PDA

View Full Version : As if there weren't enough of them, another 2k VC

Malagant
25-04-2008, 00:14
This is a bit of plagiarism from other's lists, particularly Malorian (did I spell that right?)...his battle reports inspire me!

I changed things around a bit from his list, will explain as I go:

Vampire Lord (Level 3)- 475 (!)
- Master of the Black Art, Ghoulkin, Dread Knight
- Helm of Command, Skull Staff
Mounted on Hellsteed (note, according to BRB 59, since the Hellsteed has 1W, it is just a mount, not a monstrous mount...anyone have a disagreeing reference?)

The Lord will use his flight to find advantageous positions to used the Helm of Command and as much magic as I can muster. He'll have a 2+ save, and a respectable charge. If I'm fighting someone/thign that will require it, I can add Biting Blade...but I think his Lance will do for most things ;)

Vampire - Summon Ghouls, Dread Knight, Blood Drinker - 180

Vampire - Summon Ghouls, Dread Knight, Sword of Battle, Black Periapt - 170

These vampires will each be in a different ghoul unit, using their Ghoulish affinity and proximity of Corpse Cart to boost up and maintain strength in the Ghoul units. The Dread Knight gives them a stout 2+ save, and allows them some maneuverability if I want them to leave (and also adding an extra body to the unit for rank purposes). The Blood Drinker seems like a handy way to keep extra Ghouls in the unit, so his unit would be the one I'd try to maneuver to take on the toughest enemy.

Necromancer - Book of Arkhan (Danse Macabre) - 90

This guy will ride the Corpse Cart, and use the book and dice from pool (3 with black periapt) to attempt to cast three Dance per turn.

Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone - 100

Cart with Necro will join the third Ghoul unit to keep it safer from ranged and to hopefully be mightily killy with WS7 from the Lord's Helm.

3x 15 Ghouls with Ghasts - 128 each

I'd form the ghouls in an oblique line, each has a Mounted Vampire or Necro on Corpsecart attached. They'd try to stay within 6" of center unit, so all three can benefit from the Loadstone and Cart's spell. These guys are the "main line".

5x Black Knights with Barding, Banner of Dead Legion - 186

These guys will be setup to take advantage of terrain to achieve an unexpected charge. With the Banner, I hope they'll break and auto-rout whatever they charge. (*Note if I were to make this army more points, a Wight King would be added here!*)

1 Varghulf - 175

I don't know what it is about this guy, but I think he looks great. Subtle, yet entirely fearsome and repulsive. I'd put him on a flank where he can try to achieve a flank charge on something fighting my ghoul line.

4x Cairn Wraiths w/ Banshee - 225

I love the models, and love the Banshee. These guys will screen the Varghulf, and be provided march move by him. They'll try to squash enemy skirmishers or fast cavalry, then flank for rear echelon destruction.

Hopefully with the speed from several Danse Macabres and Ghoulkin march move, I can get stuck in as soon as possible and make my opponent react to me. It will have 10 PD, and 7 DD (+/- Black Periapt).

Critique, please!

Malorian
25-04-2008, 01:59
Glad to hear someone likes my battle reports : )

List looks fun. That hellsteed thing is still in the air, but just make sure to clear it before th game and all will be good.

With the helm on the lord just remember the trick of charging and finishing his fight first so he gets out of combat and can use the helm on someone else ; )

Sarael
25-04-2008, 08:33
I do something similar, only my lord is casty, and I run 3 IH Dread Knights (Corpse Cart sits in the back). Instead of BKs though, I run bats, and instead of wraiths, I run KoBKs. A DK Vampire is similarly as effective as the Varghulf (which I don't use, but higher Str on the charge) and my felbats screen my frenzied KoBKs who chew through anything they come across (I don't play against any Khornate Chosen Knights though).

