20-04-2005, 19:26
New Wood Elf mage from UK WD305

http://home.tiscali.nl/depunt/pics/we_mage.jpg

or

http://home.tiscali.nl/depunt/pics/we_mage.jpg

cardbard_alex
20-04-2005, 19:37
one word : WOW :eek:

and some more: I think that it look absolutely great, it continues the style of the new elven mages, of them casting magic and not standing on the floor (too dirty). Perhaps her hair could be a little less wild, but it looks very promising.

Cheers,
Alex

Lostanddamned
20-04-2005, 19:41
looks like one of the living trees form the new series of dr who, can't decide if this is a good or bad thing.

rkunisch
20-04-2005, 19:42
Not bad at all. I also like the new style of mages casting magic. I think it started with the Warmaster range and now comes to WFB as well. I really look forward for the time when they focus again on Dark Elves...

Have fun,

Rolf.

m1s1n
20-04-2005, 19:44
That is really impressive. I think the arms look a little stiff, but I love the model. I wonder how well it balances?

Oh--and what's that little thing with the arm down at the base?

Lord Setra
20-04-2005, 19:51
Sweet jesus mother of god.

That thing is amazing

Narandil
20-04-2005, 19:53
wow! amazing uk WD?

Angelus1
20-04-2005, 20:14
I think I stared at that page for a full five minutes, drooling all the time, before I remembered to wipe my mouth

Slyracoon
20-04-2005, 20:14
Now that is an excellent model. I liked the idea behind the flying mages when the HE one was released, but I don't think they pulled it off properly. Here, though, they really nailed it. Bodes well for the rest of the WE range...

GateSeven
20-04-2005, 20:16
I can appreciate it as a good model, but I don't think it fits in with the new 'dark sinister' feel to the welfs, s'good all the same though...

Akuma
20-04-2005, 20:25
But the model doesn't have boobs :D - Ehh I'll just use green stuff ;)

Cypher
20-04-2005, 20:27
It very much reminds me of the "dark Galadriel" from FotR. Its a fantastic model, cant wait to see it painted.

Lostanddamned
20-04-2005, 20:55
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/02gallery/800/08.jpg
here is a photo to back up my Dr Who characher theory

milktoast
20-04-2005, 21:16
Absolutely stunning model... The only complain I can think of is that the wrists don't really catch the pose from the picture... but still!

Major Thom
20-04-2005, 21:26
Over all the model is an A, But the hands are definitely missing the grace of the concept drawing.

It's definitely cool, would probably look great as a HE mage with a different paint scheme.

Brandir
20-04-2005, 21:36
Looks pretty impressive and could easily be converted to a Dark or High Elf.

Do we know who sculpted this beauty?

chivalrous
20-04-2005, 21:46
I don't have the funds to collect yet another army but that model is likely to find a place with my Bretonnians.

Sgt John Keel
20-04-2005, 21:52
Wo-oo. Gorgeous. Seems that I will never collect anything else than Elf armies. And I'm not sad about it either.

/Adrian

Anthonius
20-04-2005, 22:11
I'm very much reminded of the drawing for the fay enchantress in the bret book...

though I probably won't bethe only one :D

portentjunkie
20-04-2005, 22:34
That is really impressive. I think the arms look a little stiff, but I love the model. I wonder how well it balances?

Oh--and what's that little thing with the arm down at the base?

The little guys on the base are spites. Think of the fairy version of gnoblars, wood elf characters will be able to buy them as upgrades in a somewhat similar manner.

Dargon
21-04-2005, 03:08
Magnificent! There aren't many models that make me go "Wow", but this is definately something special :D .

I agree with the critisms about the hands, and I think the "flying drapes" will make using the model for conversions somewhat difficult (but then most joined capes do)... but any flaws are only very slight ones.

The fact that we now have another female model to match the grace of the old Bretonnian damsels is a serious plus. GW have usually never been very good at female figures - this is a serious exception, and a very welcome one.

I can't wait to see this one painted. I also can't wait to see how these new "flying" mage models look amid a fully ranked unit. Should be impressive on both counts.

Four thumbs up (in light of my new devotion to Slaanesh for this model) :D

Just a thought...

adreal
21-04-2005, 03:18
well i just have to wait a little longer ofr my archmage, cant wait for that model, I'll probs end up buying two, one for mny high elves, one for my woodelves (which ill get eventually)

looks way better then beehive hair of old ;)

Malachi
21-04-2005, 06:04
Doesn't need to be said again, but I'll say it anyway: awesome model, very exciting!

