PDA

View Full Version : Forest Spirits 500, First Fantasy army.

Dyrnwyn
28-04-2008, 02:30
So a bunch of my friends are starting small 500 point Fantasy armies, and I'm considering starting one of my own. I'm looking at playing Wood Elves with nothing but Forest Spirits. I've never played Fantasy, so I'm wondering before I start buying; is this viable?

List I'm looking at:
1 Branchwraith - L1 wizard
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
Total: 499 points

It's not really fast, but it's alot of skirmishers, so I can try and get around to flanks, and the Branchwraith will let me shift around some forests to help provide cover, or give me a different spell if I feel like it (i.e, there's no worrying about dispel). The other big advantage is price; this is three boxes of Dryads, and a blister if I feel like buying a Branchwraith instead of just converting one of the spare Dryads I'll have. If the models themselves aren't a problem, would it be better for me to buy a spite or two instead of the wizard upgrade?

The Alternate List
1 Branchwraith
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
8 Dryads
5 Wild Riders w/standard
Total: 501 points

I know, speed and flanking are important, and Wild Riders are Forest Spirits. But I'm hesitant to buy them when they're so expensive. Plus, the main reason why I want to play the Forest Spirits is that I like the idea of the trees coming alive and attacking. And while Wild Riders have the Forest Spirit special rule, they really aren't very tree-like.

Sarael
28-04-2008, 06:16
In a normal game at 500, you'll have to watch out for ranked units of cheap troops (empire, bret peasants, gobbos). In a skirmish game at 500, you'll be very strong.

Mercules
28-04-2008, 18:35
In your first list, your Branchwraith is a level one Wizard. You won't be sneaking that ONE spell past many people since everyone gets 2 dispel dice. If you want the magic defense from that level then simply take the Radiant spite it is cheaper.

Dyrnwyn
28-04-2008, 19:49
In your first list, your Branchwraith is a level one Wizard. You won't be sneaking that ONE spell past many people since everyone gets 2 dispel dice. If you want the magic defense from that level then simply take the Radiant spite it is cheaper.

Really? I haven't had a chance to look through the core rulebook yet, so I'm going off of friends' accounts of how Fantasy works and extrapolations from Army Builder. So they can attempt to dispel even if they don't have a wizard/dispel scroll? I was told not many armies can fit any sort of wizard in 500 points, so I thought I was pretty safe from dispel. Damn, looking at the rules for the wood elves' magic staff, I guess I can't cast multiple times without something special either. So picking up a spite or two is a better idea than upping the Branchwraith to a wizard? If so, what's a better idea, giving her Terror, or picking up both Annoyance of Netlings and Murder of Spites?

Be Afraid
28-04-2008, 20:02
ye, u'd be best off taking cluster of radiants and either murder of spites, or annoyance of nettlings.

on magic. you get 2 power dice and 2 dispel dice for showing up, then extra for wizards, so an army always has some magic defense.

also, for more veriety, i'd try work some tree-kin into there, instea of 2 units of dryads

Mercules
28-04-2008, 20:14
As Be Afraid has stated you receive 2 PD and 2 DD just for being there. At 500 points most armies won't have much more than 2-3 Dispel Dice but a level 1 Wizard only has one spell and can only use 2 dice max while casting. This means you get to throw out one spell with a good chance of them dispelling it on you. Not impressive for the amount of points.

It gets better if you have the Spellsinger with the staff that lets you endlessly cast Treesinging as you can throw one die at it over and over and maybe drain them out of dice or if you had a bunch of bound spells to cast as well, but that is not the case.

If you are taking it for magical defense, as I said, the Cluster of Radiants is a cheaper option for an extra DD which could make the difference in a game especially one where all your troops have a Ward Save but no armor and that ward save isn't effective against MAGIC. ;)

Oh, and Treekin would be very resilient but expensive.