PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Warriors

doghouse
27-04-2008, 16:55
It's been a while since I posted here on Warseer so I figured it's time to start a new army (No pointing out the obvious here about my unfinished logs please...I am trying to get back into the swing of things....honest! :D).

The Mantis Warriors

The Mantis Warriors are possibley one of my all time favourite Chapters. For those that are not in the know they were involved in the Badab war and chose the wrong side. For their part in the rebellion they were forced to forfeit their homeworld and embark on a hundred year penitence crusade, a crusade that in the current timeline is drawing to an end.

A while back I developed a thing for Battle of Macragge snap-fix marines and tried to put together an army of Space Sharks but soon lost interest. I recently came across these marines and decided that I'd have a bash at remaking them in the image of the Mantis Warriors. Most of my marines have been predominantly dark colours in the past and I've been itching to try something more colourful for a change of pace so redoing my Mantis Warriors army seemed like an ideal solution.

The impression I've always gotten with Macragge marines is that people don't really like them. Maybe it's the limited pose, the smaller size but generally they seem to be a last resort in players armies which is a shame as they are really nice minis once you play around with them a bit and dirt cheap.
I've heard rumours that the new 40k starter set will include marines that are rescupts of these guys in which case I'll definately be getting some of them to use along with the snap-fix dreadnaught and terminators to accompany the force.

WIP Third Company Captain

This guy is made from the missle launcher marine from the BoM set. I removed the head and missiles replacing the helmet with one of the bare heads from the Dark Angels sprue and removed the hair. The sword is from a terminator sergeant and the storm bolter from commander sprue.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture084.jpg

WIP First Squad

I've got around fourty or fifty marines lying about in my bits box, twenty or so of which have had their helmets replaced with the Forge World Mk IV helmets. I'll be painting these with Goblin Green like these test minis below.
If I can get the incentive to get an army done of these guys then I'm aiming for an all snap-fix force, except the vehicles of course (I seriously want a Vindicator!).
The aim is to get together a table top standard army so that I can start gaming again in time for 5th ed.
I'm limiting the pallette to five main colours, green, yellow, black, gold and red. The squad markings will be in yellow.
I'm sticking to a desert base colour to make the green pop out.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture082.jpg

Test Standard BoM Marine

This just a basic BoM marine with very little conversion work. It's the flamer guy with a simple weapon swop, simpley because as far the models go this is the best tactical in the set and the one I'm most reluctant to convert.
This guy is just a test to see if they will fit in with the other Mk IV conversions.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture083.jpg

G.Hawke
27-04-2008, 16:58
don't suppose your a fan of CS goto by chance? they have quite a bit of story to them in one of his novels...

I am hyperly excitedlyiddle for this project! Mantis warriors were always one of my fav chapters...

Sod subscription,
*gets out tent and sets up house in this thread*

Hawke

dr.oetk3r
27-04-2008, 17:20
Whoah yeah, Mantis Warriors!

doghouse
27-04-2008, 17:21
CS goto? I can't say I've heard of his novels, I didn't know they published some Mantis Warrior novels. Might have to track them down. Thanks for the tip mate. :)

My plan at the moment is just for a fairly codex chapter at the moment. Other than their part in the Badab war and their penitence crusade I wasn't aware that they had more background material.
The way I see them is that they are attempting to redeem themselves for their actions in the war so hunting Red Corsairs in the Maelstrom might be a good starting theme.

I'm keeping it simple for the time being with an army of tactical marines led by a command squad.
I'm using the Dark Angels codex as a rough guide as to what to expect from the new codex in regards to squad options, etc.

Not sure what direction to take any other elements like veterans or Terminators for example just yet. Maybe just do the standard white helmet to represent them or play around with a variation of the yellow uniform used in the Tranquillity campaign.
I'm not entirely sure if they are allowed to recruit so Scouts maybe out of the picture which is a shame.

G.Hawke
27-04-2008, 17:23
fluff wise no, they can't whilst on penetant crusade... however the crusade is only 100 years long, so in theory they could continue the crusade after that time has elapsed... or it could be early in the crusade when they would have had a small number milling around from before the babad war.

hawke

doghouse
27-04-2008, 17:31
Hmm, that's not a bad idea. I hadn't concidered setting them at the beginning of the crusade. Thanks mate! :)

G.Hawke
27-04-2008, 17:33
no worries doghouse, besides think of all the modelling possibilities of still haggard armour, fresh bionics and other war related stuff!

hawke

Brother-Captain Antilles
27-04-2008, 18:10
CS goto? I can't say I've heard of his novels, I didn't know they published some Mantis Warrior novels. Might have to track them down. Thanks for the tip mate. :)

Warrior Brood is the particular Goto novel, the first in his Deathwatch series.

If you can get past some elements of the book, namely the prose (though its not all bad despite what some may say), there's a fair bit about the Mantis Warriors in there, fighting against the Tyranids during part of their crusade of redemption.

I wouldnt bother with Warrior Coven though...simply a dreadful book...but at least no braying Tyranids in there :p (once you read Goto, you'll understand... :p)

doghouse
27-04-2008, 18:18
Thanks for the info guys.

I just read the first part of Warrior Brood from the BL website and all I can say is that I found it annoying the amount of times that he used the word "Mantis" in a single chapter.
It was the "Mantis marine" this and "the Mantis marine" that, it's like enough already you've established that they're Mantis Warrriors. :rolleyes:
Don't think I'll be getting that one. :D

Lavadude360
27-04-2008, 18:49
don't suppose your a fan of CS goto by chance?

C'mon we all know they don't exist.:D

great work as usual doghouse!

geraint
27-04-2008, 19:10
damn u , u beat me to it , i was about to do the same thing , but because of warrior brood not because of the badab wars , funny how u didnt hear bout warrior brood .

doghouse
27-04-2008, 21:24
Cheers. :)

geraint: I never heard of the books untill G.Hawke mentioned them as the only 40k novels I really read are the heresy stuff.
The Badab wars were the first proper look at other marine chapters other than the ones in the Rogue Trader book, before that there were always stupid arguements about how you had could only field "proper" colour schemes from the book and not DIY.
It was the first important glimpse into the Astartes as a whole.

Quick update

I now have four guys on the go.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture085.jpg

Some serious speed painting later and the fourth member of the force is underway. I've got to clean him up a little on the shoulder pad but I'm confident that I can knock these guys out fairly quickly now, still have to do various bits on all of them like add icons, battle damage, finish their bolters, detailing and stuff.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture088.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture089.jpg

The Wildchild
28-04-2008, 12:47
What an ace log! I've never really read that much about the Badab wars...but this has inspired me to go look it up.

Best of luck!

Sister_Sin
28-04-2008, 14:46
Excellent work! I always liked them, even did up a few experimental RTB01 Marines in their camo scheme but never went further than that; the Salamanders have always been my first and foremost.

Have you considered doing some scouts in that interesting camo scheme of theirs? Has that sort of dark yellow background and the green leaf splinter sort of style. Might make a nice homage to those days.

Keep up the fine work!

Sister Sin

Apologist
28-04-2008, 15:15
Clever headswaps have added a lot of dynamism to some otherwise all-tto common models – what a stroke of genius!

MIGHTYPanhead
28-04-2008, 16:24
woo, this thread is going to be awesome!

5 reasons:

#1: Mantis warriors are awesome
#2: Badab war is awesome
#3: Mk4 Helmets are awesome
#4: Desert bases are awesome
#5: This is the first time I've seen mantis warriors that don't blatantly use mantis iconography everywhere.

I liked the space sharks too, but these are much cooler imo, great chapter choice :)

Triggerdog
28-04-2008, 16:58
there isnt enough Badab here on warseer. Nice green too.

synapse
28-04-2008, 17:16
werent these the space sharks?

they look very much like them if theyre not!

so you just couldnt stay away could you? nice to have you back!

EDIT: so they are, silly me!

Marovian
28-04-2008, 17:29
very nice Mantis warriors, nice crisp green.

doghouse
30-04-2008, 21:36
Thanks guys! :)

Sister_Sin: Yeah I know the one you mean the Tranquility campaign camo I think it was. Definately look good on scout fatigues though, I may have to set the army either early in their crusade or during the Badab war itself so I can include scouts.

synapse: Thanks mate! :)
Yeah they were Space Sharks but the layered colour scheme was just too time consuming. These guys can be painted really quickly so I should get the army together I hope. :D

G.Hawke
30-04-2008, 21:44
lookign great doghouse!

bit light for my liking, but ace none the less

hawke

DonKarst0n
30-04-2008, 21:49
Yeah the Mantis Warriors have a nice background story and now a nice force.
Can we get some shots of those shoulder pads?
I believe you painted those insignias with freehand which is quite impressive.

Tiller5
30-04-2008, 22:40
Great work as always doghouse! Your name is always a synonym for greatness when it comes to modelling!

ghostmaker12
30-04-2008, 23:25
Doghouse you are my hero for 4 reasons

1) you inspired me to test my GS skills and improve them
2) you are an excellent painter
3) made so much sense when you converted the snap together marines that i actually took them out of my bits box and did a little converting.
4) ive tried mantis warriors and have failed but you make them so HxC 2 teh Xtremez

Welcome back! *singing welcome back song out loud*

doghouse
01-05-2008, 19:57
Thanks guys!

DonKarst0n: Sure, as soon as I get the chance I'll post some shots for you. :)

ghostmaker12: Thanks mate, always nice to know that my stuff inpires people to try something new and improve their skills. :)

Just a quick update...

I'm going to use these guys I made for another army that I started for the Mantis Warriors.

The first, following the snap-fix theme, is made from an old plastic scout. I've revamped the model by mixing in parts of the current plastic scouts to update it it.
The second will form the basis of a veteran sergeant in Mk III armour. I've decided to set the army at the begining of the Badab war, the veteran squad will be still in the Tranquility Campaign colour scheme having just returned and not had time to repaint their armour. I figure that it'll make for a more interesting veteran unit.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture090.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture091.jpg

More at the weekend...

G.Hawke
01-05-2008, 20:08
looking great doghouse, i look forwards to more

hawke

Firebird
01-05-2008, 20:27
About dem Exorcists, mang? ;)

Hermanesq
01-05-2008, 22:13
Heya doghouse,

and glad to see you back in the fraeternity, after last thing i saw from your workbench was you slipping off into the sunset.

