PDA

View Full Version : Daemonhunters - Sanctuary + Mystics

Lostanddamned
23-04-2008, 00:00
As far as I can tell, the "sanctuary" psyker power means that no daamon may come within 3" of the caster, and cannot draw a line of sight through that area, agains chaos daemons, this makes the caster "unkillable" for a turn...

2 Mystics allow a unit within 12" of the Inquisitor to shoot at a nearby deepstriking/summoned unit, and always counting as stationary

As you can get an Inquisitor ready to do this for around 50pts, and add a squad of 5 Grey Knights with Psycannons/Incinerators for around 350pts, is it just me or is this the ultimate way to deal damage to a Chaos Daemon army, as its 1st turn deep strike becomes a dropsite massacre?

Or am I a little optimistic in the capabilities of 3 of such units...

Varath- Lord Impaler
23-04-2008, 00:48
Yowtch, that would be quite nasty, actually...good find.

Chem-Dog
23-04-2008, 02:10
The inquisitor can still be targetted by Daemonic "Shooting" of various descriptions, The flame template is more than 3" long, for example.
Also don't forget the Inquisitor gets Instadeath from any PotW attack he gets as he's only T3 and the hit is S6, could go horribly wrong on turn 1 and the dropsite masacre could be just that but not in the way you hoped.

I'd put my faith in an Inquisitor With Destroy Daemon carrying an Annointed Blade, Sacred Insense, Grimoir of true names accompanied by a handful of combat servitors and Accolytes.

Lostanddamned
23-04-2008, 07:31
The rest of my army is Grey Knights.

I have one of the "Inquisitor Scanners" 2 Grey Knight Squads, 2 Teleport Attack Squads, 2 Terminator Squads and a Dreadnaught with Twin Heavy Bolter and psycannon rounds and a 4 Psycannon Purgation squad

Other than shooting at things, the other "anti daemon" weapon is my Grand Master with Destroy Daemon and the Grimore of True Names - sadly there isn't quite room to chuck the sacred insence on him too, as that would make him a true nasty.

Patriarch
23-04-2008, 11:23
IIRC the Inquisitor casting the power isn't otherwise contributing to the battle, he can't move or shoot, though anyone else in the bubble can.

It's risky with an Elite Inquisitor (Ld 8 unless he has the +1 Ld follower) as he is likely to fail the psychic test over several turns, not something you want when the daemons are in charge range.

The Inq Lord or GK hero are more reliable, but then you are relying on the people with him to dish out some damage, and the Lord/Hero himself won't be any help. That's kind of a waste unless you've crammed the bubble with shooty troops.

An alternative against Daemon armies would be to send an Inquistor with Storm Trooper backup right on top of an objective. They then hold out for the entire game, with the STs taking any shooting damage, and claim the objective as the Daemons have no chance of dislodging them.

Are there any gifts in Codex Daemons which disrupt enemy psychics?

kadun
23-04-2008, 13:31
The inquisitor can still be targetted by Daemonic "Shooting" of various descriptions, The flame template is more than 3" long, for example.

No they can't as demons can't draw line of sight through the area covered by Sanctuary, no demon can "see" and thus target anything in the area.

Check the "Daemonhunters vs the new Demons" thread in the tactics section, I've covered this somewhat in there.

Also note that you can fit a Dreadnought easily within the 3" of Sanctuary behind the Inquisitor and have plenty of room for his retinue and other units in front of him. With an Inquisitor mounted on a larger, Terminator base, I got 22 standard bases around him in the outer ring alone, with plenty of room to double that number inside.

Sanctuary is the best power vs the new Demon codex, your units become untouchable.

Joewrightgm
23-04-2008, 14:44
Yeah, Demon Hunters are totally not competitive againts demons :D

But my demons are definity going to be painting a big target on the back of any inquisitor on the table top.

Patriarch
24-04-2008, 12:42
No they can't as demons can't draw line of sight through the area covered by Sanctuary, no demon can "see" and thus target anything in the area.

Does a template weapon need full LOS? What if a stormtrooper or whatever is in the way - can you target him and...whoops! I hit that sphere of nothingness behind him as well!

IAMNOTHERE
24-04-2008, 15:17
Yes a template weapon does need line of sight especially for casualty removal purposes, ie in range and line of sight.

If they are silly enough to do that with only 1 guardsman then good luck getting the majority of casualties from that single guardsmans squad and still trying for the inquisitor.

kadun
24-04-2008, 16:09
Does a template weapon need full LOS? What if a stormtrooper or whatever is in the way - can you target him and...whoops! I hit that sphere of nothingness behind him as well!
I don't see how you are targeting ANYTHING within 3" of the Inquisitor. The ENTIRE area 3" around the Inquisitor blocks line of sight, and as I said earlier, I would estimate you can fit 40 standard models within 3" of an model w/ Sanctuary on a Terminator base.

Now if the Sanctuary player mistakenly put a model just outside the 3" Sanctuary zone, sure you can target that model with a template, but I typically don't count on my opponent making idiotic mistakes.