PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh marines question

space_kitten
30-04-2008, 19:41
I understand that Slaanesh is the god of excess, but why is it that pretty much every Slaanesh army concentrates purely on sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? (if you play noise marines).

Why has no one made an army of really fat marines being led by a daemon chef?

Or what about a 'bling' army (chav/ rapper style)?

Also, why does sexual perversion = s&m? What about furries, foot fetishists, those people who dress up as babies or japanese school girls etc?

anarnii
30-04-2008, 20:07
if you read th fulgrim book in HH then it explains in mopre detail. Slaanesh is all about enjoying and experiencing a vast array of different sensations, so put those senses to the extreme. The drug aspect usually goes to heighten those sensations.

so for each sense slaanesh does something:
hearing -noisemarines/sonic weapons,
touch - S&M bondage sex,
sight - bright and clashing colours, extreme visual appearance,
taste+smell- items like soforic musk, which creates auras of sense altering perfumes around people.

although a japanese school girl chaos space marines might be interesting....
hope this helps, read fulgrim!

Imperialis_Dominatus
30-04-2008, 20:23
This is why.

Kandarin
30-04-2008, 21:28
What about furries,

That is one heresy that the Imperium has successfully purged out of existence. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/5/8/258d23818befe8820de780cf4e0e7a2c.jpg

Victomorga
30-04-2008, 21:35
there was a landraider on ebay a month of so ago with a spoiler on top and the side-sponsons converted into huge sub-woofer racks.

it was selling as "blinged-out landraider." it cam up in a thread about the funnniest / most ridiculous thing you've ever seen posted on ebay. I actually thought it was pretty cool; the conversion work looked well executed.

Richter Kless
30-04-2008, 22:03
Space Marines literally only know war and violence.

A chef cook alligned to Slaanesh might make such awesome meals you are instantly addicted to it.
A pot alligned to Slaanesh might make poems that will have you listening for all eternity.

But how does pleasure and entertainment translate to a creature that only knows war and violence? That's when you get Noise Marines.

MrBigMr
30-04-2008, 22:10
"Bless Warseer and all its members. Bless the threads and links of it, May its posts cleanse the world. May it keep the world for its members."

I'm never going back to BL forum ever again.

I understand that Slaanesh is the god of excess, but why is it that pretty much every Slaanesh army concentrates purely on sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? (if you play noise marines).
Because that's a way to get the conservatives on their toes. Or maybe people lack imagination. Can they really be blamed when it's pretty much all that GW has been feeding us with Slaaneshi fluff. Where are the old days when Emperor's Children raped every man, woman and child on Terra, used them to make drugs and all that? Now it's just "I like to wear leather and listen to Linkin Park while I kick my slaves around just for the fun of it."

Or maybe people don't feel like revealing their inner most desires and fetishes in the form of armies? S&M is easy to defend with fluff, but once you have all sorts of weird things, mere "it felt like a good idea" doesn't always fly.

When is the last time you saw fat elite soldiers? I think I've seen an old piece of artwork of a pleasure cult or something, where there was a fat guy as the boss. But with modern beauty standards, no fatties allowed. Everyone has to be young and pretty and fit.

How much more bling does 40K need? You got all the seals and icons and all.

Also, why does sexual perversion = s&m? What about furries, foot fetishists, those people who dress up as babies or japanese school girls etc?
Probably because S&M is for the general public the extreme form. Pain and kinky gear and all that. Besides, how do you present fetishes on the field without making the army look stupid? Just because someone likes to dress up as a baby skunk school girl and lick toes doesn't mean he/she does it when on duty.

Like if one likes sex, it doesn't mean he goes off to war with a pocket full of condoms hoping to score at every opportunity. And if one likes to wear diapers or ladies undewear, they don't do much good outside of the armour.

But if you want some different Slaanesh stuff? Here ya go:
Slayers of Sorrow (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124738)
Black Hole Gun (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136740)

Space Marines literally only know war and violence.

But how does pleasure and entertainment translate to a creature that only knows war and violence? That's when you get Noise Marines.
Except that the Codex: CSM does state Chaos Marines aren't limited in the same way as loyalist ones. They can fall in love and all that. So it's very possible some Marine has given up war and all that, and taken up a place on some Chaos planet as a guv'nor or something.

space_kitten
30-04-2008, 23:01
When is the last time you saw fat elite soldiers? I think I've seen an old piece of artwork of a pleasure cult or something, where there was a fat guy as the boss. But with modern beauty standards, no fatties allowed. Everyone has to be young and pretty and fit.

How much more bling does 40K need? You got all the seals and icons and all.

I think Ogre kingdoms in WHFB does it pretty well. You have models like Greasus Gold tooth (both fat *and* blingy) which still manage to be intimidating.

Victomorga
30-04-2008, 23:27

nurgle is the fatso chaos god, from the great unclean one to the death guard down to the nurglings. slaanesh is the coke-fueled, anorexic, transexual, BDSM god.

MrBigMr
30-04-2008, 23:31
Nurgle isn't really fat, it's bloated, plague ridden bodies. It's the puss and internal organs that are giving them those pot bellies, not bodyfat.

DapperAnarchist
30-04-2008, 23:50
Actually, I think I might get myself some Slaaneshi marines, do them up in some REAL bondage, shibari and the like... And the old days went the way of GW not being afraid to put "recommended for mature audiences" on the cover...

Victomorga
01-05-2008, 00:02
Nurgle isn't really fat, it's bloated, plague ridden bodies. It's the puss and internal organs that are giving them those pot bellies, not bodyfat.

it can be both. besides: bloat or lard, they ain't fitting into those size-zero daemonette bondage pants.

MrBigMr
01-05-2008, 00:33
Actually, I think I might get myself some Slaaneshi marines, do them up in some REAL bondage, shibari and the like... And the old days went the way of GW not being afraid to put "recommended for mature audiences" on the cover...
There are plenty of such conversions out there already, I can assure you of that. Hell, even GW used to make creepy stuff in their early days. Such as a Slaaneshi beastman with penises for horns.

it can be both. besides: bloat or lard, they ain't fitting into those size-zero daemonette bondage pants.
As a person who has seen his share of the world, I can assure that no matter what size, shape or sex one is, he/she/it can always be stuffed into tiny latex pants. Though your argument isn't all that valid, since at least Diaz 'nettes don't really have any pants. Most of them seem to have a tabard that hangs from hip piercings. And since when has one have to wear clothes to be Slaaneshi. Isn't it more about the lack of clothes?

But I have to say that no one can blame me for going the old road with my 40K daemon army. Yes, it's Slaanesh even with counts as units (just to protest how stupid it is as a company policy), but it's also all male.
Prototype horror and daemonette:
http://www.labyrinth-productions.com/Pics/md1.jpg

CULCHAIN
01-05-2008, 02:31
nurgle marines are not fat they are just waiting to let one rip aka blight grenades

Nazguire
01-05-2008, 05:49
The Horus Heresy novels constantly talk about how the Marines are weapons (Sindermann has a big dialogue with Loken about it in Horus Rising) and know only killing and death and nothing else. All other feelings are just facets of this love of killing

-If you fall in love as a Marine, chances are it's going to be violent.
-If you're depressed, you let your emotions out on the battlefield and become full of angsty chain saw wielding rage
-Your plans are pretty much 'kill it' and if that doesn't work 'kill it more' which is why Horus instituted education plans for his Astartes so they could fit in better with regular humans instead of just being 'smashy smash smash'.

So while Codex: Chaos Space Marines may mention the lack of Imperial discipline and structure found in Imperial Marines, I believe it means more to do with the above.

Look at Lucius for example. A noise Marine yes, but he feels extreme enjoyment and satisfaction out of violence...all the Space Marine characters do now I think about it. If a Chaos Marine wants to hear a pleasant sound, Beethoven's symphonies won't exactly do it for him.

If a Space Marine were alive today, He'd listen to Behemoth over DragonForce, Belphagor over Metallica if you get my drift.

That why the Noise Marines get such a stimulus out of destructive sonic energies, the music itself is absolutely horrendous, but because it's so violent and destructive (both sound wise and what it does to the environment) that's what gives them that kick...
Which is where they become desensitised and move on from Behemoth to Cannibal Corpse if you get where I'm going.

If you're a regular human, chances are, Slaaneshi worship won't turn you into a Noise Cultist (?). Read Fulgrim to understand where I'm coming from...you'll be utterly depraved (Serena Del'angela (?) anyone?) and perverted towards what you find pleasure in.

A sculptor will sculpt lewd, disgusting, grotesque parodies of life that are at the same time enticing and alluring, and chances are that they'll be made of bone or necrotic flesh as time goes on and their mind degenerates.

A musician will turn into a similar version of a Noise Marine, only the most extreme music will cause them to have any satisfaction.

And of course...if you're a chef you'll be cooking stews that have poisons and narcotics in them that people, as they choke to death, say is the best thing they've ever tasted.

different13
01-05-2008, 06:47
I like to think that Slaanesh allows his astartes followers to enjoy the pleasures of music, poetry, fine art and food/drink etc. I think that is one of his/her/it's greatest strengths - it can offer something no-one else, anywhere, can - the ability to actually enjoy things.

MrBigMr
01-05-2008, 09:56
I would once again want to thank Mr. Dominatus for supplying me with this quote, as I don't have the CSM codex nor will I ever get it for reasons best left unanswered:

"Free from tradition, constraint, and responsibility, a Chaos Space Marine can excercise his every whim, whether it is for bloodshed, sensual pleasure, ambition, love or hatred."
I've always liked the WHFB version of Slaanesh more, since it's not just dark and grim, dull sided depravity all the time, but has all sorts of shades to it.

Champions of Slaanesh are majestic, charismatic leaders, who are adored by their followers and attract large warbands. Such adoration is easy to embrace, and as the Champion becomes more absorted with his goal, he becomes more distant from his followers, his aloofness and otherwordly persona only fuelling their adoration. The glories of Slaanesh are great, and Slaaneshi Champions are immendely proud of their gifts bestowed upon them by the Dark Prince, bathing in the praise heaped upon them by lesser mortals. They are imposing individuals, with an allure and attraction that goes beyond mere physical beauty, and move with effortless grace and exquisite precision. The sheer presence of a Champion of Slaanesh is inspiring: they are surrounded by an aura that delights others and drives them to acts of great loyalty and sacrifice. They become removed from mortal concerns, so that pain, fear, loyalty and humanity are left behind, leaving them entirely focused on achieving their own ambitions. All other creatures become subservient to the will of the Champion, there merely go give adulation or be destroyed.

Nazguire
01-05-2008, 16:09
That's what I like about Slaanesh, there are so many variations of the way the cultists worship Him/Her. You can have your depraved Noise Marines who revel in loud noises, explosions and pain and you can have your quiet, obsessive, isolated painter who paints using a vertebrae paintbrush and uses blood for paint.

Logarithm Udgaur
03-05-2008, 07:30
Like if one likes sex, it doesn't mean he goes off to war with a pocket full of condoms hoping to score at every opportunity.

Interestingly enough, the standard US aircrew kit (Mk30 IIRC) contains just that. Presumably it is to keep the gun dry.

Adra
03-05-2008, 08:36
Inside every fat person there is a thin person trying to get out....in the case of Nurgle Marines its more like a small family.

Nothing wrong with food eater marines...imagine massive foods as deamons. walking ice creams or cakes.....scary....

LordCypher
03-05-2008, 08:40
Hehe plus when GW created Slaanesh it was all about sex, drugs, and rock & roll. It all comes down to this most ancient of questions; do space marines have wangs?

Champsguy
03-05-2008, 16:53
I don't have any problem with furry marines. I think that would really express the creep factor of slaanesh. Slaanesh is typically depicted as bondage gear because it is "safe" perversion. Everyone recognizes it, and it is vanilla enough for most people to not be creeped out by its depiction. I mean, who hasn't been tied up by a girlfriend? Well, most 40K players actually... Regardless, it is widely recognized as "creepy" and "kinky", even if it is rather tame.

It would be fun to see someone make a full conversion slaanesh army that showed REAL perversion though. A daemonette with an octopus taking a crap on her face, a fat guy wearing a gas mask where the other end of the breathing hose is stuck up a girl's ass, a keeper of secrets with a banana up its hoo-hah, and a guy in a bear suit with a heavy lisp...

Johnnyfrej
03-05-2008, 17:54
I don't have any problem with furry marines.
But they already have those, remember the Wulfen?

MrBigMr
04-05-2008, 19:20
It all comes down to this most ancient of questions; do space marines have wangs?
Yes. And by all I've heard, they're up to size. Talk about pearls for swine.

Interestingly enough, the standard US aircrew kit (Mk30 IIRC) contains just that. Presumably it is to keep the gun dry.
Well, we got one in the army, but it was just part of some national "have a safe day" day or something propaganda crap like that. AKs don't need a stinking rubber in the end to protect it. I don't even know how much the thing helps with keeping the machine dry as I doubt the box is made water tight to begin with. Maybe it's just to block mud from getting into the barrel rather than to keep it dry. But even then. I've had my rifle's box full of sand, full, with everything shut as well as it could have, so if dry sand can get into a rifle, certainly dirty water.
What were we talking about again?

I don't have any problem with furry marines. I think that would really express the creep factor of slaanesh. Slaanesh is typically depicted as bondage gear because it is "safe" perversion. Everyone recognizes it, and it is vanilla enough for most people to not be creeped out by its depiction.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. It's the safe thing kink.

