PDA

View Full Version : Harry the Hammer scam type thing.

Caelas
28-04-2008, 01:29
Ok, well yesterday I went onto GW's site to purchase good old Harry. I was surprised when I saw that there were 4 left! I instantly purchased it without thought. After I purchased it, the counter remained the same.
WTF? I thought. Oh well, it must take a while to go through.

Guess what? It's still the exact same!
Gw lied about the counter to get more purchases of an already overpriced model, and for one I think that is technically speaking, a crime.

Go check the online store and see for yourself. Here is the link, and I'll upload a pic if you want to see.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=306339&orignav=304711&ParentID=260357&GameNav=13

Templar Ben
28-04-2008, 02:18
Looks like it says negative 4. I wonder what the glitch is.

RavenMorpheus
28-04-2008, 02:42
Oh dear GW have a problem with their online store...

...Wouldn't be the first company to have such a problem would they?

I doubt very much that it's a "scam" or intentional, despite my view of GW's current business practices I doubt they'd stoop that low...

Templar Ben
28-04-2008, 04:37
Perhaps the countdown won't actually start until Monday as they get rid of whatever stock didn't sell through stores?

Kulgur
28-04-2008, 05:26
Says minus 4 not 4

xowainx
28-04-2008, 07:38
Anyone who buys a model just because it's limited, or there's not many left is an idiot. It's hardly a scam, you don't have to buy something just because it might be worth slightly more in the future and, to be honest, if you do you deserve to find out it's not what you hoped for.

Commissar Holt
28-04-2008, 07:46
Well knowing GW and the technical marvel that is their websites, I'm not overly suprised. Its random stuff like this that makes me love the company so much lol.

Rekmar
28-04-2008, 08:31
My local GW store had sold out by the time I got in, however, they did take my order and told me to pick it up on friday as they will be doing another casting run to meet such orders. So guessing that even if it did say minus 4, then you'll still get your model.

blongbling
28-04-2008, 10:40
my udnerstanding is that there isnt another casting run and thats it........

Grimtuff
28-04-2008, 10:46
It says minus 4, what's the big deal? :confused:

thommo
28-04-2008, 11:12
Gw lied about the counter to get more purchases of an already overpriced model, and for one I think that is technically speaking, a crime.

I will never understand moans like this!!! :confused:...Let me try....

You went to the GW online store to buy a model that you wanted to buy and were willing to pay for.

You bought the model...you're happy with your purchase and you then notice the stock level hasn't changed.

You then decide to come onto the Net and bitch about the model being over priced and GW having committed a crime!!! :wtf:

Aside from there being a myriad of reasons why the stock level hadn't changed (new stock replacing old, cancelled orders, returns, stock counting glitchs...etc...etc) why on earth would you decide GW had done something criminal, you went to buy the model you wanted, you bought the model you wanted...where's the problem?

Sheeeesh!

Templar Ben
28-04-2008, 11:35
Perhaps it is due to different countries having laws on "Limited Edition". I don't think GW is purposefully skirting a countries laws here but there are legal limits on what it means to be limited at least in the US.

That is why advertisements here normally states how long they will be manufacturing an item. Limited to 30 days, etc.

I think this was a technical error though.

njfed
28-04-2008, 12:30
I predict they will be available on ebay for some time to come. I would not be surprised if you could not get one for less than list price that way. My local store had at least 4 late last night that they were trying to sell. One guy mentioned buying them to put on ebay and the store owner warned him not to as he would lose money.

Darnok
28-04-2008, 12:38
Anyone who buys a model just because it's limited is an idiot.

I suppose every collector out there would like to thank you for that friendly characterisation. :eyebrows:

weareinalotoftroublebeale
28-04-2008, 12:46
Not surprised at this error.

Re: Harry the Hammer.... I am really surprised there is still a few left. That must be bad.

I got mine. Beautiful model. However the worst casting I have seen. Had to spend a long time cleaning and adding allot of putty and pinning to this model.

One of the worst casts I have dealt with. Still a great model.

Thanks
Beale

yabbadabba
28-04-2008, 15:07
Any chance we can close this thread as being, essentially, pointless please?

OLIVERASO
28-04-2008, 15:27
Anyone who buys a model just because it's limited is an idiot.

Oooh great.
Another great reflexion please ?

Oliveraso ; collector of limited edition, limited release, unreleased, greens and three-up of citadel miniatures :rolleyes:.

yabbadabba
28-04-2008, 15:28
Oooh great.
Another great reflexion please ?

Oliveraso ; collector of limited edition, limited release, unreleased, greens and three-up of citadel miniatures :rolleyes:.

you should check out what I'm selling on ebay then :D

Grimtuff
28-04-2008, 17:37

Well, if you're going to do that then you may as well close down most of 40k general then..... :rolleyes:

Temprus
28-04-2008, 18:32
Note: this is not aimed at you, yabbadabba, just a general rant. :D Why do people even bother to respond to a thread that they feel this about? Report it if you feel the need, otherwise just ignore it. ;) Obviously if it is a truly bad thread (personal attacks or other against Warseer's rules), just report it, and then just let it go. :angel:

I will have to disagree, Grimtuff. You would have to shut down most of Warseer! :D

On Topic: The way GW sells "limited editions" is a "scam", BUT they are very legal ones that companies have been using for a long time. Then again, GW pretty much gives anyone that wants a limited mini a later chance to get it, either at Games Days or such, or as freebies for subscribing to White Dwarf (some GW even sell them, such as GW CA). Only LE mini I have not been offered a second (or tenth) chance to get in the last 2 years or so was the 30th White Dwarf 3 mini set and you were still able to get it from GW direct for awhile afterwards (who knows, we still might get an offer for any left as WD freebies). I suspect this is part of why GW has implied that they are going to have more "direct only" and have less limited edition models except the occasional new White Dwarf freebie, yearly Games Day, or anniversary minis.

Komnenos
29-04-2008, 08:22
I think you're onto something there Caelas, you should contact the FBI.

Caelas
29-04-2008, 22:16
Ok, first off, gw is now deciding NOT to sell me one. I am not getting it. The counter said 4 when i purchased it, not -4. Okay? I was just complaining about how GW markets their lmt minis.

njfed
29-04-2008, 23:46
Not to worry, Caelas, Ebay has plenty listed and I expect more will be showing up every day...until GW empties the warehouse.

Captain Brown
30-04-2008, 15:04
Well, enough has been said about the internet counter on the GW site. Several members have decided to carry the argument beyond that and throw some casual insults, so this thread no longer serves any useful purpose.

Thread closed.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition