PDA

View Full Version : Doom Eagle? What's a Doom Eagle?

Freak Ona Leash
15-10-2005, 23:56
Well, Freak has been painting up some schemes for a Space Marine Army when he realized something. He needed a chapter. He looked around and found one. Ignoring the fact that I had already assembled a small squad of red colored marines I satrted on a new project: The Doom Eagles. Besides their oh-so-imaginative name, I know almsot next to nothing about them, excpet that they are SMurfs 2nd founding, were in the 13th Black Crusade against the Plague of Unbelief with a Captian named Luctus. Oh, and James Swallow likes to write about them. Unfortuantly, I dont have access to the Infernos where Mr. Swallow wrote his stories on them, so I dont know any of that fluff that was in them. Some one help...er, please?

Moi Dix Mois
16-10-2005, 01:35
They might be the ones who are pcitured with jump packs in the 3rd edition codex maybe? I can't really remember.

If so maybe they focus on high speed/aerial assault. Blood Angels codex maybe?

If they're the ones I'm thinking of you can find them in that double page spread of the codes showing various different chaoters and how they're painted.

angelspast
16-10-2005, 02:43
Doom Eagles, Space Marine chapter. Ultramarine genestock, unknown founding, Codex Chapter. Otherwise unwritten.

devolutionary
16-10-2005, 02:56
Silver with black & company colour trim, suspected early founding. From all noted on them they do lean a bit towards rapid assault in terms of mobility, though more than likely it's drop pods and special weapon combat squads (it doesn't all have to be about bolt pistols and chainswords).

Ja'ei'makiir
16-10-2005, 03:08
Buzzed around but only really found two items.
One was a story that would seem to make the Doom Eagles prejudiced against the Flesh Tearers.
The other was something that said that the Doom Eagles philosophy was that everybody is dead already and just haven't realized it yet.
But this is all I could find.

There are several places that seem to be able to sell back issues of Inferno and the story called "What price victory?"

Nazguire
16-10-2005, 03:44
They are also extremely aloof, and don't like assistance from anybody. They take arrogance to a new level. This was in the Eye Of Terror write-up of the Chapters involved and the campaigns they fought in.

Tanith Ghost
16-10-2005, 03:55
There's mention of them in the 'Deathwatch' graphic novel. In addition to being aloof and arrogant, they seem drawn to misery and despair, almost as if they enjoy it. Ja'ei'makiir was dead on, their veiw is everyone is already dead. They also think everywhere is doomed, it's only a matter of time.

Centurion Cajun
16-10-2005, 05:01
You can find a painted mini of them in the Chapter Gallery in the Space Marines section of the GW site.

Shas'o'Fior
16-10-2005, 07:33
so to sum it up, their pessimists to the highest level?

MidnightResistance
16-10-2005, 07:59
Jump pack assault squad pessimists. Yes.

Brimstone
16-10-2005, 08:01
There is also a story about their initiates in one of the 40K compilation novels.

Freak Ona Leash
16-10-2005, 09:11
Hm, so Doom Eagles are a bunch of very angry pessimists...do I see a connection to Warseer? :p Anyways, thanks guys. My local Barnes&Noble has several copies of What Price Victroy I believe, so I'll pick that up.

Inquisitor S.
16-10-2005, 15:05
Homeworld: Gathis II, the Chapter Fortress seems to be there in "Ghostmountain". Here a quote that sums up their attitude:

All of creation suffers, young ones. Only in accepting our own mortality can we make a difference. Only in bearing the burden of our failures can we find the strength to go on. Only in detachment from glory, or honour, or jealousy... from life itself can we hope to spare others from grief.

We are Doom Eagles. And we are dead already.

Some places where they battled: Kallern, Kript, Merron, 13th Black Crusade, Yayor, Belis Corona, Deliverance...

Some known Doom Eagles: Librarian Thryn, Captain Luctus, Captain Consultus, Sgt. Tarikus...

kirktheorc
17-10-2005, 06:27
Hmmm from what I'm hearing the lamenters cursed founding might be something to look into for rules. Although I'm not sure you'd want to go that route...

Nazguire
17-10-2005, 08:04
Homeworld: Gathis II, the Chapter Fortress seems to be there in "Ghostmountain". Here a quote that sums up their attitude:

Some places where they battled: Kallern, Kript, Merron, 13th Black Crusade, Yayor, Belis Corona, Deliverance...

Some known Doom Eagles: Librarian Thryn, Captain Luctus, Captain Consultus, Sgt. Tarikus...

How can they have battled at Deliverance? That is the Raven Guard's homeworld...

Inquisitor S.
17-10-2005, 09:00
Deliverance is an Imperial Carrier (in this case), although there's more than one planet with that name.

Inquisitor S.
18-10-2005, 12:03
Doom Eagles (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Doom_Eagles)

Lexicanum article on the Doom Eagles

Jaybot
18-10-2005, 15:22
I think I read about them in an Eye of Terror campaign on a White Dwarf. Didn't they go traitor?

Inquisitor S.
18-10-2005, 15:31
Don't think that they've gone traitor as I haven't found a single source indicating that.

Slazton
18-10-2005, 19:17
They are still loyal as the Doom Eagles view themselves as dead as they are awaiting to rejoin the Emperor in the End Days.

That is why they view everyone as dead as what they do now only gets them to the Emperor's Side (this is an assumption btw).

I like them and feel as if they are good army to use in close combat orientated way. I would change them though using the Trait system as they favour hand to hand and the no allies rule, but thats just me.

Freak Ona Leash
18-10-2005, 19:17
I think I read about them in an Eye of Terror campaign on a White Dwarf. Didn't they go traitor?
Er, no. They, to my knowledge, sent three Companies to fight at the Belis Corona sub-sector.

Tom
18-10-2005, 21:45
With regards to traits, I've run off the idea that since we only ever see Assault Squads of them painted up, they use them a lot.

Blessed be the Warriors for the plus, with Trust your Battle Brothers as the secondary option, and Death before Dishonour as their main negative with Eye to Eye* if TyBB is used.

*To promote Assault marines in their FA slots.

Nazguire
19-10-2005, 07:45
With regards to traits, I've run off the idea that since we only ever see Assault Squads of them painted up, they use them a lot.

Blessed be the Warriors for the plus, with Trust your Battle Brothers as the secondary option, and Death before Dishonour as their main negative with Eye to Eye* if TyBB is used.

*To promote Assault marines in their FA slots.

It may also be that we see painted Assault Squads painted up because they are famed for using them, not because they have an overly large preference for them. Also because their names are Doom Eagles, it would look silly to see a Devastator Squad :p

Gethalorre
19-10-2005, 16:11
Y-you mean that... That flying heavy weapons i-is unrealistic!:cries:

Seriously, I think Nazguire is right. Doom Eagles. Read: flying.

Tom
19-10-2005, 18:02
It may also be that we see painted Assault Squads painted up because they are famed for using them, not because they have an overly large preference for them. Also because their names are Doom Eagles, it would look silly to see a Devastator Squad :p

Of course, that's not to say I don't have a full-strength Bike squad painted up for that single slot there...

Grand_Marshal_Kazan
20-10-2005, 18:20
Well, Freak has been painting up some schemes for a Space Marine Army when he realized something. He needed a chapter. He looked around and found one. Ignoring the fact that I had already assembled a small squad of red colored marines I satrted on a new project: The Doom Eagles. Besides their oh-so-imaginative name, I know almsot next to nothing about them, excpet that they are SMurfs 2nd founding, were in the 13th Black Crusade against the Plague of Unbelief with a Captian named Luctus. Oh, and James Swallow likes to write about them. Unfortuantly, I dont have access to the Infernos where Mr. Swallow wrote his stories on them, so I dont know any of that fluff that was in them. Some one help...er, please?

The Doom Eagles appeared in the Warhammer Monthly story 'Last Stand on Yayor' from issues 70 to 72 & 75.

cailus
22-10-2005, 09:31
Doom Eagles. Read: flying.

Hmmm...does this mean that the US Navy fighter squadron known as the Jolly Rogers are not actually fighter pilots who fly modern jet aircraft but actually pirates with hooks, eye patches and parrots?

And the Black Aces are gamblers?

So the defence of the USA is partially in the hands of a bunch of pirates and gamblers? :D

Nazguire
22-10-2005, 09:35
Hmmm...does this mean that the US Navy fighter squadron known as the Jolly Rogers are not actually fighter pilots who fly modern jet aircraft but actually pirates with hooks, eye patches and parrots?

And the Black Aces are gamblers?

So the defence of the USA is partially in the hands of a bunch of pirates and gamblers? :D

Seeming as back in the day when the US Navy were sail-boats, this doesn't seem out of the trend

cailus
23-10-2005, 03:10
Seeming as back in the day when the US Navy were sail-boats, this doesn't seem out of the trend

OK, what about VAW-78 Fighting Escargot, VR-46 Peach Airlines or SFWPD Desert Outlaws (lotsa water in the desert)? :D

devolutionary
23-10-2005, 04:10
Y-you mean that... That flying heavy weapons i-is unrealistic!:cries:

Seriously, I think Nazguire is right. Doom Eagles. Read: flying.

Raptors - not renowned for flying
Dark Angels - I see no flying
Space Sharks - distinct lack of swimming

The names mean very little in most occurances. They're merely names. The Doom Eagles were a Codex Company back in the day (Codex Ultramarines), and so they should stay.

Nazguire
23-10-2005, 04:24
OK, what about VAW-78 Fighting Escargot, VR-46 Peach Airlines or SFWPD Desert Outlaws (lotsa water in the desert)? :D

An example of Vegas Mob Bosses being put in high places in the US Military :p

Tom
23-10-2005, 18:13
An example of Vegas Mob Bosses being put in high places in the US Military :p

Heh, to hell with invading Korea, just kneecap KJI. Then demand protection money.

The Doom Eagles were a Codex Company back in the day (Codex Ultramarines), and so they should stay.

I still don't see them using anything outside the Codex. The Traits system is regarded, IIRC, as those alterations tolerated and allowed by the Codex.

Freak Ona Leash
23-10-2005, 22:29
Heh, to hell with invading Korea, just kneecap KJI. Then demand protection money.

Bah, some nice concrete shoes would fix him. ;)