PDA

View Full Version : A medical thread!

m1s1n
20-04-2005, 18:49
So I'm not sure if this is the first medical inquiry on the new Portent, but here it goes.

Last night my eye started to water--a lot. This morning it was crusted closed. After my shower I could open it up completely, but it was bright red. Is this pink eye?

I've heard from friends that pink eye is really itchy, which is not the case with my eye. Additionally, as the day has gone on my eye is getting less and less red. It still feels a little swollen and tender, but other than that everything seems normal.

Any suggestions?

The pestilent 1
20-04-2005, 19:08
ah, the good old medical threads :)
go. see. a. doctor.
as far as im awar, none of portents members are practiced enough in the ways of the medical doctor to tell you from a description.

Sylass
20-04-2005, 20:11
I don't know what's wrong with you "medical thread starter" type of posters, but is it really so difficult to understand the words:

GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!

Well, what's so difficult to understand about this? Who the hell know what's wrong with your eye.

Anyway, if I'd be you, I'd make sure to get it checked as soon as possible...

Kohhna
20-04-2005, 21:07
That sounds like the thing my sister had the year before last. Its treatable but definately see a doctor.

Verergoca
20-04-2005, 21:19
hmm... My advise would probably involve spoons and flipping eyes out of your skull.... But as that only brings in some other problems, visiting a doctor would be a better plan...

Wez
20-04-2005, 21:27
I don't know what's wrong with you "medical thread starter" type of posters, but is it really so difficult to understand the words:

GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!

Bear in mind that that costs a fair bit of money in some countries. Not every country has a free* healthcare system.;)

However, it is amusing to read. It's also proof of natural selection at work:

Intelligent person sees doctor and lives.

Other person asks Portent and dies.

:p

-Wez

*paid for through taxes, as opposed to cash.

salazaar
20-04-2005, 21:29
bah,. give it a few days, it won't kill you, I think ;)

Verergoca
20-04-2005, 21:35
... would you risk your eye over the advice of some people you barely know?????
I would know what to do....

Go see a doctor

thunderwolf
20-04-2005, 22:56
Well, I'm a medical student, but I'd reiterate the advice given to you by everyone else- if you're worried about it, you should see a doctor.

It sounds like conjunctivitis (inflammation of the front of the eye). You may need antibiotic eye drops or something. Itch seems to be more a feature of an allergic reaction; I'd guess yours is due to an infection. It should apparently clear up on its own in one to three weeks.

However, DON'T take my word for it- if it's bothering you, go see someone.

m1s1n
20-04-2005, 23:24
... would you risk your eye over the advice of some people you barely know?????

You know, it may be an informal anonymous setting, but I still feel that Portent is a community with individuals who's opinions I respect. I do not feel that asking about a minor medical question is really that absurd.

As Wez stated--I do not have medical insurrance, and cannot afford the well over $100 dollar office visit over an irritated eye.

But thanks to everyone who suggested the doctor. If it is still bothering me tomorrow I'll drop the cash for the visit.

An update--
The eye is still a little bit bloodshot, and feels as though there is something inside it. Other than that it has been fairly normal. I do not think it is pink eye--I'm now thinking that it is something from a white board I was working at for a couple hours yesterday. Supposedly the pens have chemicals in them that can irritate your eyes.

thunderwolf
20-04-2005, 23:33
Yeah, some chemicals might do it, especially if you rubbed your eye. It'll probably clear up in a week or so. The doc will possibly wash your eye out with saline, and maybe give you an antibiotic if he thinks its an infection, but otherwise tell you just to try not to poke it and irritate it further.

Hope this helps!

Brother_McBeaner
21-04-2005, 00:16
If you really wanted to ask a medical question online you could go to one of those forums for doctors and med students. Most of them have a section dedicated to asking questions.

arxhon
21-04-2005, 00:27
I like the medical threads. You can actually learn things from them. Besides, RM would be a lot poorer without the medical threads.

After you visit the doc, come back and tell us what it is, m1s1n. :)

grizzly ruin
21-04-2005, 00:57
It sounds a bit like pink eye, since I'm not medically qualified, norin the same country as you take that with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I've gotten pink eye at times and it wasn't constantly itchy, more like short bouts of itchy and extremely dry.

If you touch your eye for any reason (which you should try to avoid), wash your hands thoroughly before and after.

Pink eye is contagious, so if you rub the infected eye and then touch the other one you could get it there too. Or perhaps, rub the eye use the keyboard, wash hands and then use keyboard again...

You can also give it to other people. (if it is pink eye)

I don't know if you really need to go to the doctor (though, since these are eyes and they tend to be important I'd recommend it) I've waited out pink eye before, but it sucks and I usually wind up getting it in both eyes.

Kaoslord
21-04-2005, 12:20
You're only going to get a decent diagnosis if you

Post a Pic!

Disclaimer: You're not going to get one then either. But You should still post a pic for our perverted enjoyment..

Sai-Lauren
21-04-2005, 12:39
So I'm not sure if this is the first medical inquiry on the new Portent, but here it goes.
Don't think Nid's posted one yet, so it probably is. :p

Right, don't wear contact lenses do you? If you do, don't wear them for a week or so after it's all sorted out.

If it was solvents from the whiteboard, it would probably have irritated both eyes, so it's likely you've got a small speck of dust or something in there, which has adhered to the eyeball and is irritating it. It's going to be scratching the surface of your eye, which could lead to secondary infections, is unlikely to move on it's own, and unless you really trust someone to try and get it out for you (do not try and flush it with tap water, that could also give you a secondary infection), you'll have to splash the cash I'm afraid.

Is there any way you can get an eye test organised so that you don't have to pay for it (most UK companies will pay for eye tests for people who use computers, for example, don't know whether you have anything similar) and get it checked out at the same time? ;)

Jonathan =I=
22-04-2005, 17:54
The eye in question is now up for sale on Ebay

see what happens when you dont go and see a doctor

Sojourner
22-04-2005, 19:14
What on Earth is pink eye?

It was probably a minor bout of conjunctivitis. I've had it before when a bit of grit got stuck under my eyelid. Eyes have superb antiseptic agents so it's not a lot to worry about.

m1s1n
22-04-2005, 19:39
What on Earth is pink eye?

Pink eye is an infection that is easily spread. It's supposed to be super itchy and watery.

On a related note--
I found out that the irritation was a "stye"--which is basically just a pimple inside your eye over one of the glands. It's already cleared up, so that's good. Anyway--thanks everyone. If there were pics, I would have posted them.

Rich
23-04-2005, 00:06
In the mean time, try picking up something called bolene from your local chemist, which may reduce the irritation and make your eye feel better.

However, again, go see a doctor.

arxhon
23-04-2005, 05:16
Good to hear you're ok, mang, and that you don't have to wear an eyepatch. It'd be great at halloween though. ;)

glimli
23-04-2005, 06:04

Last night my eye started to water--a lot. This morning it was crusted closed. After my shower I could open it up completely, but it was bright red. Is this pink eye?

I've heard from friends that pink eye is really itchy, which is not the case with my eye. Additionally, as the day has gone on my eye is getting less and less red. It still feels a little swollen and tender, but other than that everything seems normal.

Any suggestions?

well i assume by pink eye you mean conjuctivitus. if you had that you wouldnt be able to stop rubbing your eye, itd be seriously itchy. as for your eye crusitng over thats very bad. this could be a sign of a parsitical infection, which could render you blind. your eyes are very sensitive.

oh yes

GO SEE AN OPTOMERTRIST OR A DOCTOR NOW BEFORE YOU EARN A DARWIN AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!