PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Heirophant v Titans

big rock standing
20-04-2005, 12:11
im thinking of buying a FW heirophant. i think it woul cool on the table (scary, spindly and fragile but still cool) before i fork out though. just wondered if anyone had used one in a battle. how did it do? v titans? or troops etc?

thanks in advance :confused:

Black Ambience
20-04-2005, 19:11
Traditionally Tyranid Bio-titans have been a little less deadly than their metallic brethren in the shooting phase, but once a Bio-titan closes and brings its claws to bear it is game over opposition. I've looked over the rules for the Heirophant and it's a pretty nasty piece of work!

It's well worth the investment, a) for the centre-piece effect, b) for its lethal abilities and c) for the sheer terror the model inspires.

Puffin Magician
20-04-2005, 19:14
Well you can download it's stats for free on the Forgeworld website (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/PDF/hierophant.pdf), and see for yourself how scary this creature can be. T8, W5 and 3 Mass Points isn't bad at all, and it's ranged armament consists of two Ap3 large-blast weapons.

Being s10, and the BioCannons being Assault weapons, you can pop off two shots every turn with them, which is pretty scary if you're a vehicle. Very few s10 weapons have the range of the Hierophant's BioCannons so they are a very real threat to infantry, vehicles and titans alike.

With it's many Wounds and Mass Points, and high Toughness, I'd say this is on par with the Warhound and Revenant [as it should be, for equivalent point costs].

The only problem I have with the Hierophant it's not true to its Epic 40,000 roots; the 6mm 'Phant was large enough to take on Reaver or even Warlord Titans. This little guy's the size of a [true] Hierodule Bio-Titan.

Flame Boy
20-04-2005, 20:28
It is a bit scrawny compared to the Epic versions, and it certainly looks different, but it's still a nice model once you get used to the odd body shape.

Brimstone
21-04-2005, 05:26
The Hierophant should take down a Warhound fairly easily, the Warhound isn't that good in HtH unlike the Hierophant. However in the shooting phase it's the other way around.

Thankfully the bio-titan can get round this by getting inside the Warhound minimum weapon range as it's classified as a beast however it's a tricky proposition to stay there before charging.

Black Ambience
21-04-2005, 22:14
Ah they have updated it's rules. Still very nasty. It would be interesting to see what the next size up in Tyranid Titans would be. Hive Fleet Moloch had some pretty amazing ideas for a new-style Tyranid Dominatrix (http://www.hive-fleet-moloch.de/spawning_biovore.htm).

Question for Brimstone - do Venom Cannons lose the "Glancing only" effect in the V4 Codex?

Puffin Magician
21-04-2005, 22:17
The next step up in Tyranid Titans is the Dominatrix, although the Hierophant itself should be at least 18" tall [and probably close to 26" long] and the Hierodule should be this size. I wish Forgeworld had done that.

Question for Brimstone - do Venom Cannons lose the "Glancing only" effect in the V4 Codex?
If you're asking because of the Venom Cannon being a good AT weapon with the Creature Design Rules, BioCannons are modified Deathspitters [which can penetrate vehicles ;)].

Brimstone
22-04-2005, 05:08

Yes & no. :p

They can penetrate open topped vehicles now.

The hierophants bio-cannons started off as Venom cannons but where switched in the V2 rules as having glancing only weapons was silly on a titan.

Dreachon
22-04-2005, 17:41
@Puffinmagician

got any confirmation that the next nid Titan is gonna be the dominatrix, personally I would love to see this monster on the table, it was so devastating in epic :D
Or any other type of bio-titan, a Trgon would be awesome

Brimstone
22-04-2005, 17:49
The next Titan is said to be an Ork one but that's more by a process of elimination (FW said they would do ones for all races with Titan) than confirmation by Forgeworld.

I doubt we will see another original Tyranid titan for a long long time if ever.

Dreachon
22-04-2005, 19:13
next one is either ork stompa or the imperial reaver titan

Flame Boy
23-04-2005, 15:19
I like that concept for the Dominatrix, but one thing appear to be missing... Didn't the original Dominatrix consist of a huge fighting beast with a second Tyranid "rider" fused to it? That wouldexplain the name logically, the smaller riding Tyranid would be controlling the larger beast, hence "Dominatrix". Still, those concept art pictures (and the biovore conversion that follows) are very imnpressive.

I'd be happy to see Gargants, Trygons, Dominatrixes and Reavers to be honest. The more the merrier. :)

Black Ambience
23-04-2005, 17:07
The Trygon isn't so much a Titan as a Baneblade though. Would be interesting to see how it would turn out with the new look for the Tyranids though. If anything, that makes it easier to fit into the rules.

I thought that the creature in the "cradle" of the Dominatrix was a sort of atrophied Hive Tyrant? Never really made sense to me... unless it's just a "symbiote weapon" on a ridiculous scale.

Frodo34x
23-04-2005, 17:52
Does anyone else remember the Gargantuan creature article? It had a trygon.

Rabid Bunny 666
23-04-2005, 19:05
do you mean the rules or the model?

the model was a conversion byv sherman bishop, awesome webpage, but its nowhere on the web now

plasmadaemon
23-04-2005, 19:19
think about the time you will spend painting the damn thing :D

Rabid Bunny 666
23-04-2005, 19:23
its a nice model in general, but definately an improvement on the epic one
*shudders* it was cool, but this one blows it out of the water

and to plasmadaemon, too b****y long :D

Dreachon
23-04-2005, 19:24
Hopefully we'll get to see a new titan soon

Black Ambience
23-04-2005, 20:30
do you mean the rules or the model?

the model was a conversion byv sherman bishop, awesome webpage, but its nowhere on the web now

That would explain why my relentless googling has failed to re-find his website. Such a shame, his stuff was inspiring!

Rabid Bunny 666
23-04-2005, 20:31
i tried his web address, but it says that its no longer there,m tis lame, he had some awesome conversions on there