PDA

View Full Version : Warplightning cannon

Outcast995
16-10-2005, 14:45
Im just wondering if this thing is any good and if it is a few helpfull hints on how to beat it(if it anit good just say it anit good and then start an argument about y it is isnt good until the post becomes 13 pages long...)

P.S. I play TK so if u know any TK units that are good againts it tell me.

:)

skavenguy13
16-10-2005, 14:51
With TK, the cannon is a pain. It means you won't be able to put your characters outside of units, but mostly the hierophant. And I'm not sure, but I think it would be very effective against the casket too. And it can damage giants, ushabtis and chariots pretty heavily.

The normal way to take it out is either fast cavalry or skirmishers. If it gets charged, it MUST flee and it's unlikely it'll rally. You could try with light horsemen (heavy horemen too, but you have better things to do with them). You could also bet on your tunnelers, but they'll arrive only on turn 2/3/4, so they're not that great.

Outcast995
16-10-2005, 16:10
thx for the help, i plan on hoping that my tomb scopbians arrive on the second turn so i suffer the least amount of damge.

m1s1n
16-10-2005, 16:14
Carrion could always "fly to the rescue" as it were.

skavenguy13
16-10-2005, 22:46
Yeah, I forgot them! Flyers are great for that. I think the best tactic would be to put them about 15" away from the cannon on turn 1. This would make sure you'tre in range and the enemy probably won't be able to charge you. The good thing about this is when you'll charge the cannon, you will only get 5" further then where it stood. After that, your carrions won't be too far away from the battle.

The next thing to do with them would probably charge the jezzails, a lone engineer, an engineer with 1 wound left (in the unit... you still have a good chance to finish him, but you'll crumble and stop the unit for a turn if you manage to stay) or block marches.

Scythe
17-10-2005, 10:01
Take flyers or tunnelers as said before. If you use a casket, getting that off could help as well, since the cannon has low Ld. Only problem is that your flyers/tunnelers will probably get creamed by ratling guns in the turn after the cannon fled...

leeoaks
17-10-2005, 10:09
"This would make sure you'tre in range and the enemy probably won't be able to charge you." with magic they could charge turn one

skavenguy13
17-10-2005, 12:35
There's no guarantee they'll be able to charge. And I know engineers are very popular, so he'll probably have lots of dispel.

What size of game are you playing BTW ?

Bal
22-10-2005, 14:30
for the tunnelers, don't use your expensive tomb scorpian, but take scarab swarms!

Search
22-10-2005, 15:21
I use a unit of 5 carrion as a staple in my army
10 wounds at T4 , fearcausing, and flying ( us 1 ok but -1 to hit though the ratlings don't care about that one).
they have a cost of 120 points and usually have to take a lot of shooting to completly disappate.
if 1 survives the round ( not to hard) then anything within 20" that is warmachinelike is in trouble.
Very good against the ratling gun

Scorpions are good as well and you can always use a unit of chariots to move, then throw all your magic at it to move again, and with clever positioning you can make the cannon flee and redirect your charge.

Other then that you will have to rely on experience to minimise the damage untill you can take it out.

Though annoying, the loss of a hierophant does affect the Tk in the way of taking damage ( ld9-10) as casting power.

Outcast995
23-10-2005, 17:01
Its a 1000 pt battle(i know its small but i havent the money to buy anymore right now) ill just have to relly on tunnelers (got no carrions right now) hopefully ill win,
wish me luck

Ozorik
25-10-2005, 18:44
Is it legal to hide a warp lightining cannon in a wood and use it to snipe lone characters in a differnt wood on the other side of the board?

The wrong forum I know but it seems an appropriate place to ask.

Greymarch
28-10-2005, 01:00
Well it can see through the woods, so I don't see why not. Unless there were normal targetting restrictions.

Firing the WLC has always gotten 2 responses from me:

1 - "Oh for the love of god! 8"? Strength 2? WTF!!! This thing SUCKS! SUCKS! ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!'

or

2 - "Oh sweet jesus look at that! Whole cavalry line destroyed! YES! YES! I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!"

DeathMasterSnikch
28-10-2005, 15:12
Ah but Ozorik said hide it in a wood. Is this allowed?

The WLC follows the same movement rules for chariots and chariots can't volounterily move onto difficult terrain etc.

So beehind a wood yes but I'd say no puting it in a wood.

Time for me to convert myself a WLC bunker :p