PDA

View Full Version : Ethereal v. effects that include move penalties

Latro
22-04-2008, 10:51
I did a search and couldn't find anything on it yet, so here it comes:

Ethereal movement has the following rule: "They are also never effected by any special rule, spell or item that would otherwise reduce their movement or stop them moving completely."

How should I read this?

- Ethereal only prevents the negative movement effect from the rule, spell or item.

- Ethereal prevents the whole rule, spell or item from having an effect because it includes a movement penalty.

Example: Anvil of Doom ... can it zap the Wraiths just for the damage part or can't it zap the Wraiths at all?

:cool:

(PS From a RAW point of view I'm inclined to say it prevents the entire rule,spell or item from working.)

T10
22-04-2008, 11:02
It seems the simplest implementation is for the unit to simply ignore movement penalties.

-T10

EvC
22-04-2008, 11:08
It's a dodgy one on all accounts: going by the example given and the wording, I have the impression that the whole attack is meant to be ignored. But the example used is ridiculous (Pit of Shades) and the implication a little outrageous... so I would play as T10 says.

Festus
22-04-2008, 11:10
Hi

The first is true: Movement modifications do not have an effect on ethereals, everthing else does. It will not stop the spell at all, just prevent a few effects of its.

Festus

praesto
22-04-2008, 15:01
Aka our dear black knights get to continue their steamroll towards the fat dwarves without any movement penalty?

Latro
22-04-2008, 16:16
So it's basicly up to the person to decide what he prefers due to dodgy wording ... but the simplest interpretation (and less likely to upset people) would be to restrict it to just immunity versus movement penalties.

:cool:

SuperBeast
22-04-2008, 16:51
The problem is, the immunity to movement penalties in regards to barding is what's upsetting people...

Xirathnix
22-04-2008, 18:24
While the rule clearly stops the entire spell (it never once says stops only the movement part of the spell). I really dont think it should be played that way. (you should suffer all the penalties besides movement)