PDA

View Full Version : 'I am the hammer.....etc' prayer

sainthale1988
25-04-2008, 15:07
Greetings fellow seers. i am trying to work out the full Grey Knight battle prayer mentioned a lot in those most excellent books by Ben Counter (Grey Knights, Dark Adept and Hammer of Deamons).

the closest i have got is;

"I am the Hammer. I am the sword in His hand. I am the Gauntlet about His fist. I am the Bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous. I am the End."

but i can half remember other part such as "I am the tip of his spear" and "I am the mail about his ........." something.

if anyone knows the whole things/ has any other bitz to add (either quoted or made up!) please post here.

many thanks in advance

Saint_Hale

Klomster
25-04-2008, 15:49
Quoted from the book of grey knights by Ben counter.

"I am the hammer,
i am the right hand of my emperor,
the instrument of his will,
the tip of his spear, the edge of his sword"

That's one, i have more in my car.
So i kinda try to remember them, could be a bit off.

"In vengeance be true, in valour be strong.
In vengeance be foremost!" The brother captains brothers reply, followed by a holocaust.

I could have remembered it wrong, i had it written down on a paper but packed them to bring them to the tournament i'm playing in.

I need to have the emperor with me, for what would i be without him?

An ork maybe.
(Ork and deamonhunter player)

sainthale1988
25-04-2008, 22:22
cheers for that, any chance you could post the rest up after you've had a chance to refresh your memory.

good luck in your torny, may 'his will be done'.

Feor
26-04-2008, 00:00
Most of it is in Hammer of Daemons:
"I am the hammer, " iam the mail about Him fist. I am the Spear in His hand. Though we are lost, I am the shield on His arm. I am the flight of His arrows."

and

"I am the hammer. I am the sword. I am the shield. I am the soldier of the battle at the end of time."

TheOverlord
26-04-2008, 07:35
I'm beginning to think that either this prayer has 7 different verses about him being His hammer, or mr. Counter really did not bother to reference his own sources for this...

sainthale1988
26-04-2008, 10:22
both of these are of course exellent points. or the prayer is freeform: i.e it starts 'i am the hammer', then you can go as you wish.

Brother Enok
26-04-2008, 21:56
Arnt the Grey Knights the Ordo Malleus, which I think translates to the order of the hammer in latin.

sainthale1988
27-04-2008, 12:16
thanks for that Brother Enok, arn't you the master of the obvious ;)
Also the Grey Knights are an independent chapter but have close links with the Ordo Malleus, there arn't the same institution (but both working to splat deamons there kinda close)

johnmcl7
04-05-2008, 16:55
both of these are of course exellent points. or the prayer is freeform: i.e it starts 'i am the hammer', then you can go as you wish.

Only problem there is don't they all vox it together? (unlike some of the other prayers which are one member reciting to the rest). As there doesn't seem to be any announcement first to decide which version it is, I was left with the impression this was an inconsistency with the writing.

John

sainthale1988
04-05-2008, 18:04
ahh excellent point......... look like i'll just have to read though all the books agains. ... actually that dosn't sound such a bad idea

bobbles
04-05-2008, 18:10
malus is the latin word your looking for and it means bad
malicious being derived from it
althought in the case of the various ordo's the context means it translates as demon or evil

johnmcl7
04-05-2008, 19:31
ahh excellent point......... look like i'll just have to read though all the books agains. ... actually that dosn't sound such a bad idea

I've just read through the books and stumbled across this forum when searching for thoughts on the hammer prayer as I was sure it had varied throughout the book. Normally one Grey Knight would start and the rest would follow I'm fairly sure, whereas particularly in Dark Adeptus they had one Grey Knight saying the prayer and it functioned differently, rather than prepare them for battle it actively repulsed the data daemons.

Definitely enjoyed reading through them, especially the end of the last book when Alaric is fighting Venilator.