Since your gonna get asked this sooner rather than later, thought i'd go and ask myself,

whats the recipe for the green, simply goblin highlighted with something, or have you gone with a darker colour for the basecoat? Never can tell what with light tones and the like, but looking good, and i've got some previous mantis warrior models i've built here before that im tempted to pick up again.

Cheers,

Chris W

doghouse
02-05-2008, 17:53
G.Hawke: Thanks mate. :)

Firebird: I will get back to them but for the time being I need an army I can game with. Once these guys are up and running I can do the Exorcists at my leisure. :)

Hermanesq:Yeah, I'm trying to get back into it albeiot slowly. The armour was painted Goblin Green over a black undercoat, highlight with a 25/75 mix of skull white/goblin green and fine highlight with a 50/50 mix of the same. Shade with watered down Dark Angels green and then outline the armour with watered down green ink. :)

Hermanesq
02-05-2008, 23:12
Doghouse :-

Ahh, cool. Had a go of my own version, and rounded off the colours slightly differently. Gretchin green base over black, fairly liberal highlight of goblin green, washed over with a waterered down mix of catachan/black.

doesnt have quite as dark shading, but quick and looks good enough for me in the short term, and as a break from all these pesky guard im doing atm. Definatly considering painting up atleast a squad of Mantis Warriors, as you say, their so quick todo its scary.

Roll on the next update mate, looking forward to it, especially the chance of some vets or termies.

doghouse
03-05-2008, 16:38
Terminators will probably have to wait untill the new starter set comes out, I must be the only one praying that the marines inside are the BoM ones. :D

I made a mistake when I started my Mantis Warriors as I originally intended to use Snot Green for the main colour and it wasn't untill I was well into the fourth marine that I noticed I'd used the wrong colour. :D

Not sure what direction to go with the Terminators when I do get them though, I may have to make a test figure and play around with some ideas.
I've got some background stories to help me flesh out the army a little more as well I'll be adding to the log at some point.
Definately setting the army at the begining of the Badab War now.

doghouse
04-05-2008, 12:59
Update time...

WIP Second Squad Sergeant

This guy is a bit of an experiment not only at speed painting and converting but also whether or not a squad of BfM marines will work as part of the army.
I've carried the theme of the BfM marines over by having the sergeatn face forward. I prefer the side on approach myself as it makes the models look like they are actually fighting in battle and look less static.
I may convert a few helmets for this second squad but I don't want to get too side tracked.
I've just basecoated the base snakebite leather and will be going over this with brown ink before drybrushing begins. I've still got all the metallics to do on the marine just yet though and some tidying up and detailing.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture059-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture060-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture055-2.jpg

Here is a shot of the rest of the first squad undercoated to show that I am working hard on this army and not getting distracted.
I'd love to do an army of just these guys but they are a little more time consuming to make.
The third squad will be made the same way though or maybe a mix of both styles.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture058-1.jpg

doghouse
04-05-2008, 13:25
The Tranquility Campaign Veterans

Other than the image in the Warhammer 40,000 compendium there isn't any information surrounding the campaign itself, it was just used as an alternative colour scheme for the Mantis Warriors.
This gives me a bit of room to play around with the concept a little in regards to making a veteran squad for the army. The idea that I'm working on at the moment is that the Badab Wars are begining to take shape during the final days of the Tranquility campaign. The yet un-named Captain has been withdrawn from the conflict early leaving elements of the third company to mop up remaining resistance on Tranquility. I'm thinking of Orks being the most likely bad guys of the campaign itself.
When the remaining troops return to the homeworld they are informed of a plot by the Adeptus Mechanicus to undermine the independance of the Astartes. This is of course a lie and the chapter has been tricked into siding with the rebels.
As the war is now underway the veterans don't have time to ceremonially repaint their armour and enter battle wearing the campaign colours.

The Original Colour Scheme

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Mantis_Tranquility_Campaign_Sniper_.jpg

This is the original colour scheme of the campaign. The idea back in the rogue trader days was that camoflage was an option for the Astartes and their are examples for both vehicles and Astartes variant colour schemes of several chapters.
Todays take on the Astartes is somewhat different however, back in the day they weren't the pious warriors that we know and love today.
So expanding on this theme I'm going to attempt a reverse colour scheme for the Tranquility veterans, so the green will become yellow and the yellow will become green if you see what I mean.
More recent examples of a chapters doing this can be seen in the Land Raider article in White Dwarf where the Imperial Fists reverse the colours of a Land Raider for fighting on a night world and the Raptors changing their colours to green for jungle fighting.
The key here is going to be to maintain the colours without making them look out of place.

ghostmaker12
04-05-2008, 14:01
hey doghouse have you read Warrior Brood yet? its book based on DW but theres a a bunch of stuff about Mantis Warriors. Also it'll give you some nice fluff and some cool characters.

doghouse
04-05-2008, 21:18
I haven't read it yet but may ahve to check it out at some point.

Right update time...

Here is the first finished Mantis Warrior. He's not great but like I say I'm aiming for a table top standard rather than fine art.
I've weathered the armour and added damage to grubby him up using simple wash techniques to allow me to get the job done quickly.
I've also decided that the best way to go with these guys is to have a mix of standard and converted models in the same squad to allow the BfM marines to blend in.
I could have probably done a much better job if I'd taken my time but I need an army so I can get some games in.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture061-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture064-3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture063-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture062-2.jpg

doghouse
04-05-2008, 21:25
Speed painting Doghouse style...

I'm using a technique that I developed years ago when I actually used to get armies finished. I drybrushed the basecoat over a black undercoat and then moved onto the next one and so on. By the time the last one was done the first model was dry so I went over it with a second dry brush to build the basecoat up further. I did this for two reasons, firstly it picks out all the details so I can see what I'm doing and secondly it acts like a foundation so that I can apply the proper basecoat to the model easily over the black.
Next I applied the proper base coat and then finally cleaned up the black areas with a fresh coat of black paint.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture066-2.jpg

Here's the guys nearest to completion and a shot of the troops in various stages.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture065-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture067-2.jpg

doghouse
04-05-2008, 21:37
One last quick update...

Here are the first two members of a Devastators squad made from the Missile Launcher marine and a the other being made from a BfM sergeant.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh138/baneofangels123/Picture141.jpg

DonKarst0n
04-05-2008, 22:18
Even with your speed painting technique they look very good. Imho you have found the right mix between quality and saving time.
I for myself haven't found this yet.:rolleyes:

ghostmaker12
04-05-2008, 22:26
Looks awesome Doghouse. If you want to stick with fluff i'd choose the trait disadvantage that only allows you to have one squad of terminators because you have to remember that they are on a pentient crusade and haven't been able to recruit any new marines.

doghouse
04-05-2008, 23:29

DonKarst0n: I used to knock out armies by the bucket load, the fastest was a 1500pts White Scorpions marine force in a week.
I tend to get bogged down with conversions though.

ghostmaker12: I'd concidered that but I'm setting the army during the Badab Wars so that I can include terminators and scouts.
So at this time they'd be busy fighting the Fire Hawks.

ghostmaker12
04-05-2008, 23:42
ahhh makes sense, so thier going to be fighting along side Huron Blackheart and the Astral Claws

doghouse
04-05-2008, 23:46
Yeah pretty much, although they fought in the shipping lanes attacking Imperial vessels for most of the war.

Hmm, might be an excuse for me to make a pre-chaos Huron... :D

Levett
04-05-2008, 23:49
By looking at the back marines hidden behind the completed ones, are you drybrushing on your goblin green beforehand? then tidying up via normal stroke?

Good progress though, keep it up :)

Levett
04-05-2008, 23:50
nevermind, ignore me, i should pay more attention and read the entire thread :P

ghostmaker12
04-05-2008, 23:51
if you do i bet it would be sick, also i would think they would do a little fighting back on their home planet.

doghouse
05-05-2008, 00:05
Levett: No problem mate, don't worry about it. :)

ghostmaker12: Good point. Once I've got the HQ and two troops choices out of the way I'll have a bash at making Huron and maybe even a squad of Astral Claws. :)

ghostmaker12
05-05-2008, 00:07
that'll look nice. also i took your Mantis tutorial and i'm gonna paint a squad up to go around with my Red Scorpions. I figure one job the emperor might give some other chapters is to keep a close eye on the Mantis Warriors and the other legions that were forgiven.

Hermanesq
05-05-2008, 01:07
)
Once I've got the HQ and two troops choices out of the way I'll have a bash at making Huron and maybe even a squad of Astral Claws. :)

Oi,

stop that, stop that right now.

We all know what your like doghouse, getting sidetracked, your like me, so we'll call a halt to that right now, no huron, no astral claws... not until we see atleast a 1k army finished, done and dusted...

Its for your own good son, your own good...

Of course, I doubt anyone would complain about seeing huron and co, but still... control the urges... lol

Chris

Lost Egg
05-05-2008, 10:29
Nice work Doghouse. I'm loving the retro scout! I love how you manage to get the green looking so smooth.

HN

doghouse
05-05-2008, 10:49
ghostmaker12: Sounds like a good idea mate.

Hermanesq: Sorry boss! :eek:
As tempting as it is to make Huron it'll have to wait untill the new starter set comes out at least as I'm running low on Macragge marines.
Don't worry though I'm sticking to the squads at the moment, I've even put off converting a command squad with company banner to focus on the job at hand.

Hairy Norseman: Thanks mate! :)

Mr Feral
05-05-2008, 11:25
Wow, this project is too good for me to handle!

The painting and conversions are simple yet striking and effective. You must do a version of Lufgt Huron and some of his Astral Claws now you've mentioned it. I'm glad to see more Badab-related shenanigans on Warseer (I'm a Big Red Corsair fan myself).

*subscribed*

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
05-05-2008, 12:37
You sir, pwn

Nice Mantis warriors, i really like the theme :D

Supremearchmarshal
05-05-2008, 13:30
Great stuff! I think you really prove the way a few simple conversions coupled with a smooth paint job can really make an army stand out.
Bonus points for using an obscure chapter!

doghouse
05-05-2008, 22:22

Yeah it's amazing how versatile the Macragge marines can be when you use a little imagination.
I'll definately be doing more Badab War stuff as I'm loving this army and want to branch out. I may have to make a loyalist chapter to oppose them when these guys are done,. I've always had a thing for the Howling Griffons and Space Sharks but I might do one of the more obscure chapters.
Huron is definately a must though as he's such a cool character and I relish the challenge of making a pre-chaos version.

Update...