I mean, who hasn't been tied up by a girlfriend? Well, most 40K players actually... Regardless, it is widely recognized as "creepy" and "kinky", even if it is rather tame.
I noticed the 'a' associated with 'girlfriend', so I'm assuming other people's girlfriends count as well. Then yes. If not, I can certainly say no.

It would be fun to see someone make a full conversion slaanesh army that showed REAL perversion though. A daemonette with an octopus taking a crap on her face, a fat guy wearing a gas mask where the other end of the breathing hose is stuck up a girl's ass, a keeper of secrets with a banana up its hoo-hah, and a guy in a bear suit with a heavy lisp...
God bless you, my friend, my dear dear friend.
How about a dude with a woman's naughty bits? In fluff at least. Doesn't show much under his armour.

DapperAnarchist
04-05-2008, 20:05
I had always assumed that was there with Slaaneshi marines anyway... What with some of them havin' boobs.

MrBigMr
04-05-2008, 20:14
I had always assumed that was there with Slaaneshi marines anyway... What with some of them havin' boobs.
No, not bits of the chesty part of the body. The other thing.

Imperialis_Dominatus
04-05-2008, 20:38
No, not bits of the chesty part of the body. The other thing.

What is it, That-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named? Jeez, guys. I would have expected better. :p

Lothlanathorian
04-05-2008, 21:11
I noticed the 'a' associated with 'girlfriend', so I'm assuming other people's girlfriends count as well. Then yes. If not, I can certainly say no.

So I'm not the only one with that problem, eh? I wonder how many people will actually have to reread that to get it.

What if the Slaaneshi Marines' perversion isn't as simple as all of that? Appearence isn't everything. There are too many fetishes that just painting and modeling won't ever cover. Also, because it is Slaanesh, then for the Marines (at the least) everything must be taken to the extreme. Choking becomes crushed trachea and we go in so deep with this that some of us reveal too much...:angel:

MrBigMr
04-05-2008, 21:32
What is it, That-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named? Jeez, guys. I would have expected better. :p
There's an actual name for such a person, but I can't really say it.
And it's not his/her/its fault that his/her/its maker made him/her/it that way. But I can tell you mere swap of... bits isn't the only thing wrong with him/her/it.

So I'm not the only one with that problem, eh? I wonder how many people will actually have to reread that to get it.
Well, I know people. People who creep some people. I myself tend to creep people out too. Until they get to know me and then I'm about as creepy as a fluffy ol' teddybear. A fluffy ol' teddybear with a dirty, dirty mind.

What if the Slaaneshi Marines' perversion isn't as simple as all of that? Appearence isn't everything. There are too many fetishes that just painting and modeling won't ever cover. Also, because it is Slaanesh, then for the Marines (at the least) everything must be taken to the extreme. Choking becomes crushed trachea and we go in so deep with this that some of us reveal too much...:angel:
A marine that's into autoerotic asphyxiation? That'd be something new.

But it's up to our imagination really. S&M is easy. There's a whole world of sensations beyond mere sex and whips. I really like the scene in Equilibrium, when the main character spots a woman holding onto a railing and walking with her eyes closed. When he himself takes his glove off and puts his hand on the railing, he can feel the wibration, resulting the masses of people walking by. In a world that has given up emotions via drugs, it can be a strong feeling to have, especially if off the meds.

If one wants to explore the dark side, there's a whole galaxy of things. Such as movies like The Cell, Seven, pretty much anything from Takashi Miike, etc. Then there's comics as well, and I don't mean any tentacle rape hentai crap. Proper ones.

Sikkukkut
06-05-2008, 08:59
I think Nazguire has made some excellent points about the way that Slaanesh worship twists an individual's initial tastes for sensation, that are worth expanding on. I think the Fulgrim novel did a very good job of showing that a devotion to Chaos is not a stable state, it's a process. You don't pick a spot on the graph and say "that's how I'm going to live" (although you might think you will, heh heh); you're always moving.

So when people talk about a Slaanesh follower expressing their desire for excess through a particular sexual fetish, or through gluttony, or through a particularly twisted approach to creating their paintings, or whatever, none of those images are invalid, but it seems to me that they're only ever going to be a snapshot of one particular point on that person's trajectory into the ultimate embrace of Chaos.

Slaanesh is actually the best example of this. You might start off dedicating yourself to the nuanced appreciation of the subtleties of some particular sensation - the delicacies of a certain texture of paint, the layered perfumes of aged wines, the finer points of various sorts of physical fetishes - but as Slaanesh's followers sink further into her/his arms the common factor seems to be a deadening of sensation and the growing desire to simply cram the senses full of all the input they can handle and more.

I remember some of the first accounts I read of the Noise Marines talked about how they adorned themselves with clashing, eye-watering colour schemes and played instruments that could give normal humans seizures and haemorrhages because they'd reached the point where their senses barely registered any lesser input. They sought out the exhilaration of battle and injury because without that level of stimulus they were most of the way to being deaf. blind and numb.

That must be a horrible fate: to become addicted to insane overloads of sensory experience, and then find you've got to go on seeking more and more intense sensation because those experiences that used to light up your nerve-endings like a fireworks display are barely above the level of an isolation tank to you now. It sheds an interesting light on the remark in the second-edition rules that Slaaneshi cultists welcomed death as the ultimate consummation of experience: I tend to imagine that there comes a point where Slaaneshi welcome death as a release from the endless craving for sensations at a level that no mortal stimulus is able to provide any more.

So the gluttonous Slaaneshi might start off thinking that Slaanesh has benevolently honed their taste buds so they can enjoy their cuisine to a greater level than ever before. (I've got the Iron Chef opening credits going through my head now.) But as time goes on no normal meal can satisfy them: they start loading in spices and additives, gorging on ever bigger feasts, gobbling down foods that blister their tongues and set their guts to bleeding, ravenous almost as soon as they're done eating even though their guts are rupturing, finally filing their teeth to points and ripping chunks out of one another's bodies and their own, trying frantically to find something new and better.

The sexual Slaaneshi might initially be overjoyed at the way the bonds of convention and morality fall away, and at the myriad of new things they have to try, but after a while they'll pass beyond the point where even the sorts of ritualised pain that sexual fetishes impart is enough. Whips and paddles give way to graters, blowtorches and drills. Eventually what they need to do to their nerve endings to even register the feeling ceases to have any resemblance to anything we would recognise as "sex".

And so on.

The essence of damnation at the hands of Slaanesh, of course, is that the path you thought was promising wonderful levels of sensation, beauty, power and majesty have in fact corroded away your sensibility and individuality, turned you into one pathetic lump of flesh among thousands, huddled outside the walls of your Daemon Prince's fortress, weeping, raking barbed wire across your eyes or splashing your hands in the acid pools, trying to feel something, anything...