John

sainthale1988
04-05-2008, 19:59
malus is the latin word your looking for and it means bad
malicious being derived from it
althought in the case of the various ordo's the context means it translates as demon or evil

ehem. according to my Latin dictionary: malleus -i m. [a hammer , mallet, poleaxe].

you apear to have been confused with maleficus -a -um [evil-doing , mischievous]; adv. malefice.

however this point is irrelevent to the perpose of this post. might i suggest more......considered research

Feor
04-05-2008, 21:27
He's right, actually. "Malus" does mean bad or evil. Unfortunatly, it's the "Ordos Malleus" or Order of the Hammer that we're talking about.

A Prime example of where Bad Spelling is annoying in one language, and devastating in 2. :p

sainthale1988
04-05-2008, 21:44
A Prime example of where Bad Spelling is annoying in one language, and devastating in 2. :p

siging that! :D

Kyrios
05-05-2008, 22:57
Malleus Maleficarum has both terms. Hammer of Witches. Interesting book. Horrible results.

Justicar Myo
10-02-2009, 11:57
I one knight spent half an hour with all the book in front of me here is what i have

"I am the Hammer, I am the point of His Sword. I am the tip of His Spear. I am the gauntlet about His Fist, I am His sword as He is my armour. I am His wrath and He is my zeal. Let us be His Sheild, Let us speak His word as He fuels the fire of devotion. Let us fight His battles, as he fights the battle at the end of time, and let us join him there, for duty ends not in death. I am the bane if His foes and the woes of the treacherous! I am the end!"

What i did was put togather the parts in each book and i know they say it more than once but i needed to get some sleep and every time the order was diffrent so...but i think its a battle prayer to fight of deamons and thats why i put the ! at the end of the last to parts

Emperor's Avenger
10-02-2009, 16:16
Technically, in Latin it translates to "Hammer Order", malleus not being put into the genitive case. So "Order of the Hammer" would be Ordo Mallei.

But since this is GW pseudo-Latin (or High Gothic) rather than the real thing, it's close enough.

Private Ginger
10-02-2009, 22:51
I can give something that's close...

They shall be My Hammer, the sword in My hand, the gauntlet about My fist, the bane of My foes and woes of the treacherous. When no others may stand beside them, they shall fight. Only the greatest shall enter their ranks, for unto them do I entrust stewardship over the Gates of Hell.
It's the Malleus Charge, which all Interrogators must state upon becoming a full inquisitor.

tTakoma
20-06-2009, 13:11
I have an other version a little different…
Lord of knowledge be praised
I am the hammer
I am the right hand of my Emperor
I am the the instrument of his will
The gauntlet about his fist
The tip of his spear
The edge of his sword

I am his sword just as he is my armour
I am the his wrath just as he is my zeal
I am the hate
I am the woes of daemonkind

I am the hammer
The sword in his hand
I am the bane of his foes
And the woes of the treacherons.

I am the Hammer
I am the sword
I am the Shield
I am the soldier of the battle at the end of the time.

I am the Exitus!

GSG

Urath
20-06-2009, 16:29
I can't find my Deamonhunters Codex, but aren't they excerpts from the 666 secret words?

Ekfud
25-08-2009, 05:36
Version done up for calligraphy practice.
This is a slight merge of the various forms that have appeared.

I'll dig out some other pics - the close up has the capital 'I' stencilled in with citadel paints.

Lord Izrael
25-08-2009, 06:22
That looks very good. :)

Private Ginger
25-08-2009, 17:25
I agree with Izrael.

restore111
26-08-2009, 12:13
hey, izrael, could i get full page pics of that. its most amazing, and possibly even worthy of tattoo magic :)

Justicar Cullen
01-10-2009, 14:25
I stumbled upon this thread and thought it would be appropriate if I posted The Canticle of Absolution of the Grey Knights, known as the Six Hundred and Sixty Six Secret Words..