The second marine is now done and the rest of the squad is well underway, looks like I may actually finish an army after all. :D

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture069-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture068-2.jpg

ghostmaker12
05-05-2008, 22:56
if your looking at obscure chapters take a swing at the Star Phantoms they seem like they would look cool as an opponent and you really dont see much or any of them.

G.Hawke
05-05-2008, 23:00
loving the chapter detailing!

MANTIS FTPWN!

hawke

Vasteye
05-05-2008, 23:40
firstly - glad to see you back doghouse

secondly - awesome log, i've had a thing for mantis warriors for ages. At one point i even tried to work out how i could do a chaotic army of possessed mantis marines (hello tyranid sprues)

Really liking the green, as has been said its very smooth

from what fluff i have read of them, it seems that 'tranquility sniper squads' are squads of marines with sniper rifles (for pinning large groups of orcs). Now, thats a cool idea, even if it is unworkable legally. unless ... a marine sniper rifle - missile launcher stats? dev squad? :evilgrin:

oh and also, i believe post badab war 'preying mantae' squads were furious veteran assault squads used to hunt renegade mantis marines. I somehow imagined power swords fitted into greaves under their hands (ala preying mantis)

subscribed!

Ravenheart
05-05-2008, 23:45
Nice to see someone doing one of the lesser known chapters. And doing it so very good to boot. Keep it up, doghouse!

Levett
06-05-2008, 00:03
Gorgeous Doghouse, i've followed your work for a long time, and after reading a few months back on B&C that you might quit... i nearly had a heart attack, it would of been a shame to lose you from the hobby.

After seeing this though, it appears your now fully settled back in from your moment of heresy... great stuff bud :)

One last thing... i will visit your house and murder your models with an army of small goats if you dont do one of your fantastic GS / converted marines for your Mantis Warrior HQ :)

doghouse
06-05-2008, 17:50

ghostmaker12:Of the loyalist chapters present I'd probably go for one of the following; Fire Hawks, Minotaurs, Sons of Medusa, Marines Errant or Space Sharks. I'd like to do Howling Griffons but they are a fairly popular army.
I'm not sure that I've heard of the Star Phantoms, the name rings a bell but other than that I'm not sure what they look like.

Vasteye: That's a really good idea for the Sniper Squad, I may have to use that! Thanks mate! :)

Levett: No pressure then... :eek:
I'm slowly getting back into things now but seriously trying not to get side tracked. I don't know about a serious convertion for the Mantis Warriors HQ but I will definately be doing one for Huron. :)

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
06-05-2008, 18:37
I like the idea of 'preying mantae' assault squads actually, conversions aplenty perhaps?
Please do them :D

Inquisitor Konig
06-05-2008, 19:09
As usual very nice. I am really surprised how well those simple models came out. I am really enjoying this log NTM I have been wanting to make a Mantis Warriors army of my own for some time now, except post Badab War.

SJPiglet
06-05-2008, 19:36
Looking really good, great painting skills.

Well done.

Will definitely follow this log,

Keep it coming.

Vasteye
06-05-2008, 20:04
Vasteye: That's a really good idea for the Sniper Squad, I may have to use that! Thanks mate! :)

*faints at the praise*

cheers. actually thinking about it, a lascannon kinda makes more sense for a marine sniper rifle (huge calibre bullet, enhanced vision picks out that exposed ammo magazine...) but a missile launcher stat could give the freaky ammo options. Hell, if we're going down that avenue any of the heavy weapons would work (heavy bolter profile? less one well placed shot and more aimed death from afar :D)

synapse
06-05-2008, 21:45
Thanks guys! :)I'd like to do Howling Griffons but they are a fairly popular army.

dont touch my griffons Doghouse! ive got something planned for them! ;)

doghouse
06-05-2008, 22:13
Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood: I'll see what I can do mate, I might have to use the same blades that I used on the wrist of my Captain.

SJPiglet: Thanks mate. :)

Vasteye: I think you're right mate, either the lascannon or missile launcher would be best. I've got an interesting idea for incorporating the sniper rifles into the army, I'll post a picture asap. Thanks again for the idea mate. :)

synapse: Right so Griffons it is then... :evilgrin:
Nah, I did Howling Griffons back in 3rd ed and want something different. I'm tempted to do Fire Hawks but that can wait for now. :)

doghouse
07-05-2008, 22:36
Update

This is an old raider that I've dug out and am reworking for the army. I thought I could get away with just repainting it but as I've been applying the basecoat I've noticed a number of flaws and shoddy work that needs repatching.
I'll be going over the hull cleaning up the damaged areas, straightening others and generally revamping the model befoer continuing the paint work.
It was originally intended to get away from the newer sci-fi look that the marines got when they re-did the range, the sponsons are from an old WW I tank kit.
I'm pretty sure that I can salvage the model with some GS work.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture071-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture072-2.jpg

doghouse
07-05-2008, 23:17
My other option is to rework this monster that I started for my Dark Angels army some time ago but it might be too gothic.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture074-2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture075-2.jpg

Gonfrask
08-05-2008, 00:08
There is nothing "to gothic" in warhammer 40K :P

ghostmaker12
08-05-2008, 02:41
...i guess it could be cool if you could work it in. like have like previous chapter members names written on it like a giant memorial wall. also just to let you know the mantis warriors are known for long flowing black hair.

byram430
08-05-2008, 04:17
Dg Your Back!!!!!

Ive Missed Your Work Dude!!!

Sekhmet
08-05-2008, 04:22
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but.. are you gonna give a multi-laser to one of your marines?

ORKY ARD BOYZ
08-05-2008, 10:43
Is the colour scheme really just goblin green? I can figure out the lenses and the gold but not the yellow. What colour are the highlights for the green?

Whenever I paint with goblin green it looks too bright but your marines look ‘bright’ while ‘dark’ at he same time. Am I making sense?

ghostmaker12
08-05-2008, 11:49
Sekhmet has a good point. you could model a multi laser on a marine and have it be a "counts as" lascannon, or if people really dont care have it actually be a multilaser using the guard multilaser data.

The Wildchild
08-05-2008, 13:18
The cathedral LR is absolutely amazing, just how I imagine a LR should be...a mobile shrine to the imperium...what an ace concept!!!! Amazing work bud! Really, really amazing!!!!

synapse
08-05-2008, 14:34
i prefer the forst idea for the raider - the second 'tracked church' seems a bit OTT, certainl for my tastes.

i like the look of the other one, and thought the sponsons were the FW ones until i read the post (yes i do read the posts!) lol

Vasteye
08-05-2008, 18:18
I'd give my vote to the first one as well.

Firebird
08-05-2008, 18:46
Gothic Land Raider is too Gothic for its own good. I can't imagine a tank built for the purpose of being a veritable fortress walking with a thing like that on its back. The weight alone should be crippling...

Supremearchmarshal
08-05-2008, 21:07
Gothic Land Raider is too Gothic for its own good. I can't imagine a tank built for the purpose of being a veritable fortress walking with a thing like that on its back. The weight alone should be crippling...

Well the SoB Excorcist has a church Organ on its back, so it wouldn't be that far off...

It would look unique, though it certainly wouldn't be easy to transport the model!

Firebird
08-05-2008, 23:41
The Church Organ is actually the launcher. And like Whirlwinds, Exorcists aren't front line units, they're support ones. They can afford the cut in speed that an assault unit like a Land Raider, which is also a troops carrier, can't.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
08-05-2008, 23:59
Doghouse never ceases to amaze...lovely Mantis Warriors, these. Nice to see deserving Marines getting some love.

Supremearchmarshal
09-05-2008, 00:01
@ firebird: Well to be honest 40k models are doing all sorts of unrealistic stuff - running into battle with a book strapped to their shoulder, or wearing a large fur cloak, or monk robes over their armour, or fighting almost naked etc. so IMO it wouldn't stick out that much when you think about it. Still, each to his own - after all if you think something would be unrealistic there's always the option of not using something or converting it. It's just that I think rule of cool stands above realism in 40k.

Firebird
09-05-2008, 00:12
This isn't about stupid appendages in characters, it's about strapping a building onto a tank. It's a silly concept and looks simply silly. No matter what you think, a Land Raider with a Church on it just doesn't happen. Nevermind that Marines aren't even that religious. I could see a tank in the service of the more religious orders be modified to have several allusions to their faith, maybe even a pulpit or platform for a preacher, but Chaplains don't preach from high above, they preach with their Crozius and by kicking ass in the name of the Lord in the midst of their flock.

Shad0wblade
09-05-2008, 08:33

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture069-2.jpg

hey, where do u can buy this heads..?? i like them :)

and how much they cost?

Lost Egg
09-05-2008, 09:28
Doghouse, how do you do the weathering? It looks amazing.

HN

Shad0wblade
09-05-2008, 09:35
what is the website of them.. i come from holland :P

Burnthem
09-05-2008, 09:37
Shad0wblade - those heads are available here - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_RED_SCORPIONS.html

Shad0wblade
09-05-2008, 10:47
but thats a upgrade kit,.. and than u have shouder pats, etc. and i would only that heads..

doghouse
09-05-2008, 17:54
Cheers guys! :)

byram430: It's good to be back mate and great to hear from you again. :)

Sekhmet: I'm not sure I understand the multi-laser reference mate.

Firebird: Think of this tank like a venerable dreadnought. For thousands of years it has been embelished with honours time and time again untill it no-longer resembles it's original form.
I admit that this is gothic taken to the extreme but it is plausible. It's not so much a building stuck on a tank as a tank evolved into a shrine.
The core elements of the design are pre-heresy in origin so it's probably around ten thousand years have passed since it entered service having passed down from a Legion through several Successor Chapters to the current Chapter.
It's a centre piece for an army more than anything else and would most probably be used as a mobile keep whilst on campaign.
I think that it depends on the Chapter how religious they are and how they interpret the role of the Chaplain. Originally they were used to police the Legions for Psykers after the Council of Nikaea.
Over the millenia their roles have evolved to safeguard the spiritual well being of the chapter and ensure that cultural beliefs are upheld.
There is a psuedo-religious basis of many of the chapters with reference given to battle hymns, blessings and prayers. Superstitions also play a big part with various ceremonies and traditions being upheld, particulary when there is talk of a delayed ceremony proving to be a bad omen for the coming campaign.
A mobile shrine would also allow a Chaplain to conduct pre-battle rituals, oratories, blessings and lead the astartes in prayer before battle from on high.
The Exorcist is a good example of gothic evolution. The barrels of the launcher being ornately crafted into pipes, the firing mechanism being turned into an organ and the additional armour being adorned with gothic reliefs. :)

Hairy Norseman: The weathering was dead easy. After highlighting and shading I simply used watered down scorched earth in and the armoured joints and areas that dirt might collect. The first coat was applied fairly spread out then after that was dry I applyed a second coat but kept the wash to the actually localised to the actual recesses of the armour.
This second coat darkens the deepest parts of the recess whist the first coat makes the area look grubby.

ORKY ARD BOYZ: Yeah. The first step is to paint over a black undercoat. I then highlight to bring out the raised edges and then shade with watered down Dark Angels green and watered down green ink.
I use the shading to bring out the highlights by creating a contrast, the weathering is the used not only to make them look grubby but stregthen the shading. the overall effect makes them look bright but also dark as you say.

Shad0wblade:Like Burnthem kindly pointed out they are Forge World heads. I use the chest pieces on other models so little is wasted.

I'm going to go ahead with the gothic landraider as well as the more Pre-Heresy styled on to see if it work. If it doesn't then no worries but I think I may be able to make it fit with the army theme and there's no harm in trying.

ghostmaker12
09-05-2008, 18:53
the multi laser was like the man portable lascannon and it was mildly effective but not good enough for the Astarte's, thats why you see them on the imperial chimera. Now i dont want any PH fanatics bombarding me with the truth. this is only speculation. But Doghouse if you make one you could proxy it as a lascannon.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
09-05-2008, 20:11
I think he knows what a multilaser is- a sort of multi-barreled hellgun, IIRC.
The reference is to a certain book, written by the feared C.S. Gotto. Among other horrible butchering of fluff (too numerous and horrific to mention), there is a particular Mantis Warrior which is armed with a multilaser...yeah...a famous wtf was uttered by thousands of readers worldwide...those who hadn't yet gouged out their own eyes, that is.

ghostmaker12
09-05-2008, 20:24
well thats what im assuming. that at one point in the heresy Multi lasers were carried opposed to lascannons. so it would make sense that they havent had time to get more of the more widely available lascannons for other chapters.

Firebird
09-05-2008, 21:05
I think he knows what a multilaser is- a sort of multi-barreled hellgun, IIRC.
The reference is to a certain book, written by the feared C.S. Gotto. Among other horrible butchering of fluff (too numerous and horrific to mention), there is a particular Mantis Warrior which is armed with a multilaser...yeah...a famous wtf was uttered by thousands of readers worldwide...those who hadn't yet gouged out their own eyes, that is.

Take a chill pill now. The Mantis Warriors were almost entirely wiped out by Nids and by constant warfare. Their betrayal was only forgiven by means of a Crusade and without the possibility of recruitment, a condition imposed by the Imperium as punishment and even without a Homeworld. A hundred years of constant warfare and travel have left them very weakened. The Mantis Warrior in cause used a makeshift multi-laser that he scavenged after his own weapon ran out of ammo. He made due. That's it. Quite simple.

Firebird: Think of this tank like a venerable dreadnought. For thousands of years it has been embelished with honours time and time again untill it no-longer resembles it's original form.
I admit that this is gothic taken to the extreme but it is plausible. It's not so much a building stuck on a tank as a tank evolved into a shrine.
The core elements of the design are pre-heresy in origin so it's probably around ten thousand years have passed since it entered service having passed down from a Legion through several Successor Chapters to the current Chapter.
It's a centre piece for an army more than anything else and would most probably be used as a mobile keep whilst on campaign.
I think that it depends on the Chapter how religious they are and how they interpret the role of the Chaplain. Originally they were used to police the Legions for Psykers after the Council of Nikaea.
Over the millenia their roles have evolved to safeguard the spiritual well being of the chapter and ensure that cultural beliefs are upheld.
There is a psuedo-religious basis of many of the chapters with reference given to battle hymns, blessings and prayers. Superstitions also play a big part with various ceremonies and traditions being upheld, particulary when there is talk of a delayed ceremony proving to be a bad omen for the coming campaign.
A mobile shrine would also allow a Chaplain to conduct pre-battle rituals, oratories, blessings and lead the astartes in prayer before battle from on high.
The Exorcist is a good example of gothic evolution. The barrels of the launcher being ornately crafted into pipes, the firing mechanism being turned into an organ and the additional armour being adorned with gothic reliefs. :)

Well, the Sisters are very different. Their fanaticism is far greater than that of any Astartes Chapter, as Astartes don't see the Emperor as a God but rather as the pinacle of mankind and the supreme warrior. It's just a silly concept to me. Not even Calgar's Land Raider is so ornate and he's the Chapter Master of the best known Chapter in the Galaxy.

redstarone
09-05-2008, 21:49
Think of this tank like a venerable dreadnought. For thousands of years it has been embelished with honours time and time again untill it no-longer resembles it's original form.

Ive been lurking on htis thread and really all your past threads around the diffrent forums Doghouse and first let me say, im glad your back into the hobby. Second, I personally love the idea of your land raider. I could see it happening as given the pull and push off the Imperium, any number of reasons could have started exactly what you have described. I cant wait to see it finished, if you do that is.

Shonuff
09-05-2008, 21:56
...Not even Calgar's Land Raider is so ornate and he's the Chapter Master of the best known Chapter in the Galaxy.

What if it looked like this?
http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,galerry.php?art=496 :)

doghouse
09-05-2008, 22:19
I just re-read the first chapter of Warrior Brood and can see where the Multi-laser reference comes from now. It's a veteran squad armed with multi-lasers on the roof of a bunker providing covering fire for a terminator squad.
Another thing I'm not too keen on is the standard bearer armed with a meltagun.
Whilst there is existing material on the Mantis Warriors in the CS Goto books I think I'm going to ignore it as what I've read so far is not very good in my opinion.

Firebird: Yeah I can see what you mean about the Emperor being admired as a great warrior but not a god and I totally agree.
But you only have to look at the cover of the Dark Angels codex with the cathedral style dropships to see how far you can go with the gothic design on vehicles and then there's the land crawler cathedral in the Witch Hunters codex as well.
The main problem with the Ultramarines is that they are the template for the codex chapters which are pretty much a standardised format. They aren't going to be as ornately decorated as more divulgent chapters such as the Dark Angels or Black Templars for example. :)

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
10-05-2008, 01:20
The Mantis Warrior in cause used a makeshift multi-laser that he scavenged after his own weapon ran out of ammo.

That's funny. I seem to recall a whole squad of them...and they seemed to be armed with their weapon of choice, being veterans or something. I'm sorry if you're a fan of C.S. Goto, but I...

*Past Self brutally censured for idiocy- Present Raimo*

Now, come on. Let's not turn this into another Goto beating- more updates! I need Green Marines!

Lost Egg
10-05-2008, 10:52
Hairy Norseman: The weathering was dead easy. After highlighting and shading I simply used watered down scorched earth in and the armoured joints and areas that dirt might collect. The first coat was applied fairly spread out then after that was dry I applyed a second coat but kept the wash to the actually localised to the actual recesses of the armour.
This second coat darkens the deepest parts of the recess whist the first coat makes the area look grubby.

Thanks for that doghouse, I love how its so subtle yet really works. Cheers.

HN

doghouse
10-05-2008, 21:14
As a squad of basecoated green marines isn't that interesting to look at here is the basic frame work of something extremely special I'm working on for the Mantis Warriors.
It's still early days but some of you Rogue Trader era veterans may recognise it. ;)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture085-1.jpg

BDJV
10-05-2008, 21:20
Nice Dreadnought frame! That is so brilliant!

doghouse
10-05-2008, 21:22
And the cookie goes to BDJV... :D

It will eventually be a Venerable Mk I Fury class dreadnaught armed with lascannon and DCCW.

BDJV
10-05-2008, 21:27
I cannot wait to see it finished!

liamrob
11-05-2008, 00:49
Wow doghouse your skills still amaze me :D Even from B&C and back again.

The dark angel gothic landraider your going? Looking forward to it :D Also those sponsons didn't actually look like different ones, just like synapse didn't recognise till he READ the post :p

All BoM marines? Your crazy but you bought them all at a cheap cheap discount right?

More updates!

doghouse
11-05-2008, 09:28

liamrob: Yeah they're all BfM marines and I got them seriously cheap online. For the price of three regular tactical squads I got half a company of these guys. :)

redstarone
11-05-2008, 09:50
And the cookie goes to BDJV... :D

It will eventually be a Venerable Mk I Fury class dreadnaught armed with lascannon and DCCW.

I used to love fielding whole companys of those dreads in epic. Cant wait to see your skills at work on such a fond memory :)

doghouse
11-05-2008, 10:18
Yeah I know what you mean mate, the little metal ones were really cool and I have fond memories of those as well.
Reworking the design for the current more gothic nature of 40k is going to be a challenge that I look forward to.
I just hope I can do the model justice.

Lost Egg
11-05-2008, 11:36
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture085-1.jpg

:eek::DSimply awesome news! I loved those little guys, much more characterful that the current box on legs. Any chance of a scale shot?

HN

redstarone
11-05-2008, 11:49
I just hope I can do the model justice.

Of that I have no doupt at all my friend! Ill have my eye on the updates :angel:

Captain_Wolverine
11-05-2008, 12:59
Just come across this nice scheme well painted but to me very similar to salamanders

ghostmaker12
11-05-2008, 21:06
cant wait for the dread any chance that you have a tutorial for how to convert the BfM marines?

doghouse
11-05-2008, 22:34
Thanks guys!

Hairy Norseman: Next update I'll include a scale shot for you.

Ghostmaker12: Well it just so happens that I do...

Step one: Remove the head.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02327_00.jpg

I cut the top of the head first with clippers then cut the visor off. I then cleaned it up with a knife.

Step Two: Drilling out the neck.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02328_00.jpg

Using an old hobby drill I carefully drilled out the neck area and created a collar at the same time. The marine head sits in the socket I created.
If you drill too deep use some GS to pack the neck out so that the head sits in the hole. Ideally it should be slightly raised above the collar of the armour so that you can see some of the neck. Although this looks rough here I then clean up the neck area using my knife and GS if needed. Dead easy!

doghouse
11-05-2008, 22:35
Variants
For some of the more specialised marines like the apothacary I'm making I've removed a shoulder pad like so:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02333_00.jpg

I then add the details like the pad and bits cut off the command sprue to make this rather imposing Apothacary:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02334_00.jpg

The same technique was used to add this studded pad to a marine for more variaty.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s196/Mutt2050/DSC02329_00.jpg

rickie8437
11-05-2008, 23:52
gd to see you back mate been a long time

and yet again a great thread and army to look at

rick

ghostmaker12
12-05-2008, 01:10
awesome thats exactly what i needed since i just ordered 10 of them to attempt some "quick" and simple conversions

doghouse
12-05-2008, 18:17
rickie8437: Thanks mate, it's good to be back. :)

ghostmaker12: Excellent, PM me if you need any pointers. ;)

JonesRob
12-05-2008, 19:02
Great log Doghouse!

