PDA

View Full Version : High elf dragon base size

Finnigan2004
20-04-2008, 18:12
If someone uses an older dragon on a 50mm base for a high elf army, are they technically in violation of the rules? If a high elf dragon does indeed use a chariot base, then what about other armies. What if a chaos general uses the high elf dragon to mount his lord on? Then should he use the larger or smaller base?

Copenhagan
20-04-2008, 21:01
You use the base supplied with the model. So in the case of older dragons or dragons form armies other then High Elves you use the base that comes with the model.

BloodiedSword
20-04-2008, 22:52
If in doubt use the larger base in this situation. The reason being that you don't gain any advantage (it's still 50mm wide at the front) but you have a longer flank. Your opponent then has absolutely no reason for complaint.

Though I don't think he'd have real grounds for complaint even if you did use a 50x50mm base.

theunwantedbeing
20-04-2008, 23:34
I dont think it really matters, each has the own advantages and disadvantages.
However, if your going to use the newer dragon on a chariot base then you'll notice that the dragons head extends from the base rather a long way..this can be seen as an unfair advantage.

I've had several complaints about the use of my hydra, which as it hangs over the edge of its base allows me an extra inch or so for the breath weapon.
Similarly my chaos dragon (built around the forest dragon) has a fairly major overhang.

So long as you arent gaining too great an advantage from the base (larger or smaller) it shouldnt cause any problems.

An example of a unfair advantage to having a large base over the small one is that template weapons are almost always going to be partial hits, while the smaller base can be fully covered by a lot of templates.
Or landing your own chaos dragon side on while on a chariot base, allowing yourself rather a lot more attacks granted from the berserker sword, or inflicting far more wounds due to having the amulet of chaos.

Braad
21-04-2008, 11:03
If in doubt use the larger base in this situation. The reason being that you don't gain any advantage (it's still 50mm wide at the front) but you have a longer flank. Your opponent then has absolutely no reason for complaint.

He might have, since the dragons terror has a greater reach.

But indeed, I would just stick to the supplied base size, until GW finally gives some actual rules for this.
The only thing we had up to now was a reference sheet that says dragons go on 50x50, but that's an old document.

xragg
21-04-2008, 13:06
I have wondered this myself. Skaven weapon teams and jezzails used to be 2 man sized models that you stuck side-by-side when you deployed them. Now they give you a calvary base. Am I supposed to tear off my old bases and rebase them? This is a minor difference in size, but its not the only models I own that have changed base size over the years. Others include:

Tzeentch demonic mount, was calavry mount, now 40mm (I think)
Tzeentch disc, was mansized, now 40mm or 50mm (forget which)
Wyvern, was 40mm, now 50mm

I am sure there are more, but the Tzeentch ones were at the top of my mind since I used some very old models at the recent 'ard boyz tourney and hope I dont get "scerewed" by this at the semi's which I am sure will be much more strict on the appearance of models.

xragg
21-04-2008, 13:09
Or landing your own chaos dragon side on while on a chariot base, allowing yourself rather a lot more attacks granted from the berserker sword, or inflicting far more wounds due to having the amulet of chaos.

...like getting 13 attacks with the berserker sword when Orion is on the front and 4 treekin are on your flank last tourney?!? :)

Fhoen
21-04-2008, 17:07
I am sure there are more, but the Tzeentch ones were at the top of my mind since I used some very old models at the recent 'ard boyz tourney and hope I dont get "scerewed" by this at the semi's which I am sure will be much more strict on the appearance of models.

night goblin squig herds come to mind... prolly alot more

Crazy Harborc
22-04-2008, 01:43
If it's supposed to be a HE dragon, in a 7th edition game, count the dragon as being on a 50 by 100mm base.

22-04-2008, 06:23
well you can always use a bigger base but your not supposed to use a smaller one. and using the base provided (or larger) is teh general accepted thing. same issue arrises with Tyron his base size provided is larger then the rules would dictate (no longer a monsterous mount just a Cav mount)

I would say use what was gievn with it (Im not buying larger bases for my older dragons)