PDA

View Full Version : 1.5k Empire

angron88
28-04-2008, 21:52
I felt like going for a slightly different tone with Empire. Generally it is led by an arch Lector with maxed out mages, a few blocks of infantry and then a conglomoration of scrapped together knights, outriders and artillery. I, on the other hand (while would use an arch Lector if I ever build up to 2k) decided to go a different rout with only one mage (level one with a staff of power), two mounted mages (so they can leave a unit to chase down an enemy), a unit of free company and flaggelants and, by mixing in militia and state troops, I can get a rabble led by fanatical worshippers of Sigmar...YAY!!

I don't have much of a heart for the knights of the Empire, just too much mucking about, so here it is in all its filthy glory.

Heros-Warrior Priest, barded horse, heavy armour, GW, shield
Heros-Warrior Priest, barded horse, heavy armour, GW, shield
Heros-Wizard, rod of power

Core-24 Halberdiers, shields, FC
-10 Free Company
-7 Handgunners
Core-24 Halberdiers, shields, FC
-10 Free Company
-7 Handgunners
Core-20 Free Company, FC
Core-20 Flaggelants

Special-5 Outriders
Special-5 Outriders

Rare-Helblaster Volley Gun

Strategy needs no explanation-The Priests join with the Halberdiers, the Outriders, Handgunners and Free Company detatchments lend support to the halberdiers. The Flaggelants charge up one flank to draw attention away from the center and the Free company unit stand ready the defend the Helblaster.

Cost of army-Roughly $311 with 2007 army set and additional infantry.

dWhisper
29-04-2008, 03:06
I'm usually not a nitpicker for this sort of thing, but it's Heroes. That spelling just bugs me. Anyway...

As for the army... it seems kind of "one trick." Halberds are generally regarded as the least effective of the core troops. Yes, S4 can be useful against Dwarves and Orcs, but overkill against most else. Coupled with no userful options for armor and middling WS, they typically fall short of spears and swords both.

I have no real argument with the priests, though I'm not a fan of mounting WP in infantry blocks... just me though.

Your ranged will kind of hurt you. Outriders always get a thumbs up, but you have no real mobility with any of this. Your detachments will probably be moving with their parent blocks, and not firing unless the parent gets charged. The Hellblaster is fun, but not nearly as useful as a cannon would be in this list.

All-in-all, this list would struggle against Wood Elves, High Elves, Vampire Counts, and Brets, from what I can see. It's reactionary, not aggressive, and will most will be able to shred or negate your ranged stuff pretty easy.

I'd think about swapping one of your Outriders for a cannon or pistoliers to give some range and mobility. I don't have an issue with 1 wizard at this point range, but would put a dispel scroll on him over a rod of power. Most armies will negate his casting straight away, and it doesn't take much to stop those prayers. Consider swapping one of those handgun detachments for archers, and shrink your free company detachments to 9 (3x3).