Always good to see different chapters getting some spotlight time :)

Keep up the good work!

doghouse
13-05-2008, 17:12
Thanks mate! :)

Yeah it's a shame there aren't more of the older chapters out there being done as armies nowadays but there are a lot of really cool DIY forces floating about.
I wouldn't want to be the one that makes a chapter like the Minotaurs army with a colour scheme like theirs though.

HiredSword.
13-05-2008, 17:24
aaarrrrggggghhh sorry, haven't posted anything for ages.

I've been on a self penitent mission not to post anything on warseer for nearly a year but now I see you're back with more marines! admittedly mantis warriors aren't one of my favourite chapters, but I still like what you've done with them.

And why don't you do minotaurs as well? I hate their scheme but I would like to see how you can make them look better. but anyway, please continue (and no getting side-tracked!)

doghouse
13-05-2008, 17:34
MATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been far too long, seriously!

Maybe I could do them as Loyalists to fight the Mantis Warriors when I get his army done.

Sorry to break your vow of silence (can't help but think of the scene in Life of Brian here when he falls on that guy in the pit :D ) but it's great to hear from you again. :)

HiredSword.
13-05-2008, 17:41
hahaha "get off my juniper berries!"

yeah, you can talk though, I see warseer dragged you back too, it's like it has a mind of its own... :|

I might be a bit too late on the decision for which which land raider, but I would vote for the trimmed down one simply because I don't see the mantis warriors anything like the black templars or the dark angels. Plus I love the idea of these marine sniper squads!

Inquisitor Konig
13-05-2008, 22:02
I love the idea of these marine sniper squads!

I've heard this bit of fluff before but where does it come from and why?

doghouse
13-05-2008, 22:51
HiredSword: Nah it's not too late for opinions on the Landraider mate, the sniper squads should be pretty cool if I can pull it off right.

Inquisitor Konig: When the story of the Badab War was first published waaaaay back in first edition it was used as a showcase for variant colour schemes and different chapters.
Up untll then we had only a few examples like the Mentor Legion which was probably the first proper indepth look into a chapter to go on and the ones in the Rogue Trader book.
There are two examples of some of the chapter colour schemes in the article, the second of each being camoflage examples. The Raptor Legion (now Raptors) and the Red Scorpions both had camoflage examples as well.
The secondary Mantis Warriors scheme had the inscription Tranquility Campaign Sniper Squad.
This was back before marines had recruits acting as scouts and we had power armoured Recon squads instead.
The Red Shirt run Badab campaign weekend pack had traits and special rules concerning the chapters involved in the conflict for the weekend bash. The Mantis Warriors were given a Sniper squad as their special unit. :)

ghostmaker12
13-05-2008, 23:48
well lets see some possible updates. man i want to see at least 1500 pts of these baddies.

Vasteye
14-05-2008, 22:41
i'm liking the look of the dread doghouse, keep at it!

and where are the snipers!

doghouse
18-05-2008, 11:56

The snipers are on the to do list but the basic elements of the army come first. Rumour are circulating that missile launchers and flamers are mandatory for ten man squads which is a little annoying if true as I field pure bolter squads. Hopefully they're wrong though as it means I'll ahve to play around with the models more. :(

Scale Shot

As you can see this guy is pretty big and I've just started working on the sarcophicus by adding the base plate on which I'll be adding the detailing.
It's still incredibley WIP at the moment but once the basic form is in place I'll be sanding him down and adding the GS to shape the model.
For those that know the original model I'll be using the smaller legs as they are my favourite version of the model and will allow me to create a sense of weight to the piece.
More asap. ;)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture112.jpg

doghouse
18-05-2008, 14:48
Well I've gotten a little bit more done and am not one hundred percent convinced on this guy now as I think that it may be a little too big for a dreadnaught. I've been trawling through scale pictures for the regualr dread and it's nearly twice the height of a marine as you can see here.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture114.jpg

The legs I'm going to add won't add that much height but something is nagging at me that it's wrong.
It's still looking extremely rough at the moment but I've started adding the armature for the head. What I'm hoping to do is make a hybrid of the original dread and the Mk II power armoured suit.
I've also added a rough armature for the arm which I will be added armour to so that it resembles the original arm as closely as possible complete with duel bolters on the back of the fist. For the weapon arm I'm going to make a twin lascannon in the style of the original and I also want to incorporate elements of the heresy artwork version into the design.
There is going to be a lot of GS work on this guy, where the arms meet the shoulder will be rounded off like the original as will the hip joints.
The head itself is going to be completed first before I do any more as it is the focal point of the piece and if it doesn't work I wouldn't have wasted too much time.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture113-1.jpg

MacPhail
18-05-2008, 16:01
Very cool scratchbuild! I'm glad to see how you managed the framework inside... that thing looks rock solid. I think I've actually got one of those old Dreds in storage somewhere. I'm sure the head won't cause you too much trouble, even if it takes a couple of blown attempts (most of my GS work does exactly that).

doghouse
18-05-2008, 21:29

I've got some more work done on the head and it's starting to take shape. As you can see I'm going for the general shape of the old version but with the Mk II elements in an attempt to make the design a bit more credible by todays standards. I tried the original style eyes but it looked too comical so decided for a vision slit to tie it in with the modern version.
Still got a whole heap of detailing to be done yet but it's getting there. :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture115.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture116.jpg

ghostmaker12
18-05-2008, 21:32
man that dread is going to look awesome i havent seen one of the old style ones in ages.

warflag
18-05-2008, 23:26
Awesome take on the oldschool dread! Very well executed GS work. Wish mine was that smooth.

Definately cool, and worth to watch all the while!

Cheers,
Bart

AbyssRaven
19-05-2008, 06:43
I wouldn't want to be the one that makes a chapter like the Minotaurs army with a colour scheme like theirs though.

My next Army was going to be a lamenters Force.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lamenters

That badge......no..jus...sigh

Amazing log.
Both your marines are absolutly amazing

Edit: And i love the Gothic Land Raider
I could easily see that in a marine force, with the names of all their lost bretheren on the sides

You could go 3 ways tbh
Pre-Crusader (standard chapter)
Crusade (more dirty, not so many hard maintenance items, like speeders, bikes, jump packs)
Post crusade - fair few scouts, very few tactical marines, lots of veterans
maybe running with honour your wargear and Blessed be the Warriors for more veterans?

ZAChos
19-05-2008, 10:06
I think this log should be required reading for anyone on PC&A. Its that good. Its got simple conversions to make bog standard troopers look cool, all the way up to scratch built dreads. Mandatory subscription would be the best thing for everyone on warseer.

precinctomega
19-05-2008, 10:30
I, personally, find him, besides an incompetent writer (although with BL, this is to be expected)

Oi! :( Some of us work bloody hard to become BL authors!

[Awesome Mantis Legion, BTW doghouse - sorry for the hijack but I get a bit narked with people whingeing about how rubbish BL authors are; no one forces anyone to buy a book, after all]

R.

synapse
19-05-2008, 14:52
ah the thread gets interesting :D

tinfoil
19-05-2008, 14:57
Looks like a great start on the dread, doghouse. I'm very interested in seeing this one take shape.

Solun Decius
20-05-2008, 13:51
I just have to give props for the green armor. Such a super-realistic painting style. I'm inspired ... and subscribed!

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
20-05-2008, 20:04
Oi! :( Some of us work bloody hard to become BL authors!

[Awesome Mantis Legion, BTW doghouse - sorry for the hijack but I get a bit narked with people whingeing about how rubbish BL authors are; no one forces anyone to buy a book, after all]

R.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I just think that BL sometimes tries too hard, and Goto makes me angry enough to vent my anger on anything within range. Or something. A sort of "one writer to another" thing. Apologies.

CSK(od), Mantis Warriors- there's almost too much Doghouse to handle...

Mr Feral
20-05-2008, 20:25
I'm tempted to do some of my future Space Marine renegades in the colour of the Mantis Warriors (it's fluffy dammit!) as a small sign of admiration for this log.

Interesting Dreadnaught idea, the GS work puts me to shame.

doghouse
20-05-2008, 20:44

Well just looked over the latest on the SM codex and it looks like this dreadnaught may well end up being an Iron Clad going by what I've heard so far. Just need confirmation of the weapons load out now.

ZAChos : Thanks mate, I appreciate the compliment. :)

Mr Feral: Thanks mate, I'm honoured. :)

(Mental note: Must use the word "mate" less in future posts...)

synapse
24-05-2008, 13:42
Maaaaaate! ;)

hows that dreadnought coming along?

doghouse
24-05-2008, 14:00
Slowly... :D

I've done a bit more and will post an update asap. :)

Cassarus
24-05-2008, 14:37
looking forward to that:D

Sarlock
31-05-2008, 23:23
Ive just taken the time to read through this entire log and I must say it is looking rather sweet. Can't wait to see the sorts of conversions you will get up to with the new 5th edition starter box.

excellent painting too!!

doghouse
01-06-2008, 11:09

Well I'm still hard at work on the dread but have felt the urge to paint vehicles. Luckily I just happened to have some old Rhinos and a Predator from my old White Scorpions army and so I have begun the task of repainting them in the Mantis Warriors colours.
I'm just basecoating the tank at the moment, once that's done I'll highlight shade and weather the model.
Hopefully I should have more pictures of the first tactical squad today all going well.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture148.jpg

Mr Feral
01-06-2008, 11:23
The Predator is starting to shape up nicely, after the shadng it shall look very good indeed.

Looking forward to the Tactical Squad pictures!

Big TM
01-06-2008, 18:37
This is awesome.

You doghouse are down in my

Modeling all time legends Hall of Fame

this is truly an astonishing sight

*subscribed*:D

doghouse
01-06-2008, 22:50

Update time!!!

