PDA

View Full Version : Is there any pooint to...

LawrencePhillips
24-04-2008, 18:34
swaping an assault marine unit's jump packs for a drop pod.

Jump packs grant deepstrike (which is almost always in play) while drop pods can't be used in non stardard missions anyway. Im i missing something or am I trading jump infantry for 1 stormbolter?

Orwin
24-04-2008, 18:53
It seems to me that this is one of those choices that are only valid fluff-wise. Unfotunately, every rule setting has rules or choices that nobody will take since there are better ones on the marketplace.

Damocles8
24-04-2008, 19:26
yes, drop pods can avoid landing on enemy units (this killing the Jump Pack squad) but at that risk you lose 18" assault.....

Bookwrak
24-04-2008, 22:20
Wait, what? Why can't you use a drop-pod in a non-standard mission?

The advantage of Drop-pods is that they can be used in every mission, even ones that don't allow deep strike, which could be a problem for DSing jump infantry. Also, a bad scatter roll can't kill a unit arriving by pod.

Bunnahabhain
24-04-2008, 23:35
Jump packs are riskier, but T4 and a 3+ save means you can often get away with those risks anyway.

Don't write off the death wind upgrade for drop pods. Hordes, and any poor save troops hate it.

Imperialis_Dominatus
25-04-2008, 05:53
swaping an assault marine unit's jump packs for a drop pod.

Jump packs grant deepstrike (which is almost always in play) while drop pods can't be used in non stardard missions anyway. Im i missing something or am I trading jump infantry for 1 stormbolter?

Well, I think that Drop Pods are kind of 'no-brainer Deep Striking,' so if you play with lots of terrain it might come in handy. But it does keep you from charging as soon afterward- if you're close enough, they'll charge you, and if you're far enough away, they'll run. There's no middle ground, really. So in the end, it's probably best to take the jump packs.

Althanan
25-04-2008, 06:39
I find pods nice for objective grabbing... not a lot of enemies find the idea of charging an entrenched Assault squad in good cover with two flamers all that appealing.

alphastealer
25-04-2008, 08:27
I often wonder why more guys don't field assault marines without the jump pack. Essentially you get a close combat squad with free frag grenades and the whole squad can take melta bombs for 2 pts each which is a real bargain. They can have either 2 flamers or 2 plasma pistols and the sergeant can be upgraded as usual...so what is not to like?

Damage,Inc.
25-04-2008, 08:38
I am revitalizing my marine army and will be taking assault marines less jump packs in a drop pod, mainly for fluff reasons. Some of the first artowrk I ever saw was an old RT assault squad battering their way into a spaceship. I have always loved the idea of close quarters/confined space assaulters. Basically the squad could either be deployed be drop pod or boarding torpedo depending on whether they are going planetside or into an enemy ship.

Koryphaus
25-04-2008, 08:57
I am revitalizing my marine army and will be taking assault marines less jump packs in a drop pod, mainly for fluff reasons. Some of the first artowrk I ever saw was an old RT assault squad battering their way into a spaceship. I have always loved the idea of close quarters/confined space assaulters. Basically the squad could either be deployed be drop pod or boarding torpedo depending on whether they are going planetside or into an enemy ship.

I think it usually comes from the fact that they don't have access to droppods (the players, not the marines) and cannot take a rhino transport and their maneuverability is reduced. And really, you only pay 70pts for a full squad of jumppacks anyway; a rhino is nearly that expensive, and a landraider is frightfully more...