PDA

View Full Version : Fire Angels Query

JayeL
22-04-2008, 16:11
Hi all, I was looking for fluff from the Badad War when I came across the list of marine chapters on Wikipedia and saw this entry for the Fire Angels

Fire Angels

This chapter wears white with red trim, and displays a red cross bottony as their symbol. They fought in the Badab War and in the Battle of Sagan's Moon. Now turned excommunicate traitoris through inquisitorial corrupt trials.

Does anyone have any info on the last bit re: being declared excommunicate traitoris?

Any and all info appreciated.

John.

Leftenant Gashrog
22-04-2008, 17:27
Thats the first I've heard of them being excommunicated, my gut reaction is to assume someone got them mixed up with the Angels of Flame - especially given the garbled wordage of the relevant sentence.

The SkaerKrow
22-04-2008, 18:30
Fire Angels (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Fire_Angels)

Angels of Flame (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Angels_of_Flame)

Not the most exhaustive of resources, but they do appear to be two different entities. Neither of them seem to have been declared Excommunicate Traitoris (though the Angels of Flame are Chaos aligned). Were you perhaps thinking of the Flame Falcons (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Flame_Falcons)?

Lord Damocles
22-04-2008, 18:44
Just to mix things up even more, we also have the 'Angels of Fire' (red armour). They don't seem to be excommunicatus either...

Pacific
23-04-2008, 08:17
Hey thats a great coincidence, was happening to have just read the white dwarf (101) which originally featured the Badab war when I noticed this post..

First of all, IMO wikipedia is incorrect with this one. There is no mention at all of the 'Fire Angels' in the original article, although they do have several colour schemes printed in diagrams (perhaps the names were confused at a later date?).

There are two colour patterns (bearing in mind the conception of the marines during this time was more of a shock-troop, 'sardakur' type chemically enhanced psycho, rather than what we have today)

First and basic chapter colour is white armour, with red trim on shoulders and on the edges of the knee pads. There is a red stripe running vertically down the centre of the helmet. The chapter symbol is a red cross.. kind of like the type you would find in a church.

Second armour colour (it says here its from the Battle of Sagan's moon, and is 'drop troop camouflage') is a very dark charcoal grey, almost but not quite black, with a flame/lave pattern coming up the legs, and also on the right shoulder pad. Once again there is the red cross on the shoulder pad, this time inside a white circle.

Im not sure if anyone is aware, am allowed I could take a photo of the drawing and post it here? The magazine is from may 1988, over 20 years old now so im not sure if it still covered by laws (or in any case if anyone would even care!)

As I have said there is no mention at all of the Fire Angels.. The Fire Hawks did not support The Tyrant and the Tiger Claws during the uprising .. only the Mantis Legion, Executioners and Lamenters did (and even these were not excommunicated, they only had to forfeit their homeworlds and take part in a hundred year crusade as penance).. Only the Tiger Claws, who were all but destroyed fleeing to the eye of terror, were deemed traitors.

JayeL
23-04-2008, 09:04
Thanks guys, I have been into 40k since RT days and hadn't heard this before. I was going to paint one of my Deathwatch members with a Fire Angels shoulder badge and then I saw that in Wiki and was beginning to wonder.

@ Pacific, thanks I have that infon on the Badab War in the Rogue Trader Compendium in the house. I know the colour schemes etc. it was just the excommunicate bit I had never heard of before. Thanks anyway.

John.

Patriarch
23-04-2008, 11:10
I thought the Fire Angels were presumed to have become the Legion of the Damned (WD99)? Or am I thinking of the Fire Hawks?

IIRC the chapter symbol was a blazing cross, which was a bit risque given its real life connotations

JayeL
23-04-2008, 11:54
I thought the Fire Angels were presumed to have become the Legion of the Damned (WD99)? Or am I thinking of the Fire Hawks?

IIRC the chapter symbol was a blazing cross, which was a bit risque given its real life connotations

The Fire Hawks became the Legion Of The Damned and the Fire Angels symbol doesn't have any flames, just a red cross.

Müller
23-04-2008, 13:02
Im not sure if anyone is aware, am allowed I could take a photo of the drawing and post it here? The magazine is from may 1988, over 20 years old now so im not sure if it still covered by laws (or in any case if anyone would even care!)

Not to be that guy, but seeing as I turn 20 in 4 days and I'm born in 1988 I KNOW for a fact that it's not older than 20 years :D:p:angel:

Leftenant Gashrog
23-04-2008, 13:08
There is no mention at all of the 'Fire Angels' in the original article, although they do have several colour schemes printed in diagrams (perhaps the names were confused at a later date?).

As I have said there is no mention at all of the Fire Angels.. .

Um.. 5th Paragraph, Line 10, between Exorcists and Salamanders..

The magazine is from may 1988, over 20 years old now so im not sure if it still covered by laws

According to the British Governments Intellectual Property Office website copyright for paintings/drawings is the life of the original author plus 70 years, so yes its still covered.

Fire Angels symbol doesn't have any flames, just a red cross. at least on the example marines shoulderpad, the example banner however does have a flaming cross

Pacific
23-04-2008, 13:10
Doh. that means Ill be 79 before Im allowed to post it on this forum. Ah well, they are good diagrams it will be worth the wait :cheese:

Patriarch
24-04-2008, 12:38
According to the British Governments Intellectual Property Office website copyright for paintings/drawings is the life of the original author plus 70 years, so yes its still covered.

Up to a point - it's not like anyone is expecting to be paid for this. Otherwise by extension most of the Avatars on this site (including mine) cannot be shown, in fact most of the minatures and paintings, nor in theory could we discuss terms like "Space Marine".

It all depends on the usage of the IP. Of course, Warseer may have its own rules. But if a 20 year old pic to help enlightenment is breaking the rules, so are lots of other things on Warseer. Just PM a Mod about it.

Not to be that guy, but seeing as I turn 20 in 4 days and I'm born in 1988 I KNOW for a fact that it's not older than 20 years
Great, another smartarse 20 year old! ;)
Though to be pedantic, the May 1988 WD will have been published in April 1988; given it is April 2008, "over 20 years old" could be accurate.

Bloomin' kids....:D

Koryphaus
25-04-2008, 09:51
Though to be pedantic, the May 1988 WD will have been published in April 1988; given it is April 2008, "over 20 years old" could be accurate.

And written several months before that!:D

Pacific
28-04-2008, 22:23
Ok I'll post the pic tomorrow when I have time, if it gets taken off it gets taken off.