Here's the first combat squad at about ninety percent finished. I've got two finished and the other three are nearly there.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture149.jpg

Macragge Marines

The objective here was to see if a standard Macragge marine would fit in with the conversions that I've done and I'm quietly confident that I've pulled it off. I still have some detailing, washes, weathering, drybrushing on the base and fine highlighting/shading on the lenses but they are nearly done.
Plus there's the news that the new marines are based on the BfM models meaning that I'm a very happy man right now. :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture150.jpg

HiredSword.
01-06-2008, 23:11
very very nice as usual, you've managed to paint a light green which doesn't offend my eyes! sargeants/veterans with the white helmets would look very nice in this colour scheme. when you say the new marines will be based on the macragge ones, do you mean size-wise?

Scryer in the Darkness
01-06-2008, 23:14
Excellent work as ever Mr doghouse! :)

I swing by this thread every day looking for updates. ;)

Now that we have pics of the new AoBR Marines, maybe you can add similar bits to your existing Marines so they'll all match, i.e. bolter straps, whatever?

Also got to love - if I'm not mistaken - the MkIV leg armour on some of the AoBR Marines. Yippee! :D

Arcane_Blade
01-06-2008, 23:59
Well, I'm definately subscribed. ;)

I was sad to see you go, Doghouse, and I'm extremely glad that you've returned. The marines are looking excellent, I'll have to try some for myself. :)

I know what you mean when you said you wanted to get some games in as quickly as possible, one of the main reasons I recently took a break was because I got bogged down on the whole mini side of things, and never got to game (which was one of my favourite parts of the hobby). But now I've got pulled in again, and it's great to see that a very nice quality can be achieved on minis in a short space of time. :)

Very inspiring, cheers Doghouse.

Valo
02-06-2008, 03:12
looking good doghouse,looking forward to more.......any chance you have any red scorpions stuff left over you want to sell?

doghouse
02-06-2008, 19:16
Thanks guys!

HiredSword.: I'm not sure what to do with the helmets in regards to sergeants at the moment.
I was toying around with standard codex red but it might break up the look of the unit. Maybe the traditional skull marking on the shoulder pad for the sergeant and the iron halo for the veteran squad leader.
As far as I know the new snap-fix marines are the same size as the BfM marines.

Scryer in the Darkness: Great idea with the bolter straps, never thought of that! Yeah one of the marines has MkIV legs which is great news and a good sign that MkIV legs will be available in the recut tactical squad as well.

Arcane_Blade: Thanks mate, it's good to be back. :)

Valo: I'm really sorry mate but I gave the spare bits away.

Scryer in the Darkness
02-06-2008, 20:52
Scryer in the Darkness: Great idea with the bolter straps, never thought of that! Yeah one of the marines has MkIV legs which is great news and a good sign that MkIV legs will be available in the recut tactical squad as well.
I figured bolter straps and scopes would be the easiest wasy of tieing the BfM Marines in with the new AoBR ones... things that could feasibly be added even to already painted models without much fuss. Also the 'new' thigh-located purity seals. ;)

I do seriously love the MkIV legs in the AoBR set, it's a shame it looks like we only get one? The Marine at extreme left looks like he has studs running along the top of his shin plates, but without a knee plate that doesn't correlate to MkIV or MkV armour, just reinforced MkVI really. Doh. :(

And I am very, very quietly thinking positive thoughts about the recut Tactical multi-part Marines that are to come... I just don't want to jinx it. :cool:

swifty2
02-06-2008, 21:28
Awesome log mate, taking a great interest.

I fondly watched your old logs, I even tried your true scaling technique on one of my Imperial Fist characters.

Good luck with the army mate, also can I ask were some of your mantis warriors taken from your "finish an army" log?

Keadaen
03-06-2008, 00:38
Great stuff as all ways doghouse, I am defintly watching this

75hastings69
03-06-2008, 11:36
These look great doghouse. I fancy having a go at a chapter that isn't used by everyone else, and your work on these Mantis Warriors has motivated me to get off my **** and do it (when I finish my DA).

Whitehorn
03-06-2008, 12:36
Hah! de ja vu post?

Big TM
03-06-2008, 17:38
this is looking good, keep up with it

Dictator
03-06-2008, 18:10
It is really impressive how you mike such plain looking models look so fresh and dynamic. Keep up the awesome work@!

malkkis
03-06-2008, 20:11
Wow, these are good marines. Watching your blog has caused thing for BfM marines too. Maybe getting new starter and making that Imperial Fists army I long for..

doghouse
03-06-2008, 23:05
Thanks guys!

Well it's only tabletop standard but I've finished Captain Horton of the fourth company. I've gone for a gold torso in the end to make him stand out a little more from his battle brothers.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture153.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture154.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture155.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture156.jpg

spacemonkey
03-06-2008, 23:08
Looks fantastic, Doghouse. The skulls are a nice touch.

LordKhaine
03-06-2008, 23:09
i think ive seen that model before doghouse in another one of your logs :p

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
03-06-2008, 23:26
Yup- he used to be a Space Shark...

Tell me- does he hear a Who?

BDJV
03-06-2008, 23:32
Wow, that Space Shark looks great as a Mantis Warrior! :p

Now I'm gonna repent and start working on my Space Sharks for saying that. :eek:

:D

ghostmaker12
03-06-2008, 23:40
looks good Doghouse i have to say if you went with that throughout the higher ranking officers it would be pretty cool.

Vasteye
03-06-2008, 23:54
Well it's only tabletop standard...

i wish all of my tabletop standard mini's looked that good :cries:

these guys look awesome. i really like the decal on his shoulder as well. amazing freehand

Scryer in the Darkness
04-06-2008, 00:18
Blwonderful! :D

JonesRob
04-06-2008, 08:33
Great work on the captain, like the freehand on the shoulder pads.

Cassarus
04-06-2008, 09:55
great work doghouse, I really like him!

malkkis
04-06-2008, 10:01
Wow, that's nice mini. I really love your freehands and weathering

doghouse
04-06-2008, 23:25

Fall from Grace

The assault ramp of the Thunder hawk hissed as it lowered slowly to the floor of the flight deck of the Emperor's Blade.
Smoke billowed from the inside of the gun ship’s troop bay as the gargoyle incense burners decontaminated the cargo within.
The weapons of the enemy were great in number but none were as insidious as the threat of orkoid spores or tyranids microbes. To the superhuman bodies of the Astartes they would be little more than an irritant but to the human serfs and sensitive equipment they posed a dire threat that could spread with disastrous consequences throughout the Strike Cruisers air ducts.

Veteran Sergeant Tarven stamped down the ramp, the heavy footfalls of his plate armoured boots sounding out his frustration.

"Whose damn fool idea was it to withdraw mid-campaign" Tarven gruffly grumbled out loud to no-one in particular. The veteran was not one to keep his thoughts to himself.

"That damn fool would be I brother-sergeant." Captain Mathus Horton smiled humourlessly, his smartly pressed dress tunic cleanly shaven scalp a stark contrast to the sergeant's battle scared plate armour and unkempt appearance.

"Throne Mathus," The sergeant spoke with a familiarity of brotherly bond forged in the fire of countless battle that exceeded the formalities of rank "the green skins had turned on their heels, without a continued pursuit they will return and in greater number!" He growled but his protests fell on deaf ears as he stormed off.

"We have more pressing concerns," Horton began to keep pace with Tarven as he made for an open water container and poured the contents over his head. The soot and dust of battle mingled with bloodstains as it streaked over his face as he ran his hand through the crop of hair that had grown since the campaign had begun.

"Lord Huron is here meeting with the Chapter Master" Horton continued, the concern although present in his voice clearly went over the head of the furious sergeant. "There is talk of a rebellion!"

"Three more days!" Tarven continued "Three more days and the threat would have been extinguished from Tranquillity for good!"

"EMPEROR'S TEETH SAUL!" The usually calm visage of the Captain gave way to impatient rage and his blasphemous outburst that caused all on the flight deck to stop mid-track "Lord Huron brings news of the Adeptus Mechanicus imposing sanctions that threaten the sovereignty of the Astartes themselves!"

Tarven was dumbstruck by the Captain's outburst.

"We are going to war brother" Horton said solemnly "the Astral Claws have already been fired upon by vessels of the Fire Hawks, you will get your chance to return to Tranquillity but this time the fight will be with our brother Astartes!"

Tarven stared at his brother in disbelief.

"Prepare your men brother; you leave for Tranquillity within the hour!"

Scryer in the Darkness
05-06-2008, 03:07
Oh you tease us with no pics! :D

ghostmaker12
05-06-2008, 15:25
thats an awesome little blurb. have you ever thought about making a series of short stories?

75hastings69
05-06-2008, 15:58
Another fantastic addition to your Mantis Warriors doghouse, I think you have posed hime really well, it looks pretty dynamic.

CasperTheGhost
05-06-2008, 19:16
Brilliant work. I once though of doing a army of mantis warriors but i didn't get around to it.

If I could now throw an innocent spanner into the works. I'm proberly going to be killed by someone in the thread for this but meh.

First of all the book Warrior Brood deals with the 3rd or 4th company and I believe you are doing the 4th so the fluff for that is already established. I could be wrong and even if i'm not there is no reason for you to change it. I was just pointing it out incase you cared :). Though i'm sure its the 3rd. And the captain had a power sword anyway so who cares

And I seem to late to tell you that in the second deathwatch book (Warrior Coven I think) it states somewhere that the Mantis Warriors have finsihed their crusade and so can recruit scouts and that is why they are in the deathwatch to. But stick with the Babab Wars are the little blurb you did was brilliant.

Also, one other thing. Considering you are talented at modelling in Warrior Brood there is one of the company captains with a big scary double-headed power axe and also a Libarian with a Doulbe-ended Power Staff. Also, you could take a Chaplain and paint it in Black Templars as there is one in the Deathwatch team that three of the Mantis Warriors join.

