PDA

View Full Version : Necron Tomb Worlds

Ordo Malleus
23-04-2008, 00:13
Hello,

I tried the search function for this, but I couldn't seem to find any results...

Basically, I want to know if all Necron Tomb Worlds are "dead". Are they able to support life, and would they be colonised by the Imperium?

I'm aware that the world Pavonis in the Nightbringer novel was populated, but after reading it, I'm still unsure as to whether the planet was a Tomb World, and contained uncounted numbers of Necrons? I assume that it probably would, otherwise why on earth would the Nightbringer himself be buried there?

But anyway, I'm trying to create a DIY chapter, and was wondering if it would be appropriate to have their homeworld as a Necron Tomb World?

Thanks

Ordo Malleus

Khaine's Messenger
23-04-2008, 01:04
Basically, I want to know if all Necron Tomb Worlds are "dead". Are they able to support life, and would they be colonised by the Imperium?

The Necrons have tomb-complexes on many habitable and barely habitable worlds; whether this makes them "tomb worlds" as such may be more dependent on the Imperium's preference for classification (or the Necrons'...). For example, Armageddon had a reasonable Necron presence, and Pavonis is quite obviously habitable. Worlds like Mars and Medusa likewise, although they took some effort and the initial populations took quite a beating from establishing footholds in the more hostile regions. There are plenty of tropical forests and marshlands hiding ancient Necrontyr fortresses scattered throughout the galaxy. But again, whether they qualify as tombworlds...eh? Personally, I think that enough terraforming efforts have probably gone on in sixty five million years to justify a few "lush" tomb worlds. But that's me.

But anyway, I'm trying to create a DIY chapter, and was wondering if it would be appropriate to have their homeworld as a Necron Tomb World?

Appropriate? I don't think so, personally. From a broad, thematic perspective, it seems unwise to burden a location with too many galactic factions when it's likely to be a backwater unless one of them is downplayed or only hinted at. Even the Necrons theorized by fans to be buried on Medusa aren't made much of, and the Iron Hands certainly never talk about them as if they're Necrons. But then, maybe I'm still in backlash from when my own DIY chapter's homeworld was a hive world in the same system as a tomb world, an Eldar maiden world, a demi-forgeworld, and an ork-infested asteroid belt. :p

Archangel_Ruined
23-04-2008, 10:44
Angelis was a lush tomb world before the orks crash landed on it. I think you can produce fluff like that, but I'd second the warning to avoid too much going on in your homeworld, it just gets a bit messy.

Mechanicus
23-04-2008, 16:31
Angelis was a lush tomb world before the orks crash landed on it.I don't think so - everything I've read says it was desert before and after. But it is possible for life to regrow, like Khaine's Messenger said, and it might well be that some outposts weren't scoured.

Faustburg
23-04-2008, 16:49
The choice of Tomb Worlds was really made from two criteria, 65 million years ago:

Not connected to the Webway built by the Old Ones and used by Eldar and others to wage war against the Necrontyr.
No sapient, and ideally no higher than insect and small critters, life forms for the Enslavers to possess and create their portals from.

So, off the beaten path desert worlds seems to fit the bill best, but as was said, it has been 65 million years, various alien civilisations, and finally humans during the Dark Age of Technology, can have terraformed the world several times over since the Necrons went to sleep.

Even if it is not said outright in black and white, it is pretty safe to assume that the "Silver wyrm" the Iron Hands Primarch defeated was some sort of Living Metal beast of Necrontyr origin, although it doesn't have to mean there is a whole Tomb city on Medusa, it could just have been an outpost, or simply an ancient weapon left there during the war between the C'tan/Necrontyr and the Old Ones.

Idaan
23-04-2008, 20:45
Well, Medusa V, Lorn V and Kronus were Tomb Worlds as well as connected to the Webway, but it's because of the stupid reasoning to put all the playable races on one planet. Makes no big sense.

Kaoslord
24-04-2008, 10:49
Kronus was not connected to the webway. Taldeer had to bring her ship into the system and gate down from there. It was also never firmly established that Lorn V was actually a tomb world... It just happened to be a spot where the Necrons showed up. I think the Farseer had forseen them attempting to breech the webway from there..

As for Medusa being a Tomb World.... Well, there's no accounting for taste lol. :eek:

Ordo Malleus
24-04-2008, 11:40
Perhaps I should have been more clear when I said that I wanted my DIY SM chapter's homeworld to be a tomb world. I was thinking along the lines that they never knew that it was a tomb world, until one day the Necrons wake up and kill just about everything on the planet, including 90% of the SM chapter, forcing the survivors to abandon their world and nuke it to high heaven.

I didn't mean that I wanted my SM living on a world known to have Necrons on it, fighitng running battles with them, but living there all the same...that'd be silly (Says the grown man who plays with plastic figurines...)

Cheers

Faustburg
24-04-2008, 13:11
Could be a cool idea.

Up the causalities a few % more and have your actual army on the table really be all that is left of the chapter. Would make for a nice, desperate and doomed back-story.