PDA

View Full Version : Orion US

TheLionReturns
29-04-2008, 10:48
So as the title suggests what unit strength do people think Orion is?

I can't find any RAW ruling and in terms of RAI am having trouble figuring out what GW intend. I used to consider Orion a monster as other attributes seemed to fit. He could not join units because he was unbreakable, so the impression I formed was of a monster roaming around on his own and thus it was fitting to have the US6.

However, with the new FAQ he can now join units despite being unbreakable, which seems to suggest he is intended to be a character leading from amongst his hunt and perhaps is more suited to the US3 for ogre sized creatures (monsters can't join units IIRC).

Now obviously US3 is better if in a unit and US6 better if out as you can negate ranks. Despite being a bit overpriced for his vulnerability, and therefore needing any help he can get, I would rather ignore such issues in discussion and focus on any strict RAW interpretation or a discussion of intention.

theunwantedbeing
29-04-2008, 10:54
He has the same unit strength as his starting wounds.
So its 6.
He's on a large monster base, so his unit strength is the same as his starting number of wounds.

It is bizarre that he gets to join units while being unbreakable.
Despite the rulebook saying otherwise, they really need to change the words "orion is unbreakable" to "orion cannot be broken in combat" which would allow him to join units.

TheLionReturns
29-04-2008, 11:14
This was my first thought too. However, in the rulebook it suggests that ogre sized models can be on 40mm square bases or 50mm square bases which kind of confuses the issue.

redrum
29-04-2008, 13:32
Just to clarify, unit size of monsters is their starting wounds, not remaining wounds, as per the chart in the BRB page 71.

TheLionReturns
30-04-2008, 12:01
The way I see it is this:

He's a monster - He has 6 wounds. He is on a 50mm base (although ogre sized creatures can be on 50mm bases too). He is bigger than an ogre (but not an ogre tyrant or dragon ogre).

He's not a monster - He is a character. The Treeman Ancient (the other monster character) is classed as a large target, Orion is not. The treeman ancient takes up a rare slot as well as a character, Orion only takes up character slots. Monsters can't join units (Orion now can).

I can see both cases (i.e. a US6 monster or a US3 ogre sized character).
Before the FAQ I think not being able to join units put him in the camp of monster for me. With the change I am less certain.

Anyone have any ideas on rules I have missed or any idea of intention that escapes me? Is there a precedent elsewhere?

Nainou
02-05-2008, 05:24
The new WE FAQ can be found on GW's errata site and they said that Orion can join units and his unbreakable isn't unreakable because there are some exceptions to the normal unbreakable rule :o

And I start to wonder what is his US too... If he is monster, he has US6, but monsters can't join units... this is confusing...

SuperBeast
02-05-2008, 10:15
He's a character and a monster at the same time.

Tad of a grey area...