PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines and hair styles

BoosterX
20-04-2008, 13:37
Any marines have long hair? Or are they all dogmatic and shave it like ancient Samurai ?

Would long hair be more of a specific chapter trait, or would be seen in armies like Crimson Fists or Black Templars?

Or am I bordering on Chaos?

DapperAnarchist
20-04-2008, 13:49
Well, Space Wolves and Blood Angels are often shown with long hair...

The Guy
20-04-2008, 15:22
Unfortunatley the models mainly have slapheads. as previously stated SW and BA have long hair.
Chaos marines tend to have long hair [which they usually fashion into stoopid top knots] so maybe this is why SM have shorter hair?

Reinholt
20-04-2008, 15:34
Any marines have long hair? Or are they all dogmatic and shave it like ancient Samurai ?

Would long hair be more of a specific chapter trait, or would be seen in armies like Crimson Fists or Black Templars?

Or am I bordering on Chaos?

The current range of marine miniatures seems to indicate that the following are acceptable hairstyles:

1) Shaved / bald.

2) Close cut jarhead style.

3) Anything that you would see in a hair metal band from the 1980's.

Anything else is heresy.

Eetion
20-04-2008, 16:25
World Eaters must have long hair.... I mean would you go to a Khornate Hairdresser?

Damage,Inc.
20-04-2008, 17:20
World Eaters must have long hair.... I mean would you go to a Khornate Hairdresser?

Sweeney Todd?

Imperialis_Dominatus
20-04-2008, 18:34
As with everything SM, it depends on the Chapter in question. If you want Marines with long hair, work it into the background.

Eulenspiegel
20-04-2008, 18:46
:D:D:D

There is no Marine hairstyle-code. The Codex Astartes may have a sentence or two about practical haircuts (i.e. shaven or very short), but in fact most of the Chapters may or may not have their own rules.
IŽd say whatever fits under a helmet is fine.

Rockerfella
20-04-2008, 18:57
I like either crew cut, bald, or long. I know that dont leave much else, but i don't think a marine would have too much time, or really give a crap about how his hais is styled, as it were.

I'm suddenly thinking VO5 hair care product ads here.

I can just see it....

Fulgrim turns to face the camera, his golden locks clearly worked on using Loriel Surf hair. He winks at the camera...... "Because I'm worth it"

Ah dear.

I'll get me coat.

Finnith
20-04-2008, 19:01
Id say bald for the vast majority unless the gene seed has something to overwrite this depending on the chapter.

More testosterone = less hair on the head and more everywhere else.

Blood Angels would mostly have long hair the same colour as sangrinus(sp?) since they are said to have the greatest transformation. Going from nearly mutants to some of the best lookers in the galaxy.

Lol Rockerfella

Leviro
20-04-2008, 19:07
Fulgrim turns to face the camera, his golden locks clearly worked on using Loriel Surf hair. He winks at the camera...... "Because I'm worth it".
:D great idea, maybe you could get some desiner clothes sold at the same time ;)

DapperAnarchist
20-04-2008, 21:38
And now, our designer Chaos armour, perfect for the snake-daemon in your life!

I'd imagine World Eaters as either shaved with a knife, or lank and greasy and long.

CaptainSenioris
20-04-2008, 21:52
I gave one of my marines an Afro. (don't believe me? It's in the first couple of pages in my log).

It's up to personal preference really, if you want crazy necromunda 'do's' then go ahead and do it.

Imperialis_Dominatus
20-04-2008, 21:56
Please tell me he wasn't a 'pool's closed' Marine.

Though an army of these would be sweet, in a wrong, wrong way:

The Anarchist
20-04-2008, 22:00
one major point i would like to add is with the helmet having interfaces it may be difficult for some of the extra features to work at its best if there's too much hair in the way. standard british army battle helmets are far less complicated however having shorter hair does make them much easier to wear comfortably.

also remember most chapters that commonly have long hair in their models are not perfect chapter material; for example blood angels and Space Wolves.

just for the funny list fulgrim can do loriel, but Sangunius fluttering his lashes "maybe he's born with it, maybe its Maybelline"

Grimtuff
20-04-2008, 22:02

Though an army of these would be sweet, in a wrong, wrong way:

Word. Brutha.

