PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts of VC fun

Darkangeldentist
24-04-2008, 04:12
A little army I've been having a little play with. Any advice, comments of feedback appreciated.

Vampire with dark acolyte, lord of the dead, helm of command and black periapt.

Necromancer with extra spell (invocation + vanhel) and book of arkhan.

25 Skeletons with spears, full command and banner of hellfire.

13 Skeletons full command and warbanner

Corpse cart with balefire

4 Wraiths

The vampire and necromancer typically hide in the smaller skeleton unit and stay a little back. The big skeleton unit plows forward with the wraiths in tow. The corpse cart follows on behind facing sideways, it's there for miasma of deathly vigour as much as flank protection. (I've found it very good enemy skirmishers looking to attack my flanks.) Plus being able to take a charge makes spear skeletons quite mean, especially if they happen to be WS 6.

Any thoughts on unholy lodestone instead of balefire? It would make the wraith much scarier for the purposes of raising back.

cheesygoreguy
24-04-2008, 04:54
The concept is realy solid, however, 200pts for a flanking unit that can't negate rank bonnus is a little expensive. If you were to drop 1 wraith you could pick up a unit of 5 dire wolves who are great at flanking and have more than enough US to negate rank bonus.

Darkangeldentist
24-04-2008, 21:25
The wraiths kill stuff. Four of them gives me enough attacks to beat a fully ranked up regiment without needing too much luck with the dice. When it comes to hitting power they are difficult to match.

Plus to protect my flanks negating ranks isn't my primary concern.

Thanks for the suggestion though. That one trade would give me a very good unit to out manoeuvre opponents. I'm just a little uncertain about dire wolves now that they're so weak and fragile. All the hitting power of a wet flannel.

Zombies are always an option for flank or rear charges. Though I guess relying on raising them is a bit much. At least their numbers rise frighteningly quickly.

My real fear is that I've not enough starting units.

Spirit
24-04-2008, 22:58
The concept is realy solid, however, 200pts for a flanking unit that can't negate rank bonnus is a little expensive. If you were to drop 1 wraith you could pick up a unit of 5 dire wolves who are great at flanking and have more than enough US to negate rank bonus.

No no no no no. 200 points for a flanking unit with WS6 and 12 S5 attacks in a game where his 4 dispell dice and -1 to cast for the enemy will mean that he wins. Every game. Period.

I do not see much (ok daemons exempt, but even then they will have such a small army you can probably kill the rank before it hits you) that will kill this unit in 1000 points. I use 4 wraiths and an ethereal bsb and the most damage i have EVER taken, in 4 games, is 1 dead wraith, which i brought back.

This army wont make you any friends, but it will win games.

I would drop lord of the dead and the 13 man skeleton unit. take 20-30 zombies instead and get a handweapon and shield for your vamp, 3+ save will stop rank and file troops wearing him down if they get near him. 25 skeletons is enough and it means you don't have to keep your vamp away from combat ALL THE TIME.

The ONLY other suggestion i can make is drop the book of arkhan and get the +1 to dispell staff. 4 or five dispell dice with +1 to dispell and -1 to cast will own all. I used to love the good book, but since the new list, the 10 points, combined with the utter awesomeness of some of the vamp items, means i never get a chance to use it.

And remember, with the periapt dice the necromancer can cast vanhells twice in a turn anyway, which is plenty for the points limit.