And what makes a Slaaneshi champion would be the strength of will and sense of self powerful enough to resist that slide, to hang onto your intellect and faculties and place sensation under the control of intellect, not the other way around. MrBigMr's example from Equilibrium might easily be that of an advanced Slaaneshi adept who knows that he has to take sensation in little sips like this, and resist the gnawing temptation to just launch into all that warp-fuelled indulgence and let go.

This is all salted with my personal interpretation of how Chaos works, needless to say, but I think it intersects with the mainstream portrayal of it at enough points to make it worth putting up here. Apologies if I've wandered off the initial topic a bit :)

Apologist
06-05-2008, 09:53
It's very rarely that I'm creeped out by a post on 'teh intarw3b', but Sikkukkut has achieved it in spades, really capturing the spirit of Slaanesh (and by extension, the inevitabilities of Chaos worship).

I take my hat off to you, sir.

(On second thoughts, I'll keep my hat on) ;)

Sikkukkut
06-05-2008, 10:09
Thank you for the compliment :)

I'd been meaning to add something to the thread since page 1, but I had to get my thoughts lined up properly. Glad they made some kind of sense when I worked them out.

Armilthuan
06-05-2008, 10:25

You've seen nothing yet. Even though I'm a seasoned pervert, I've seen things that almost made me choke. But let us not get into detail there shall we? :evilgrin:

Also, Sikkukkut I thank you for your post. You've hit the nail on Slaanesh's head with it.

Lothlanathorian
06-05-2008, 13:27
Now, Sikkukkut, you must do that for the other three gods. Now there is a challenge.

DapperAnarchist
06-05-2008, 13:40
My point about the breast-yoni thing was that if many of them have developed feminine breasts, then at least some of them would have the rest.

Mad Jack Deacon
06-05-2008, 13:50
Like if one likes sex, it doesn't mean he goes off to war with a pocket full of condoms hoping to score at every opportunity...

It seems to me that you may not have been around too many soldiers. Given the opportunity, they hump like bunnies.

I was a platoon leader in a quartermaster company for the U.S. Army, and the medical company that we usually got deployed were both known for being the place to hook up while in the field. Not only did all the combat support elements know it. All the combat units did too. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a medtent or a stock issue tent and caught soldiers en flagrante.

Hundredth Post! Take that Warseer!

MrBigMr
06-05-2008, 17:54
I think Nazguire has made some excellent points about the way that Slaanesh worship twists an individual's initial tastes for sensation, that are worth expanding on. I think the Fulgrim novel did a very good job of showing that a devotion to Chaos is not a stable state, it's a process. You don't pick a spot on the graph and say "that's how I'm going to live" (although you might think you will, heh heh); you're always moving.
Instead of quoting everything, I'll just take a nip and answer everything via it.

I do agree on many of those points and like to underline following things:

-Like you yourself pretty much suggested, sounds more like a truly devouted person who willingly casts him/herself to the mercy of the Dark Prince. There are persons who instead of worshiping Chaos per se, use it for their own gain (or at least that's what the gods let the person think). Surely not out of the question, especially among the high ranking positions.

-How much have things like Noise Marines changed during the past 10 000 years? They're still getting all the fun out of the same stuff they did ages ago. Though it would be cool to see Noise Obliterators, ones that are so obsessed that they've turned into walking German disco lightshow.

-I would imagine that after the sex getting freakier and freakier all the time, returning to the good ol' missionary position under the covers might be a fresh start. One doesn't always have to go forwards to get something different.

And what makes a Slaaneshi champion would be the strength of will and sense of self powerful enough to resist that slide, to hang onto your intellect and faculties and place sensation under the control of intellect, not the other way around. MrBigMr's example from Equilibrium might easily be that of an advanced Slaaneshi adept who knows that he has to take sensation in little sips like this, and resist the gnawing temptation to just launch into all that warp-fuelled indulgence and let go.
That is one thing I would always imagine a sensible worshiper to practice: Abstinance. Don't mean "40 000 year old virgin", but simply realising the danger of losing oneself to mindless hunger for emotions and holging him/herself back, allowing release only when appropriate.

My Slaaneshi lord knows to keep it in his pants. Or at least he tries to, though it's not his own ideology, but something he has learned during his times and adopted in fear of losing himself.

This is all salted with my personal interpretation of how Chaos works, needless to say, but I think it intersects with the mainstream portrayal of it at enough points to make it worth putting up here. Apologies if I've wandered off the initial topic a bit :)
Well, it's close to what I think as well, though I wouldn't go to such extremes as a norm. While there are cases of people going to such heigths for sensation within the universe, it's not where everyone will go. Some are sure to be happy with the little they get before their time. Not every Slaanesh worshiper end up into a wrech of a person. I would assume there to be people merely worshiping Slaanesh like any other god during their everyday lives. I doubt a factory worker or a farmer on a daemon world to have much time to cut himself (though I'm sure he'd wish his crops would do it) or anything.

(On second thoughts, I'll keep my hat on) ;)
Always keep your jimmy hat on.

It seems to me that you may not have been around too many soldiers. Given the opportunity, they hump like bunnies.
Who doesn't? And with the rank of private in the FDF and training in guerrilla tactics and medic, I wouldn't say I'm a stranger to the soldier's way of life.

But it doesn't mean my post is invalid. If I was shipped out into a real firefight, I would stock on pretty much everything else. A condom won't protect you from a bullet. In war, my penis comes last. Without me, my penis is useless.

I was a platoon leader in a quartermaster company for the U.S. Army, and the medical company that we usually got deployed were both known for being the place to hook up while in the field. Not only did all the combat support elements know it. All the combat units did too. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a medtent or a stock issue tent and caught soldiers en flagrante.
Jesus. Even though we had mixed sex units and I knew plenty of people who hooked up with someone in there, I don't personally know anyone who had sex at the garrison. Though I know one guy who had sex with his girlfriend in some bushes while on guard duty at the gate. Got awarded with an extra leave (though also chewed up for leaving his post) for never leaving his rifle. They knew because there's cameras there as well.

Hundredth Post! Take that Warseer!
Warseer takes your post, makes you feel like posting more and only once you've posten more than any mortal can, your fingers worn down to the bone and your eyes blinded with poor lighting, you will welcome death as it comes from the lack of sleep and nutrients.

Mad Jack Deacon
06-05-2008, 20:01
Touche, MrBigMr. After reading one of your later posts, I did, indeed, realize that you had experience with the military.

One story, slightly off topic, happened during my safety brief on the way into a 3 week field training exercise (FTX). I'm finishing up my brief on the road march and ask if there are any questions. One female private raises her hand and asks "Do I have time to go to the PX or the Minimart?"

