PDA

View Full Version : Daemons or Witch Hunters?

Vexbane
25-04-2008, 19:14
I am trying to decide on my next army and I have finally got it down to the two major choices I am going for, the new Daemon army and Witch Hunters. I would like some advice and opinions on these armies. Obviously the Daemon army is not out yet, but any insight would be appreciated. I also will not be collecting the army until 5th edition comes out just to let you know. So witch army do you reccommend and why?

Cobalt Dragon
25-04-2008, 19:49
Before we can really answer this for you, you need to let us know a couple more things. First of all, what is it that attracts you to both of these armies? Play style? Models? Back story?

Also, you need to let us know what you want from the army itself, do you want a shooty Sisters force, or more of the crazy madmen in robes with chock-off chainsaws? Or, do you want the big daemon horde of nastiness?

You need to let us know what you want from the armies, and why you like them, then people will be able to help out a little more :)

Kahadras
25-04-2008, 20:10
How about Alien hunters for something different? An inquisitor, a retinue with an 'alien' theme, a unit of Deathwatch, Imperial storm troopers and inducted Guard. It can be prefectly legal if you use the Demonhunters codex and just add in the Deathwatch (rules can be found on the GW website).

Kahadras

Epicenter
25-04-2008, 21:35
If you're going for nothing but wins, play daemons. From all reports, that army is going to be "the one to beat" in 5th edition. This usually means look out for poorly balanced special rules and rampant undercosting of units.

Sisters, while still reasonably competitive, are an older codex (nowhere near as old as Space Wolves or Dark Eldar) and their points costs don't reflect a lot of the stuff that has been priced down since (ie; Rhinos). However, I personally believe the Sisters have a lot better looking models than the new daemons.

Vexbane
26-04-2008, 05:55
Before we can really answer this for you, you need to let us know a couple more things. First of all, what is it that attracts you to both of these armies? Play style? Models? Back story?

Also, you need to let us know what you want from the army itself, do you want a shooty Sisters force, or more of the crazy madmen in robes with chock-off chainsaws? Or, do you want the big daemon horde of nastiness?

You need to let us know what you want from the armies, and why you like them, then people will be able to help out a little more

Fair enough Cobalt Dragon. I am looking for a balanced force to be both competitive and fun to play. What draws me most to the Inquisition and the Daemons are the models and playstyle. I currently play Nids and want something different. As far as army lists not sure. For the Daemons I was thinking of using Tzeentch/Slaaneesh force and for the witch hunters, well honestly I am not sure.

@Epicenter. Thanks for the insight. I do realize that the sisters are an older codex and I hope they redo it sometime soon. What do you think of Tzeentch/Slaanesh?

Chem-Dog
26-04-2008, 09:22
Vexbane, as a 'Nid player, you might appreciate a swarm that doesn't die instantly Vs bolters, Sisters can do that for you ;) 20 models in a squad, 3+ save.
If you're thinking about Daemons, Slaanesh'll be fast with an entire list containing fleet troops (apparently a big issue in fith edition) all those lovely rending attacks too!!!

What armies do you face regularly?

misterboff
26-04-2008, 13:20
My wife collects Witch Hunters and I think that the models are great, but if you get an Exorcist it's a real pain to put together.

I really like the Fiend of Slaanesh models, and think that Flamers of Tzeentch sound very powerful, but I'm more of a Nurgle man myself.

Witch Hunters (SoB in particular) will probably be more expensive to collect than Daemons. There were rumours of plastic Storm Troopers a while back, so they shouldn't be too expensive if/when they come out.

If you're wanting a change, I'd say that Witch Hunters will be less like Tyranids, and you'll get plenty of shooting from them (which you probably won't with Tyranids/Daemons).

misterboff

darthpoke
26-04-2008, 15:16
I play the Sisters and chose the army because its not one commonly seen on the table.

In terms of play style, sisters are challenging because they have to get close but can't take close combat really well.

Personally, I love the options Faith points offer to a cunning player without being too powerful.

[Glory] Wulf
26-04-2008, 15:42
Ordo Hereticus player here. And I can recommend them. The Witch Hunters are a great army to play with, with multiple ways of playing them. You can either go pure Sisters of Battle. Or you could mix in an Inquisitor with a retinue and assassins. You could even ally with Space Marines or induct Imperial Guard. All this and still keep it competitive, with different tactics involved.

That said, Daemons have plenty of ways to play as well. Pure single-daemon armies, mixed daemons. I haven't played with/against them, but I'm sure there are enough competitive builds (though I heard some horror stories at my club as well).

Fluff-wise they're both at the other end of the spectrum, so it's your choice to go either good or evil. (Well, if you want your Inquisitor Lord to be evil, it can be ofcourse ;) ). I always had a thing for the Inquisition (reallife and fictional movies) anyways.

Killgore
26-04-2008, 22:21
with witch hunters you get to paint tanks, power armor and cloth and cool technological bits

daemons it will be lots of flesh, swords and icky sticky stuff... oh and the ocasional soul grinder

i would base my decision of what you can be bothered to paint a 1.5k army off

Filthy O'Bedlam
27-04-2008, 01:35
Witch Hunters are great. Some of the most beautiful models in the game, and quite competitive once you learn how to use them. (Whatever you do, remember to use your Faith Points) I do have a soft spot for demons, but I can't really comment on them because I haven't see the codex. The models look great though.

It really comes down to whether you want choppy, killy demons, or much more tactically balanced Witch Hunters. Oh yeah, plus with WH you get the Exorcist, probably the best tank in the game.

Cheers, Filthy

Vexbane
27-04-2008, 21:22
Well thank you for the support everyone. Could anyone offer me advice on a Tzeentch/Slannesh daemon combo army? For WH I was thinking of using some assassins and a more mobile force. I like the Vindicar(sp?) assassin I think he can be a real pain. Anyone use him?