PDA

View Full Version : Are Dwarfs Fun?

AmBlam
30-04-2008, 18:23
What's your gut reaction to this question?

I've always liked dwarfs but am slightly put off by gunlines and 3 Move.

The Poisoned Dwarf
30-04-2008, 18:28
its M6 practically all the time as they cannot be march blocked :D

Also you dont have to run a gunline. Dwarves have some of the toughest units in the game and you can be halfway across the table turn 1 with strollaz rune. :D

Buckero0
30-04-2008, 18:46
and yet, because of the movement, you will always get surrounded and flanked. if you run tons of shooting, something will get through and break your line. I rarely have fun playing against dwarves, and have never had fun playing them. So my vote would be a big no. I haven't lost to a dwarf army since my first 2 times playing them and ever since then, I have owned them, even with low leadership, no shooting/magic beastmen.

static grass
30-04-2008, 19:05
I have played dwarfs now for 6 years and they are okay. Warhammer is fun but dwarfs have very boring movement and magic phases. However the main issue with dwarfs is that you are the final word in counter-action. As this is obviously the straightest path to defeat and because you have a movement of 3/6 the only way out of this is to gunline. With this you can use your firepower to force your opponent to move. Also with the new book dwarf do have regiments that can take a charge however this is usually based on special rules or runes. Given that your opponent can choose who to charge he will pick the weakest until finally getting to your final nasty regiment or possibly not bother. What usually happens is you get flanked and then he munches through your units. Then your opponent will talk about what a great game it was/guard your flanks/how he couldn't play dwarfs etc etc.

Alot of people don't like gunlines - they are boring - you line up and shoot everything you see. However in fairness it's not cheese it is just sensible once you have been battered around the head trying to do a strollaz force.

If you really love the dwarf IP and the whole big beard grump thing then go dwarfs. But once I have finished redoing the bases for my army I am doing empire.

Frep
30-04-2008, 19:09
Dwarfs are ,my oppinion, fun. They are rock hard, have great shooting (If you go that route) and have great leadership. Unfortunetly this comes at the cost of magic and mobility. If your not a fan of magic or calvery dwarfs are great, if you are though then they're not the best army.

larabic
30-04-2008, 19:14
I find them surprisingly fun to play. I play a mosly infantry army 2 shooting units (1 gun/ 1 xbows) and a few warmachines and the rest is all block units of infantry, usually about 4 of them. Iron breakers are fun to watch get into rediculous situations and survive some how. As are Hammerers, when you can get a standard that lets you take break tests on a D6 feel free to get yourself swamped by those horde armies. Best feeling in the world is watching 3 units break in 3 different directions and having to pick which one you are going to chase.... if at all!

WLBjork
30-04-2008, 20:22
Dwarfs win the combat: Cheerful

High Elf enemies flee: Happy

Dwarfs' pursuit move slams into flank of HE Cavalry: Priceless

That Guy
30-04-2008, 21:13
I enjoy playing Dwarfs with the following ideas in mind:

Warhammer is about controlling territory. Some armies do this with fast hammer units (Brets, Woodies, etc). Dwarfs have no fast units, so you establish control with shooting. I usually only take 20 Thunderers and a war machine or two, and I deploy them in such a way that I cover a more or less 144 square inch area that my opponent DOES NOT want to enter. So I use this idea to prevent my opponent from having free reign to pick his fights.

People generally think it's fun to dictate the pace of the game. I do too. But what makes Dwarfs unique is that they have no opportunity to do that. Everything you do is a reaction to your opponent. So that makes it an enjoyable and interesting challenge for me. Plus, your slow movement means that one wrong wheel and you're out of position, so you have to be careful.

