PDA

View Full Version : Where to play 40k in LA?

rogueTrader
24-04-2008, 18:39
So I'll be out in the LA area (around Manhattan Beach) for work for the next couple of weeks.

Can anyone provide good locations/nights to get a few games of 40k in?

I know the battle bunker is around there somewhere but would appreciate some input from anyone that lives out there or that's been out there.

Thanks!!

Sekhmet
24-04-2008, 19:40
So I'll be out in the LA area (around Manhattan Beach) for work for the next couple of weeks.

Can anyone provide good locations/nights to get a few games of 40k in?

I know the battle bunker is around there somewhere but would appreciate some input from anyone that lives out there or that's been out there.

Thanks!!

Battle Bunker is pretty good, it's the only place I play. It's actually in Westminster, not LA, which is 15-20 miles south of LA proper. There's like 10 tables for gaming there, including an Apocalypse one.

Weekends are always busy there, friday nights aren't bad. Let me know in advance and I'll get in a game with ya, if you don't mind playing Necrons at 1500 or 1750 pts.

rogueTrader
25-04-2008, 16:13
Sounds good. Next Friday? (the 2nd) Google maps says it's about a 45 min to an hour drive so that shouldn't be too bad. I don't know if that takes into account la traffic tho. I guess it'll be an experience : ).

What is the model policy at the bunker? Do they require everything painted and based? I'm thinking about bringing out daemons and they might not all be done by then. I can use a subset if everything needs to be all gussyed up.

xAlpha
25-04-2008, 17:24
My best friend works at the LA Battle Bunker. :)

The Orange
25-04-2008, 17:35
What is the model policy at the bunker? Do they require everything painted and based?

As far as I know that don't hold that policy anymore, my friends never really had a problem about running unpainted minis, though they got a few comments (jokingly of course). Of course maybe the fact that I did have a fully painted army on the other side gave them pause to be a little more criticizing.

But seeing as daemons are new, I'd think they'd be cool with it. Other then the bunker though I don't know of any really good places to game. I usually game at home anyways.

Viva LA bunker.

redrum
25-04-2008, 17:43
Good timing, Manhattan Beach is really nice this time of the year. Well, it's pretty nice all the time actually but especially around this time. The Battle Bunker is probably the place to go but there are a couple of Independent Retailers in Torrance which is just a stone's throw away from MB. Might be worth checking into. Hope that helps.

xAlpha
25-04-2008, 17:47
I played with an unpainted army there a few weeks ago, no one really cared. I'd just built them.

rogueTrader
25-04-2008, 17:54
For Torrance I came up with Third Planet and a Hobbytown. Thanks for the tip. Have you played at either of them?

redrum
25-04-2008, 18:23
No, sorry. I just checked the website to see what was close to MB and that's what I came up with for you. Torrance is only 10 or 15 minutes from MB so you may just want to drop by and check them out or call them and see what's up.

Sekhmet
25-04-2008, 18:26
at the LA Bunker, I've used entirely proxied armies before with pieces of paper as the footprint of tanks, necrons representing mega nobz, assault marines representing stormboyz. They don't care.

If you want to play in a week, it'd have to be around 7pm or so.

wolfbyte2586
25-04-2008, 18:45
i also play at the battle bunker. I could be there a bit earlier on the 2nd if you wanted to get some games in before Sekhmet gets there. I could bring my Dark Eldar or Armoured Company (whatever youd rather play against, since i doubt youd want to play Necrons all day :P). Almost none of its painted so don't worry about yours not being painted. I'd love to play against the new demons if you have time.

rogueTrader
25-04-2008, 19:17
@Sekhmet 7:00pm would work fine for me if it works for you.

@wolfbyte2586 The majority of it will be painted just some of th ancillary things that I haven't gotten to play with in a while like fiends. Although the paint jobs are kind of old so they aren't the best looking ; ). What time could you make it over there next Friday?

Sekhmet
25-04-2008, 20:31
7pm is a rough estimate, i might be 30 min earlier or later. :(

rogueTrader
26-04-2008, 18:01
7pm is a rough estimate, i might be 30 min earlier or later. :(

Not a problem. It's not like I have to go home by a certain hour or anything :). How many points?

