PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Power/Magic Item Combos

Dartzstrong
20-04-2008, 01:40
What are some of the best combos that have worked for you guys (and gals) when it comes to Vampiric Powers and Magic Item Combinations?

Shamfrit
20-04-2008, 01:46
Sceptre De Noirot, Accursed Armour and Master of the Black Arts is excellent for a raising vampire who isn't intending to get into combat.

Dartzstrong
20-04-2008, 01:54
Accursed armor? may I ask why? Is there nothing better? I hardly feel that -3 WS is worth a +1 Toughness

Shamfrit
20-04-2008, 01:56
It is when you're coming up against alot of S3 infantry, so I guess that was a personal arena choice. That, and the better armour goes on my Lord and combat characters, this guys just for raising from the rear. So to speak.

Sedekiel
20-04-2008, 02:14
Vampire Lord:
Flying Horror
Infinite hatred
Walachs Bloody Hauberk
Forbidden lore :Beast

With Beast 1st spell on a 4+ you have a a Str 7 At 7 To 6 Flyer that can also reroll all attacks...

Cheers fdr

][nquist0r
20-04-2008, 02:16
You know that with bears anger you cannot use your magic weapons right?

Sedekiel
20-04-2008, 02:18
@ ][nquist0r
What magic weapons?

Cheers fdr

Darkangeldentist
20-04-2008, 03:43
I've become really enamoured of a number of different lord combinations.

Red fury and master of the dark arts with dread lance, flayed hauberk plus black periapt on nightmare. A level three caster who generates 5 dice and can cause up to 8 wounds in combat. Who needs a blood knights? He can quite happily lead a unit of dire wolves and see them beat up a fully ranked up regiment.

For casting lords I like forbidden lore, master of the dark arts and lord of the dead. The skull staff and helm of command for items. Extra level of course so again five power dice with a huge choice of spells and any one unit within 12" gets WS 7.

For a hero I think you can't go far wrong with dark acolyte and one of mastery powers (or avatar of death if you're worried about combat). Then a common magic weapon (sword of might etc...) and the book or arkhan.

fubukii
20-04-2008, 14:56
vampire lord - master of the black arts, dark ac, lord of the dead/ghouls or w/e your preference is, sword of might, walachs bloody hauberk, book of arkan - its a nice well rounded lord combo lvl 4 mage, 6 pd, decent in combat and decent protection.

Spirit
20-04-2008, 16:12
My favourite combo atm is the sword of blood, master of the black arts and the crimson gem of lahmia.

5 power dice, probably hatred if i want, can sacrafice wounds for power dice and has a sword that gives the lord thoses wounds back!

It is when you're coming up against alot of S3 infantry, so I guess that was a personal arena choice. That, and the better armour goes on my Lord and combat characters, this guys just for raising from the rear. So to speak.

S3 troops need 6's to wound a lord without the accurseed armour, and you dont get 7s to wound.

Reinnon
20-04-2008, 17:01
i playtested the following combos and finding them to my liking:

Vampire Lord: Master of the black arts, Summon Ghouls, Dark Acolyte, Skull Staff, Flayed Hauberk, Biting Blade
Total: 395
Vampire: Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls, book of arkham, sword of might
Total: 190
Vampire: Ghoulkin, Summon Ghouls, Blood Drinker
Total: 180

provides a solid basis for a ghoul based rush army with some hefty magic support, good all round.

Max zero
20-04-2008, 18:00
Vampire Lord 205
Extra magic level 50
Master of the Black Arts, Forbidden Lore, Summon Ghouls 100
The Flayed Hauberk, Helm of Commandment, The Book of Arkhan 90

5 PD
3 Vampire Lore Spells plus a whole Lore of Magic of your choice
Good Summoner
2+ Armour save
Can give his ws7 to any unit in 12"
One free power 3 Vanhals a turn

Expensive but a incredible support character.

Milney
20-04-2008, 18:47
Vampire Lord 205
3 Vampire Lore Spells plus a whole Lore of Magic of your choice

As far as I'm aware, Forbidden Lore doesn't give you knowledge of a "whole Lore of Magic" in addition to your normally generated spells.

The way it is phrased (p82 of Warhammer Armies: Vampire Counts);

"In addition to Invocation of Nehek the Vampire knows all of the spells from either the Lore of the Vampires or any one of the Lores of Magic in the Warhammer rulebook (except Lore of Life!)".