Praise the Emperor for his sacrifice,
as He endures so shall we.
We who are hunters of Daemons
shall strive in his name eternally.
We the Order of the Hammer,
shall delve into dark shadows,
We shall seek out the tainted,
we shall pursue the vilest evil.
It is we who stand guard,
our eternel watch shall not fail,
For we are the Ordo Malleus!

We Grey Knights are the hammers,
we slay the darkness without fear.
Founded in great mystery were we,
Chapter six hundred and sixty six.
Though on Titan we be hidden,
yet our eyes encompass the Galaxy.
No Devil shall elude our gaze,
no Daemon shall avoid its fate.
We shall be the Keepers Immortal,
all secrets shall be our knowledge.
We are the Guardians of Mankind!

Caution and secrecy are our code,
watchfulness and patience are our way.
Hidden from the Eyes of Chaos,
we strike without warning or dread.
Though we find ourselves in shadows,
no blackness will enter our hearts.
No treachery will touch our souls,
no pride will sully our thoughts.
We shall be pure amongst impurity,
we shall be innocence amongst guilt.
We are the Imperium`s hidden saviours!

We are spread across the Heavens,
our watch is untiring and ceaseless.
The Emperor shall guard our souls,
as we guard those of others.
Our will shall be our weapon,
our faith shall be our armour.
Our minds will be secure fortresses,
no temtation will weaken our resolve.
Though unnumbered lurking perils await us,
our blades will ever be ready.
For we are the Emperor`s Vengeance!

Masters of all weapons are we,
no defence exists against our wrath.
With the Nemesis shall we fight,
with an Aegis to shield us.
In bloodshed shall we save Mankind,
death shall be our everlasting creed.
War unending shall be our fate,
in battle shall we be steeped.
We shall be unstinting in hatred,
we shall hunger for holy war.
For we are Swords of Justice!

When all flee in hideous disarray,
strong and sound shall we stand.
Cowardice is wholly unknown to us,
our courage comes from the Emperor.
Unbowed and unshaken against all foes,
we shall claim victory with blood.
Steady and surely we hunt them,
those that dare oppose our wrath.
Death stalks us in many forms,
the grotesque and the utterly inhuman.
We are Bringers of Hope!

Bloody battles unending constantly await us,
redemption the reward for our vigilance.
When possession rears its unspeakable head,
ours is the blade that descends.
When empyrean horrors invade our realm,
our exorcisms shall hurl them back.
There is no chaos spawned horror
which can resist our indomitable anger.
With undaunted courage we shall prevail,
no arcane magicks shall overcome us.
We are the Bearers of Victory!

No corruption shall blemish our Galaxy,
no immatricial fiend shall be spared.
No malevolent spirit will oppose us,
no creation of sin shall survive.
No unholy deed shall go unpunished,
all blasphemous acts shall be atoned.
No spawn of misrule avoid us,
all are banished to the void.
Nothing shall evade our cleansing fire,
not Daemon or Spawn or Renegade,
For we are Mankind`s Divine Blade!

Heavenly blessings are laid upon us,
the warp is ours to tame.
Though sorceries shall be against us,
no witchcraft will bring our doom.
Though spell or incarnation blocks us,
the Emperor shall see us victorious.
No hex can overcome our determination,
our resolve is strong as steel.
Sigils and wards watch over us,
prayers shall serve as our guide.
For we are the Emperor`s Chosen!

There is much darkness awaiting us,
yet the Emperor lights our path.
Falsehood surrounds us at every turn,
yet no traitor shall confound us.
No despicable trickery will thwart us,
no damnation shall bring us low.
There is no peace for us,
for an eternity we will strive.
Though mere mortals in His service,
everlasting shall be our true duty.
Et Imperator Invocato Diabolus
Daemonica Exorcism!

GavT
02-10-2009, 09:40
I stumbled upon this thread and thought it would be appropriate if I posted The Canticle of Absolution of the Grey Knights, known as the Six Hundred and Sixty Six Secret Words..

