PDA

View Full Version : When to Challenge

Malagant
27-04-2008, 04:46
I'm interested in reading about what conditions motivate you to issue a challenge.

Please share your criteria for determining if you want to issue a challenge, or just grind R&F.

Thanks!

Mercules
27-04-2008, 06:11
I do the best calculation in my head I can at the time for figuring out which will gain me the most CR and try to go by that. Since I play OK and have access to things like the Tenderizer Challenges are bread and butter for me to generate overkill CR.

I have also challenged an Aspiring Champion of Chaos with my Butcher recently. Situation:
KKKK
__BK
__MA

K=Chaos Knights
B=Butcher
M=Maneater
A=Aspiring Champion of Chaos

As you can see, by challenging I forced all 5 Knights to sit out the battle. It also meant my Maneater(providing precious Stubbornness to the Butcher) didn't end up slaughtered so that IF my Butcher did survive combat he wouldn't be run down. Laughably enough the Butcher didn't take a single wound but he did wound the AC(fluke of luck). I challenged again in the next round but sadly my luck failed me. I took a wound, and then failed the Stubborn(8) LD roll. If they had held that round too I would have had a rear charge on the Knights.

kormas
27-04-2008, 06:47
i play vc and my favorite tactic for my lord is when i am in contact with a unit i declare a challange to either get rid of the opponents champion/character or if they accept they will generaly verse a lord that re-rolls failed hits and gets an extra atack for every wound it causes:evilgrin:

The Red Scourge
27-04-2008, 07:07
Challenge, when you want to restrict enemy characters from killing your rank and file.

Accept challenges with your unit champs, when your heroes aren't up for it.

Challenge when your lone heroes are charged by big units to restrict the number of attacks.

Challenge when charged by a lone monster rider and hope static CR to beat him and to set up a flank/rear charge.

Thats about it.

Lordmonkey
27-04-2008, 07:48
#1 Bodyguard.

A Skeleton champion forms the personal bodyguard of my Vampire Lord general. If the Vampires unit receives a challenge, the champion steps up and dies for him. And then, when it's my turn, the champion is raised again to join the fight. And he takes another challenge, and dies again.

It's a good way to keep your general safe if you somehow end up in combat with a nasty thing. it also saves on R&F vs big Daemons and such.

#2: Wight King with Sword of Kings.

Challenge a charging unit of Empire cavalry, for example. The enemy character steps up, hits with str 6 (lance) and is surprised to find he is at 3+ to wound. With 3 wounds, the king usually wont die, and will then killing blow the character in response (especially when the unit has the banner of the barrows).

Leogun_91
27-04-2008, 08:32
I think a challenge is the coolest image in an army and I often challenge just beacouse itīs cool.

Avian
27-04-2008, 10:32
I have some thoughts on challenges in one of the tactics articles on my website: Challenges (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/dummies.php#ct_ch)

Kukkelukke
27-04-2008, 18:59
Well, as a WE player i like to use an Ancient with Annoyance.. Makes him perfect for hunting down any hero, whle i dont need to think about CR (stubborn)

-Kukkelukke

W0lf
27-04-2008, 20:28
Challenge when theirs a fragile but expensive character in a unit that your character cant dedicate atatcks against (placement etc). You often have to kill the unit champ first but ... :P

Crazy Harborc
28-04-2008, 00:58
There have not been many challenges issued around my table.......in years. I guess we players are overly cautious.

That said.....I would have to "know" the opponent was VERY likely to be stomped into the tabletop. I usually feel I can do more points worth of harm by having a character pound on the enemy unit instead of an enemy character.;)

Emeraldw
28-04-2008, 01:58
I like to challenge anytime I know I will win :D

But generally I don't challenge, I play wood elves and tend to be caster heavy so I just don't get into challenges.

One of my friends is a High Elf player and another is an Ogre player. Both are kitted out nicely for combat and challenge liberally and if I were them I would do so as well. The only time I wouldn't challenge was if there was something in the front rank I wanted to kill (like a normal wizard who is unlikely to have any kind of save) because if I challenge the opposing player will likely move them behind the line.

Also I'd never accept a challenge till I did the math in my head about the resulting combat resolution. In the case of a tenderizer Ogre lord, I would likely never accept as it is very easy for him to get that +5 overkill.

pkain762
29-04-2008, 22:39
@ emeraldw this is true, my bruiser didn't damage you during that challenge on sunday.... and then your unit killed off the bulls..... the bruiser ran and then was overran haha so challenges don't always work when you want them to

but yeah as a ogre player.... i always challenge when i see a nice squishy target.... emeraldw and i played against tomb kings and VC and i challenged a Vampire lord with my bruiser with a tenderizer (tenderizer causes d3 wounds for every unsaved wound fyi) so yeah i killed the vampire lord in a challenge and that made the battle..... that and emeraldw's treeman shooting the tomb prince to smitherines haha

kain

xragg
30-04-2008, 00:05
I like to challenge anytime I know I will win :D

The only time I wouldn't challenge was if there was something in the front rank I wanted to kill (like a normal wizard who is unlikely to have any kind of save) because if I challenge the opposing player will likely move them behind the line.

Well, you choose which character the refusing person must retire from combat. So unless the wizard is the only character capable of accepting, challenge away.

Ipeninrod
30-04-2008, 02:03
Well I take different tactic. This works well with HE but it work with any army with decent champions. I use a Champion fighty character combo. I only challenge with the higher strength champ or hero. The other which I gear up to kill rank and file keeps there trap shut.
Example a Prince with the Blade of Sea Gold teamed up with a White Lion Champ. White Lion Champ Issues the Challenges. Draw out either a fighty Character or Champ. The Prince then chops up unit. The White Lion Champ either dies or survives. Hopefully there are not enough enemy troops to do any amount of damage.

prince_dios
30-04-2008, 02:10
i play vc and my favorite tactic for my lord is when i am in contact with a unit i declare a challange to either get rid of the opponents champion/character or if they accept they will generaly verse a lord that re-rolls failed hits and gets an extra atack for every wound it causes:evilgrin:

That's probably what the other player wants. Your vampire killing one guy instead of a whole rank of troops.

pkain762
01-05-2008, 12:55
not going to lie... my bruiser has slayed a couple of vampires with ease in my couple of games against VC..... the tenderiser does many of damage hahaha (every wound causes D3 Wounds) it's lovely

kain

fubukii
01-05-2008, 16:25
i almost always challenge with my clanrat champion, especially if theirs a really killy character in the unit i am fighting against. I figure sure either way they will rack up combat rez vs me, but this way at least i keep my rank and file models.

badgeraddict
01-05-2008, 16:33
When playing Bretonnians, I only issue a challenge if I know I can win.

On the flip side with them, I always accept the challenge because;
A. I keep the ward save for the unit.
B The ward save never lets me down, either saving the champ or minimising on overkill.