Now, a quick question for anyone blessed enough to live in a country with a decent White Dwarf:

That pic looks like it's from either a two page spread, or at the very least, is a small part of a larger article, I'm guessing this based on the apparent title 'The Wild' and the text on the left of the pic. So could anyone who's got the U.K WD please give us the scoop. Are there any more pics and what does the text say?

Frecus
21-04-2005, 07:10
@ Malachi, this is the only pic. The rest of the page is just a rundown of how the WE army will be. Nothing really new, at least for anyone who reads the rumours, as there are no true specifics.

But I'm excited! All I gotta do now is try to get another €60-70 to buy the army deal!

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Drabant
21-04-2005, 07:53
I'm guessing this based on the apparent title 'The Wild' and the text on the left of the pic.

I thought the full title was "Elves gone Wild" :(

Jedi152
21-04-2005, 08:39
oh my good lord ... that is amazing!

blackadder, i think i love you for posting that - its made my day! I think thats sealed the deal, its WE for me come august.

Is it me or would it make a good banshee too?

Avian
21-04-2005, 10:05
While I think the model is excellent, I don't like the new theme of having wizards that look awkward in a regiment. This model (along with two of the three new HE mages) only really looks good on it's own (well, the HE ones don't really look good, to be honest).

Scythe
21-04-2005, 12:35
Very nice model indeed. Can't wait to see the rest of the wood elf range. Might even start a new army if this continues.

For using it in a regiment, I don't think WE will have many ranked regiments, so it's not a great concern of mine.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-04-2005, 12:42
i like it, i am seriously tempted to do woodsies now, but im gonna wait to look at the book to see if the changes are good and to see the complete range

Captain Morgan
21-04-2005, 14:43
The more you see the more you want to be them pointy eared lumberjacks... well, saving for the army (might even be the deal) will start right now.

Etienne de Beaugard
21-04-2005, 23:57
Very nive miniature. It almost makes me want to collect a 2nd army. Unfortunately, I swore not to start another force until I have finished painting my Bretonnians. Still, I'm very happy for the Wood Elf players out there. Your long wait looks to be well rewarded.

Lady Melisandre
22-04-2005, 05:53
Oh my oh my oh my... now THAT'S my idea of a mage, swathed in the winds of magic. (Mages should stand out, IMHO.) Makes the new HE mages look a bit dull.

I really hope I don't like the army book when I read it, otherwise I'll be starting a new army (sigh).

Gop
22-04-2005, 14:46
Sigh, know what you mean Lady M. That model is a beauty. I have a bad feeling that I'll be selling 1 of my 2 armies to start WE's depending on the book... :rolleyes:

Thalys
22-04-2005, 15:55
Well, i haven't found this new Glade Guard Pic here anywhere, so o thought i should post it. I did not want to start a new thread, so here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/jullevi/preview/gladeguard.jpg

Have Phun...

Galonthar
22-04-2005, 17:44
hmm....
about the mage,..
I think I`ve fallen in love at last :D

and about the glade guardian,...
after seing such a beauty,... that thing is well....
boring(but that`s only when compared to the mage :P)

is it me, or has the cloak changed into some XXL-leafy things??

Odin
22-04-2005, 17:46
Yep, just saw that one on Dakka. Looks much better that the earlier pictures, though I'd prefer to see a bit more texture on the material - looks a bit too silky to me. Still, I think I'll have to get Welvises, providing the usual ratio of plastics quality:metals quality remains the same as usual.

Already working out an army list based on what I know so far. Some difficult choices to make, but they're looking effective and interesting, and more close range than before (especially with S4 shooting at short range!).

Scythe
22-04-2005, 18:21
That Glade Guardian looks very good, altough I'm a bit worried about the way the model is posed. A lot of plastic sets lately really limit the pose to a few basic shapes which makes for rather dull regiments and a limited conversion possibility. And looking at the arms and cloak, it seens that this model is largely one piece as well.

Lion El Jason
22-04-2005, 19:03
Local stor manager says the above glade guardian is an 11 piece model...

He counted mentally twice and has the sprues himself so I'd belive him but I really cant see where 11 pieces come in:
1 Torso
2 Arms
1 Legs
1 Quiver
1 Head
1 Cloak
Base??
Maybe legs are separate?
Dunno...

