PDA

View Full Version : What did your GW store do for the 25th Anniversary

Brimweave
27-04-2008, 23:02
I went to my local store (Chelmsford) Saturday for there celebration.
They had a raffle (you got a ticket for every 10 you spent) were they gave out prizes which were mostly old stock, novels and a space marine company box. The prizes were not just one novel or blister pack but lots of them in each single prize. The store was packed to the brim however, people outside the doors and probably about 150 + people easily.

I was wondering what everyone else GW store did for the anniversary, if you went and how many people we if you did go.

Also I was wondering if your GW store did have a raffle or something similar, did you win any prizes :D.

I won 4 novels (one signed by the author) and 2 old codex's as a single prize.

Feor
28-04-2008, 00:28
yesterday my local store had a party. It included a build a Warhammer competition, (as in an actual, swingable, warhammer), a "kill Harry" competition to showcase the new model, the store manager walking around with a Repent sticker on his forehead, free food (including cake which, despite the warnings, was not a lie, but delicious and moist), and a set of Grab Bag boxes, with bags of stuff that hadn't sold too well. Pick one bag for $15, get ~$100 worth of stuff. (I got 2 Skorchas in one bag. A Penitent Engine, The Throne of Judgement, and 5 Arco-flaggelents in another. And 10 Pestigors, a Khornegor command, and the Beastman Chariot special character in another. That last one's got me starting a Beastman army :))

Today they mixed the Legendary Battle and Siege rules and held a mega battle. Despite being outnumbered more than 2 to 1 the forces of disorder, led by Harry the Hammer , managed to squeak out a draw. I also recieved another grab bag for free, with 10 more pesitgors, another Khornegor command, and anothe Chariot, happily reinforcing my new army.

Everyone who participated this weekend got entered into a draw for to win either an entire Dark Eldar army, or a copy of the 1st Edition rulebook that came with the collectors edition rulebook. (As I understand it, donated by a staff member who has an original 1st edition rulebook and is insane enough to buy the special edition rulebook with the 1st edition book in it, so he gave teh reprint of the 1st edition book back)

SuperBeast
28-04-2008, 01:17
A 25 hour game of Warhammer involving 147K points of combatants.

I was one of 7 who managed the entire thing, and my black coach was the only thing that survived through all 25 turns...
(The 25 turns was a nice coincidence; our turn rate went from just over hourly to nearly 100 minutes when we hit 3am, but the last few turns sped up a little as reinforcements became scarce...)

Ravik
28-04-2008, 01:28
Grab bags of slightly used sprues, unboxed models and the like. An auctioning off of staff painted armies and models, two old GW games (DungeonBowl and Dark Future). There was some raffle, chariot races, and random battles going on too.

Most importantly (for me!) was the painting pledge, where a person had to paint 250 points worth of stuff (or 25 models etc) by the 25th anniversary. I painted 10 horrors, 6 furies and a flamer for this and got a free unopened Lord of Change set. Needless to say, I was pleased :p

Nocturnal
28-04-2008, 08:17
A 25 hour game of Warhammer involving 147K points of combatants.

I was one of 7 who managed the entire thing, and my black coach was the only thing that survived through all 25 turns...
(The 25 turns was a nice coincidence; our turn rate went from just over hourly to nearly 100 minutes when we hit 3am, but the last few turns sped up a little as reinforcements became scarce...)

I feel your pain................THE HORROR........OH THE HORROR

NakedBarbarian
28-04-2008, 08:32
I had to work so i missed out :(

Leogun_91
28-04-2008, 09:20
I won a special edition orc and goblin army box (first price) and three novels

RCgothic
28-04-2008, 09:32
GW Oxford had a 25 hour game, a painting competition and 'Harry with a Reasonably Priced Hammer' where you tried to kill as many skellies as possible with harry, and if you killed the most you won an inflatable warhammer. There was also a Warhammer themed birthday cake competition for a chance to win a batallion and the special edition rule book.

Griffo
28-04-2008, 09:34
The GW in Stoke (well, Hanley) just had lots of large fantasy battles. Also had raffles, quizes and give-aways!

Pretty much the same as what happened in the other stores you guys mentioned. Just the usual madness :D

Just gutted i couldn't stick around to game and see if i won anything with my raffle ticket. Was busy and had to go :(

Lord Omnissah
28-04-2008, 10:12
My store did... NOTHING (Dunh dunh dunh)
I was really **ssed off about that, I mean the sold all the 25th anniversary stuff and held a mega battle, but they do the mega battle every month anyways, so I felt cheated because that was the only GW left in my state, and all the independent retailers just have a little back shelf of random GW boxes that are maybe $2 or $3 below regular price. I mean, come on! Warhammer's turning freaking 25! We want a celebration. I'm being told of people winning free stuff and I'm thinking That could've been me! This is one of the few occasions where GW is actually being charitable, and now I'm gonna have to wait 5+ years for anything like this to happen again. [/rant]

Nocturnal
28-04-2008, 14:15
The Bath store did sooooo much stuff it was grea, 25 hour game that super beast mentioned, squig hopper racing(using some funcky goblin masks and a space hopper), loads of little fun games, cake, orc-shuns, a special character painting comp, speed painting, find a goblin for 25 days, a 25 day quiz and a 25 question iron man quiz (I lost by 1 point). I won overall on the day the limited edition orc army deal (the one with he ltd ed shaman), 2 empire battalions, about 60 worth of blisters and imrik and his dragon

All in all it was ace

cheers Alan and the crew

the1stpip
28-04-2008, 14:24
I was volunteering at Lenton, so I didn't have a lot of chance to get freebies, but we did get a free Harry for our efforts, and a party afterwards.

And I got to speak to Jervis, Rick Priestly and Robin Dews, so that was worthwhile.

dancingmonkey
28-04-2008, 14:24
@ Nocturnal... sorry matey... I only did the quiz the day before :)
Not like you didn't blag a huge sack of stuff anyway ;)

As he says, it was a good little day, sadly I had to go entertain the missus so couldn't stay to the end of the big game.

Sadly I doubt GW can do this sort of thing that often as the huge amount of stock they gave away would start to show. an't believe they gave away the ltd ed 7th ed book at Bath... (the new one wit hthe 1st ed rules included!)