40kdhs
26-04-2008, 18:09
Westminster bunker is GW's HQ. It's a big place and locates in a shopping mall.

They open at 12 every day. They close at 11 pm on friday and saturday. On Sunday, they close at 6. The rest of day, they close at 9 pm.

If you want to play Fantasy, you come on Tues or weekend. If you want to play 40k, you go there on Friday and the weekend.

This place is crowded on the weekend. It's a cool place to hang around. Restaurants are within walking distance. If you don't want to walk to a restaurant or KFC , or Macdonal, you can have your pizza delivered there. People eat and play games there.

I go there on Sat. Welcome to CA.! The gas price is 3.80 in Westminster.!

[Provehito in Altum]
26-04-2008, 18:41
There are two GW's in the San Fernando Valley, one in the Northridge Fashion Center, and the other in the Glendale Galleria. There's a GW closer to LA proper in Santa Anita, there's one in Orange and there's the Bunker in Westminster. Happy Gaming! =)

40kdhs
26-04-2008, 19:32
LA bunker in Westminster is the BIGGEST place in Southern CA.

imweasel
27-04-2008, 21:35
LA bunker in Westminster is the BIGGEST place in Southern CA.

And it only has 10 tables and one apoc table?

Wow. At the store I work at, that would be small...

Sekhmet
27-04-2008, 23:14
Westminster bunker is GW's HQ. It's a big place and locates in a shopping mall.

They open at 12 every day. They close at 11 pm on friday and saturday. On Sunday, they close at 6. The rest of day, they close at 9 pm.

If you want to play Fantasy, you come on Tues or weekend. If you want to play 40k, you go there on Friday and the weekend.

This place is crowded on the weekend. It's a cool place to hang around. Restaurants are within walking distance. If you don't want to walk to a restaurant or KFC , or Macdonal, you can have your pizza delivered there. People eat and play games there.

I go there on Sat. Welcome to CA.! The gas price is 3.80 in Westminster.!

That's not true actually. They open at 2pm Tuesday-Friday, noon on Saturday and Sunday, unless that changed within the last week.

It doesn't matter when you go, you can play whatever game you want whenever you want. If there are people there, you'll probably see games of 40k and fantasy.

Oh, and I think I miscounted. 9 physical tables, 6 with 3 gaming tables of 4x6' on them, one with a longer/shorter/regular table, one with a single 4x6' gaming table, and one as an Apoc table.

As for take out food within walking distance, there's:
Quiznos
L&L
Carl's Jr
KFC

And as I said, 1500 or 1750pts of 40k is good.

BrotherErekose
28-04-2008, 04:36
It's cool that poster "rouge trader" has found a game to play, but I feel the need to toot the horn of another venue:

Game Empire in Pasadena. The Battle Bunker is cool , but lacking in one necessity, at least when I last went there:

Chairs/Stools for while you play. The 'tables' are set at a pretty tall height and the stools are unavailable for game table use, like the GW in Glendale (which I frequent often).

Just wait until someone in a wheel chair shows up to play.:evilgrin:

Game Empire has shorter tables, but nice, comfy chairs to recline while your opponent dithers for ten minutes moving 2k worth of models. Plus, other brands can be bought and played there besides 40k....

The BB has great terrain and the soundtrack to Conan the Destroyer, but for the other comforts offered, folks in Southern Cal ought to try out Game Empire in Pasadena.

No, I don't work there. No, no one has asked me to throw this pitch. I play there often.

It is simply the best gaming store I've seen since I started playing Basic Dungeons & Dragons , back when Jimmy Carter was president of the USA. And there have been quite a few gaming stores to pop up and drop in those 3 decades.
----------------------
The one place I would put above GameEmpire would be the Nottingham headquarters. There has simply *got* to be a bar attached to any gaming joint. ;)

Blackmoor
28-04-2008, 06:29
The stores closest to you are Aero Hobbies in Santa Monica and Third Planet in Torrance. Both are rather small and have about 3-4 tables.