I build a balanced force with the aforementioned missile troops and usually 5 blocks of infantry (I'm pretty light on characters). It doesn't have the impressive w/l record of my Tomb Kings, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

Grom Wronghand
30-04-2008, 21:21
I think they're great fun to play as a balanced force with some shooting and some fair-sized infantry blocks. The fact that you have to respond to the opponent and that deployment is so damned important makes for a unique challenge. Some could say that the enemy can pick which unit will charge yours, but you use your firepower which will be better than virtually anyone else's to deny them this luxury, funnelling them down a 'safe' route into whichever infantry blocks you want. Playign them is different, and always a defensive battle. I've always prefering defence over offence in anything so it suits me fine.

Atzcapotzalco
30-04-2008, 21:33
Another vote for yes. I play dwarfs, and I enjoy playing them. I also understand why some people may prefer a faster army, but there's more to tactics than being across the board in two turns-I like the patient planning and more gradual movement of my units into the right positions, and even the careful consideration of my deployment. Plus, they have powerful artillery, effective missile troops that can hold their own in a fight, and elite infantry with the constitution of a rock, all of which are aspects I enjoy having in my army. Lastly, I can't honestly deny that I have a lot of fun with the runic items, which are not only powerful but also allow several sneaky tricks.

Gorog Irongut
30-04-2008, 21:40
Dwarfs are amazingly fun to play. Don't listen to the naysayers. I've had extensive success with my offensive dwarfs. There are just so many different ways to go with them. You can play:
gunline
elite
hoarde
offensive
stubborn squeeze
Balanced middle of the road
and anything else you can think of.

More importantly, it allows you to unleash the inner dwarf that each of us has hiding inside him. That part of him which likes a good gripe, hates being double crossed and knows how to hold a grudge, and that appreciates good craftsmanship (and a bit of ale all around).

stampy
30-04-2008, 21:51
No, not fun to play against or play with as the most successful dwarf armies are gunlines. Dwarf player rolls dice every turn; opponent moves as fast as possible towards dwarfs. If a single combat unit reaches dwarf line game over

larabic
30-04-2008, 21:58
I win three quarters of my games without ever using a gunline. I don't move very much, just enough to have a flank covered by a piece of terrain or line up to counter charge a unit when i hold in combat. If i wanted a game where i stood in a line and shot each other i would go play a civil war game. Dwarfs are what you make them....

Plus think of the jokes you get?
Drinking jokes, short jokes, gold jokes....

I usually point at my opponents army and scream "First one of you mothers that says 'hi-ho' gets it!"

Bretonnian Lord
30-04-2008, 22:36
Yes. I proxied an 1,000 pt Dwarf army and they're loads of fun to play with (which is odd, since their low movement value contrasts so sharply with my Bretonnians). Their infantry are rock hard, and customizing items with runes is fun.

Dodgy Ed
30-04-2008, 22:51
Oh yes, dwarfs are certainly fun to play (just don't go Thorek gunline)

I've always found the key is to use the warmachines to force the enemy to engage your units. Most people will find that combat with dwarves is the lesser of two evils compared to being shot by them. Another thing to bear in mind is that crossbow/thunderers with shields make a pretty decent second string combat unit.

More importantly the miniatures just ooze character; having painted over 20k of them I have never got too bored as they just have so much variety.(Arguably) Unlike most other armies they nailed the look of dwarfs early on so there is two and half decades worth of miniatures to choose from that all mix together relatively seamlessly.

Admitedly dwarfs appeal to me as they match my personality perfectly; they are the irrasciable drunk of the warhammer world.

Grey Man
30-04-2008, 22:55
I don't find them fun to play at all. I don't like the playing style. Some that enjoy them seem to enjoy the personality of the army more than the playing style.

Grom Wronghand
30-04-2008, 23:09
I forgot to add that before about Runes, and the all-round incredible customizability of Dwarf Heroes. In my opinion Runes are the best form of magic item in the game. You can get a simple 5 point magic weapon for dealing with ethereals or 100+ point weapons that can smash holes through whole swathes of enemies, even those in heavy armour. You can customise the weapon in dozens of varieties to have anythign that you fancy whether it be always wounding on 2+, no armour saves allowed, +1 attacks, +1 strength, +1 to hit, flaming attacks, double strength against anything above T5, anything for any situation.

