PDA

View Full Version : What is an exterminatus?

Leviro
20-04-2008, 13:16
Ive been looking around for a while and i cant seem to find out what an exterminatus is, or how they do it, or much really. could eaveryone give as much information as possible

Gimp
20-04-2008, 13:21
exterminatus is when the imperiam decides to destroy the life on a planet.

it can be done in many ways. Virus bombing is one or shooting lances at the planet till they reach the core.

no idea how often it is done though.

Moostikal The Confused
20-04-2008, 13:25
Leviro, do you want to know what it physically is or what it does? i know what the out come is but would also like to find out just that lil bit more about the inq's greatest weapon.

Dreachon
20-04-2008, 13:26
Exterminatus means they'll wipe out all life on a planet, virus bombs are along with cyclonic torpedos are used the most.
Sofar the imperium can only destroy what's on the surface, they don't posses the means to fully destroy a plnet unlike chaos has with the ultimate exterminatus weapon: the planetkiller.

Leviro
20-04-2008, 13:27
id like to know anything and everything that is known (if its possible) :D

Remoah
20-04-2008, 13:43
There are many ways for the Imperium to destroy a planet.

Virus Bombing: Probably the easiest method, though not the most widespread. The planet is bombed with weapons that release a virus. this virus is not like chemical or biological weapons, it is a virus that turns all life forms, all biotic and organic material into a fuming ooze which gives of highly toxic and explosive vapours.
Then they set the planet alight.

Naval Firepower: Probably the most common way. The imperial navy simply bombs the planet. Using all it's firepower it focuses on one singular point, and bombards the planet with lance strikes and torpedoes that crack the planet's crust and destroys the planet.
SPOILER ALERT:
In the game Fire Warrior, if you complete the game you can see this happen to Dolumar. There may also be videos of it on Youtube.

There are other methods. Cyclonic Torpedoes are one but i don't know how it works. But the above are probably the most common.

Feor
20-04-2008, 14:00
Exterminatus, as has been mentioned, is the complete destruction of all life on a planet. It is the ultimate weapon of the imperium and its use is avoided whenever possible. (since they're not really making any more planets, destroying them is a bad thing) It can only be ordered by the High Lords of Terra, an Inquisitor, the Warmaster (if there's currently one appointed) and, very very rarely, Space Marine Chapter Masters.

There are varying ways to carry out Exterminatus. All Battle Barges and many battleships are capable of carrying out an Exterminatus unassisted, though additional vessels will make the process faster. The simplest form of Exterminatus is extended orbital bombardment with Nuclear weapons. This is also the least affective as any moderately advanced planet will be able to defend themselves adequetly from such an attack. (by simple lead lined bomb shelters, if nothing else) More commonly an exterminatus will be executed either by Cyclonic Topedoes or Virus Bombing. Cyclonic Torpedoes Ignite a planets atmosphere, crack it's crust, and cause significant tectonic events. Virus Bombs are a type of engineered plague which breaks down biological matter at the atomic level, after a virus bombing the planet will be completely devoid of life, even to the point of skeletons becoing nothing but brittle semi-fossilized calcium deposits. This process releases large amounts of methane and other volitile gasses into the atmosphere of the planet. These gasses will be ignited by a single lance shot from the vessel which initially instigated the bombing, igniting the planet's entire atmosphere and reducing any unfortunates not yet fully consumed by the virus into charred ash.

Of the "conventional" exterminatus methods, Virus Bombing is the quicker, typically being able to strip a planet of life within a matter of hours, leaving it a lifeless husk, Cyclonic torpedoes can take some time to finish the job as the planet settles back to a semblance of stability. Neither if perfect however, and both have been survived in the past. (Tallarn was Virus Bombed during the Horus Heresey, it's inhabitants survived by sealing themselves within their hive cities, making them fully air-tight. As such they were spared teh affects of the virus, and many of them survived the firestorm, despite the hive essentially becoming giant ovens)

There is also a few, extremely rare and difficult ot obtain methods of Exterminatus which can physically destroy a planet (Death Star style). Extended Lance Bombardment is possible, but will often take many days to complete as the lances bore therough the planet's crust and eventually destabilize the Planet's core. The most infamous instance of this method being used was when the Night Haunter destroyed his homeworld just before the Horus Heresey. Another is a "two stage torpedo", which initially bores through to a planet's core, and then detonates, typically shattering the planet. Neither of those are guaranteed to destoyr the planet, but will almost certainly shatter the planet's crust and cause the planet to become entirely molten for a time. These methods are typically reserved for worlds without an atmosphere or any biological flora or fauna. (Necron Tomb Worlds being the prime targets)

Loopstah
20-04-2008, 17:24
Did you read the story "Countdown to Midnight" in the latest issue of Firebase?