Just some ideas :p

Anywho keep up the good work

Casper

doghouse
05-06-2008, 19:34

Scryer in the Darkness: There should be some pictures on the weekend hopefully. I've nearly finished the first tactical squad and am starting on the Sternguard squad.

ghostmaker12: Thanks mate, I think that the background material is an important part of any army and by setting it out in a story it makes it a little more interesting to read. I will be adding parts to it as I go along, mostly when a new character or squad is introduced.
I might add some diorama style pictures to the stories as well. :)

CasperTheGhost: I started to read the first book but struggled as I couldn't really get into it. I think it was the writing style and some of the bits like the veterans with multi-lasers sort of put me off.
I'd started the army before I'd even heard of the books so already had a firm idea of what direction I was going to take thinking that it was obscure enough for no-one to have done them before.
My interpretation is based on my own first ed Mantis Warriors army and the campaigns that I fought with them.
Most of the background material I use will be fairly generic so shouldn't conflict too much with the books.
I don't know how the Black Library books fit into the "official" background of the 40k universe but I'll definately be doing my own thing with the army.
Worse case scenario is that my own army will end up as a sort of unofficial prequel to the books. :)

Mr Feral
05-06-2008, 20:04
@ CasperTheGhost- I dont think BL publications are technically cannon material, but it helps sometimes to expand on the not so well established facets of the 40K universe (the Mantis Warriors being one) ;)

@ doghouse - Captain Horton is nicely done, excellent work on the freehand on the shoulder pads and the model as a whole. Great fluff extract too, I look forward to further developments featuring Lugft Huron ;).

(BTW, I went and painted one of my Red Corsair Raptors as an ex-Mantis Warrior using your colour scheme. Weathering vibrant green armour is fun!)

LokkoRex
05-06-2008, 20:17
really nice paint job! how about a pic of everything you've done so far?;)

ghostmaker12
05-06-2008, 21:38
Doghouse even tho you said you were put away by the fluff the one thing that would seem to be believable would be that of the elite unit of the praying mantide. it just seems so right to have a fanatical group of veterans who enter a trance like fighting mode all to redeem their name as a chapter.

CasperTheGhost
05-06-2008, 22:13
Ah no I think its good that you go your own way and I like your style of writing your own little stories.

I liked bits of the book but only for conversion ideas and that was it really. Oh and how the assault marine died. That would make a brilliant diorama if i had the money to buy a load of gargoyles, a dead big gargoyle carrier thing (Harradain or something like that) and the skills to do it. Also the fact that its marines on a pentitional crusade and lose about 40 marines in the course of the book makes me wonder... well :wtf: is happening.

Anywho I meant to mention that I like the dreadnought. The fact that your building it from scratch is just ... well brilliant.

Oh and if your captain is only tabletop standard I would love to see you display standard.

Updates please :D

Casper

doghouse
07-06-2008, 08:34

LokkoRex: Ok mate I'll see what I can do but the army is a bit disorganised at the moment. Hopefully I'll have updated shots of the tactical squad today all going well.

ghostmaker12: I've heard a little bit about the Preying Mantide guys but don't have the full story on them. As I understand it they enter some sort of permenant trance or something weird like that.
I will be making a veteran unit but don't want to stray too far from the codex stuff and the Mantide guys sound like they are post-Badab Uprising.

CasperTheGhost: Thanks mate! :)

synapse
07-06-2008, 09:32
any news on the dread? :(

Big TM
07-06-2008, 09:49
Yeha, Me want sa Dread Update

doghouse
07-06-2008, 12:11
Once I've got the tacticals up I'll post shots of the dread. :)

doghouse
07-06-2008, 17:30
Update: Armour Variant

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture157.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture158.jpg

I've got nowhere near as much done today as I'd hoped but here's a quick update to keep the thread alive.
I've removed the knee pads and replaced them with older Mk II style version and I've also modified the torso to resemble the Mk III.
It's a simple enough conversion but should add some variation to the Astartes and make them look more gothic.

Scryer in the Darkness
07-06-2008, 19:42
Like the extended torso/groin, but am not feeling the kneepads, sorry mate. :)

Maybe shape them back a bit into MkIV style?

malkkis
07-06-2008, 19:49
Like the extended torso/groin, but am not feeling the kneepads, sorry mate. :)

Maybe shape them back a bit into MkIV style?

Got to agree with this one. The kneepads just look, bit, big. But otherwise, great piece. I'm sure it'll look nice on the table.(How long does it take from you to paint a marine doghouse? I'm terribly slow, and it takes me ages to get one done. :()

Keadaen
07-06-2008, 20:26
if you trim them down a bit more into oval....rectangles (not sure of the word for that "shape) I am sure it would look better

doghouse
07-06-2008, 21:09
Yeah I agree they look a little off but I'm going to try and save them with some detailing. They're a bit of an experiment, might work, might not.
I'm also working on a full Mk IV suit as well but have just started so no pictures just yet.

malkkis: About forty minutes each, but it's more about finding the time to actually sit down and do them. At the moment I'm doing them one at a time rather than production lining them as I want each to look as individual as possible so I'm treating each like a hero model.

I've highlighted and shaded him now and have begun the weathering before moving onto the detailing, eyes and metallics.
The second model is done in the same style but I've just drybrushed him before I start the basecoat properly.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture162.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture161.jpg

Scryer in the Darkness
07-06-2008, 22:14
I think that you need to add the extra details (i.e. stud reinforcements) around the edges of the shins that MkIII armour has, so the larger kneepads fit right. And/or make the lower leg look more armoured.

EDIT - Scratch that. Forgot you said MkII for the kneepads. In which case I'd say go with what I originally wrote (then edited out) of adding the extra loops of armour to the shins and - if it was me - power cables on the thighs to cover up the Mk7 'tech' panel lines. Then the kneepads would fit better. ;)

doghouse
08-06-2008, 00:02
The Tranquillity Campaign

Heavy bolter fire raked the street as the enemy Landspeeder made a long low pass over Tarven's Sternguard Squad blowing sizable chunks from the road surface and showering his men in dirt and debris.
Unlike many of his fellow Mantis Warriors Brother Sergeant Tarven had no problem with the thought of fighting fellow Astartes.
This was not to say that he was a callous or evil hearted man by any means but was more attributed to the strength of his character and conviction. He saw the Fire Hawks as an enemy that threatened the survival of his Chapter that would take the lives of his battle brothers without a second thought.
Many of the others had questioned the validity and legality of their actions, whether or not they had entered into a conflict that could very well threaten the stability of the Imperium itself.
The Lamenters had now joined on the side of the Astral Claws in other theatres of war and word was spreading that the Executioners would soon be joining them.
Tarven had paid little attention to the rumours instead focusing on the job at hand. After the Fire Hawks had established a beach head it had not taken long for the fighting to spread from the dense jungles of the southern continent to the cities that were sporadically dotted across the planet surface.
The Mantis Warriors had the advantage of not only knowing the lay of the land but had used the greenskins to their advantage by leading their enemies into the midst of the fragment Ork forces.
On more than one occation the Fire Hawks had given chase after isolated Mantis Warrior squads only to be lead into the path of a marauding greenskin warband. Sniper teams picked off officers and Nobz during the following chaos that took place as the two forces clashed weakening their command structures.
It was not an honourable strategy by any stretch of the imagination but it was effective.

Tarven watched the Landspeeder pass over his head and climb into the sky in a high arc of ascent. He lost sight of it as it passed in front of the twin suns of Traquillity but he knew only too well that it was positioning itself for another attack run.
The remaining seven men of his squad had taken up positions on either side of the street making difficult targets as they sheltered in the ruined hab-blocks. Tarven stood defiantly in the middle of the road.

The sunlight glinted off the yellow hull of the landspeeder as it turned steeply diving into a steady decline. Tarven knelt as he placed his boltgun slowly on the floor beside him, never taking his eyes off the approaching skimmer.
The crack of heavy bolter fire could be heard in the distance as the shells began to whine past him smashing into fallen masonary and blowing apart several small walls and weakening the foundations of the ruins either side of the long since abandoned street.
His squad began to sporadically return fire, their bolter shells distracting the speeder's gunner enough to ensure that his shots went wild. Tarven remained motionless as he knelt in the debris, patiently awaiting the moment as he listened to sound of the shells leaving the heavy bolter's barrel. Whilst to lesser troops the pop and crack of heavy bolter shells was something to be rightly feared, the mass reactive shells capable of tearing his mighty superhuman frame apart should a round hit him squarely. The sounds of the speeder spoke to him like no other might understand. The whine of the engine, the time difference between the shot leaving the barrel and the time it took to pass him by, the click of afterburners all called out to him telling exactly how far the speeder was away from his position.
Without warning he reached into the rubble and grabbed the melta-bomb he'd placed there earlier. With startling speed he rose to his feet and began running at full pace towards the approaching skimmer.
The pilot realised too late what the sergeant had intended all along as he tried to climb but it was too late. Tarven sprinted up the side of a fallen wall and vaulted into the air. What seemed like a lifetime passed before his free arm hooked around the speeder's lower sensor array and wrenched him backwards as the speeder lurched drunkenly from the impact. His legs trailing as the pilot increased speed so as not to come crashing down Tarven activated the melta-bomb and slammed it onto the bottom of the vehicle. It's mono-molecular bonding clamp fixed firmly to his target Tarven released his grip slamming into the ground at speed before deftly rolling into a controled fall and slammed into the rubble below.
He quickly scrambled to his feet as he watched the doomed speeder climb sharply before blossoming into a ball of fire as the melt-bomb tore it's frame apart.
He did not stop to congratulate himself as he steadied himself and headed off back to his squad. He felt no remorse for his actions he had simply proven himself the better soldier, there was no seed of hatred taking root in his heart, no internal struggle within his soul. This was his enemy and he would treat them with the respect they deserved and kill them like any other.
This fight might have been won but the war was just begining.

ghostmaker12
08-06-2008, 00:43
dude story is awesome next one needs to include the Red scorpions since they were uber awesome and would pose a good threat to the mantis legion. btw if when your done you should create an actual PDF file including all the short stories.

doghouse
08-06-2008, 09:12

I'll see what I can do about a compilation of the stories when I'm done. ;)

doghouse
08-06-2008, 13:29
Quick update.

Still pluggin away at these guys and they're gettting there. Shouldn't be long before the first tactical squad is finished and I can start on the second.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture163.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture164.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture165.jpg

ghostmaker12
08-06-2008, 15:06
hey doghouse are you actually going to make sgt. Tarven? because i think he would be a cool character to put together and would defiantly deserve the right to be a non BfM marine.

malika
08-06-2008, 16:09
No true-scale this time huh? :( Oh well, your marines still look ace! It's great to see a return to this old piece of background (the Badab War)!

