PDA

View Full Version : a challenge vc army list..themed

Scooner
28-04-2008, 20:33
Right putting together a list i want to try for this years GT.

let me know your most indepth feelings on this....

vamp lord (lv3, forbidden lore, red fury, flayed hauberk, hand of dust, abysel terror)

necro with book of archan
necro with rofd

wight lord on nightmare

both on corpse carts with balefie

3 x 25 strong zombies

5 x black knights

additional corpse cart with balefire

2 varghulfs

let me know what you think and please rip it to shreds....

Evil-Lite
28-04-2008, 21:26
1. Lord is on a large target with no ward save. Go against any shooting and you will have 1 dead general.

2. No magic weapon to increase your Generals ability to deal damage. While I expect you to take the Lore of Fire (Beasts is on foot only) depending on 1 spell to win a combat is not the smartest choice.

3. You have nothing to give static combat res. Zombies do not count for they will be giving away more combat res then they earn even if they attack first.

4. You do not have any place for the Necros to hide, so any army that has mage hunters / warmachine killers will decimate the corpse carts and Necros in very little time. And more then likely the zombie units as well.

5. The only way I can see this list winning combat is to have the Lord flank charge a unit to negate ranks and do a combo charge with both Varghuls to the front.

Lord Dan
28-04-2008, 21:37
Honestly there's no substance to this army. While 3 corpse carts, 2 vargulfs and an abyssal terror might be funny, I don't see them doing nearly enough damage on their own. Bear in mind, VC are best played with multiple units running around supporting each other, because failing combat for undead is so unforgiving. If a chaos lord on a dragon fails combat, it's not the end of the world. If a vampire lord on an abyssal terror loses combat, it's pretty much the end of the world.

Malagant
29-04-2008, 05:05
With my one whole VC game experience ( :) ) I have to agree with the others. The large zombie blocks will have nice static CR, but they'll do virtually no damage themselves, and any enemy hitting them will hit on 3's and wound on 3's...probably 2's. You'll be very hard-pressed to keep those units intact...you only have 7 PD total, and since you have Forbidden Lore I assume you want to do something other than cast Invocation the whole match.

I don't know what a Wight Lord is. If you mean Wight King, he can't ride a nightmare, he rides a skeletal steed.

I'm curious what lore you intend to use with your Vampire Lord. Anything 'magic missley' will require you out of combat, but he's got nice combat powers...you won't want him sitting back casting, you'll want him in melee asap.

Unless I'm too sleepy to add, you're 100 points short. Drop the zombies, get ghouls or skeletons (3x15). Drop a varghulf, get something ethereal. Focus your lord: casty support or melee support. Consider barding for the Black Knights.

Love the three Balefires! :)

Scooner
29-04-2008, 07:33
fair enough on the ripping apart routine...i was just going for a bit of a themed army that looked intersting.

im gonna try and re-jig it to take the terror out and wight lord on steed (i ment skeletal steed previously. sorry!) and fit in a unit of Grave guard and ry and fit a skeletal unit somewhere whist keeping with the zombie horde theme.

i like 2 varghulfs, one coz of model and 2 for the ability..

Scooner
29-04-2008, 08:38
right ok..

taken notes previously i wont do a themed list, try this one out..

vamp lord as above without a terror but talisman of protection and talisman of lynci. in a unit of 19 grave guard

vamp with avatar of death, lord of the dead, book of archan,sword of battle in a unit of 14 skelies

vamp with avatar of death, lord of the dead, rod of flaming, bting blade in a unit of 14 skelies

2 varghulfs

2 corpse carts with balefires

30 zombies

let me know what you think to this one...

Evil-Lite
29-04-2008, 12:11
There is nothing wrong with taking a themed army list. With that said.

Do you think 4 (2+1+1) power dice will be enough to get your skeleton units strong enough before they enter battle?

Scooner
29-04-2008, 12:59
i would think so due to the number of bound spells to start with and i want to using road blocks for the rest of the army to move in..

im used to skaven with 13 power dice, but now i want combat in your face style... i have nearly 9000 pts to play with (ex staff member)

ive taken skaven to the gt twice and missed out on qualifing by 1 pt both times so want to go more agressive..

Scooner
29-04-2008, 13:00
oh and the lord will be level 3 so it would be 7 power dice not 4...

Evil-Lite
29-04-2008, 15:34
Your Lord does not have Lord of the Dead meaning only your 2 level 1 Vamps can increase the skeletons past their starting strength. With no B.P. that leave 2 base power dice and 1 power die from each vamp to raise more skeletons per phase (hence the 4 power dice). As far as bound spells go, on turn 1 people will not be stopping the carts nor the book and you can not use the hand of dust yet. This leaves the Rod and any spells your Lord will cast (with 3 power dice) to dispel besides the 4 incantations (1 of which should not go off). Even an army with a single scroll cady will be able to prevent you from raising into 1 (if not both) of the skeleton units. Fight an army that can charge on turn 2 (Brets / Ogres / Etc) and you will be looking at the skeletons going bye-bye and your vamps with them because of combat res.