To which I ask "What did you forget, Private?"

"I need some femine stuff."

I'm assuming she'd think I'd leave it there since most guys have to make a leadership check to deal with The Red Terror. I've got 3 sisters and can say "menstruation" with a straight face. So I asked her what products she needed.

With a straight face, she asks me "Well LT, you don't want any of us to get pregnant do you?"

Needless-to-say, I was flabbergasted. I couldn't figure out anything to say, so I told everyone to mount up, and walked away shaking my head.

I know for a fact that later in the FTX, she did get caught in the MRE issue tent with a medic from another company. I guess that Slaanesh has worshipers everywhere.

Of course, combat support elements don't deal with the same environment as combat arms. As a former infantryman, I thought about sex a lot. Just never when the bullets were flying...

MrBigMr
06-05-2008, 20:48
Touche, MrBigMr. After reading one of your later posts, I did, indeed, realize that you had experience with the military.
I've done my time and by the looks of it they don't want me back anytime soon.

I know for a fact that later in the FTX, she did get caught in the MRE issue tent with a medic from another company. I guess that Slaanesh has worshipers everywhere.
Heh, indeed. How can a woman resist all those big strong men in uniforms? I even know a fella or two who can't (long story).

Of course, combat support elements don't deal with the same environment as combat arms. As a former infantryman, I thought about sex a lot. Just never when the bullets were flying...
Though I was in a support platoon, as a scout/guerrilla medic I might be a mile or two from the rest of the platoon and still behind enemy lines. But I never really thought about sex that much in the army. No matter how much skin mags we medics had stacked in our room locker or even when I slept between a pair of the cutest little blondes at one camp, I was just too tired to even notice it.

Burning Star IV
06-05-2008, 21:17
Well, I know people. People who creep some people. I myself tend to creep people out too. Until they get to know me and then I'm about as creepy as a fluffy ol' teddybear. A fluffy ol' teddybear with a dirty, dirty mind.

Which is pretty creepy.

I love threads relating to Slaanesh. They always go in the most interesting directions.

ChaosBeast
06-05-2008, 21:27
There's a whole world of sensations beyond mere sex and whips.

what? there is? since when?
Slannesh! you lied to me!

MrBigMr
07-05-2008, 16:26
Which is pretty creepy.
No, it's not really.

I love threads relating to Slaanesh. They always go in the most interesting directions.
I love any thread at Warseer, since not only do they get nifty turns, but the people manage to keep it rather relevant and realistic without close minded nay-sayers. And the mods don't always get over zealous as long as things are kept appropriate.

I so got tired of BL forums for being such a PG, closing their eyes and sticking their fingers into their ears going "la-la-la-la-la-la" in front of the truth. We can only talk about things mentioned in fluff, but never nothing more. Someone once asked about interspecies relationships, which pretty much led into an avalance of "no, not in a billion years", etc.

Ok, seriously. There are at least two official cases of humans and Eldar hooking up and even making a baby. Might not be kosher anymore, but GW has done it and it's out there. Also, saying that "race X would never touch an inferior race Y" is not really true. Never stopped the Nazi from raping women of "inferior races." And "it's beastiality" really isn't a put off. If such a thing never happens, then why is there a term for it?

But that's just me and my "immature" views that "have no place on the BL forum" since the mods "won't lower their standards" for me. Fair enough.

But enough of my problems. How crappy has your days been?

Col. Tartleton
07-05-2008, 20:12
This is all mind opening.

I too am glad that warseer doesn't care as much as some other message boards.

With a straight face, she asks me "Well LT, you don't want any of us to get pregnant do you?"

That's pretty messed up, a normal person like yourself expects her to be talking about tampons and out comes something about birth control.

On topic, this is all pretty much the same way I think about slaanesh, and as I'm not a bookworm, not violent and like staying clean, that if I was told I had to dedicate myself to the warp, I'd go slaanesh. However I'd be smart enough to diversify my lusts and not allow any of them to get too much of a hold of me.

And that's what the EC should have done instead of immediately putting a gallon of speed into their blood stream, and raping entire orphanages to the sounds of Mayhem's classic, Deathcrush on volume that made their ears bleed. If they'd taken it easy, they'd be nowhere near as funked up:p.

Lothlanathorian
08-05-2008, 12:22
This is all mind opening...

And that's what the EC should have done instead of immediately putting a gallon of speed into their blood stream, and raping entire orphanages to the sounds of Mayhem's classic, Deathcrush on volume that made their ears bleed. If they'd taken it easy, they'd be nowhere near as funked up:p.

Well, if we've opened your mind in here, then, well, you are more sheltered than some others. You should look into this thing they have out now called the internet. It'll ruin you:p

And that last part gave me the most disturbed yet realistic look at the EC I think I have ever had.

And @ MrBigMr, teddy bears are creepy. Especially ones from Norway.

Sikkukkut
08-05-2008, 14:35
Hrm. Some of these replies do emphasise how different people's interpretations of the 40Kverse can be. For example, MrBigMr, although our conceptions of the Slaanesh path do intersect at some points our perceptions of how Chaos works are fundamentally different. Chaos, in my vision of the setting, is not something you can ever take for granted, not something you can ever simply make part of your routine: "the guys want me to start going to the Slaanesh ceremonies twice a week instead of once, but y'know, I've got soccer on Wednesdays and Saturdays I wash the car so I'm just limiting myself to the once." (Although of course the galaxy is full of the scraps and ashes of people who were sure they could do that.) Chaos for me is not something that's as neutral and manipulable as the light you flip on when you walk into the room. It's alive and it's greedy, it wants more and more of you and it knows exactly how to play you to get more and more of you because it is you. It finds its way into the shape of your mind as effortlessly as water taking the shape of the container you pour it into. It's the master of psychological and spiritual aikido: it knows exactly how to take every skill, thought, experience and point of strength that you thought you were using to resist it and turning them into the leverage points by which it sends you sprawling into insanity. You have about as much capacity to say "oh, I'll just use Chaos a little bit but I'll keep it under control and not let it interfere with daily life" as a resident of Chernobyl had to say "nah, I've got nothing to worry about, I've just decided that I'm not going to be affected by the radiation."

As I said, this is my way of envisioning it. I'm not knocking other people's: one of the things I like about this universe is that there are so many different ways to imagine it. But some imaginings can be hard to reconcile because they're based on very different assumptions.

Now, Sikkukkut, you must do that for the other three gods. Now there is a challenge.

Actually, I think I may even have the long, rambly makings of an "on the nature of Chaos" post on my HD somewhere (or more likely on one of my old backups, this was a long time ago). You're right, it's an interesting thing to think about, although another aspect of my picture of Chaos is that I don't delineate the four gods as much as some people do. To steal a term from the life sciences, I'm a lumper not a splitter: rather than dividing Chaos into radically different paths I'm always struck by the commonalities, and I see the Big Four as simply facets of Chaos rather than rigidly separate domains of it.

