PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Vc

Lord_Squinty
27-04-2008, 20:43
Ok, first attempt at a vampire list.

I've decided to make them from Lahmia - so no ghouls.
(I'll raise zombies as I go)
Overall army is made from Tomb Kings - chariots for Corpse Carts
Scorpions for Varghulf.

Lord -
+1 magic level, master of Arts, Dark Acolyte, Lord of Dead, Flayed Hauberk,
Biting Blade, Skull staff.

Vampire -
Dark Acolyte, Lord of Dead, Black Periapt.

Vampire-
Dark Acolyte, Avatar of death, Helm of command, sword of striking

19 Graveguard, command, GW, Banner of Barrows

3x 14 Skeletons with command (plan to raise more as I go)

3 Corpse cart with balefire

4 Fell Bats

2 Varghulf

Please feel free to rip the list to shreds, its my first attempt, having never used VC before.

I already think I need to squeeze the book of Arkhan in somewhere, but not sure where.

Cheers.

Evil-Lite
28-04-2008, 13:26
Ok, first attempt at a vampire list.

I've decided to make them from Lahmia - so no ghouls.
(I'll raise zombies as I go)
Overall army is made from Tomb Kings - chariots for Corpse Carts
Scorpions for Varghulf.

Lord -
+1 magic level, master of Arts, Dark Acolyte, Lord of Dead, Flayed Hauberk,
Biting Blade, Skull staff.

Not a bad combo. Good casting with survivability

Vampire -
Dark Acolyte, Lord of Dead, Black Periapt.

The vamp is lacking in survivability. Would consider dropping Lord of the Dead for Avatar of Death (shield).

Vampire-
Dark Acolyte, Avatar of death, Helm of command, sword of striking

Why place the Helm on a Vamp geared towards combat? This is a Vamp you only want in combat as a last resort.

19 Graveguard, command, GW, Banner of Barrows

I prefer 20 GG in a unit so if a character is killed or needs to leave the unit the GG still have the potential of 3 ranks for combat res

3x 14 Skeletons with command (plan to raise more as I go)

Always a good plan

3 Corpse cart with balefire

Have not tried 3 CC yet. Normally I field 1 or 2. Unless you go against a lot of heavy caster lists I would suggest making 1 of them a lodestone so you can get more troops summoned in the first round of the game.

4 Fell Bats

I find 3 is normally enough for most warmachine hunting jobs (unless I go against Dwarfs). You may want to consider going with 5 if you want to use them to destroy fleeing units.

2 Varghulf

No complaints here.

Please feel free to rip the list to shreds, its my first attempt, having never used VC before.

I already think I need to squeeze the book of Arkhan in somewhere, but not sure where.

Cheers.

Hope the above helps (in red)

Lord_Squinty
28-04-2008, 17:01
Cheers for the reply Evil-Lite.

All very good points, What about the book of arkhan, staff of models strike in magic phase and BsB? Should I be trying to fit these into the list - what to drop to get them in?
I had already noticed that about my vampire with the helm... I have to admit, with the exception of the lord, I really dont know what I want from my other Vamps.
I guess I need at least one killy Vamp, but I also want to dominate magic to get a LOT of stuff raised.

fubukii
28-04-2008, 17:38
id say the book of arkan is a must have in a vc list, mostly bc you may get unlucky and not get a single vanhels period. THis way you have some insurance that you will always have the spell, and if you dont get it off with powerdice you can always resort to your bound spell for that key flank charge, or rear charge, or key ASF with those gg

Evil-Lite
28-04-2008, 17:48
The bound spells are nice to have; however, I dislike dominating the magic phase with 15 PD and 4 bound spells (not including the carts). That is not the way I like to play. with that said, ways to get more magic into your list...

With 8 / 9 power dice for your Lord (6 + 2(3) more) there is not much need in having another vamp with Lord of the Dead. If you give your Vampires bound items they will not have the points to spend on many other magical items to increase their hitting power.

+1 lvl, AoD (shield), Book of Arkhan, and a 15 point magic weapon is your best bet at a casting / melee Vampire.

Of course if points are tight (and as a VC maxing character points they will be) you could always take a Wight King with a bound item either the Rod or Hand. The Wight King will still have a 4/3+ save and a magical weapon with killing blow, not to mention harder to kill then a Vamp.

Lord_Squinty
28-04-2008, 18:27
Okay, tweaked the list slightly -
Moved Helm of Command to a less killy Vamp, lost 1 cart and 1 bat.
Added a necromancer with Van hels and book of arkan - that way i'm gauranteed to get 2 shots at it.
I like the idea of the wight king, but really dont want to lose one ot those juicy arcane items ;)
Should I mount the necro on the cart? (then put the cart into a unit?)
Maybe swap the book of arkhan and the staff around, so I can get a weapon on that vamp....

Thanks all for your input so far.

1 Lord
+1 Magic level
Master of arts
Forbidden Lore
Lord of Dead
Flayed Hauberk
Biting Blade
Skull Staff

1 Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Lord of Dead
Helm of Command
Black Periapt

1 Vampire
Dark Acolyte
Staff of damnation

1 Necromancer
IoN, Van Hels Dance
Book of Arkhan

19 Graveguard
Command
Great Weapons
Banner of Barrows

2 Varghulf

2 Corpse Cart

14 Skeleton
Command

13 Skeleton
Command

13 Skeleton
Command

3 fell bats

Evil-Lite
28-04-2008, 19:33
Okay, tweaked the list slightly -

Should I mount the necro on the cart? (then put the cart into a unit?)
Maybe swap the book of arkhan and the staff around, so I can get a weapon on that vamp....

Placing a necro on a cart so the cart can enter a unit depends on how you deploy your units. If all of your units are going to be on the front line then I would not. Way to easy for the cart (and Necromancer) to get slaughtered by mage hunting units (Terradons / Eagles / Fast Cavalry / Etc).

Swapping who uses the staff and book will open up the option to get a magic weapon on your vampire like you said and I see no reason not to do this. If you really want Vanhals on your general I would take the know all spells. You will lose 1 power dice; however, you will always get the spells you want and reliably cast Vanhals on 2 dice with the skull staff. Of course that is a choice all Vamps must make on their own. All spells or 4 spells and +1 Power...

Lord_Squinty
29-04-2008, 16:02
Yes, I think I totally agree with the forbidden lore on my Lord, edited the above list to do so.

What do you think now?
Finished?

I'll go try it out tonight at my FLGS :)

Evil-Lite
29-04-2008, 16:27
Let us know how you do.

Lord_Squinty
29-04-2008, 21:19
Gah - it was so busy I never got a game...
(also I was too busy watching the new tzeentch army with screamer air force tearing up all comers)

I did have a discussion with my mate who has played Vamps since forever.
He was adamant I drop the Necromancer.
After a lengthy bit of scheming we came up with dropping the skull staff (It was pointed out that IoN was 4+ to cast, so I didnt really need it ;) ), necromancer, moving the Helm of command and black periapt onto the Lord and give the book to the now magic itemless vamp. This also frees up a few points - either for more skellies or another vamp.

I'll have a play about with the list and see where this takes me now....