PDA

View Full Version : Painter Tips

Kabal of The Ordo Mallius
23-04-2008, 15:10
My bad if I posted in wrong forum. Anyways, anybody know a good website that has painting guides? I don't consider myself a good painter and I want my VC army to look professional. Any website links would be great.

soulcrusher
23-04-2008, 15:18
mallius i have just finished my VC and they are seriously easy! to paint

skeletons : scorched brown , drybrush bone with bleached bone and then a bit of mechite red or purple for the robes. use boltgun metal on the spears and metal parts and ink them. also lightly ink the bone too!

tips: a great tip is to add bits of moddeling sand to skeletons and dire wolves to make them look more like they have come out the ground

Kabal of The Ordo Mallius
23-04-2008, 15:26
I realize they are fairly easy to paint. But as a crappy painter I need to know every step lest I screw up! From basing to final touches I need it all. I really want a nice-looking army. So far I've got everything primed black, and based with sand. Basicaly I need a guide to painting:
-Skeletons (bones)
-Ghouls (flesh painting)
-Wolves and Varghaulf (furr)
-Grave Guard (armour and cloth)
-Corpse Cart (wood and corpse colours)
-Inking, Highlights etc...

redrum
23-04-2008, 15:48
Try the GW website, they have a couple of step by step painting guides for the new Skeletons and I think Ghouls is the other one. You also might want to check the painting section on this website, usually some pretty good tips in there.

BloodiedSword
23-04-2008, 15:54
To be honest I'd suggest just going with gut instinct at first and painting basic rank and file first. Experiment a bit and it will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Even better if you have old models you don't need to test on, but if not just chuck them into the back ranks or say they're "mutated mouldy zombies" or something.

Thing is, if as you say you're not the best painter then it's unlikely you'll get a "professional looking" army just from following a guide.

IMO it is better to try things out for yourself - though of course ask your friends, gaming group, or if all else fails GW staff (:p) for tips as well.

Just from my experience - if you want skeletons to look good, don't drybrush them. In general drybrushing light colours like Bleached Bone, Skull White, yellows, etc does not work well at all. At best you will have to do a ton of coats, but more likely the paint will start to clump and produce a textured effect (especially Bleached Bone).

That said, drybrushing is still much much faster than layering, and drybrushing followed by careful inking followed by rehighlighting (NOT drybrushing) can often give a similar effect.

xragg
23-04-2008, 15:59
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/vampirecounts/painting/default.htm

Even though I typically paint stuff in a different style, it covers the VC units.

I personally hate GW's black primer. It leaves a sandy residue on the models and ruins much of the detail. I use a grey primer from Krylon and then wash my models black. The look is by far better then a black prime and allows me to paint stuff black by varying extra washes of black and look authentic (as black can be very hard to paint and not look like layers of grey). After the grey prime, black wash I paint...

skeletons/skulls: 1. Start with a darker brown wash over all the bone areas. This step can be skipped if you looking to get done fast, but a must if you are doing a special model. 2. Paint large bones like arms/legs an ancient white. Drybrush areas with more recesses the same color, like rib cages. Dont fill in the cracks, only the outer areas. 3. Wash all the bone in a light avocado color (a light greenish-grey color or just look at the fruit, lol). I never see other guides use this step, but it really ages the look of the bone. 4. Drybrush again over the bones in the same ancient white. 5. Drybrush/highlight one last time over the most visible areas with a lighter shade of ancient white, but I would hesitate using a pure white.

I dont know how enlightning that is without pictures, but it really is that simple. Wash, drybrush/paint, wash, drybrush, highlight

Also, to make a good wash, mix floorwax with water at a 1:4 ratio. The floorwax will keep the paint primarily in the recessed areas. I dont always use floorwax, it all depends on the look I am after. Floorwax makes the color in the cracks much more defined, and non-floorwax creates more of a stained look over the paint.

ghouls/etc: You can go crazy with your color scheme here, but I will use green/light brown for my example. 1. Mix an olive green with brush cleaner in a 2:1 ratio. Yes, I said brush cleaner! I did this once a long time ago by accident thinking it was paint thinner and loved the results. Paint all the skin areas with this mix. The mix will be very fluid and will fill in the cracks. 2. Drybrush the most of the skin area a color slighter lighter then the olive green, leaving the recesses and areas unders arms and such alone. Mixing some terra cotta with the green should give the desired color. 3. Then I use a really weak wash of red with the wax. With the wash being weak, it should dry more of a brownish-red color with the colors you have on already. The perfect dryed blood/scab look. 4. Finally, minimally drybrush the more exposed areas with the same olive/terra cotta mix to cover areas you didnt want the wash to go. Then highlight areas with a lighter olive/terra cotta mix by adding more terra cotta and a small touch of ancient white.

mav1971
23-04-2008, 18:10
mallius i have just finished my VC and they are seriously easy! to paint

skeletons : scorched brown , drybrush bone with bleached bone and then a bit of mechite red or purple for the robes. use boltgun metal on the spears and metal parts and ink them. also lightly ink the bone too!

tips: a great tip is to add bits of moddeling sand to skeletons and dire wolves to make them look more like they have come out the ground

I did my skeletons almost the same as you. Scorched brown, drybrush bleached bone, chestnut wash. Trying to give them an ancient look like in this pic.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/08/22/gallery/neanderthals_zoom.jpg

Spleendokta
23-04-2008, 23:40
Paint your back ranks first. Use those as your test models and by the time your at the front rank, the part most people tend to see, you got your block of troops done and looking good. :)

Peegore
24-04-2008, 08:31
Might be worth hanging on a short while for the new Ink Washes range.

From what I've gathered, if you painted your skellies in the lightest colour they will eventually be ( i.e Bleached bone/white ); the wash, when applied, creates a smoother transition of colour and shade from the deepest ( the wash colour ) to the highlight ( the base colour ).

The end result is supposed to be much more subtle and 'blended' than the current Ink range... and lets those who want to get an army such as undead painted up fast without it looking like a dog's dinner.

CaptScott
24-04-2008, 10:38
Just check the rest of the many warhammer related forums. Each have painting/modelling orientated sections (some more active than others) where heaps of advice can be found. Also try searching the old posts, I can guarantee you that you will find heaps.

As for tips, keep it neat and uncomplicated.