PDA

View Full Version : HE dragon vs DE dragon: does size matter?

ReveredChaplainDrake
30-04-2008, 15:11
I've been thinking about upgrading my Dark Elf Dragon to one of the newer HE Dragons, and I've been considering this for quite some time. It's an amazing model, no doubt, but I saw the base size (basically a Chariot base) compared to the Monster Base for Seraphon, and I realized what kinds of problems that could cause in actual games. I already have a Malekith Dragon, who is on a smaller base. What I've determined as the pros and cons of each:

HE dragon base:
-Pros:
--MUCH better-looking
--larger General radius (important on armies w/ lots of Stupid hammer-units)
--further-forward Breath Weapon
--WYSIWYG for possible DE Stardragon equivalent
--easier to make real-B2B contact
-Cons:
--expensive replacement for a model I already own
--easier to draw LoS to (the Defiler issue all over again...)
--harder to maneuver around terrain
--harder to store
--larger base = easier to hit w/ Cannon
--smaller LoS / "blind spot" ratio
--easier to flank charge

The pros to the HE Dragon base seem only cosmetic (except the General thing), while the larger base sizes are tactically debilitating. Meanwhile, HE Star Dragons (why use any other kind?) seem to be way tougher than DE Dragons, so they can put up with these liabilities. But are there any other tactical pluses to large Dragons?

Donga666
30-04-2008, 15:19
It would be very easy to remodel on to a standard 50x50 base, nice new model never stopped me having a change before! You would HAVE to weight it to stop the topple effect.

The DE dragon is well defined in the list so you would have 'issues' using a helf Star dragon in a Delf list.

Fhoen
30-04-2008, 16:18
the harder to store part isn't that true imho , as u can get the wings on and off if u havn't glued them to the body :) (they stick in the body verry good ;) )

Alpha_Wolf
30-04-2008, 17:34
Mmm...I'd consider waiting if I was you. Bigger/smaller bases both have advantages and disadvantages.

I hope I'm not getting too far off topic but the rumour round-up is saying the new dark elf book is due in August. So what happens if they get a new dragon model (can't imagine that they won't) and you decide you like that one better?

If the new dark elves wouldn't get a new dragon model I'd say go for it but I doubt GW will just leave it as is.

g0ddy
30-04-2008, 17:42
I find the larger base to be a huge problem when you want to fly behind something... you basically lose 3-4 inches of movement :/

~ g0ddy

Malorian
30-04-2008, 17:53
That size difference does matter.

I'd just keep the one you have for now at least until the new DE releases come out.

Or do what my friend did and buy the cool one from reaper.

W0lf
30-04-2008, 17:59
Its not about how big it is, its what you do with it ;)

Oh and girth is generally better then length.

...Oh wait...

Use the HE one, DE one is hella ugly

TK421
30-04-2008, 20:39
the harder to store part isn't that true imho , as u can get the wings on and off if u havn't glued them to the body :) (they stick in the body verry good ;) )

Oh man, the removable wings alone make it the greatest model ever created. :D

Spirit
30-04-2008, 21:39
But are there any other tactical pluses to large Dragons?

Pro: The range of terror is at least 2 or 3" more than before!

WhiteKnight
30-04-2008, 22:54
If you want the dragon to be a bit more dark elfy, get the unarmoured head, fins on back, tail and head, and possibly trimming or attempt to hide the high elf runes carved in the stone. And remeber, mix black and purple for the dragon. This makes it stick to the dark elf color scheme and it can turn out great. Just spray the whole dragon black and drybrush the dragon very lightly with the purple on the wings, underbelly, tail, and fins.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
01-05-2008, 22:00
I play the game as much for the models as i do the "funness" that is battling... I would say buy the cool one because i love the model! It is fun to ruin everyone with too:)