>SNIP<

I still have a cold, subconscious dread that somewhere along the way I miscounted and there are 665 or 667 secret words...

(incidentally, the true Number of the Beast is thought to be 616, not 666, but that's nowhere near as cool.)

Cheers,

GAV

Justicar Cullen
02-10-2009, 11:42
I still have a cold, subconscious dread that somewhere along the way I miscounted and there are 665 or 667 secret words...

(incidentally, the true Number of the Beast is thought to be 616, not 666, but that's nowhere near as cool.)

Cheers,

GAV

At least somebody read it. :)

Ekfud
26-01-2010, 23:59
Hmmm - I'm assuming that is Gavin Thorpe?
Ie, who actually wrote the Codex...

Wolfblade670
27-01-2010, 04:07

Cheers,

GAV

Well, Microsoft Word counts 658 words...doesn't mean its right though. We are talking about Microsoft Word...

JusticarExxodus
02-03-2010, 04:51
I began counting the The Canticle of Absolution and discovered something rather interesting;
It indeed IS Six Hundred and Sixty Words, however I believe it may have been typed improperly.

Upon counting, I immediately noticed by the 3rd line of the first stanza that each line carried exactly six words, and I counted the stanza. 11 lines (66 words). So I counted the stanzas. There are ten. I checked, the first 9 stanzas each have 11 lines, the tenth has 12 lines. I assume for not having the last line run unusually off to the side, since it has 6 High-Gothic words (Et Imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcism! ) and I'm assuming if it were written with center-line justification, the final stanza would have only 11 lines.

So from here it was just a matter of counting the words in each line. To which I found...

Stanza 1, Line 6, reads;
"shall delve into dark shadows"
If you change it to
"shall delve in to dark shadows"
you get six words instead of five.

Stanza 6, Line 11;
"We are Bringers of Hope!"
Which I believe should be
"We are the Bringers of Hope!"
making the total 6 words.

These minute changes would make it a complete and true, 666 words.

sainthale1988
11-03-2010, 18:04
now thats comitment to background

JusticarExxodus
11-03-2010, 18:22
Thanks :) give me a month or two to get some money nd I"kk show you commitment lol

Askil the Undecided
12-03-2010, 05:52
I have an other version a little different…
Lord of knowledge be praised
I am the hammer
I am the right hand of my Emperor
I am the the instrument of his will
The gauntlet about his fist
The tip of his spear
The edge of his sword

I am his sword just as he is my armour
I am the his wrath just as he is my zeal
I am the hate
I am the woes of daemonkind

I am the hammer
The sword in his hand
I am the bane of his foes
And the woes of the treacherons.

I am the Hammer
I am the sword
I am the Shield
I am the soldier of the battle at the end of the time.

I am the Exitus!

GSG

Oh they just had to throw in a Latin word that may or may not make any sense didn't they?

I am the to go out!

Lord of Worms
12-03-2010, 06:14
Oh they just had to throw in a Latin word that may or may not make any sense didn't they?

I am the to go out!

They could have just taken a full paragraph from the Malleus Maleficarum or something. That would have been better.:rolleyes:

Askil the Undecided
12-03-2010, 15:34
Hmm... better but possibly a rather tricky situation, publishing a book that places in kids hands bits of the Malleus could backfire to one degree or another socially.

You know, "outraged" parents, there seem to be more of them all the time for one reason or another.

Then again... sod them.

Lord of Worms
14-03-2010, 03:36
How? It's just some random exorcism asking for God to lay the smackdown. It's not the Goetia or the Red Dragon or anything. The only people who might get offended are fanatical atheists.

Devastator
14-03-2010, 08:32
i found this

I am the Hammer.
I am the Hate.
I am the tip of the Spear wielded in His hands!

I am the Hammer!
I am the Hate!
I am the woes of Daemonkind!

I am the Hammer!
I am the Hate!
I am the END!

VonMalleus
06-05-2010, 16:50
Hi guys,
I was actually looking for the complete version of this myself (hence why I joined).
I have had a look at all the versions of it here, and put them all together. What do you think?