Actually, instead of "facets", which has a geometrical sound to it, try this: did you ever have those picture-games as a kid where you had a big page full of dots and shapes of all sorts of colours, and as you held up different coloured cellophane to look at the page through it soaked up some colours and darkened others so you saw different letters and numbers and so on? That's akin to how I picture Chaos: it's all stirred in there together, but which aspect of it jumps out at you depends on which filter you look at it through, the filter in this case being your psyche, experiences, emotional character and so on.

So rather than a treatment for four separate gods my thesis would tend to be that the trajectory into Chaos is identifiably the same no matter which aspect you follow, and the differences between the followers of the four Great Powers are actually a lot more superficial than a lot of people make them out to be.

MrBigMr
08-05-2008, 15:19
For example, MrBigMr, although our conceptions of the Slaanesh path do intersect at some points our perceptions of how Chaos works are fundamentally different.
Ah, no, not at all. I might have said it wrong or something, but what I mean is that no matter how devouted one is to any god, in order to function, he or she is forced to do other stuff than hack, use, kill and abuse. No matter how insane or blood crazed a Khorne marine gets, sooner or later he has to maintain his bolter or plan tactics. That's what I mean. If a Khorne marine becomes so insane with his lust for blood that he doesn't care whos it is, he is of no use anymore and will be put down or chained up and released when the time is right. But what happens when every Khorne marine is like that?

Daemon World gives a good look at people living under Chaos rule. No matter how devouted or not devouted, they must be able to perform the basic functions in order for the society to work. This is something that came up in the Dark Eldar Love thread. Even in Chaos (and I mean mortal Chaos, not the ethereal realm of the Warp) there has to be order in order for anything to work. Dark Adeptus forge worlds can't make tanks and warmachines for Abaddon if they're all depraved beyond reason. Ships can't move if the crew is making love to the very walls crusted with pulsating, Warp spawned flesh. Someone has to make the bullets and guns, farm and harvest the food and transport said food to Forge Worlds so that they can continue making more tanks and warmachines.

As for "switching off", there are few cases of Chaos champions denouncing their allegiance to the dark gods. What are they to do? Chaos gods per se can't really affect you unless you let them. They have to pray on our minds and souls in order to claim them. It's not like Tzeentch can pop in and burst a whole planet into flamers and horrors.

Marily Manson said it best: "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me."

There are things in the night that go bump. We just have to ignore them in order to live on. If we are not strong willed enough, they will seek our weaknesses and use them against us. Just by throwing down to the ground and screaming "take me, of Lord of Decay" isn't enough really. You have to open up a dialogue. You have to accept the Nurgle way of life in order to receive his gifts. Without it you're just another wannabe.

It's also good for a person receiving gifts to have use for them. Random mutations happen, but usually to the hordes that don't matter. Good gifts are granted to those that have use for them. Why is it that many of the great Chaos champions that wage war across the galaxy haven't gained daemonhood or any funky mutations? Because those things would make them less good at what they do. Even the gods know that.

The masses are a free for all gods, since they don't matter as anything else but the hammer of the gods. But the hand that wields the hammer has to be true. There is no room for spawns in the HQ.

Daemon World also gives some cases. The "touched" (pretty much just people with mutations) had various forms of mutation that weren't always an improvement, where as the boss, a devouted servant of the lady who serves Slaanesh, was gifted with great strength and endurance, turning him into a real hulk. But at the same time he was quite feral. He was nothing but a warhound used to keep the apes in line and barbarian hordes respect strength more than big brains.

And these were people loyal to the ruler of the planet. I don't remember reading much about such mutations among the scum that lived outside of the lady's area of influence. Nor did those people really worship the gods as such. They were just people living on a planet controlled by Chaos. Non of them had really done anything to make themselves noticed by the dark gods. They're just rabble. Surely the gods pay more attention to places where things happen.

But all in all, as you said, Chaos (the ethereal Chaos) is chaotic in nature and all our theories pooled up can be right and wrong at the same time. It all boils down to "what the story demands." If you want a guy with flaming eyes and tentacles for hair, then by all means, even when his far more devouted lord is free from mutations.

Oh, and by the looks of the fluff in the new daemon codex, the gods are going towards an Olympian feel than something completely different.

Col. Tartleton
08-05-2008, 19:16
Marily Manson said it best: "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me."

I hate Manson, but I say a very similar thing about alcohol...

Anyhow, he's exactly what some slaaneshi followers would be like. The pussy cultists, but a worshiper none the less.

I imagine slaanesh marines to be more like Scandinavian Black metal musicians. Crankin' the tunes and hitting the coke, and hitting it hard. Not to mention burning churches, orgies and anything else like that, and then after watching their friends burn out and kill themselves, taking the fragments of their skull and stringing them together on a chain and using their body parts for cannibalistic stews... God, hardcore goths **** me off.

@Lothlanathorian

Well, if we've opened your mind in here, then, well, you are more sheltered than some others. You should look into this thing they have out now called the internet. It'll ruin you

I try to stay away from things as perverse as stated earlier, but I have encountered them briefly and then quickly hit the back button with a cry of "WTF was that profanity!"

HK-47
09-05-2008, 01:11
This thread is very interesting and I think Sikkukkut posts' about falling into the thrall of Slaanesh not only genuinely creepy, but I find it very poetic; just like things concerning the dark prince should be :evilgrin:, and better then some of the stuff that comes out of GW and the BL.

On MrBigMr discussion on the running of chaos controlled planets, I personally thinks it is run kind of similar to how Goa'uld controlled planets are run on the show Stargate, for those not familiar with the program the Goa'uld are a race of aliens who conquer human populated worlds and have the enslaved populations worship then as gods. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that at the top you have a Daemon Prince or chaos lord at the top who are worship by the populace as a kind of demigod or god like entity. He/She/It dose not do much expect led the odd military campaign, and religious festivals in honor of the patron deity. Second to him are his chosen, these are the ones who get their hands dirty they maintain order and make sure that the populace do what is required to keep the planet going i.e making weapons, and growing crops.

After them are your basic CSM or armed cult groups who are the warrior caste, they carry out the orders of the chosen, fight one the against the Lords enemy's, and make sure the lower class carry out their duty. They may or may not own land on the planet it's up to the lord and chosen . At the bottom are the workers who actually do the hard labor, and also most likely fight as basic infantry. They most likely are mutants, captured slaves, or the worlds native inhabitants, this are the people that others in this thread have talks about in their post.

