PDA

View Full Version : 2K High Elves

spartan116
28-04-2008, 17:23
Okay I just threw this army together for a few pick-up games with some buddies. They play Skaven and Orcs and Gobbos. Feel free to destroy/mangle as much as you want. I have just started in Fantasy and am in the learning phase.

HQ

Prince (536)
Moon Dragon
Armor of Calador
Vambraces of Defence
Lance

Mage (165)
Lvl. 2
Silver Wand
Dispel Scroll

Mage (165)
Lvl. 2
Silver Wand
Dispel Scroll

Troops

Archers x 10 (120)
Hawkeye

Archers x 10 (120)
Hawkeye

Spearmen x 20 (200)
Sentinel
Standard

Special

Swordmaster x 15 (269)
Bladelord w/Dispel Scroll
Standard

Dragon Princes x 5 (210)
Drakemaster w/Dispel Scroll
Standard

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower (100)

Total of 1985

Adam87
28-04-2008, 17:30
Your bladelord and drakemaster cant take dispel scrolls only wizards can take arcane items

SilentStalker
28-04-2008, 17:42
your mages can't take the same magic item (silver wand). Also I would drop the hawkeyes from the archer units

Marwynn
28-04-2008, 17:44
That's true. Also you can only take some items once. The only exceptions are Scrolls and Power Stones.

So no you can't have 2 Silver Wands.

Now, onto the army.

Remove the Hawkeyes from the Archers. They're unnecessary. Give full command to the Spearelves, that means a musician.

As was said your champions can't take Scrolls. Give your Dragon Princes the Banner of Ellyrion and get a 6th one in there if you have the model for it.

Sword Masters are typically used 7-wide and maybe 2-deep at this points level. Or just a unit of 10-12 with 7 in front and 5 in the second rank to absorb wounds.

Consider getting Special choices.

Do you really want the Spearelves? They're a great unit but if you're looking for a solid block of infantry you can't go wrong with Phoenix Guard. They won't kill much, but they'll hardly be killed either.

Actually I'd ditch some Archers instead. You have two RBTs which is good enough. You still have some Rare slots too. Dumping one Archer unit and grabbing a third RBT wouldn't be a bad idea.

Just don't deploy them near each other.

Use any freed up points to get yourself some Great Eagles (one if you get the third RBT). You can use them to march block and delay your opponent's approach, allowing you shoot for longer and pick apart the enemy army or go warmachine hunting with it.

Dalhara
28-04-2008, 17:59
first things first, its a nice idea, but unfortunately the unit champs cant take dispel scrolls hehe

second, archers tend to be very overpriced for what they can actually accomplish, and you already have the 2 bolt throwers for the serious shooting support

If your intent on bow troops I would highly recommend 2 units of 15 Lothern Seaguard with shields and full command (costs about the same as all 3 of your current choices I believe) to replace all 3 of your current core selections, put 1 mage in each unit so they'll be nice and protected. Normally I would say don't bother with a unit champion, but with the mage there its nice to have one to sacrifice to an enemy challenge to save your mage at least one turn

The seaguard are more expensive than the archers and have only a 24" range, but then your mages magic missiles are generally 24" as well, which means as long as the mage can do his thing the seaguard can as well, secondly the seaguard are the most tactically flexible core choice available and usually severly underestimated. deploy them 10 +5 on a hill to get all 15 shooting and then reform ranks the turn before your going to get charged to be 5x3. When charged the unit will get at least 5 shots as a stand and shoot reaction on flat terrain and then 15 ASF spear attacks before the enemy can even attempt to hit them, and on hills that changes to 10 bow shots plus 15 spear 25 attacks that the enemy has to weather just to reach them, the look on your opponents face is priceless when he realizes just how many attacks your about to throw his way hehe.

if you are set on having the archers however I would probably drop the champion since archers don't make very good bodyguards for casters, you'll have to sacrifice their extended range to get the mage into firing range and they wont hold up to an enemy charge, I highly recommend 2 units of spear wielding elves be they spearmen or seaguard.

I'm guessing your sword masters are intended to be setup 5x3? personally I would drop them to 14 and go 7x2 to get the maximum number of attacks in, the second rank is more to absorb losses without losing killing power than for the rank bonus. as for a replacement item for the champion to carry (if you really want one, he isn't strictly necessary) I think id go for the amulet of fire just because of the skaven, they're going to pummel the SMs with a lot of firepower and since the warp lightning is a spell at the least they'll have a little more protection against them. Sword masters are quite fragile vs shooting however so you'll have to be extremely careful, the bright side is I have seen a unit of sword masters single handedly massacre half a skaven army, its like tossing the rats into a wood chipper, it ain't pretty :evilgrin:

The dragon princes, again I usually find champions to be unnecessary, I would take a musician though, just in case you find yourself on the wrong end of a charge its nice to be able to flee it and be a little more certain of their ability to rally (plus most people seem to be shocked when dragon princes flee, maybe thats just my area though)

Not really sure how many points would be saved taking the above advice, but if you can fit it a great eagle makes a nice war machine hunter / march blocker or a sacrificial unit to redirect frenzied troops away from the battle.

thats about all I can think of atm, just woke up a little while ago however so if anything comes to me I'll throw it in

spartan116
28-04-2008, 20:09
Okay after reading the comments I have decided to make a legal list :p

HQ

Prince (536)
Moon Dragon
Armor of Calador
Vambraces of Defence
Lance

Mage (165)
Lvl. 2
Silver Wand
Dispel Scroll

Mage (145)
Talsiman of Protection
Dispel Scroll

Troops

Archers x 10 (110)

Lothern Sea Gaurd w/Shields x 15 (215)
Sea Master
Standard

Special

Swordmaster x 14 (254)
Bladelord w/Amulet of Fire
Standard

Dragon Princes x 6 (225)
Musician
Standard w/ Banner of Ellyrion

Rare

Great Eagle (50)

2000 points exactly. Thanks for all the comments and help. What do you think about this list?