I am the Hammer,
I am the point of His Sword,
I am the tip of His Spear,
I am the mail about His Fist,
I am the flight of His Arrows,

I am the right hand of my Emperor,
I am the instrument of His will,
I am His Sword as He is my Armour,
I am His Wrath and He is my Zeal,
I am the Bane of His Foes and the Woes of the Treacherous,

Let us be His Shield,
Let us speak His Word as He fuels the Fire of Devotion,
Let us fight His Battles, as He fights the Battle at the end of time,
And let us join Him there, for Duty ends not in Death,
In Vengeance be true, In Valour be Strong,

I am the Hammer,
I am the Sword,
I am the Spear,
I am the Shield,
I am the soldier at the End of Time.

TheOniwaban
06-05-2010, 19:34
I'm was about to pull a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moment before someone finally typed in "I am the Hammer" "I am the Hate". Also noone seems to have put up "...from the frenzy, temptation, corruption and deceit, deliver us, our Emperor, that the enemy might face us in Your wrath..."

I've got here a quote from the Grey Knights novels, pretty much word for word.
This was used by Tancred IIRC before using the holocaust to break out of an ambush

'Brothers!
For vengeance! For purity! In hatred be strong, in valour be sure! In suffering! In glory! In war and abandonment!
Be thou my shield and my steed! Be thou retribution, and I shall be your hand in the darkness! And from the void shall rise only the pure!
Light from the shadows! Death from the dying! Vengeance for the lost!' "

Personally I like to mix and match my prayers of, ahem, hatred.

"I am the Hammer, I am the Hate!
I am the right hand of The Emperor, the instrument of His Will!
I am the Bane of His Foes And the Woes of the Treacherous!
I Am The END!"

I began counting the The Canticle of Absolution and discovered something rather interesting;
It indeed IS Six Hundred and Sixty Words, however I believe it may have been typed improperly.

Upon counting, I immediately noticed by the 3rd line of the first stanza that each line carried exactly six words, and I counted the stanza. 11 lines (66 words). So I counted the stanzas. There are ten. I checked, the first 9 stanzas each have 11 lines, the tenth has 12 lines. I assume for not having the last line run unusually off to the side, since it has 6 High-Gothic words (Et Imperator Invocato Diabolus Daemonica Exorcism! ) and I'm assuming if it were written with center-line justification, the final stanza would have only 11 lines.

So from here it was just a matter of counting the words in each line. To which I found...

Stanza 1, Line 6, reads;
"shall delve into dark shadows"
If you change it to
"shall delve in to dark shadows"
you get six words instead of five.

Stanza 6, Line 11;
"We are Bringers of Hope!"
Which I believe should be
"We are the Bringers of Hope!"
making the total 6 words.

These minute changes would make it a complete and true, 666 words.

Hrm, even with these changes, there is still only 66 words in the last stanza. So I'm stuck at 660 words, where are the last six? 66 words per stanza times 10 stanzas is 660, the last one Indeed needs 12 lines of 6 words. Then it would be a 72 word stanza.

Brother Kite
25-08-2010, 11:58
Quoted from the book of grey knights by Ben counter.

"I am the hammer,
i am the right hand of my emperor,
the instrument of his will,
the tip of his spear, the edge of his sword"

That's one, i have more in my car.
So i kinda try to remember them, could be a bit off.

"In vengeance be true, in valour be strong.
In vengeance be foremost!" The brother captains brothers reply, followed by a holocaust.

I could have remembered it wrong, i had it written down on a paper but packed them to bring them to the tournament i'm playing in.

I need to have the emperor with me, for what would i be without him?

An ork maybe.
(Ork and deamonhunter player)

i was looking through the omnibus page after page after page this prayer is the best i loved when tancred used it for the holocaust

Version done up for calligraphy practice.
This is a slight merge of the various forms that have appeared.

