PDA

View Full Version : Reason for Terminator Faceplate design

Stormire
21-04-2005, 00:15
I know that terminator helmets come fully equipped with a 3-d holodisplay of what every other terminator sees, or whatever it is. But does anyone know why they gave it the dog faced design. I always kinda thought that it was kinda ugly, but thats my opinion...

anyway, I used to know at one point, but have since forgotten, any help would be much appreciated.

Flame Boy
21-04-2005, 00:18
I think the ugliness is more of a "Back off or I'll headbutt ya!" ugliness than a "dear me, he's hideous, let's throw rocks and mock him!" ugliness.

However, I'm not sure why the Terminator suit's headgear is so different to conventional Astartes helmets. I also thought it was permanently locked in place until the new Termie suits were released.... is that a new development?

angelspast
21-04-2005, 02:40
Fluffwise it's like that because simply becuase it's effective. Aesthetics are irrelevant compaired to protection. Take a look at an A-10.

The helmets have always been able to detatch from the body. It's just that it makes no sense to wear terminator armor, and leave your head sticking out :rolleyes:

If you're asking why GW modeled them like that who knows, but I like em. :D

Minister
21-04-2005, 02:57
At least one of the 2nd edition terminators was also shown with its head to one side, as could be done with the CHaos ones. It's just that the current models allow decent posing choices.

Getz
21-04-2005, 03:23
Well, the Terminator Helmet bears a certain resemblance to the Mk 4 (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1075) Power Armour helmet so there's probably a common ancestry there. Possibly designed atn the same time...

Perhaps the Mk 4 Power Armour helmet was in some way defective, resulting in the evolution throught the Mk 5 and Mk 6 Corvus (or "beaky") design into the familiar Mk 7 pattern, but the Terminator helmet was fine in it's original form and as such never changed.

Sgt.Epoch
21-04-2005, 12:22
Fluffwise it's like that because simply becuase it's effective. Aesthetics are irrelevant compaired to protection. Take a look at an A-10.

The helmets have always been able to detatch from the body. It's just that it makes no sense to wear terminator armor, and leave your head sticking out :rolleyes:

If you're asking why GW modeled them like that who knows, but I like em. :D

LoL, The A-10 Fairchild, Nick named 'The Warthog'. As the USAF say "The only reason it stays in the air is because it's so ugly the ground doesn't want it back."

The terminator suits were a hybrid of NBC Hazard suits + power armour. (Read WD 304) I'm sure that ugly helmet gives superior protection from Nuclear, Chemical and Biological attacks.

charlie_c67
21-04-2005, 12:35
Well they don't call the A-10 the SLUF for nothing....

Think it also has something to do with improving the visability of the wearer.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-04-2005, 12:51
it was designed so that it would be hard to get a hit on the had because of all the slopes and angles deflecting the bullets, like the maximus and corvus suits

and the maximus suits were designed utilising the basic shape of the terminator helmet, which was still in development then

Getz
21-04-2005, 15:39
Well they don't call the A-10 the SLUF for nothing...

Actually, I'm pretty sure the A7 Corsair was nicknamed the SLUF, not the A10...

charlie_c67
21-04-2005, 15:45
Probably, neither's the most attractive of planes, but they certainly do/did the job.

Brother Othorio
21-04-2005, 18:20
but the Terminator helmet was fine in it's original form and as such never changed.

actually the Terminator helmets original form was the unholy lovechild of a mk6 and a mk7.. (tho fluffwise it was what the mk5 helmet was based on)

oh, and i love the A-10!