Galonthar
22-04-2005, 19:11
maybe some meelee weapon?

Sir Charles
22-04-2005, 19:31

He counted mentally twice and has the sprues himself so I'd belive him but I really cant see where 11 pieces come in:
1 Torso
2 Arms
1 Legs
1 Quiver
1 Head
1 Cloak
Base??
Maybe legs are separate?
Dunno...
I think I heard earlier on another thread that either the clothes or he cloakes layered effect comes from there being two pieces placed on top of each other cant remember which though. :(

Chosen Farseer
23-04-2005, 06:13
Hmm, I've got the German WD and there is also a drawing of the model and at the top stands this:

"Ariel Everqueen of Loren"

Hmm...

Greetings, CF

sulla
23-04-2005, 08:45
Mmmmmm. Dark Elf sorceress with dark sprites methinks...(I was never a fan of the S&M ones)

Scythe
23-04-2005, 11:09

1 Torso
2 Arms
1 Legs
1 Quiver
1 Head
1 Cloak
Base??
Maybe legs are separate?
Dunno...

Sounds very promising. I'm just really hoping for some decent multi-part and multi-pose fantasy models again. Anyway, if this is true, the set should be very nice indeed.

risK
23-04-2005, 11:17
2 parts cloak
1 dagger?
1 base is definately counted in
1 ??? (maybe a 3rd cloak part)

The boyz
28-04-2005, 10:58
That minature looks awesome

Lady Melisandre
10-05-2005, 08:21
Hmm, I've got the German WD and there is also a drawing of the model and at the top stands this:

"Ariel Everqueen of Loren"

Hmm...

Greetings, CF

Yeah, saw the same thing in the Oz WD. Several posters on Portent (our beloved previous version) said that there would be a model of Oberon but not Ariel, as she was "too powerful for gameplay" (quoting from memory).

I'm guessing that they've used the early concept art for Ariel for a generic WE mage model (if that model could be considered generic!)

Persephone
10-05-2005, 21:29
Awesome. Great new look for GW models.

11-05-2005, 06:41
The arms, wrists and hands are the only critisisms I (and everyone else it seems) have with the mage. However, they are big in my opinion, and I hope they are fixed, because they are the only thing stopping this model from being............right is the only word. Impressive, and potentially a dominant figure in the upcoming Golden D.

Galonthar
11-05-2005, 10:35
hmm....

yeah, the hands etc. are kinda disturbing the "perfect" of the rest of the model,
if GW could just place a staff / wand or something like that in those hands,...:D

11-05-2005, 15:13
The hands look like they are meant to be holding something, I think. Thats why they look wrong.

Avian
11-05-2005, 15:41

Actually, that one is:
-Head
-Torso with both arms moulded on (there is also versions with 1 or no arms)
-Legs
-Cloak with quiver

Riddy
11-05-2005, 18:32
I have been waiting over 2 years for the new woodelf book, although I have always wanted to do a wood elf army i never did so as i knew the book would be coming soon and so i have waited and waited and finally its nearly here, thank god i did wait, they look beautiful.

Brandir
11-05-2005, 18:46
Don't know if this info has been posted before, but the Wood Elf army box set will contain:

32 Glade Guard (Plastic)
16 Dryads (Plastic)
8 Glade Riders (Plastic)
3 Warhawk Riders
6 Wardancers
Hero
Mage
Limited Edition Battle Standard Bearer
Armybook

Apparently £150 and released in Jul in the UK.

boogle
16-05-2005, 21:10
this has to be a very poor army deal:
32 Glade Guard (Plastic) £36
16 Dryads (Plastic) £18
8 Glade Riders (Plastic) £18
3 Warhawk Riders £18
6 Wardancers £12
Hero £6
Mage (i would imagine there will be 2 in there) £8-9
Limited Edition Battle Standard Bearer £6
Armybook £12

if these are going to be the prices, then its only going to come to £135, so i would imagine thet either:
the warhawk riders are bigger and more expensive or we'll see a Treeman in there

Brandir
16-05-2005, 21:17
Boogle, you are right. It doesn't add up. The list I was provided with was from a usually reliable source. But hey, it is only a rumour!!!!

boogle
16-05-2005, 21:50
yeah it would seem that its nearly complete, but even with a Treeman it seems a bit uninspiring to me

Drabant
16-05-2005, 23:29
Are you sure the prise is reliable then? I think I heard someone saying that the WE army deal would be cheaper than usual.