I'll dig out some other pics - the close up has the capital 'I' stencilled in with citadel paints.

wow amazing pictures

mob16151
25-08-2010, 22:13
i found this

I am the Hammer.
I am the Hate.
I am the tip of the Spear wielded in His hands!

I am the Hammer!
I am the Hate!
I am the woes of Daemonkind!

I am the Hammer!
I am the Hate!
I am the END!

This is far and away my favorite version.

Edit: This may get inked on me somewhere.

Ekfud
21-09-2010, 14:21
i was looking through the omnibus page after page after page this prayer is the best i loved when tancred used it for the holocaust

wow amazing pictures

Thx. Finally getting back to painting my GK terminators after...a long time. Should post some pics in the next month or so.

Brother Captain Lucian
21-09-2010, 15:13
Would it happen to be the prayer'ish thing on one of the last pages in the C:DH ?

"Praise the Emperor for his sacrifice, as He endures so shall we. We who are hunters of Deamons, shall strike in his name eternally."

"We the Order of the Hammer, shall delve into the Dark Shadows." Etc..

KingDeath
21-09-2010, 18:23
Meh, leave those fancy prayers to those who need them, for the truly faithfull require no empty words :D
But seriously, the "Hammer" prayer is just as awefull, shallow and downright idiotic as Counter's GK novels ( at least in my opinion ). Hey guys! Let us humanise the most inhuman of all marines! Yeah! Great idea! This way they won't become just like all those other 999 chapters...

Cristoph
20-11-2010, 03:43
I cannot confirm the accuracy of this but i was searching online for Grey Knight battle prayers and found this.

I AM THE HAMMER, I AM THE HATE
I AM THE WOES OF DAEMONKIND, I AM THE RIGHT HAND OF MY EMPEROR
THE INSTRUMENT OF HIS WILL, THE GAUNTLET ABOUT HIS FIST
THE TIP OF HIS SPEAR, THE EDGE OF HIS SWORD
FROM THE FRENZY, TEMPTATION, CORRUPTION, AND DECEIT
DELIVER US, OUR EMPEROR, THAT THE ENEMY MIGHT FACE US IN YOUR WRATH
I AM THE HAMMER, I AM THE SWORD IN HIS HAND
I AM THE POINT OF HIS SPEAR, I AM THE GAUNTLET ABOUT HIS FIST
I AM THE BANE OF HIS FOES AND THE WOES OF THE TREACHEROUS
I AM THE END

If this help anyone looking for Grey Knight scripture, sorry I can't give you anything more.

Woodsman
20-11-2010, 04:09
Hrm, even with these changes, there is still only 66 words in the last stanza. So I'm stuck at 660 words, where are the last six? 66 words per stanza times 10 stanzas is 660, the last one Indeed needs 12 lines of 6 words. Then it would be a 72 word stanza.

From which I draw the conclusion that Garro couldn't count and told them there were 666 words for the look of the thing, after all who bothers counting.;)

Moneyfingers
07-12-2013, 14:44

"Et Templars Mysteria aux Ordo Malleus"

The title itself provides the final 6 missing words after Justicarexxodus' work.

I should mention that I have been involved in the 40k universe for approximately 5 and a half days, albeit having done about 17 hours of reading during that time. So my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
I suppose, this thread being three years old, this makes me lame lol. But it not being a perfectly and mathematically accurate work troubled me deeply. So there you go.
666 words exactly, to beautifully complete the paradox of the only entity in the history of the 40k universe to never succumb to corruption.

Cheers
~$F

Harwammer
07-12-2013, 21:32
BOOM! Excellent first post solving a three year old riddle. This is an instance of a good necro! Enjoy the forum and the universe :).

MajorWesJanson
08-12-2013, 02:51
BOOM! Excellent first post solving a three year old riddle. This is an instance of a good necro! Enjoy the forum and the universe :).

Agreed. It may be a necro, but it is with extremely good reason. Welcome $F