Also Sikkukkut brought Equilibrium up in his post more specifically the part about the women touching the railing to fell the vibrations of the people walking by. This made me think about the end of the movie when Preston gains the ability to turn off his feelings without the use of the drug they hand out; do you think a highly successful Slaanesh champion (military) I mean also find a way to turn off their feelings in order to not fall under control of their desires while in the middle of a fire fight.

Armilthuan
09-05-2008, 08:16
Space Marines have learned to block out fear and mercy. I can see no reason they can't block out other emotions.

MrBigMr
09-05-2008, 09:19
Also Sikkukkut brought Equilibrium up in his post more specifically the part about the women touching the railing to fell the vibrations of the people walking by. This made me think about the end of the movie when Preston gains the ability to turn off his feelings without the use of the drug they hand out; do you think a highly successful Slaanesh champion (military) I mean also find a way to turn off their feelings in order to not fall under control of their desires while in the middle of a fire fight.
That was me. I brought it up. Give me the free internet.

HK-47
09-05-2008, 16:26
That was me. I brought it up. Give me the free internet.

:( Sorry must have gotten my fluff experts messed up.

chris.thor
09-05-2008, 19:37
A friend of mine once considered making a hardcore Slanneshi army.

His plan was to model all of the marines with strap-ons and replace the power swords with giant dildos! Then add lots of even more scantily clad daemonetes.

Then he realised that if he ever took the army out in public he'd probably get arrested!

MrBigMr
09-05-2008, 20:15
A friend of mine once considered making a hardcore Slanneshi army.

His plan was to model all of the marines with strap-ons and replace the power swords with giant dildos! Then add lots of even more scantily clad daemonetes.
Oh, that's pretty tame. I've seen a Tyranid army of Warriors with lash whip tentacles going all over school girl Sisters, toxic sacks hanging between the legs and all I can tell you is that the bioplasma didn't shoot out of their mouths.

If your friend would have wanted something crazy, he could have given the marines strap-ons similar to those in Seven (once had such an idea, maybe I'll do it too). The blade thingy. That if anything would count as an additional CCW (so that he could have a bolt pistol in one hand and a bolter in the other). Then do a small diorama on a base with an enemy model kneeling in front of the marine, the blade piercing their skull. The marine holds the head there with one arm and fires his bolt pistol/bolter into the air all the while bellowing at the top of his lungs.
What were we talking about again?

Then he realised that if he ever took the army out in public he'd probably get arrested!
It's a good thing I'm not that smart. I probably shouldn't read Michael Manning comics. I always get ideas from them. I'm already make a chariot for my WHFB daemon legion based on the one in Transceptor and I'm currently looking on converting some Fiends for my 40K daemon army based on the lizardman in the same comic.

Firaxin
10-05-2008, 03:19
One of the best threads I've read in a /long/ time...

Logarithm Udgaur
10-05-2008, 05:22
Come on people, do we really want to see "Two Daemonettes, One Cup" represented on the battlefield.

Wazzahamma
10-05-2008, 09:33
Come on people, do we really want to see "Two Daemonettes, One Cup" represented on the battlefield.

Hahahahahaha. Call of the day!

MrBigMr
10-05-2008, 15:19
Maybe I'm just tired or something, but for some reason that just blew right past me.

Lothlanathorian
10-05-2008, 21:05

Yes, that is exactly what we want. Why? Can you has it made happenings?

@MrBigMr, it's more of that thing they call the internet, the part that is bad for your soul. At least it isn't tubgirl. Ugh. Though I would think that is more 'stream of corruption' than Lash of Submission lol :cries:

MrBigMr
10-05-2008, 21:20
@MrBigMr, it's more of that thing they call the internet, the part that is bad for your soul. At least it isn't tubgirl. Ugh. Though I would think that is more 'stream of corruption' than Lash of Submission lol :cries:
I am more than well aware of the internets, just that I'm only a man. I can't know everything. Reminds me of the old conversation we had in the army.
Our NCO: "If my friend hadn't gotten himself an internet connection, I would have never seen a Japanese school girl with a squid in her hoo-haa."
Me: "I've seen that video."

I'll forever remember what our army bishop said when passing by our room: "Medics have greasy stories."

But anyway, a little googling and I'm a little more informed. Nothing new really.

Lothlanathorian
10-05-2008, 21:22
You are a very strong willed man with amazing constitution lol.

MrBigMr
10-05-2008, 21:44
You are a very strong willed man with amazing constitution lol.
Well, not really.
It's all about security. When one is secure enough with him/herself, things don't get to him/her that much. I can't say the idea of excrement is a turn on in any way. But what makes my fetishes any "better" than those of others? Just accept things like that happen. Accept that people get their freak on such things. It's not our of your pocket.

I can never understand people who want to ban or are against something just because they don't find it pleasing. As long as it's legal and doesn't cause great unrest, then what's the problem? Screw "morals". They're passing things. Morals changer with the times. There is no universal moral code.

I've travelled all around the world before I was 20, seen all shapes and sized of people and their ways. I have nothing against anyone anywhere. Let all the flowers bloom. You don't have to like them, nor do you have to have them in your garden if you just don't like them, but no one has the right to start weeding them all for that reason.

Lothlanathorian
10-05-2008, 22:31
I never said anything about banning anything, good sir. I fully agree on everything you just said. Doesn't mean that I don't find tubgirl a bit disturbing lol.

It's like people who like onions. I find them to be foul, disgusting vegetables and have no desire to ingest their filth, but you are welcome to eat them. (mind you, I hate onions, so maybe that was a bad example lol).

And, so it be known, I am, for most purposes, considered a nihilist, so moral concern is not an issue here lol.

And, imo, Slaanesh is less about fetish and more about what feels good. Then taking what feels good and making it feel great. So, it is less about what you are looking at on the internets and more about how nice your hand feels while you look at it.

Off topic: I'm wondering who the first person will be to get a warning from the mods for going too far lol.

MrBigMr
10-05-2008, 22:53
I never said anything about banning anything, good sir. I fully agree on everything you just said. Doesn't mean that I don't find tubgirl a bit disturbing lol.
Thou art not ye centrum of ye world of yours truly, my good sir.
In other words, I wasn't talking about you, just in the general sense. Sort of those "drift off from the topic, not even realising you are really talking out loud" sort of thingies.

It's like people who like onions. I find them to be foul, disgusting vegetables and have no desire to ingest their filth, but you are welcome to eat them. (mind you, I hate onions, so maybe that was a bad example lol).
Not a big fan of them either, but if prepared correctly, they can be quite delicious.

And, so it be known, I am, for most purposes, considered a nihilist, so moral concern is not an issue here lol.
About a year ago my mom though I was going goth, though all my friends laughed at the concept of me being a goth. You can always trust your friends to put you in your place.

And, imo, Slaanesh is less about fetish and more about what feels good.
I don't really know many fetishes that don't feel good. I mean, isn't that the whole concept of it?