Scythe
17-05-2005, 08:28
Just a detail, but could it be that dryads will be in boxes of 8? I don't know for sure, but 16 seens quite a lot for those rather large models.

Jedi152
17-05-2005, 09:07
Just a detail, but could it be that dryads will be in boxes of 8? I don't know for sure, but 16 seens quite a lot for those rather large models.

Probably more like 12 than 8 - the same as the chaos warriors, which are large plastics. The dryads don't seem all that large though - they are tall, but they are spindly, and probably have the same amount of plastic as a normal soldier.

Rövhalt
17-05-2005, 09:09
No, don't say that. It's a horrible thougt. They WILL come in boxes of 16. Yep the 'ol number sixteen...

Zeb
17-05-2005, 09:11
Boogle, you are right. It doesn't add up. The list I was provided with was from a usually reliable source. But hey, it is only a rumour!!!!

Nice to know I'm considered reliable...! ;) and the info was posted here first, but in the other WE thread.

It's what my store manager told me, I asked him to call GW and ask since I'm considering getting two boxes, now it seems that I will get one army and one battilion.

There wont be a monster in there. It hasn't been a monster in any of the other deals, GW isn't going to change that. I was supprised to not see any treekins in there, though. And no other armydeal has gotten four characters, so my bet it won't be that many there as well.

And wasn't £135 was the first boxes costed? IIRC that is what I paied for the Druchii deal.

Scythe
17-05-2005, 09:36
No, don't say that. It's a horrible thougt. They WILL come in boxes of 16. Yep the 'ol number sixteen...

Ask yourself this question; is it something gw would do?

;)

Jedi152
17-05-2005, 09:53
Speaking of army deals, has anyone else noticed that GW has stopped doing them - even the recent ogre one? The only ones i could find on the website were the Middenheim defenders and the new tyranid one.

I thought they were a permanent thing - evidently not!

Scythe
17-05-2005, 10:00
Hmm never really noticed but at our local stores, the army deals where always only available for a limited amount of time (usually until they run out of stock after the first month or so).

boogle
17-05-2005, 16:34
The reason Dryads would most likely be in a box of 16 is they are now a core unit, so that would mean that 8 just wouldn't fit

RE the army deal £135 may be a correct price, but the last couple of army deals have been £150 (40K ones at least, not sure about the WFB ones)

Scythe
18-05-2005, 09:58
So Dryads may acctually be a bargain? Hmmm.... strange..... ;)

Avian
18-05-2005, 12:44
I have a feeling they'll rather be 12, to be honest. GW could get away with it, so I bet that's what they'll do...

Odin
18-05-2005, 15:35
Well, several rumours seem to suggest that there will be 16 Dryads in the Army Box, so perhaps it is 16. Of course they could just add an extra sprue (which I believe they have done before. But 16 seems like a good size unit (from the rumours it should be about 200 points for a unit of 16). Here's hoping...

Avian
19-05-2005, 11:15
What goes into the army box doesn't really mean anything. There was a big confusion earlier this year, because the Ogre army box contained 8 ogres whereas you get 6 in a box. Battalion boxes are usually (but not always) a better clue.

thanquol
27-05-2005, 15:58
I really think that mage can wear a little more clothes! Furthermore, her hands look crippled. but for the largest part, this model is way to ubercool

malisteen
09-06-2005, 01:39
The arms (including wrists and hands) look wrong. Also, the breasts are too high, a common problem in GW female models. Note how the model's breasts are even with her sholders. They should instead be lower then her sholders, even with the arms raised as they are. For easy reference, look at the concept art next to her. See? Breasts lower then sholders. Even with these complaints, however, that is a great model.

side note 1) that glade guard is not 11 pieces. It is 5: base, legs, torso & arms (one piece), cloak, & head. Look at the glade guard sprue in the picture compilation post, and you'll see that some of the torsos come with arms attatched and some do not. Overall the sprue looks pretty good, as there are a number of little extras, and it clearly has more parts then you need for the 4 archers it makes, but it still looks like there is some risk of archer units being somewhat static. Still, they're a far cry better then the diminutive chorus line plastic archers WE currently have to work with.

side note 2) dryads are confirmed in boxes of 12. I don't know why anyone is shocked. Besides, 12 is about as big as you'd want units of them anyway.

blitz589
09-06-2005, 01:46
those look pretty sweet, it reminds me of another model though