Runic armour is some of the best as well. For 50 points you can have a re-rollable 1+ armour save. You can have a 3+ armour save for 5 points. You can have anything above S5 count as S5, immunity to flaming attacks, again, virtually anything you need.

Some oddball runes are brilliant fun too. The rune of challenge in particular stands out to me forcing nearby enemy units to either charge or flee immediately. Great for drawing in units that your'e opponent doesn't want to engage you.

Runic standards are some of the most cost-efficent there are. The Master Rune of Valaya gives +2 to dispel and any remains in play spells within 12" are automatically dispelled. You can get +1 combat res to a single unit or to any unit within 12". You can have the unit count as double unit strength. You can have a 5+ wardsave to shooting for a bunch of units. You can give the unit a one-time chance of rolling as if stubborn. You can have a unit roll on 1D6 rather than 2, or have than cause fear. The possibilities are endless!

The point here is, just outfitting the heroes and lords proves fun in itself and watching the endless variety of effects is even better.

Shadowsinner
01-05-2008, 06:30
As a player who runs elves, undead, ogres and dwarfs, I gotta say The dwarfs always hold a place in my heart. Even without artillery or shooting they are incredibly resilient and can actually last more than 2 rounds of combat.

I love the runes because the are pretty much shake and bake items and are customizable for any opponent.

A common list I actually use has only 4 warmachines (cannon, bolt thrower, 2x organ guns) and 22 thunderers (1 unit with 10 and the other with 12) and a unit of warriors and a super unit of hammerers. with size, magic runes, and banners, and ranks, the unit gets a +8 to combat res before wounds are even dealt!

needless the say there are many various tactics to try with dwarfs. miner lists are fun too. hope this helps

pox
01-05-2008, 06:48
of all the stuff I paint, dwarfs are the most enjoyable. I can't rightly say why, they're not my first army, or my main army, but I love finishing a unit and just looking at them. I have yet to play them, I just paint them up when I'm between projects to relax. I'm sure the pace may quicken once I have 2,000 points of units ready to go, but for now they are my "zen" painting army.

I'm known as the "dwarf hater" of my local shop, its always a hard but fun fight. I play skaven a lot, so the story line is always a good time. I can't wait to see their faces when I field dwarfs in one of the summer tournaments.

snurl
01-05-2008, 07:29
Yep, Stunties are fun. They just don't move a lot. But when they do get in the rare charge, watch your opponents expression when they overrun.

Ronin_eX
01-05-2008, 10:06
They're unique, varied and have a very different playstyle than the other armies of the game. Their characters are also loads of fun to design. Overall the army has loads of character and a challenging playstyle (especially as I tend to most aggressive forces in other games). They've got loads going for them from being tough as nails to having the best durn warmachines in the game. I love their reliability on the field and their great fluff. Certainly a fun army if there ever was one. :D

mudcow304
01-05-2008, 13:19
Personally I have never been a fan of the stunties. I could cite movement rate etc as reasons. However, I think that it comes down to my not liking the minis much. I love the idea of beer swilling, mining and slayers, but the minis never flick my switch. As such this is one army that I will probably never collect.

Overt_Spy
01-05-2008, 14:09
Yes! Dwarfs may be slow, but they're hard as rock, and absolutely awesome in combat. When I play as my Elves, I miss having infantry than doesn't die when the enemy breathes on them :cries: I have so many memories of games where my stunties absolutely refused to loose, and broke even the scariest and strongest units, after being charged! So in conclusion, yes, Dwarfs is fun.

pkain762
01-05-2008, 14:32
i am starting to get into dwarves and i can already tell that i like them..... i just love the idea of blasting away at the enemy w/a few thunderer units and warmachines.... while the infantry waits and waits for the most opportune time to move foward (3 inches haha) and engage the enemy....

that battle style just makes me think of epic middle ages battles..... and i likes it A LOT

haha plus i love the rune that allows you to steal one of your enemy's power dice and use it as a dispel dice.... can't wait to see my opponents face when i do that haha

kain