PDA

View Full Version : drop pods..which?

Sleazy
27-04-2008, 17:58
Hi there.

So I'm halfway thru building my 2nd drop pod. My Plan is to have my Soul Drinkers all deepstriking so drop pods, jump packs and termies teleporting.

Which Rules should I use? The ones in the marine codex say 10 marines to a pod but the ones in Imperial Armour say 5.

Do IA rules overrule codexs?

Which do people generally use?

I'll do whatever the general consensus for fair, I dont want my opponent to complain I'm using out of date rules or optional ones.

Warboss Jhura Ironfang
27-04-2008, 18:02
Use the Codex: SM rules, as IA is not a "normal" Codex. Also, AFAIK, IA does not override normal Codex rules.

Cheerz, Jhura

Marshal Argos
28-04-2008, 06:00
It depends on what you want to do. If your group doesn't allow IA or you want 10 Marines per pod than stick to the Codex.

If you want to be able to assault on the same turn as you they arrive, and don't mind only having 5 marines, than use IA.

Archangel_Ruined
28-04-2008, 19:35
The codex, I think the IA rules are wrong (well, written for a model that blatantly only holds 5 models). Drop pods have always carried squads, and if they can carry a dreadnought they can carry 10 marines. Besides, the codex model doesn't need permission from your opponent.

Alessander
28-04-2008, 22:50
There are 3 sets of rules.

The codex version,
The IA version,
and the IA Apoc version.

Each gives them completely different rules. The last 2 are 5-seater pods that can be shot down while flying, but allow you to assault after landing. The IA APOC version makes them normal flyers with the improved Apoc flyer rules (no more "moving in the opponent's turn" shenanigans).

JustTony
28-04-2008, 23:17
I would say a drop pod is a drop pod. Build them as you please and use them as you please. I would expect that most often they would be used according to the codex rules. I have a FW drop pod and I have yet to have any one complain when it lands and 10 Marines OR a Dreadnought pops out. You going to the effort of building one so I would say good to you, use it as you see fit.

Peace: through superior firepower.

RavingGuard
29-04-2008, 06:32
i'd say use the IA:APOC rules, makes sense as otherwise the drop pod leaves your troops too exposed. it's all about the assault ramps and landing then charging.

AngryAngel
29-04-2008, 06:39
I can't believe its even being discussed. If you plan on using DP's regardless of what your opponent would say, use the rules for Drop pods in the marine codex. Taking into account cost, and size of squads that can be taken.

If ya wish to assault on landing, count as a flyer and all that jazz from IA, use the IA rules in the IA apoc book. Just realize either of the IA rules requite opponent permission, the offical marine dex pods don't. Make sure ya point out the diffrences.

Sleazy
29-04-2008, 07:29
Well as long as thats the case I'll just use the codex rules. I just didnt wanna turn up for a game with a bunch of freshly built and painted drop pods only to find out I need twice as many as everyone now uses IA rules!

2nd pod is now built. Am gonna knock together a dread pod tonight.

JustTony
29-04-2008, 19:32
Any chance of getting pictures posted of your pods? Or the building process?
Thanks

daa6
29-04-2008, 20:01
Again, go with the codex, as they cant say anything.

Also agree with JustTony: Any chance of getting pictures posted of your pods? Or the building process? :D :angel:

Thanks

Sleazy
29-04-2008, 21:05
well here they are so far, the one on the right needs a bit more work, the one one the left needs a bit of detail then painting.

what do you think?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/sleazycome/SP_A0154.jpg

JustTony
30-04-2008, 20:14
I think they're flipping awesome. Great job! What kind of materials did you use and did you use a template of somekind, or is your eye that good? Fantastic job. Keep it up!

Sleazy
30-04-2008, 22:04
they are just card. they are made with lots of layers to give them detail which also makes them strong.

Yeah I used a template, its easy enough to follow but quite time consuming.

Chem-Dog
30-04-2008, 22:14
The codex, I think the IA rules are wrong (well, written for a model that blatantly only holds 5 models). Drop pods have always carried squads, and if they can carry a dreadnought they can carry 10 marines. Besides, the codex model doesn't need permission from your opponent.

Didn't they originally carry COMPANIES? Bit hazy about the past but seem to remember some huge "Chocholate Orange" type thing....

Go for the marine codex, the less books you have to carry the better :)

Sleazy
01-05-2008, 06:19
yeah, that rings a bell, they looked like choc oranges in Epic/Space Marine.

def gonna go codex, I really dont wanna have to lug IA2 for the sake of 1 page and dont wanna have to make more than 5 pods.

Feor
01-05-2008, 11:24
IA rules are not opponent permission. Right in the front of the IA books it even says they're not, and that letting your opponent dictate your army is a dumb idea to start with.

It's generally polite to inform your opponent that you'll be using an IA unit, and to have the rules on hand for that unit in case he wants to look at them, but they're no more "opponent permission" than the whole game is to begin with. (i.e. if he doesn't like your army, he doesn't have to play against you)

Edit: note - Above refers to the situation of a friendly game. In tournament situations Forgeworld becomes organizers permission only.

Sleazy
05-05-2008, 11:26
another pod question..

Where is the storm bolter?? looking at the pics on FW website I cant see its armament anywhere?

Have now just about done the dread pod, that took a lot more time than I thought. I'd probably be better with balsa for future dread pods.