PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a fan of the new Space Marine Sculpts

jason_sation
23-04-2008, 11:05
I recieved an email advertisement that said "Dueling Space Marines" from thinkgeek.com. (An online store). Intrigued I clicked on the link:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/rc/a377/?cpg=71H

I think GW might need to rethink their new Marine models. :)

Grimtuff
23-04-2008, 11:09
Impressive. Ripping off not one, but two franchises in a single fig..... :p

Templar Ben
23-04-2008, 11:19
I know Halo has Covenant. What was the other franchise?

Grimtuff
23-04-2008, 11:25
The green one blatantly looks like Master Chief, and they're called Space Marines, which as generic as it may sound is in fact a trademark of GW. ;)

battle captain corpus
23-04-2008, 11:51
Hahaha! Be interesting to see if GW IP law even was bothered by this! They do seem to be playing on the background etc a little but I doubt they'll be that bothered.
Nice jump packs though!

DarthSte
23-04-2008, 12:02
The green one blatantly looks like Master Chief, and they're called Space Marines, which as generic as it may sound is in fact a trademark of GW. ;)

I thought they couldn't register the trademarked Space Marines... As it was used by Robert Heinlein first...

Neknoh
23-04-2008, 12:10
Indeed, they appear to be ripping off Halo, Aliens, 40k and Star Wars:

Halo - Spartan design
Aliens - the Marines can (paraphrasing) "take on even Queens without the aid of lifters ala ripley"
Starwars - they have "Blasters"
40k - Space Marines (rather than colonial marines)

¤sniffs air¤ is that a host of lawsuits I smell?

x-esiv-4c
23-04-2008, 12:10
Perfect models to use for jump troops....

AfroCelt
23-04-2008, 12:43
heh clever use of a hobby file and some bitz and I'll have three brand new deffkoptas!

/don't you love orky scrounging?

Templar Ben
23-04-2008, 13:41
I thought they couldn't register the trademarked Space Marines... As it was used by Robert Heinlein first...

My understanding was Space Marine was too generic to be copyright protected. Then again GW claims to have rights to the letters G and W and the Maltese cross.

Thud
23-04-2008, 14:05
My understanding was Space Marine was too generic to be copyright protected. Then again GW claims to have rights to the letters G and W and the Maltese cross.

They also claim to have the copyright for the term "Salamanders", so what GW claims on copyright and what sticks up in a lawsuit certainly do seem to be things inhabiting completely different universes. ;)

Leftenant Gashrog
23-04-2008, 14:56
Claiming copyright and having that claim upheld in court are two separate things.

Faustburg
23-04-2008, 15:37
There is a widespread lack of understanding of how trademarks and copyrights work here...

GW trademarking "Salamanders" doesn't mean you are breaching their IP rights by putting a sign in the window of your pet shop announcing sales of newts, or that a manufacturer of cars can't market "the 2009 Toyota Salamander"...

It is very situational, meaning that you cannot, in a game, comic or movie have an order of "Space Marines" called the "salamanders", and things of that nature.

Same with the letter 'G' and 'W' together... "Georgie's Wheels" selling custom mag caps can have a large sign with that as their logo (unless the design is too close in font and in the yellow and red of Game Workshop), but if you start publishing your own games under the brand "Game World", you cannot abbreviate it to GW.

Pacific
23-04-2008, 17:29
Yes, I have heard that GW is going to have withdraw all Space Marines from sale because of lawsuit regarding too-good-for-the-cinema 90's sci-fi classic 'Space Marine', starring Cady Huffman of Itty Bitty Titty fame

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Pacific81/MV5BMTQwNTE5MDAzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

PondaNagura
23-04-2008, 17:39
hmm, i wonder what the product is actually called, since this article is written by someone already knowledgeable about the sci-fi genre.

they look like classic space-men space suits with updated colors, and camera "blasters"

edit: that was a terrible movie

Rykion
23-04-2008, 19:39
I don't get it. Except the name Space Marine the toys are basically completely generic astronauts with guns and a copter back. These are nothing like Halo, Star Wars, Aliens, or 40k. The only thing that can get them in trouble is the product's name.

Luisjoey
23-04-2008, 19:54
jeje funny toy!

This guys evolve space marines better than jumpacks!

Ilmarinen
23-04-2008, 20:38
heh clever use of a hobby file and some bitz and I'll have three brand new deffkoptas!

/don't you love orky scrounging?
Heh, real deffkoptas! That would be a weird sight above a 40K table.

hucklongfin
23-04-2008, 20:50
I thought GW was Grady White!