Perhaps you have already seen this and might have found it completely useless but if not...oh well maybe it comes in handy! The Badab War project (http://groups.msn.com/badabwarproject) was an MSN group I've set up many years ago for artists, modellers and writers to come together and recreate the Badab War. While I've kinda quit with that one due to other stuff such as university, social life, the Anargo Sector Project and such there is still some stuff on there which you might find useful! :)

ghostmaker12
08-06-2008, 20:16
hey DH any chance of a quick how to on the mantis warrior icon? i want a couple of dead ones on my terminator bases. :evilgrin:

TwoByFour
08-06-2008, 20:33
Absolutely stunning, the way those static minis come to life here!

I don't really know if I can say anything that hasn't been said several times already, at this point it feels a bit redundant to tell you that they are awesome, but suffice to say that you got me to spend all of today with a couple of BfM marines I had lying around..

Cheers, that's one less day spent doing boring, sensible things! :D

ghostmaker12
13-06-2008, 04:19
hey Doggie i think its time to make an update...no actually i dont think its time i KNOW its time for you to update this baby. o yea thanks to your easy green tip my wulfen will be wearing some stolen mantis warrior armour!

doghouse
14-06-2008, 22:01
TwoByFour : Thanks mate, I appreciate the compliment! :)

ghostmaker12: Here you go mate, especially for you... :D

Update time!

Just a quick one. Here is the first of my Sternguard squad (probably the first ever Sternguard macragge marine conversion) Brother-Sergeant Tarven. The model was made from the standard BfM like his brothers, the ammo clip from a leftover stormbolter, the devastator sergeant head, a dark angels studded pad and some blades from a chainsword.
I've still got some bits to add yet though. The idea is that rather than have a shaven head like the others Tarven hasn't had time to clean up before being plunged back into battle so he's got hair and will have facial stubble as well.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture180.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture181.jpg

malkkis
14-06-2008, 22:08
Well, your sternguard looks good. When do we see painted ones? It's funny what you can do with BfM marines, are you planning to get the new 5ed starter box too? There comes some nifty armor variants, and quite nice looking Dreadnought.

doghouse
14-06-2008, 22:14
Thanks mate. Yeah definately, I think I must be the only person happy to see that they are using BfM style snapfix marines again. :D
I'll probably get a couple of sets and start a snapfix Ork army as well.

swifty2
14-06-2008, 23:02
really cool sternguard, still love the macragge marine army looks really cool.

Rossco
14-06-2008, 23:22
doghouse I would love to see your cabinet, it must the the size of an aircraft hangar ! as usual really good stuff, when are we going to see more of that dread ? it's got me proper excited !

doghouse
15-06-2008, 00:46

Rossco: I have done some more work on it but nothing worth showing just yet. As soon as it takes shape I'll post pictures. :)

ghostmaker12
15-06-2008, 18:50
tarven looks awesome consider this model stolen. cant wait to see the sternguard squad completed...o yea while im here WTF is a sternguard?

Vasteye
15-06-2008, 20:59
hey doghouse, i've been lurking in here for a bit since the start (mainly because i haven't had anything to say) so i just wanted to say that i'm really liking how these marines are turning out.

i also like the fluff that's going along with it.

keep it up! and where's that dread?

Rossco
15-06-2008, 21:02
Thanks doghouse, I've spent a couple of hours recreating Taverns bolter today ! it's made my command squad sarge look awesome, so thanks for that too !

doghouse
15-06-2008, 22:45

ghostmaker12: In the new codex the first company are divided into two types of squad. First you have Vangaurd who are equiped with jump packs and favour close assault and then you have Sternguard who favour ranged combat and are placed in defence of where the battle line is weakest.

Vasteye: It's on it's way. ;)

Rossco: No problem, glad I could be of help. :)

liamrob
16-06-2008, 04:46
Ok well doghouse your marines are awesome! :D

But you mentioned 40 minutes a marine!?!?!? that is darn right crazy.

Why do they looked drybrushed at the start or is it heavily wet/overbrushed. I wouldn't mind an explanation because it may speed up my painting of my marines :D

doghouse
16-06-2008, 17:15
Thanks mate!

I drybrush them a couple of times to build up a foundation and then apply the basecoat the traditional way.
It is a really quick way of doing them, but it''s more to do with finding the time to actually sit down and work on them uninterrupted in my case. :)

doghouse
18-06-2008, 17:55
Quick Update time

I've seriously had hardly anytime to get anything done recently (lousey real world!!!) but have started a second Sternguard.
I've used the Deathwatch pad to make him a bit more gothic looking, added the bigger magazine to the bolter and added a gorget to the neck. I'll also be adding a bolter strap and few other bits.
I've also removed the Dark Angels icon from the rope on Tarven's studded pad and added a teminator honour instead.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture182.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture183.jpg

ghostmaker12
18-06-2008, 19:46
like the guy with the death watch pad, how did you make the gorgut?

tcraigen
18-06-2008, 22:22
are you using ammo from terminators or rhino stormbolters? I love the way that ammo looks

Dictator
19-06-2008, 02:01
I love your mantis warrior conversions and paint Jobs. Keep it up!!
Babdab pwns!

Big TM
19-06-2008, 06:56
loving the sterngaurd mate, keep it up

Inquisitor Konig
19-06-2008, 06:59
why shouldnt the mantis warriors be deathwatch vets?

p.s. i really like the spikes added from the chainswords!!!

Big TM
19-06-2008, 20:49
There are honarary members of the DW that are Mantis Warriors

eg. Librarian Shaidan, Seargeant Soron

ghostmaker12
19-06-2008, 22:02
There are honarary members of the DW that are Mantis Warriors

eg. Librarian Shaidan, Seargeant Soron

it was mentioned in one of the books that the mantis warriors were inducted to the DW pre badab and were looked down apon after so none post until after the events in warrior brood where not only Shaidan and Soron (both dead) were inducted.

so if your asking why no DW he is making his marines during the Badab war so im thinking that those mantis warriors that were already inducted might have turned their back or joined their brothers.

Big TM
20-06-2008, 17:41
And devastator sergeant Ruinus was inducted also

rev
23-06-2008, 22:20
Long time fan of all your work DH - thanks for the inspiration.

rev

liamrob
24-06-2008, 05:51
Ooo i'm going to give that drybrushing then painting basecoat method next time i sit down to paint.

Yes finding time to paint can be a pain these days. But cause i'm only 14 and school holidays coming up woohoo :D

Dictator
20-07-2008, 18:30
Any progress mate?

rickie8437
20-07-2008, 23:27
great log doghouse, love what you ahve done with the snap fit marines

love the story of the badab wars, i almost feel sorry for the mantis warriors as i dont think they knew they had sided with the traiters lol

keep up the good work and i love the storys

and i think once the herasy books are done GW should doo a set of books on the Badab war following it as it was one of the biggest wars after the herasy

MagnoliaFan
20-07-2008, 23:34
I realy like what you did with those snapfit marine's! Cant wait to do the same with the new marine's from the black reach box.
Keep up the good work!

MrSean
21-07-2008, 00:40
I really like how clean your marines are painted, very cool. the green is solid and the limited weathering makes them look believable. sometimes no scratches looks cartoony and sometimes too many scratches makes them look like they are handicapped marines. no space marine would let his armor fall apart. I like your work!

Shadow Wulfen
23-07-2008, 12:57
I have to say that Mantis Warriors wouldn't have been my first choice for an army but they look really good (for being modified BfM models) and I must say kudos :). I would have gone for Red Scorpions (personnal taste) if I started to build a second Marine chapter.

doghouse
28-08-2008, 23:28

ghostmaker12: The gorget is a colar cut off a standard marine torso and added to the BfM back to front.

An update!

It seems like ages since I actually got to sit down and paint stuff but here is my WIP Sergeant Tarven. I'm still building up the flesh tones and have only just really started work on him but it's a start.
With the new BfBR box set coming out soon I hope to get a lot more done on these guys. I just wish my flipping camera wasn't playing up at the moment. :rolleyes:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture006-8.jpg

swifty2
28-08-2008, 23:33
Nice work on the serg mate he looks really cool, this may sound incredibly stupid or ignorant but how come hes not green.

doghouse
28-08-2008, 23:41

Nah it's not a stupid question at all mate! During the original badab article waaay back in the rogue trader days they showed two colour schemes. One was pretty much the same as the green one and the other was a camo variant for the Tranquility Campaign which was yellow.

I'm painting my Sternguard in reverse colour scheme as veterans of the Tranquility Campaign. It's kind of a nod to the original article. :)

swifty2
28-08-2008, 23:48
Fair dos, thanks for clearing that up mate, i've been around for awile but RT was still awile before my day, thats quite a nice theme you've got there for your veterans aswell.

tcraigen
29-08-2008, 00:14
beautiful figures as always I love the retro nod.

liamrob
29-08-2008, 04:02
Doghouse i gave that drybrushing then blocking in the colours basecoating way and it works a dream!

Really great looking face ;) Now i wanna dig out my dev box to paint that face :D

Keep up the great work man!

doghouse
29-08-2008, 11:32

liamrob: Nice one! I'm glad it helped. :)
It works a treat for armoured figures like Marines or Eldar and is a great way of getting a lot of minis done quickly.

Whitehorn
19-09-2008, 10:04
These are lovely dog.

I've been a Mantis Warrior fan for a while - originally I collected Red Corsairs back in the Rogue Trader days and included each of the renegades in some form. My epic army was all Mantis warriors.

I painted my first Mantis for over 10 years, last night. It felt good! I'll be doing a couple of Black reach sets in the glorious Mantidae colours :)

Which green did you use for this? Goblin?
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture083.jpg

I actually enjoyed Warrior Brood. The book felt .. short.. but the Mantis Librarian is screaming to be made :)

doghouse
19-09-2008, 21:44
Thanks mate!

It was snot green that I used for these guys!

Big TM
28-09-2008, 16:41
Started work on Black Reach yet?

I really enjoyed reading Warrior Brood, and Shaidan is just an Awesome character. I need to get round to reading Warrior Coven sometime...

steck
18-11-2008, 04:49
i know the forum rules say no necromancy, but i need an update, i registered just for this thread, so update

the dread (as far as it got) looks cool, you should find some time to work on it. also the normal scheme is great on the guys but i think they lack detail, just a few odd equipment pouches, purity seals, or such would help and they wouldnt all look the same.

also someone earlier mentioned scouts, i think it says in warrior brood that they were still recruiting just they did it very rarely, and only on planets they had helped or something like that (or maby i am confusing books)

i have a box of marines along with my tau and am planing on starting a mantis warrior army because there book was the first i had heard of 40k:D

again, sorry for the necro but i couldnt think of any other way to get an update

edit:spelling