first appeared on FW.com, I advise everyone else do the same.

All rules available for free on FW are purely experimental and in no way permanent. They are entirely superceded by the next publication to contain the final printed copy, in this case IA:A. Just for reference, the rules can often change quite considerably between the experimental stage and the final copy. For example, the gorgon is totally different.

Draconian77
20-04-2008, 01:54
It is not however a MC IIRC(I am not opening the file tonight...) So it is best used against high T/low save unit. Not many of these exist in 40k. However it is good for reaching Hth and locking squads up. I mean its a T6 2+ model that fleets, its pretty hard to stop it hitting your lines. A flying Hive Tyrant is better IMO but you can take both so why not?

Joewrightgm
20-04-2008, 02:01
Well, I'm working on a repaint of my center piece of my new Chaos Demons army: A Bloodthirster of Khorne. I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to include him in my normal fun list, or do a bunch of Heralds.

Also, if you have a unit of large detailed models, like Tyranid Warriors or Terminators, its worth it to have them as a 'center piece unit', painted to above table top standard.

Mine's going to be Blood Crushers.

"Kill! Kill! Kill!
Never stop! Never tire!
Keep doing the Lord's Work!"
-Bloodthirster of Khorne.

Lord Cook
20-04-2008, 02:06
It is not however a MC IIRC

Regardless of what your file says, I would strongly recommend buying Imperial Armour: Apocalypse. You may be pleasantly surprised as to the MC status of the malanthrope ;).

Draconian77
20-04-2008, 02:13
Or I could open the file! :D

But now I feel dirty inside...

Essentially the Malanthrope is to me what the elite choice Carnifex always should have been, a CC MC with Fleet. As it is the only effective MC builds are ones with guns.

Hicks
20-04-2008, 06:35
For my nids it's definitly the flyrant, you can see him in my blog if you click my sig.

Caboose123
20-04-2008, 13:27
Well, simply, yes.

The whirlwind is better than a Mantiore IMHO. It always gets its points back, one of the few things in my army that consistently performs. If you have an ordnance blast you will usually be firing at large unarmoured squads with little to no save, but thats just my opinion.

Im sure most tournaments dont allow FW models, but they do add variety and can be great, such as the humble tarantula

Draconian77
20-04-2008, 14:40
I would be a bit cautious of Tyranid Brood nests, they are very powerful.

BrianC
20-04-2008, 15:18
For my son's chaos army its An'ggrath the Unbound. For my Ultras its a pimped out Prometheus that normally contains Calgar, the Masters of the Chapter and an extended honor guard. Eldar its an Avatar, but like the characters for my Ultras I could do with rebasing them with something special.

I'm just wondering what to do for my 'nids, I don't yet have a Hive Tryant so I guess it would be logical to do something good with one of those, so I'm watching this thread with interest.

Bunnahabhain
20-04-2008, 15:41
The radio control Macharius. That's proper super-heavy tank shock.

Lord Cook
20-04-2008, 17:07
The radio control Macharius. That's proper super-heavy tank shock.

Incredibly cool, but virtually impossible to build. Unlike the baneblade, the macharius hull is solid, rather than hollow. That's why it's so heavy.

HsojVvad
20-04-2008, 17:37
Right now, my center piece is The Inquistor Lorr. Only finished model I have, that is complete and I am proud of. He is standing beside my LotR Cave Troll lol.

Bunnahabhain
20-04-2008, 17:40
Incredibly cool, but virtually impossible to build. Unlike the baneblade, the macharius hull is solid, rather than hollow. That's why it's so heavy.

That's why mine started from a 1:35 Tamiya Tiger 1 kit, with a whole load of Land raider bits, a strange bits box, and lots of plasticard. Only the tracks and turret rotation works, I've not figure out how to make it fire yet....

Killgore
20-04-2008, 17:43
In my big games it is my Phantom Titan

smaller games its my converted Ulthwe Autarch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Pezzar/autarch.jpg

Rabid Bunny 666
20-04-2008, 17:55
In my Renegade army, its my heavily converted Lord/Daemon Prince, although he only comes out to play at 2,000 odd points.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/rabid_bunny_666/LPIC4233.jpg

killa kan kaus
22-04-2008, 04:00
3 converted leman russes that are looted wagons with boomguns. They look pretty nice but are mostly just big.