Then taking what feels good and making it feel great. So, it is less about what you are looking at on the internets and more about how nice your hand feels while you look at it.
Then you get tired of that and get accessories. And then you start praying on women in parks at night. And then...

Reminds me of a comic of a guy who had a fetish. At first it was nothing special, but in time he started experimenting on things, which led to people getting killed and mutilated and in the end even killed him as a final big experience.

Off topic: I'm wondering who the first person will be to get a warning from the mods for going too far lol.
Last time I presented a similar question, it took 13 seconds for the mods to chase me down.

Lothlanathorian
10-05-2008, 23:22
They haven't got me yet lol. Also, I so just spilled my beefaroni all over myself. Critical fail.

And I can see your point with the fetishes getting out of hand. The point I was trying to make was that it is less about ehat you are looking at and more about pleasure center stimulation.

Glavemaster
10-05-2008, 23:33
MrBigMr, you'd get my vote if we were to elect a new Emperor! A cookie for you, good sir. *Bows deeply.*

A very interesting thread. I've never seen such a poetic description of how Slaanesh and his/her/its worship/cult works. A very sensible description, too, at that.

I'll have to hand out cookies full-time. :p

- Glazemaster, The Icing on the Cake

MrBigMr
10-05-2008, 23:33
Some people like to look. That's a fetish as well, you know.

I'm just wondering about the people with fantasies. I mean, quite often fantasies are just that, made up (not just talking about sexual ones here), not intended to be real. You can dream of the crazies orgy you can imagine with at least one of every species that might or might have not existed. Or about taking an AK to work and mowing down all the a-holes there.

But if faced with a situation where these fantasies could become reality, not all choose to take that chance. Reality will never substitute fantasy. It's because in fantasies all the little things that make reality real, are ignored. If you dream yourself with a million bucks of Nazi gold, in reality you would probably have a hard time turning them into cash or even getting to keep them.

It's all those little things that make reality such a drag. So what does Slaanesh offer to the dreamers? More exotic fantasies, drug enhanced visions of golden palaces, fountains of purest milk and the song of sirens heard in every corner of the world? On and on until you're nothing but a shadow of a man and all you've ever had is gone. And when reality strikes, you seek to get back into those dreams even more. In the end you'll die with a smile on your face.

Damage,Inc.
11-05-2008, 07:43

Because Transexual Space Marines is a topic most parents don't want their children thinking about? Two daemonettes, one recepticle?

At one point in time I did model a couple daemonettes as Japanses schoolgirls for my Slannesh army. I used them as the spawn the psychic power creates.

If a Space Marine were alive today, He'd listen to Behemoth over DragonForce, Belphagor over Metallica if you get my drift.

I have to take issue with this idea. Music that is "hard", "heavy", "grinding" and things like that equaling violence and destruction is a cultural viewpoint. We tend to think of little old ladies gardening when we hear classical composers but imagine guitarists with flaming instruments dressed up in black leather and bright metal bits making out with Satan effigies when we hear heavy metal, but that is not due to an inherent quality of the music so much as the protrayal our society has put to it.

Think of those movies where the hitmen are listening to classical music as they don their gloves and ready their pistols, the complete calmness of the music reflecting their cold, calculated use of deadly skills. Or how about Beethoven's '9th' in "A Clockwork Orange?" Wagner's 'Flight of the Valkyries' in "Apocolypse Now?" Movie scores such as 'Gladiator' use sweeping epic compositions to add urgency to their battle scenes. Guastv Holst's "Mars: the Bringer of War" from his 'Planets' symphony is a masterpiece of powerhouse instrumental music displaying martial power. Songs like the US Army's new "Army Strong" campaign song are written to stir martial pride much as Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare" celebrated the common blue collar American worker.

While an American soldier might listen to 'Korn' before going into battle, arabic insurgents play religious chants much akin to medieval Gregorian chants as they set their bombs.

There was even an instrumental composer a while back that created a musical score for Warhammer 40K. Called "Music for Hammering" or something like that, he used many different themes common in classical music to create an audio background to set the mood for a grim universe.

I could fully see Space Marines psyching up for battle by listening to an Imperial Choir singing prises to the Emperor.

Well, this thread has been intersting indeed and I have read every page with growing interest. That's what I love about the background forum- usually the people that post here have some lengthy thoughts about how the fluff represents elements of the real world and what lessons can be applied from our experiences to the game background. Malleable fluff is always the best IMO and people that cling to canon and refuse to think outside of it tend to become boring.

From my interpretation of Chaos fluff, and what I gather for a lot of others here, is that Chaos worship is much akin to addiction. Chaos indeed is like that slow crawl to religious fanaticism that is religious addiction, and each seperate Chaos god brings in something new. I truely see Slannesh as being the epitomy of an addition and all the baggage that comes with it, the piral down as the user tries to stay in control, the loss of power over the need, and finally succumbing. In this view there is room enough for varying degrees of worshippers from those that are completely gone to those that are desperately trying to hold on to their sanity while the fire burns deep within them.

I would personally love to see a Slannesh army done similar to a Blood Angels force with DEathcompany. Ie. you would roll for each squad before the game, and those that roll a certain number represent warriors that have finally given in to their need for sensations, filling out the role of Noise Marines, possessed, or something like that. Slannesh Dreanoughts would have a greater chance of going nuts as all sensation has been cut from the warrior inside, his mind bubbling under the pressure of not being able to fulfill the need. A Slannesh sorceror might have a harder time with his spells as the need itches at the back of his mind, making him distracted. Aspiring Champions might fall back on a failed leadership check, or they might surge forward with the thrill of the battle and the thought of final release at the hands of their enemy...

I once asked my LGS guru why Noise Marines were fearless when I first started playing Chaos. His reponse was- "Death, we haven't tried that yet."

Good discussion. I hope there can be more threads like this.

Lothlanathorian
12-05-2008, 12:12
You made me think of the book Daemonworld where the priests of the Slaaneshi temple are being shot at. They are expecting the rapturous and glorious last sensation of their lives and get the complete opposite.

Chem-Dog
12-05-2008, 17:45
I understand that Slaanesh is the god of excess, but why is it that pretty much every Slaanesh army concentrates purely on sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll?

All of it stems from the fact, like many things in the 40K universe, people's ideas of what something represents change as time goes on.
The chaos gods of The Lost and the Damned and Slaves to Darkness books have been made pg13 by successive revisions as the game was progressively aimed at younger audiences.

The two books contained a significant amount of violence and sex (although the latter was more implied than explicit), particularly Slaves to Darkness, which featured Khorne, the god of violence and killing, and Slaanesh, god of pleasure and sensation.

What we are left with is an amalgam of the two ideas, throw in a hefty dose of lowest common denominator for good measure.