Hence my question. Do you think 4 power dice is enough magic to increase your skeletons to a decent fighting state before combat starts?

Scooner
29-04-2008, 17:11
im trying it this week so will have to try.

i werent sounding like a muppet, just stating i would have 7 dice not 4. ive always gone for armies where is a challenge to get there and then false sense of security.

you may not agree but i just wanted some thoughts on it..

Malagant
29-04-2008, 17:25
I'm anxious to hear how you do with this! Do you know who your first opponent will be?

If your opponent isn't very magic heavy, maybe replacing one of the balefires with a lodestone to help keep your guys on their feet!

I still don't like your Lord...he seems to be having an identity crisis. Will he be in melee using that Red Fury, and Hand? Or will he be trying to support with his Forbidden Lore spells? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems unlikely that you'll get full value out of either unless you're dedicated to doing one or the other. Did you have a Lore in mind? Beast could work, I reckon.

Good luck! Let us know how your game goes!

Scooner
29-04-2008, 17:33
im loking at beasts anyways with bears anger. im trying to go for 7 str 7 attacks with red fury after.

he is a complete melee junky when i get bears anger off, i know players will always dispell this and yes i havent got much magic but im not looking at all the magic. ive played with and against alot of the old vamps and i know alot has changed with the book but i did not have many problems with the list i had.

im up against empire which is always good game and then high elves after..

i feel that no one has confidence in the list...

Malagant
29-04-2008, 18:03
If you can get Bear's Anger off, he will be a monster, that's for sure! I hope you're able to do it! Unless I did my math wrong, he should be killing almost 4 Greatswords a turn when he gets in melee! Fun! :)

Take good notes and give us a report! :skull:

im loking at beasts anyways with bears anger. im trying to go for 7 str 7 attacks with red fury after.

he is a complete melee junky when i get bears anger off, i know players will always dispell this and yes i havent got much magic but im not looking at all the magic. ive played with and against alot of the old vamps and i know alot has changed with the book but i did not have many problems with the list i had.

im up against empire which is always good game and then high elves after..

i feel that no one has confidence in the list...

Scooner
29-04-2008, 18:22
he should be killing more than 4!! 7A hittng on 3's killing on 2's then any wounds rlled to hit again...so poss of 14 kills (if stupidly lucky, but im going to look at approx 6..

but will give some back up from the 2 varghulfs....

Malagant
29-04-2008, 18:33
You're right, with the Red Fury it will be over 6 on average. Very fun! :)

he should be killing more than 4!! 7A hittng on 3's killing on 2's then any wounds rlled to hit again...so poss of 14 kills (if stupidly lucky, but im going to look at approx 6..

but will give some back up from the 2 varghulfs....

Scooner
29-04-2008, 18:40
but think of the hand of dust with it aswell....so if evrything goes as lucky as the luckiest man in the world you are looking at a lord that can kill 26 individuals!!!

not many lords can say that!!

but then any back up with corpse carts and varghulfs with the skellies as well.

now thats evil!!

Evil-Lite
29-04-2008, 18:45
Good luck with your list and let us know hoe it plays out.

SPYDER68
29-04-2008, 18:47
Is this the vampire one that is allowed all the spells or do you haft to roll for them ?

I dont know much on vampies except ive played against them a couple times.

But if you randomly haft to select your spells, then your banking on alot with your lord on luck of the roll.

if you get em for sure, just ignore me and pray you dont get dispelled, if ya get them off itll be nice.

Scooner
29-04-2008, 19:04
the joys with bears anger is that it is number one spell for beasts. that means that you are guaranteed bears anger as number 1!! wooohoo
you'll then have 2 other random spells to play with before you get to combat...

ive got a few other spells i can concentrate on before the biggy kicks in...

anything else peps want to add?

Spirit
30-04-2008, 01:13
the joys with bears anger is that it is number one spell for beasts. that means that you are guaranteed bears anger as number 1!! wooohoo
you'll then have 2 other random spells to play with before you get to combat...

ive got a few other spells i can concentrate on before the biggy kicks in...

anything else peps want to add?

Just so you know, the vampire knows ALL the spells, not just 3.

Scooner
30-04-2008, 08:25
that makes it even worse!! lol

bears anger and a bolt thrower spell lol..woohoo

Scooner
01-05-2008, 17:16
just finished the 2k game with the bottom list...oh dear god..
the lord killed over 600pts on his own, the varghulf twins are very wrong and just pure fun..
lost a load of skelliesl but the 3 carts worked a treat and helped significantly..

either he was very crap and unlucky or my dice were blessed. Hand of dust and a bears angered vamp lord is a great but will need to look at revamping ( so to speak the rest of the main core) could look at 2 units of grve guard 20 strong.

any comments?

Andrew Luke
01-05-2008, 17:22
Good luck if there is comp scoring...

Scooner
01-05-2008, 17:48
sadly not, im trying things out for the whb GT for this year. i was one point away from qualifing last year so want to make big impression this year

empire based undead army heavy on the infantry...