PDA

View Full Version : Codex Comparisons

Kabal of The Ordo Mallius
23-04-2008, 01:49
I was looking through my new Vampire Counts Codex and reading up on the bound spells from items. Most can be cast more than once, cost 30+ points, and are prone to being exhausted on a roll of one. Now, I was also looking through the Lizardmen Codex and realized that most of their bound spells are more expensive, and are a pathetic "one use only". Is this "one use only" vs. "exhausts on a one" a new trend in codex's? Just curious.

theunwantedbeing
23-04-2008, 01:54
It's not a codex.....
New books tend to have better items than older books.

Dont compare things item by item, you'll think things arent balanced.
Look at the army as a whole (very extensive, easier to just assume things are balanced and get on with your life)

javaguru
23-04-2008, 01:55
You're going to get killed for calling it a codex, it's an army book. That being said, totally different lists. A 2nd generation Slann doesn't need to draw out a couple single dispel dice to dominate the magic phase. The fact VC can re-cast some of their spells also means the 1 in 6 chance of it not working was included, IMHO.

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-04-2008, 03:29
The only 'bound item' I ever see in Lizard lists is the Hunachi Banner and that's not a bound spell at all. It is however a potential game-winner, and even if it is one-use only it's virtually a no-brainer item.

TheDarkDuke
23-04-2008, 03:33
Nothing new, the 6th ed HE and the 7th ed HE Army Book both had Bound Spells that had the done on a roll of a one. A lot of the one use only items are becoming more powerful as they are one use, while the one use items are also reduced in numbers as a trend in the newer army books.

someone2040
23-04-2008, 05:25
Well it's commonly known that the Lizardmen bound items are crap. Lizardmen got pretty shafted in that area. Most armies have better bound spells that are either exhaust, or keep going. The problem with Lizardmen one-use only items, are they could be good, but since they rely on luck of the dice so much, it generally isn't worth it. Just the direction the took with Lizardmen bounds i guess.