Whilst it doesn't explicitly state that this is instead of the normal 2/3/4 spells generated for your magic level, it is implied in how it's phrased.

Just another of the overlooked and unclear phrases of the new Vamps Book I suppose; the playtesters really did a ****-poor job with it.

Max zero
20-04-2008, 18:56
As far as I'm aware, Forbidden Lore doesn't give you knowledge of a "whole Lore of Magic" in addition to your normally generated spells.

"In addition to Invocation of Nehek the Vampire knows all of the spells from either the Lore of the Vampires or any one of the Lores of Magic in the Warhammer rulebook (except Lore of Life!)".

Whilst it doesn't explicitly state that this is instead of the normal 2/3/4 spells generated for your magic level, it is implied in how it's phrased.

Just another of the overlooked and unclear phrases of the new Vamps Book I suppose; the playtesters really did a ****-poor job with it.

Hmm I hope this is in the errata that Alessio was working on. I know he is working on it because the Australia players sorta got together and wrote their own VC FAQ and Alessio sent a email confirming one thing (can cast Invo of Neheck into combats).

Or maybe i'm wrong and everyone plays it a certain way.

So how does everyone else play Forbidden Lore?

Reinnon
20-04-2008, 19:16
the way it says to :)

a vampire only gains invocation standard, the forbidden lore power allows access to other laws or the lore of vampires. Note that the book states "in addition to Invocation of Nethek" not "in addition to his spells".

Ris
20-04-2008, 19:18

If that is the exact wording then there is nothing implied of the sort

you either choose to have all spells from the lore of vampires
or you have all spells from any one of the lores of magic

what specifically makes you think otherwise? :)

EDIT: the only assumption made here is that "knowing" a spell is the same as taking it into battle

Milney
20-04-2008, 19:25
If that is the exact wording then there is nothing implied of the sort

you either choose to have all spells from the lore of vampires
or you have all spells from any one of the lores of magic

what specifically makes you think otherwise? :)

Where did I say I think otherwise?

I was pointing out how it works. What I was saying is that unlike other items/abilities which are usually very specific with regards to spell selection, this is (relatively) open-ended.

I still read it the "correct" way, and was being polite in pointing this out to another player - unlike 99% of the forums who jump up and scream "OMG NOOB!".

Ris
20-04-2008, 19:29
heeeeey i didnt mean nothing by it. actually looking back at your post i see i got mixed up and we are both of the same opinion. my bad!

Spirit
20-04-2008, 21:57
heeeeey i didnt mean nothing by it. actually looking back at your post i see i got mixed up and we are both of the same opinion. my bad!

So you meant something then? :P

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

Ris
20-04-2008, 22:03
oh man im really messing up today :p

Dartzstrong
21-04-2008, 22:11
What others can we think of? I like Dreadlance/Red fury but its very costly and is only Lord LVL. What do you suggest for a Hero Level Character?

minionboy
21-04-2008, 23:06
What others can we think of? I like Dreadlance/Red fury but its very costly and is only Lord LVL. What do you suggest for a Hero Level Character?

I've become a fan of Flying Horror, Avatar of Death (great weapon) and Wristbands of Black Gold... That'll teach you for not putting your sorcerer in a unit. Or just as good, "I hope that wasn't an expensive chariot." :evilgrin:

Dartzstrong
21-04-2008, 23:11
I'm taking a Vargulf, which sorta is like that. Hmmm. A good idea though. I like it.

minionboy
22-04-2008, 02:09
I'm taking a Vargulf, which sorta is like that. Hmmm. A good idea though. I like it.

Sorta... kinda... not at all! You can keep this guy like an ace up your sleeve in a unit of ghouls or something. Also, a Varghulf isn't Str 7. Watch a TK chariot unit crumble (pun intended) when they get charged in the flank by 3 attacks that destroy them every hit. Oh, not to mention he's adding another power and dispel dice to your army and can even heal himself a little should he need it. :D

A Vargulf is great, but I wouldn't use it for character sniping, more for a counter attack unit to hit enemy flanks.

Dartzstrong
22-04-2008, 16:07
Very true indeed. Though I shouldn't have too much need to worry since Tomb Kings are extinct in my local store. Weird I know. I love the model range but people are put off by them for some reason. Maybe after their update (whenever that may be) they might make a return with a little boom. Who knows. I like that idea, but a proper opponent would put effort into making sure such an atrocity never occurred. Hmmm. I do like it however.....