PDA

View Full Version : 500 points of Beards & Bellies

Grom Wronghand
28-04-2008, 15:00
Just came up with a new 500 point list here, thought I'd see what you all think of it. If anyone replies that is ;).

Thane
Great Weapon
Rune of Iron (+1 AS)

20 Warriors
Shields
Full Command

14 Quarrelers
Musician

Bolt Thrower
Engineer

Thar ya goo. After I had my units set up and the bolt thrower I had twelve points left so I gave my thane the rune of iron and the bolt thrower the rune of burnyness, mainly because my common enemy, who uses high elves likes to run a mage with the cloak of only hurt by magic things.

Mercules
28-04-2008, 18:21
Loose the Rune of Burning against HEs. Any model that has Dragon Armor will otherwise be immune to your Bolt Thrower.

Otherwise it looks like you have enough here to bring pain to those that do not approach and a nice solid block to hurt anyone who does. Your Dispel Dice at 500 points are obscenely good(4) so you are fairly free to range and melee your way to victory.

Grom Wronghand
28-04-2008, 18:45
Doesn't the dragon armour only work against pure flaming attacks like warpfire throwers, dragon breath, fireball spells etc. and as the bolt thrower consists of a bolt which happens to be on fire...?

Just in case, I've got rid of that and I've got a muscian for the quarelers instead.

Archon.42
28-04-2008, 18:58
no dragon armour makes you immune to all flaming attacks
but the mage cant have dragon armour, so set those bolts on fire and skewer the pointy-ear ;)

Grom Wronghand
28-04-2008, 19:03
Good, he always plays mages as his heroes, I've only ever seen him take a noble once.

Mercules
28-04-2008, 20:23
Be aware there are OTHER HE objects that make you immune to flaming attacks. For example, the Amulet of Fire gives the Bearer MR(1) and makes them Immune to Flaming Attacks. They can give this to some unit Champions.

A sneaky thing to do would be to put it on something like Sword Masters and offer you a flank shot at them with his champion on that flank. That is a tempting target for a bolt thrower. However, with the flaming rune and his item you will do NO damage to him and so not penetrate, wasted shot. Otherwise his mage could pick it up should he guess you might put that rune on something like a weapon.

Edit: I like the Musician on the Quarrelers. Maybe you can set up a bait and flee chance if he goes after them and give your Warriors a nice flank charge.

Dead Man Walking
29-04-2008, 02:40
The mage may be etherial but etherial will not save him when he looses to combat resolution. Personally I think if your going to buy 14 quarrelers I think you would be better off with 10 thunderers, hits easier and additional -1 to armor saves.

As for the thane I would take 1+ armor rune and a great weapon. Yours works too, just keep him cheap.

Dead Man Walking
29-04-2008, 02:56
Try this list,

Thane + master rune of gromil + great weapon + Dwarf Handgun

x10 riflers + standard and musician + shields

x10 riflers + standard and musician + shields

Bolt thrower +Champion

Riflers fight almost as well as warriors but your assuring that they are helping you win in combat and in the shooting phase. Try and get the riflers on a hill so you get rank + standard +defending hill as combat bonus.

You can either place the bolt thrower near these 2 units or place it way away from them. This assures your opponent has to split something off to deal with it and its cheap. Otherwise they have to take lots of flank shots.

If you had 30 points to mess with (-1 dwarf handgun on thane - bolt thrower champ -musician) I would consider the rune of immolation on the bolt thrower, that way what ever goes after it gets nuked after they kill the last defending dwarf. Or you could put it in front of the hill (you want them to charge it before anything else.) and make the bolt thrower into a land mine. What ever hits it takes 2d6 str 4 magical hits. Thats a land mine no one wants to step on.

ozzymandeus
29-04-2008, 04:56
Just came up with a new 500 point list here, thought I'd see what you all think of it. If anyone replies that is ;).