I like it! I still wish my Vampire Count could ride a cart... :(

Malagant
25-04-2008, 13:19
Thinking of dropping the Lord's Ghoulkin in favor of Summon Ghouls to ensure the Ghoul units are ginormous (gigantic AND enormous!) by the time combat is engaged. Also, as much as I love it, can drop the Skull Staff, and pick up the Armor-with-the-name-I-can't-remember (extra heavy armor with the ward save)...that should make the Lord a lot less killable (1+ save and a ward save). That would leave some more points for another toy...or, *gasp* a dispel scroll!

edit that's Walach's Bloody Hauberk, and leaves enough for a Dispel Scroll, or a magic weapon if I think opponent's army needs me to carry one. Also ends up being a tad cheaper, so I can either buy an extra spell for the Necro (blah), or a few extra ghouls, or another toy for the Periapt-carrying Vampire

Malagant
27-04-2008, 00:53
*bump* In hopes of more feedback! Thanks!

Evil-Lite
27-04-2008, 18:45
Main thing I dislike with the list is the Lord set-up. It looks like you want to go the caster / support route (5 Power Dice, Skull staff, and Helm); however, with 3 random spells and unable for the Lord to increase the ghoul units... The caster portion feels off to me.

I am also not a fan of having the General with no protection while alone. Any magic / shooting that is able to target the general will quickly end the game. A 3+ AS is not much protection against a good portion of the spells / war machines out there. And considering what happens to the army when your general dies...

Malagant
27-04-2008, 22:17
Thx Evil! I absolutely agree with you. I dropped the General's Ghoulkin in favor of Summon Ghouls, and changed around his equipment to include the Bloody Hauberk. Now he's 1+ AS and 5+ Ward Save.

I used this list (proxy-ing all the models! :P) against a 2k OK tonight, and it was an utterly decisive victory. After 6 turns I was down the necromancer and a handful of R&F. Admittedly my opponent rolled horribly, but my army did everything I wanted it to.

Main thing I dislike with the list is the Lord set-up. It looks like you want to go the caster / support route (5 Power Dice, Skull staff, and Helm); however, with 3 random spells and unable for the Lord to increase the ghoul units... The caster portion feels off to me.

I am also not a fan of having the General with no protection while alone. Any magic / shooting that is able to target the general will quickly end the game. A 3+ AS is not much protection against a good portion of the spells / war machines out there. And considering what happens to the army when your general dies...

Max zero
28-04-2008, 05:43
Thx Evil! I absolutely agree with you. I dropped the General's Ghoulkin in favor of Summon Ghouls, and changed around his equipment to include the Bloody Hauberk. Now he's 1+ AS and 5+ Ward Save.

I used this list (proxy-ing all the models! :P) against a 2k OK tonight, and it was an utterly decisive victory. After 6 turns I was down the necromancer and a handful of R&F. Admittedly my opponent rolled horribly, but my army did everything I wanted it to.

Meh I'm not sold on the Bloody Hauberk. Its 45 points for a 5+ Ward. You might be better off with a regular AS plus the Wristbands of Blackgold. Its the Cannons/Bolt Throwers/etc that are going to do you in.

Sarael
28-04-2008, 06:24
With your lord setup (mostly the hellsteed) I agree with Max. I'd only take the wristbands if I were going to have my general fly. I'd ALWAYS take the wristbands if my general is flying.

I exchanged IH on one of my vampires today for Ghoulkin, and I have to say it was worth the switch. He lets EVERY ghoul unit move (I had it in my mind for some reason it was just HIS unit). I'd keep ghoulkin by dropping Summon Ghouls from one of the Dread Knights.

Evil-Lite
28-04-2008, 13:12
You could drop Summon Ghouls from 1 of the Vamps instead of Dread Knight if you wanted (would suggest the one without blood drinker). You will be missing out on 1 dice attempt at summoning more Ghouls for the ability to march them forward before the game. Armour on vamps is crucial for survivability.

Slyde
29-04-2008, 06:36
Keep in mind if your lord is on a hellsteed he only gets a 2+ save via walach's hauberk, not a 1+. Hellsteeds aren't barded.

Malagant
29-04-2008, 18:30
Slyde, why aren't hellsteeds barded? I could go all rule's-lawyer to justify it...what's your rule reference?

Regardless, you guys have given me great ideas. I'll drop the Bloody Hauberk, wear the wristbands, and to keep with my rear-echelon support role I'll try the Rod of Flaming Death. (Or perhaps the Staff that gives extra attack to all undead unit...my inerpretation of RAW is that the helm of commandment will not work for this attack, though. Anyone think otherwise?)

Thanks for great feedback, all!

Scooner
29-04-2008, 19:13
i would totally agree with you with barding for the hellsteed but it shoulded be classed as scaly skin rather than barding..

i like the ghoul ideas especially with the 2A poison but do want some protection for my main core units. but thats me..

go out and try it buddy let me know how you do...

Malagant
29-04-2008, 19:36
I have tried once, was wildly successful...others have been successful too. You should read Malorian's battle reports!

Apply "math-hammer" and you'll find the higher WS and T of the Ghouls makes them about as survivable as skeletons...plus they're actually able to do some damage!

i would totally agree with you with barding for the hellsteed but it shoulded be classed as scaly skin rather than barding..

i like the ghoul ideas especially with the 2A poison but do want some protection for my main core units. but thats me..

go out and try it buddy let me know how you do...

Scooner
29-04-2008, 19:43
no thats fine witht the ghouls, i just dont have much luck with them..thats poss just me!! lol

il have to find the battle reports and have a looksie...

Malagant
30-04-2008, 03:52
A modification of Malorian's 2k list:

Vamp Lord Level 3
-Master of Black Arts, Ghoulkin, Summon Ghouls
-Helm of Commandment, Black Periapt, Crown of the Damned, Sword of Might

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
-Hand of Dust

Vampire
-Dark Acolyte, Summon Ghouls
-Rod of Flaming Death

Necromanser (Danse)
-Book of Arkhan

Varghulf

Corpse Cart with Lodestone

3x 15 Ghouls with Ghast

4 Cairn Wraiths with Banshee

5 Black Knights with Champion & Standard w/ Banner of the Dead Legion

I believe 12 PD (13 with Periapt) and 7 DD

The vampires are a bit squishy (as they are in his list, but he seems to manage :P ). Compared to his this loses 2 PD, a 'ghoul bunker' and a Balefire Cart...but gains ability to beef up the ghouls from the two lesser vampires, the Black Periapt, and the not insignificant damage output of the Varghulf, the Hand of Dust and Rod of Flaming Death.

<edit> If Rod is being wasted because that Vampire is in Melee more often than not, then Staff of Damnation could be substituted!

wolfbyte2586
30-04-2008, 04:51
Slyde, why aren't hellsteeds barded? I could go all rule's-lawyer to justify it...what's your rule reference?

I'm sorry, how DO you justify helsteeds being barded? The rules dont state they are anywhere. The rules on page 52 dont say so, neither does their statline summary on page 91.

I'm assuming that Fantasy, like 40k, is a permissive ruleset, so unless it says they are, they're not, and i can't find anywhere that says they are. Page reference? Theres no FAQ that i can find.

Malagant
19-05-2008, 01:07
I haven't had much opportunity to play with VC, but I've been fiddling with my list. This is an alternative I've come up with using what seems to be a popular use of GG:

Vampire Lord (Level 3) on Hellsteed (Master of Black Arts, Summon Ghouls, Avatar of Death with HW & Shield): Helm of Commandment (Enchanted Item), Crown of the Damned (Talisman), Black Periapt (Arcane), Balefire Spike (Weapon) - Flies around to stay out of trouble, providing support with helm & spells - decent AS & Regen so can charge in to a combat with Lance to support.

Vampire (Infinite Hatred, Dread Knight) BSB with Drakenhoff Banner - Joins GG

Necromancer (Danse) with Book of Arkhan

Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone (Necro rides the cart)

15 Grave Guard with Full Command, shields traded in for Great Weapons

Three units of 15 Ghouls with Ghasts

1 Varghulf

5 Cairn Wraiths with Banshee

In my experience the Ghouls can serve damn well as anvil or hammer. I'd have two ghoul units flanking the GG, the third can either support that line or run off with the Varghulf to anvil for him.

wolfbyte2586
19-05-2008, 05:37
sounds like an awesome list to me... my only thought is...

**personal preference approaching**
i like Balefire more than the Lodestone
**personal preference departing**

heres why:
Lodestone adds +1 to the number of models you raise... woopdedoo imo. it seems like the 25 points would be better spent ruining the opponents casting than making yours marginally better. not only that, but it will make dispelling the opponents spells slightly easier (since they suffer -1 to cast)...

just my thoughts anyway. I play without dispel scrolls and i also run two Carts with Balefire so it helps stop enemy castings.