Though the head I despise seeing on SM models, is that bloody Guardian one. Aside from the fact it's an Eldar head, it makes them look like the Emorines. :rolleyes:

CaptainSenioris
20-04-2008, 22:08

Nah, just a normal Imperial Fist. I figured if they take some Terran recruits there might be the odd weird hairdo.

PotatoLegs
20-04-2008, 22:09
White Scars dig their top-knots too, donchewkno

Freak Ona Leash
20-04-2008, 22:37
I prfer my marines with mohawks. Proper, fanned 'hawks, too, not this nasty, "practical" garbage. Failing that, liberty spikes. Because punk marines are the awesomesauce.

PotatoLegs
20-04-2008, 22:49
Punk Space Marines would be too busy arguing how legitimatly punk they are to be able to do anything constructive

Creeping_Death
20-04-2008, 23:32
I'd imagine World Eaters as either shaved with a knife, or lank and greasy and long.

Yup, thats how I imagine my WE's. Now if only we actually had a model to go with the lank greasiness...

Edit: Bugger, top of page syndrome...

Koryphaus
20-04-2008, 23:41
I like either crew cut, bald, or long. I know that dont leave much else, but i don't think a marine would have too much time, or really give a crap about how his hais is styled, as it were.

I'm suddenly thinking VO5 hair care product ads here.

I can just see it....

Fulgrim turns to face the camera, his golden locks clearly worked on using Loriel Surf hair. He winks at the camera...... "Because I'm worth it"

Ah dear.

I'll get me coat.

just for the funny list fulgrim can do loriel, but Sangunius fluttering his lashes "maybe he's born with it, maybe its Maybelline"

Nice guys, nice. :p It made my morning reading that... Granted, I've only been up for 15 min, but the point is still valid.;)

BoosterX
20-04-2008, 23:48
Well, it seems Mullets are definitely out.

So it doesn't matter what hair style my crimson fists will have...

Mad King George
21-04-2008, 00:47
hair ftw take off those helemets wolf brother give us 10 hairy headsa a box

goblinmedics
21-04-2008, 05:45
It seems to me like marines would be for the most part bald or buzzed.

Only because it's the most practical for fighting, which is what their entire lives center on. Nobody can grab you by the hair if it isn't there.

different13
21-04-2008, 06:47
Anyone remember that Rasta Chapter, from a few years ago?

No, it wasn't an official chapter, but a brilliantly converted army. Dreads everywhere!

Brother-Captain De Angele
21-04-2008, 07:00
I'm not sure about fluff but im pretty sure that the night lord all through their existance have had the mightiest of emo fringes, i saw a guy's night haunter it had long hair and a MIGHTY emo fringe.

BoosterX
21-04-2008, 13:21
2 pages of hair talk, from a bunch of dudes... wtf ;)

Next are the nails topic?

Killgore
21-04-2008, 13:48
Mohawks where pretty popular in the past

if i was to model a marine commander id give him a Mohawk :D

elvinltl
21-04-2008, 13:53
For all you know they could be pretty Fashionable.
Sister of Battles dyed their hair white and adopt the Rihanna hairstyle.
Under those helms you could be surprised to find Mohawk style. I won't be surprised some of them even keep long hair and bond them straight.

Emperor's Grace
21-04-2008, 16:36
Short hair/bald has numerous advantages in combat, armor comfort, and sanitation for those fighting in the field.

jma037
22-04-2008, 03:09
My Templars has those monk hair cuts. The ones with the bold patch on the top. What do you call them? They look surprisingly scary with bloodied chainswords.