Thane
Great Weapon
Rune of Iron (+1 AS)

20 Warriors
Shields
Full Command

14 Quarrelers
Musician

Bolt Thrower
Engineer

Thar ya goo. After I had my units set up and the bolt thrower I had twelve points left so I gave my thane the rune of iron and the bolt thrower the rune of burnyness, mainly because my common enemy, who uses high elves likes to run a mage with the cloak of only hurt by magic things.

Hmm Here is my opinion:

Outfit your thane with the best rune possible, and scratch the great weapon....

Thane ( 92 pts )
Master Rune of Gromril
Hand weapon and shield

Scratch the Quarrellers and Warriors... instead get:

2 X 10 Thunderers ( 290 pts )
w/ Shields
Full Command

2 x Bolt Thrower ( 105 pts )
w/ only 1 engineer

That Brings your point total to 487

With the last 13 points, eighter add

Rune of Striking (+1 Weapon Skill) to your Thane (10 pts)

OR

Rune of Reloading to your Bolt Thrower w/ Engineer (10 pts)
Allows your bolt thrower to shoot every turn even with missfires. Very Deadly since you will be using your Engineer's "BS"

Summary:

To start, your Dwarf so you got 4 Dispel Dice (very Niice :D)

You sit back, weaken down the enemy with your deadly bolt throwers.

Once they come within range, your Thunderers blow the living hell outta the elves with their guns ( Remember they get +1 to hit with their Dwarven Handguns, and -2 to Armor save with armor piercing STR 4 Hits, and whats even better... at long range there is no penalty :P)

And since our lucky dwarven thunderers have full command, they will definetly be able to hold on in Close Combat (LD 9) , especially against some shot up elves who would have at least lost 10 - 15 soldiers by now.

In such a small game, you can have your Thane run around by himself, possibly somewhere on the the flank to lend support for the thunderers, or go head to head against FAST CAV. +1 Armor save is nothing to laugh at, just don't reveal that to your opponent until he is actually fighting your General in Close Combat.

And since this Dwarf army is all shooty, I would assume that with good rolling, there won't really be much left of any elves to even get to your army :D

Smallest games I play are 750 pts, and I usually have solo Thane and Runesmith running around lending support to my infantry. VERY Deadly!

This list would rock against Night Goblins, just use your Thane to Draw out Fanatics at the right time, so they damage their own men. He get +3 armor save against them with the Rune, and I usually outfit him with Rune of Iron or 2, +5 Ward Save :P

Enjoy :D

Dead Man Walking
29-04-2008, 11:11
It just seems a waste to go with hand weapon and shield and master rune of gromil because you can't get better than a 1+ save with gromil. Go great weapon or add a cheap rune to the weapon to fight better because you dont get the hand weapon shield bonus.

Mercules
29-04-2008, 12:52
So the last couple of suggestions for the army are...
"Scrap what you have and just make a gunline like everyone else's.":wtf:

People post their idea for an army list up here to get suggestions not to get a completely different list than they posted. Usually they want tweaks, not 180 deg direction changes.

Grom Wronghand
29-04-2008, 16:12
Yeah... exactly what Mercules said. I want help with adjusting my army list, not scrapping it and building a new one. If I wanted a gunline that would A) rely on sheer luck and B) bore the hell out of me and my opponent then I'd do that. But I personally like fun games rather than shoot the hell out of them games. I'm feeling a bit guilty about one bolt thrower in 500 points and you suggest a gunline no thanks.

Now, if anyon actually has any constructive criticism, then please go right ahead.

Mercules
29-04-2008, 18:42
I'm feeling a bit guilty about one bolt thrower in 500 points and you suggest a gunline no thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you had 3-4 of the dang things... you might have right to feel guilty. If you were one of those Goblin players with 6 of the things in 500 points, well...

Scooner
29-04-2008, 19:33
i dont want to throw my ten pence in but i like you list with warriors and a little gun line. stunties are good at shooting as wel as formidable in combat.

id stick with it and only change it if you feel you have to..

im a skaven, vamp and gobbo player..play how YOU want it and can play it..