PDA

View Full Version : Soulgrinder as a daemon prince?

Icarus
22-04-2008, 11:38
I'm currently in the process of planning out my new daemon army and was toying with the idea of using the Soulgrinder model as a Daemon Prince for use in Fantasy. I figured if I painted it up all Steampunk, with an archaic bronze look to the metal and kit it out with a sword it would look pretty cool. And I'd mount it on a suitable base obviously.

Just wondered how people would feel about playing against such a model. Obviously its my army so in that sense anything goes, but I'd still like to get a feel to how people would react to it. I figure some people may find it odd, but in a world where Steam Tanks exist, I don't think a steam-powered daemonic monstrosity is going too far. Opinions?

Armilthuan
22-04-2008, 12:00
I would find it 'okay'.

If the Steampunk theme was visible through your entire army then I would say it is very cool.

mistformsquirrel
22-04-2008, 12:04
Agree with Armilthuan. Steampunk Daemons would be awesome.

If its JUST the one model, it could still be done really cool, especially if you have interesting fluff for it - but personally I'd feel best about it if you carried it through the whole army. That of course is just my opinion <@_@>b

Lijacote
22-04-2008, 12:05
If the Steampunk theme was visible through your entire army then I would say it is very cool.

I disagree with this sentiment. If you make it steampunk and it works on its own, IT WORKS. No offense intended to any party.

As for my opinion, go for it.

Bloodknight
22-04-2008, 12:16
Since we are talking WFB here: I think the fixed base size for a DP is 50x50 mm. So basically using it is against the rules because I doubt you could fit than engine on any base smaller than a CD ;). The large base would probably be a disadvantage (more enemies in contact), but I would rather ask my regular opponents if they are ok with it and you will not be able to play it in tournaments.

Armilthuan
22-04-2008, 12:21
I disagree with this sentiment. If you make it steampunk and it works on its own, IT WORKS. No offense intended to any party.

As for my opinion, go for it.

I don't really understand, could you care to elaborate?

Lijacote
22-04-2008, 12:22
I see my structured sentence has collapsed under its own lack of weight.

As in, I think it would work even without every unit in the army being of the same theme. I disagree that everything needs to be the same.

Armilthuan
22-04-2008, 12:43
I see my structured sentence has collapsed under its own lack of weight.

As in, I think it would work even without every unit in the army being of the same theme. I disagree that everything needs to be the same.

XD You seriously had me laugh there. Yeah you're right. The whole army need not to be converted. But if it was only the daemon prince, then it would be an 'empty' theme.

theunwantedbeing
22-04-2008, 12:44
Giant steampunk daemonic robots are cool.
Why on earth would it not be okay for that reason?

The main problem I see with using it is the base size.
You could have a smaller base you put under him to represent where he actually is, a base that is the correct size.
You could possibly attach him to this base with a flying stand(magnetised perhaps so he can be removed if the model would foul on other models nearby).

He's a tad big though.
Daemon princes arent even large targets...while his model certainly makes him one!

On coolness alone, it's fine.

mrtn
22-04-2008, 12:52
I don't like it, I think it would just look like a 40k model on the wrong table. But then I think that there's too much steam punk in WFB already.

BloodiedSword
22-04-2008, 14:50
Whatever really.. as long as it looks cool I don't care, and even if it doesn't to your opponents that still doesn't matter provided you like how it looks.

It's not like daemon armies don't already look wildly disjointed and non-thematic given that the restrictions on the gods are gone.

soulcrusher
22-04-2008, 14:54
i agree with mrtn because isn`t that whats 40k for? if you prefer machines, guns and futuristic crap ( by crap i mean stuff , sorry to offend any 40k players ) not swords, pikes ,war machines and great beasts

from a modling point of view it would rock but from a fluff and a gaming point of view i think it would go pretty badly

however its your own decision and at the end of the day you can use your own moddles to represent different units / characters although i would advise against it

btw though have you seen the new bloodcrusher? inbetween the red plates where it is a silver colour the legs look abit robotic, although i have not read its fluff so i dont realy know.

bloodied soldier i dont think the restrcitions of the gods really matter , in many books ( black library and army books ) it often talks about invasions of deamons often combining the four gods i.e he and storn of chaos

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-04-2008, 14:57
I know of at least one Steampunk demon legion already(have a look here (http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=27432)), and I don't really think there should be any problem with it as lon as the model look good people will generally be happy enough with it.

Icarus
22-04-2008, 17:47
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Its definatelty something im going to have a go at, mostly because, as theunwantedbeing says, giant steampunk daemonic robots are cool!

However I feel fair points are made about the size and the basing. The people I play regularly are pretty good sports so I doubt this will be a problem, but it *is* going to end up being way bigger than a standard DP. I may try having it raising up angrily on its back legs to try and reduce the base size somewhat. Will have to play around with it one I get the parts.

As to the issue of theming, I like the idea of theming the whole army, but I doubt I have the patience to convert *everything*. What I may do instead is convert key models, so my Heralds and unit champions will also have a steampunk theme. And if GW gets round to releasing a plastic Bloodthirster (i believe that was rumoured somewhere???) then that would be awesome to steampunkify! :evilgrin:

Lordsaradain
22-04-2008, 18:13
The model is abit too big to be a demon prince I think. Otherwise it sounds like a cool idea.

Devil-Dice
22-04-2008, 19:56
I had a similar idea when i saw the new model but i was thinking of fitting it with legs and converting it into a super tall hard as deamon prince, although im not sure what legs would fit well with it. It would probably look better this way imo as opposed to just slapping a 40k mini down on a fantasy table, plus this way you could stick to standard monster base size.

Devil-Dice

giner
22-04-2008, 20:47
If you do it right it should look good, just don't rush it. lso on the size thing you could use it as a Greater Daemon of either Nurgle or Slaanesh.

TheDarkDuke
23-04-2008, 01:36
theres numerous problems with using it. it has no base size at all so how can you tell where is flank is? and the fact it can't even remotely fit onto a 40x40 base of a daemon prince and for that matter wont even fit on a greater daemon 50x50 base.

personally i would avoid doing this. but its your army....