PDA

View Full Version : Medium Monsters now 1 wound cavalry mounts?

Odin
20-04-2008, 14:20
I notice in the new Daemon book that Daemonic Steeds are now 1-wound models, meaning they can't be killed separately from their rider but instead provide an increase in armour save in the same way as normal cavalry. Apparently Tyrion's horse is along similar lines in the High Elf book (haven't seen it myself.

So it seems this will be the general pattern for those mid-range steeds, which have previously been a bit rubbish - too easy a target, leaving their rider on foot. Seems like a great idea to me (plus it means a lot less need for spare models on foot). But how far will it go? In particular I am thinking about medium flyers like Great Eagles and Pegasuses...Pegasii... Pegases... oh you know what I mean!

I assume in the Wood Elf book, when it is eventually re-released (won't be for quite a while yet), that Unicorns and Great Stags will be 1 wound models, providing +2 armour saves. But will the same apply to Great Eagles? Anyone know if Pegasuses have become 1 wound models in new books? The Empire or High Elves books for example?

soulcrusher
20-04-2008, 15:05
dunno actuallu ill have a look at my he book

what steeds does it include for daemons ?

soulcrusher
20-04-2008, 15:08
tyrions horse has 1 wound and so does the normal elven steed, however dragons ( sun. moon , star ) eagles, griffons all have around 3 + wounds

soulcrusher
20-04-2008, 15:10
btw can you only have 1 karnak? for the new daemons?

Odin
20-04-2008, 15:41
tyrions horse has 1 wound and so does the normal elven steed, however dragons ( sun. moon , star ) eagles, griffons all have around 3 + wounds

Interesting, I guess they decided an unkillable flying mount would be too powerful. Assume that will go for the Pegasus as well. Griffons are obviously in the next level of monsters and obviously I'd expect them to stay separate from the rider.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
20-04-2008, 15:43
btw can you only have 1 karnak? for the new daemons?

Indeed, and only one Changeling.

They are listed as singular unit upgrades, and it states very clearly 'ONE unit may upgrade' and so on.

Nice to see Slaaesh got passed over for special character goodness though.

Grimtuff
20-04-2008, 15:51
Nice to see Slaaesh got passed over for special character goodness though.

Eh?

The Masque. 90pts of pure ruleswise awesomeness.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
20-04-2008, 15:57
The Masque and,......?

Slaanesh gets one, everyone else gets multiple. Not bloody fair!

Emeraldw
20-04-2008, 15:57
Interesting, I guess they decided an unkillable flying mount would be too powerful. Assume that will go for the Pegasus as well. Griffons are obviously in the next level of monsters and obviously I'd expect them to stay separate from the rider.

I like this way a lot better, makes those special mounts much more useful. I assume you mean the Royal Pegasus as the standard ones already act as normal mounts for the Pegasus knights or rather are counted together like the warhawk riders.

theunwantedbeing
20-04-2008, 16:00
Yes 1 wound mounts seem to be the norm now.
And 1 wound flying mounts are removed from the game completely as they are hideously overpowered.
Hence why VC's dont get any if you ignore the hellsteed.

I cant see why on earth anyone would think larger monsters would be turned into single wound mounts though.

Grimtuff
20-04-2008, 16:09
The Masque and,......?

Slaanesh gets one, everyone else gets multiple. Not bloody fair!

Oh yeah.

Fair point then, Khorne technically got 3. The greedy gits!

BloodiedSword
20-04-2008, 16:53
Tyrion in the old rules was stupid anyway.

"Hai I get a 1+/2++ and come back to life so you can never ever kill me.. what's this you are getting 3 free CR from my T3 Monstrous Mount with a 5+ save and making me walk like a pleb?"

Entire combats have been lost because of that stupidly easy to hurt Malhandir and I'm glad they're phasing out the whole idea.

Odin
20-04-2008, 19:43
Yes 1 wound mounts seem to be the norm now.
And 1 wound flying mounts are removed from the game completely as they are hideously overpowered.

:confused: That's an interesting way of putting it. Why would you ignore the Hellsteed - it is indeed a 1 wounds flying mount for characters. Which means VCs have one such monster, in comparison to every other army out there which all currently have none.

But it does make me wonder, that is the first 1-wound flying monster mount for characters, why has the great eagle not gone the same way? Is it because it still needs to be a valid option as an unridden Rare choice?

larabic
20-04-2008, 21:10
Non- monster multi-wound mounts has always been a draw back not a benefit. Tyrion's horse was always his achillies heel, same for archeon. Challenge him and kill his horse break him and run him down. Now he is much tougher.

Emeraldw
20-04-2008, 22:13
But it does make me wonder, that is the first 1-wound flying monster mount for characters, why has the great eagle not gone the same way? Is it because it still needs to be a valid option as an unridden Rare choice?

Interesting way of looking at it. For Wood Elves there is the option of possibly warhawks for Nobles in the new book. But For high Elves they don't have something smaller like a normal mount that flies.

@Irabic: Actually for my mage on a great eagle, it has helped her to live from shooting. The randomization between rider and mount has helped her to live longer. Especially since the Eagle is T4 rather than the T3 elf (who usually has a 3+ ward save, but who wants to take chances with a lord caster?).

sulla
20-04-2008, 22:24

Strange statement EvC... Similarly, they don't get any ability to smash chariots if you ignore great weapons. :p

snyggejygge
20-04-2008, 23:39
:confused: That's an interesting way of putting it. Why would you ignore the Hellsteed - it is indeed a 1 wounds flying mount for characters. Which means VCs have one such monster, in comparison to every other army out there which all currently have none.

It isnīt really the first, back in the days Discs of Tzeentch used to be 1 wound flying mounts as well, rumours has it that they will be once again! So it has been tested before, makes me wonder if they feel that fying mounts isnīt as powerful as they used to be, or if theyīve forgotten how good discs used to be.

Mireadur
21-04-2008, 00:13
I like this change so much too, good call.

Emeraldw
21-04-2008, 00:37
It isnīt really the first, back in the days Discs of Tzeentch used to be 1 wound flying mounts as well, rumours has it that they will be once again! So it has been tested before, makes me wonder if they feel that fying mounts isnīt as powerful as they used to be, or if theyīve forgotten how good discs used to be.

To me mounts are based more on their level of power. Dragons are clearly a step above the rest in power and should be separate. In the case of something as simple as a Pegasus, or a simple bird, making them separate doesn't really seem necessary as the mounts are not that different from the riders in power.