The best places to play in the LA area are Game Empire in Pasadena and the LA Battle Bunker.

Sounds good. Next Friday? (the 2nd) Google maps says it's about a 45 min to an hour drive so that shouldn't be too bad. I don't know if that takes into account la traffic tho. I guess it'll be an experience : ).

If you think that you will drive down the 405 in rush hour and make it in a reasonable amount of time, you will be disappointed. I would really really recommend that you play either Saturday or Sunday when the traffic is much better.

rogueTrader
28-04-2008, 09:11
I was thinking about checking out Game Empire also. My only problem there was looking at the website there was a 40k night, but it was a league that you had to pay to enter. Kind of confused me.

Since a couple of you go there. Do you know if their RT on the 10th is filled up yet? I have no problems driving around to get the full LA gaming experience!!

Dribble Joy
28-04-2008, 12:35
The one place I would put above GameEmpire would be the Nottingham headquarters. There has simply *got* to be a bar attached to any gaming joint. ;)

Bit of a treck however :p.

It is good though. Something like 40 tables plus at least 3 for Apoc. (you can ask to put some of the regular ones together if those are being used though), with lots of stools. Most of them can be used for either 40k or fantasy, only a few are 40k only (due to terrain), there's even necromunda and mordhiem ones, plus a couple for WW1 gamess. Been there several times, all good fun.

BrotherErekose
28-04-2008, 16:14
I was thinking about checking out Game Empire also. My only problem there was looking at the website there was a 40k night, but it was a league that you had to pay to enter. Kind of confused me.

Since a couple of you go there. Do you know if their RT on the 10th is filled up yet? I have no problems driving around to get the full LA gaming experience!!

Hmm, I can't speak for the guys running the joint, but the atmosphere is friendly enough that you'd get a game in anyway. I'm in that league (a 6 or 8week long 'ladder league' currently) and I wouldn't turn you down just because I wouldn't get points for the game. My last two games played there won't count for the league as my opponent wasn't signed up. No biggy.

The RTT on the 10th is not full, as far as I know. Post your question on the site and it'll get answered.

I answer to 'erekose42' on the GE site, but my name is Casey in case you get out there on a Tuesday night or Saturday. I have Tau who like new targets to shoot at.
;)

rogueTrader
29-04-2008, 00:53
If you think that you will drive down the 405 in rush hour and make it in a reasonable amount of time, you will be disappointed. I would really really recommend that you play either Saturday or Sunday when the traffic is much better.

I shouldn't be working a full day on Friday. My plan was to be heading down there around 12:00-1:00pm and just hang out in the area. Does that still sound like a bad plan?

Sekhmet
29-04-2008, 01:34
rogueTrader - I won't be able to play this friday after all, stuff came up. Would you be able to play Sunday or maybe Thursday?

rogueTrader
29-04-2008, 17:54
I can do Sunday. But during the week I won't be able to make it down there in a decent time frame except for friday's.

Sekhmet
29-04-2008, 19:14
argh standby on sunday, I might have to go to Vandenberg all day. >.<

Keadaen
29-04-2008, 19:43
just so I don't have to start a whole new post on this but does anyone know of a place to play in panama city florida USA?

rogueTrader
04-05-2008, 01:36
argh standby on sunday, I might have to go to Vandenberg all day. >.<

Hi Sekhmet,
I'm assuming that since you never responded Sunday is out?

Sekhmet
04-05-2008, 02:10
Hi Sekhmet,
I'm assuming that since you never responded Sunday is out?

It's still on the table. >.< I'm not going to vandenberg anymore though. How was friday?

rogueTrader
04-05-2008, 04:12
It's still on the table. >.< I'm not going to vandenberg anymore though. How was friday?

Friday was good. Got a game in started, gluing sand on some models. What time do you want to meet tommorrow? I'll plan on showing up there around noon, but anytime is good for me. My actual name is Richard.

Sekhmet
04-05-2008, 05:27
I'll be there around noon I guess. If anyone else is in the LA area, come down!