PDA

View Full Version : The best trolls?

mr.silly
27-04-2008, 14:54
I want to start a troll army, does anyone know from experience which is better all around(pointswise, stats, etc.), the mordor or isengard troll? and is the named Arnor chieftan - his name escapes me atm - any good?

TY

Mr Feral
27-04-2008, 15:28
Buhrdur? Him and a couple of Cave Trolls supported by Orcs would be hilarous to play with. There's no point playing with just Trolls, because you need numbers. Alos have a couple of cheap Orc / Goblin Captains to call Herioc Moves / Combats for the Trolls to maximize damage.

Mars
27-04-2008, 17:28
Mordor Trolls are obviously the best, although Isengard Trolls are pretty good with their D8.

Stone Trolls hit hard enough, and have the tactical advantage of a smaller base.
They are however expensive for D6, and vulnerable to magic.

Combined Nazgul to boost their effectiveness (Terror, weaken enemy heroes), and Orcs/Morcs as a screen to get them into combat, they'll be able to make quite a punch.

A good opponent however will just keep them bussy and concentrate on killing the rest of your army, since you're investing so much points in a few models.

Mr Feral
27-04-2008, 18:29
I think I'm biased because I think the Buhrdur model is excellent, but his Might points come in very handy for Heroic Combats and the such. My suggestion is an Arnor army lead by him with a couple of appropriately painted Cave Trolls and some Orcs, then you're sorted. (if I could afford it, it's a force I'd like to do one day)

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
27-04-2008, 19:25
OK this might be kind of cheaty but half trolls numbers and their as hard as nails but for an actual troll army you can't beat morder trolls led by a chieftain

stonehorse
29-04-2008, 19:47
I'm working on a 500pts Troll force, for a laugh.

Mordor Troll Chieftain
Mordor Troll with War Drum
Mordor Troll
Mordor Troll

Not many figures, but not many things can go toe to toe with a Mordor Troll, especially when he's backed up by a War Drum.

neXus6
30-04-2008, 02:09
Buhrdur? Him and a couple of Cave Trolls supported by Orcs would be hilarous to play with. There's no point playing with just Trolls, because you need numbers. Alos have a couple of cheap Orc / Goblin Captains to call Herioc Moves / Combats for the Trolls to maximize damage.

And don't forget the compulsory Shade.
Shades are *********** horrible. :p

Joewrightgm
30-04-2008, 02:26
If we're talking about sheer 'crunch' factor, Mordor Troll. Big, tough, can turn most named good heros into a fine mash. All for 100pts.

Chieftains are a close second, if only for their (much) higher point cost. Sorry, but for that extra 40pts, I can get an unnamed captain, who's not as obvious a target.

Nothing's funnier than the look of your opponent when you call that first heroic action with a chieftain.

neXus6
30-04-2008, 02:42
I'm probably going to make a couple more Mordor Trolls when the Plastic Trolls come out, bring me up to 3 and a chieftan. And not only cause I want the plastic Isenguard Troll shields for my chaos ogres. :p

Chieftan, 2/3 Trolls, Shade and a few orcs should be about 600 ish maybe a bit less, and you can always sub a troll for an extra pile of orcs if you think you'll need it. :D