It puts a different spin on the whole Exterminatus thing, I must admit I never really thought what it would be like knowing your entire planet was going to be destroyed and you couldn't stop it. That's the Imperium for you though.

Imperialis_Dominatus
20-04-2008, 18:32
Exterminatus is what an Inquisitor does when that planet absolutely cannot be allowed to see another dawn.

This is Exterminatus. It is made of fire and doom.

heretics bane
20-04-2008, 19:17
Exterminatus means they'll wipe out all life on a planet, virus bombs are along with cyclonic torpedos are used the most.
Sofar the imperium can only destroy what's on the surface, they don't posses the means to fully destroy a plnet unlike chaos has with the ultimate exterminatus weapon: the planetkiller.

mmhh yes they can! during the 13th BC the lord castellian guy of Cadia order a prison world to be exterminated and was blowin into a ewn asteroid belt

Then all traitor legions homeworlds where blowing to pieces just look at the DA's rock.

woop 1k posts!

Johnnyfrej
20-04-2008, 19:57
Exterminatus is what happens when you really tick off an Inquisitor (or if he is bored and has nothing better to do).

Dreachon
20-04-2008, 20:05
I know of the prison but wasn't that more of an asteroid or a really small moon, I konw most of the traitor homeworlds are declared perdta but I'm certain if they were fully destroyed.

LoneSniperSG
20-04-2008, 20:44
Feor, didn't the Tallarn survive by sheltering in bunkers underground, and then subsequently a week later fought the largest tank battle in all of Imperial history?

heretics bane
20-04-2008, 21:17
I know of the prison but wasn't that more of an asteroid or a really small moon, I konw most of the traitor homeworlds are declared perdta but I'm certain if they were fully destroyed.

They where nuked, Horus's was nuked, fulgrims, and pretty much every other traitor legion's was destroyed. perdta was IIRC only ever placed in Ivastaan III and pluto or the planet in thesol system that the ad mech messed up

Feor
20-04-2008, 21:33
and pluto or the planet in thesol system that the ad mech messed up

That was Ganymede

DapperAnarchist
20-04-2008, 21:36
Perdita was also declared on that Necron infestation the Elysians encountered, I believe. Or possibly that was just a quarentine...

Archangel_Ruined
20-04-2008, 21:54
Methinks exterminatus isn't too widely explored in the fluff. The most effective planet killing weapon are the blackstone fortresses that Abbaddon activated, and it's best not to consider what he wants exterminating. The inquistition tend to use the methods already listed. Marines don't tend to exterminate planets, it's not what they're about, however they are capable of stripping worlds of life when necessary.
The reason I state that exterminatus isn't really the most properly explored piece of background is that the necron threat would be less worrying. Thought out properly, a tomb world is discovered (dead world where things go missing? Hmmm....), a fleet turns up to quarantine the planet, whilst they're there they open fire on a fixed point for a few minutes. Necrons go away... Even faster, and much safer from a fleet perspective, fire a 'warp bomb' from a distance, tear a chunk out of the planet, watch the rest go pop, have some lunch. Proper job.

The_Outsider
21-04-2008, 00:02
Blackstone fortresses aren't exterminatus level weapons really.

They can do it - but its nowhere near the best use of their power.

macattac
21-04-2008, 01:43
I belive Ive heard somewhere about a bomb or something that acts like a giant vortex grenade. im not sure if it is confirmable, but I know it would be cool. and speaking of entire worlds dieing, has there been any references to black holes in 40k?

a helpless goat
21-04-2008, 04:21
there are death strike missiles that act like large vortex gernades. Though these are no way close enough to destroy a planet. They are more of a tactical asset.

LoneSniperSG
21-04-2008, 05:44
Blackstones aren't large enough to crack a planet or extinguish life on one. Might make a hole, but nothing that kills it. You are thinking of the Planet Killer that Abaddon had constructed to assist him in getting the Blackstones.

Leviro
21-04-2008, 13:19
has there been any references to black holes in 40k? id like to know aswell!
Anyway, taking a chunk out of a planet would destroy it as itll loose orbit with a sun, its moons would collide...

Archangel_Ruined
21-04-2008, 15:34
Blackstone fortresses aren't large enough to crack a planet? They're designed to destroy stars, a planet wouldn't be a dot to them. I agree that it isn't their best use though...

Dreachon
21-04-2008, 15:53
Your correct, a single blackstone can't, but these weapons have the ability to combine firepower, Abbadon use two of the combined to wipe out a planet later used even 3 cobmined to extuinguish a star or something causing the death of an entire system I believe, it was mentioned somewhere in BFG.

Guilliman
23-04-2008, 15:11
This is what it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FYXj9xOUFIM